Any information on West Sighbhum plants?

easa p.s.

Jul 21, 2011, 10:31:37 PM7/21/11
to indiantreepix
I am looking for details on the flora of Saranda and adjoining forests in Jharkhand. Any one know of a report/reference/papers?

Dr. P. S. Easa

Pravir Deshmukh

Jul 22, 2011, 1:48:30 AM7/22/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr. PS Easa

Please find the attache file of list of flora from Saranda Forest.

Also check on web for the EIA report of Chiria Mining you will gate all the information in it.

With Regards
Pravir
List of Plant from Saranda Forest near Chiria Mining Area.docx

easa p.s.

Jul 22, 2011, 11:57:03 AM7/22/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the information. The working plans are bit older. Is there any original work done by some one with a botany background. In fact, I had been to Chiria mine areas recently. Is there any publication based on recent surveys?

Easa

Jul 25, 2011, 12:44:05 AM7/25/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
I think both "sacred groves" and "naxallite prone forests" are effective in in situ plant conservation! ;)

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 25, 2011, 12:45:12 AM7/25/11
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
yes sort of!!

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Smilax004

Jul 25, 2011, 12:58:41 AM7/25/11
to efloraofindia
You are correct Vijay. When I visited MM hills in Karnataka, a
forested area where Veerapan use to live. People were saying that
after Veerapan death lots of buildings have come up in the name of Eco-
tourism and all. In fact the MM hills temple authority also
constructed lots of new buildings. These activities devastated lots of
forests around which was intact when Veerapan was there. ATREE
researchers who are working in these area are also supporting this
view and they were saying that forest department is not as effective
as Veerapan. However, we cannot avoid or ignore the fact that the
density or abundance of elephants and other animals had come down
during his ' tenure'.

Regards,
Giby

On Jul 25, 9:44 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think both "sacred groves" and "naxallite prone forests" are effective in
> *in situ* plant conservation! ;)
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi

Pravir Deshmukh

Jul 25, 2011, 1:01:16 AM7/25/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir

The list is prepared by me and my team members from NEERI in 2005 and 2006, when I am working in NEERI, Nagpur. The NEERI was doing EIA studies for Chiria Mine. The list attache in previous mail is the same which we given in EIA report of Chiri Mine.

With Regards

Pravir