Euphorbiaceae week

Rashida Atthar

Mar 6, 2011, 10:54:05 PM3/6/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
As most of you are aware, this month for a week starting Monday 7 March 2011 upto Sunday 13 March 2011 the family of focus on the group is Euphorbiaceae. It is a very important, large, interesting and fascinating family!

We have had very high standards of coordinating these family weeks starting with Dr. Balkar ji, Dr. Ritesh ji, Dinesh ji and  Mayur ji. Being a non-botanist I shall try to provide coordination to this  episode to the best possible  extent, within the constraints of time and my other commitments.

I shall also like to appeal to the many distinguished members who have joined recently and also who are present since a long time to participate and enrich this forum with their interactions and inputs. There are many new developments in the field which only experts can enlighten us on.  Hoping for  another great learning and enriching week on efloraofindia, here's my first very short write-up and pictures on Euphorbiaceae.

From the several postings we have  had on the family in the past years,   28 genus or so, the follwing have now been transferred to the Phyllanthaceae family as per Kew Plant LIst : Actephila, Antidesma, Aporosa, Baccaurea, Bridelia,  Cleistanthus, Glochidion,, Phyllanthus, Sauropus, Securinega. These aspects will need more discussions, inputs.

regards,
Rashida.
Euphorbiaceae Week-write up.docx

tanay bose

Mar 7, 2011, 12:03:18 AM3/7/11
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
The write-up is a nice one
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Rashida Atthar

Mar 7, 2011, 12:18:09 AM3/7/11
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanay !

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 7, 2011, 4:55:21 AM3/7/11
to Rashida Atthar, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Rashida ji, a nice write u
I suggest that we also encourage the upload of genera of Phyllanthaceae, because otherwise it may not be possible to have a separate episode for Phyllanthaceae.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Rashida Atthar

Mar 7, 2011, 5:31:31 AM3/7/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Sir  let us include genera Phyllanthaceae. So that includes all the  genera specified in the Kew Plant list which otherwise we have included in Euphorbiaceae in our database. We need to mention Euphorbiaceae-Phyllanthaceae +(Genus + species name of the plant being uploaded) in the subject line. Hope this is fine.

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 7, 2011, 5:45:49 AM3/7/11
to Rashida Atthar, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Rashida ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rashida Atthar

Mar 7, 2011, 6:04:55 AM3/7/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ok, Thankyou Sir.

regards,
Rashida.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Mar 7, 2011, 7:53:58 AM3/7/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All,

First of all I appreciate the concept of 'Family of the month' and
thank those who have taken efforts to compile. Many families have
already appeared. I do not know the sequence and the number of
families that are going to appear. I wish to make 'better late than
never' suggestions and request not to take these as interruption in
the current sincere efforts of the members. Pls excuse my ignorance if
whatever I am suggesting is already done.

After years of field work I am able to place plants (by observing and
remembering obvious similarities between them) into just a few
families. The dichotomous keys for families are available in floras
but they can not be recollected and applied to so many families in the
field. If a simple key based on field characters (not on dissected
parts) is made which may lead to a single or a few families, that can
be very useful for a non-botanist like me in placing a plant in a
(single or a few) family for easy ID of species. We can begin by
making a short list of leading families based on the number of species
occuring in India. The list can be of 24 to 36 families to last for
2-3 years' period. The brief features of these select leading families
can be tabulated and posted with each family. The sequence of families
can be as per the current system of classification. For every family,
before posting the plants an introduction to the family may be posted
so that members can look for those features appearing in plants being
posted. This can help to eradicate the apprehension about taxonomy and
will make the event interesting.

For example (Pls ignore the incorrectness if any) the following
information (highlighted in the table) so that the current family can
be compared with other families.

FAMILY Euphorbiaceae
COMMON NAME Spurge
EXAMPLE Castor
LEADING GENERA Euphorbia, Phyllanthus, Croton, Acalypha, Jatropha
COMPOSITION 300 genera, 5,000 species of herbs, shrubs and trees in
the world and .. genera, ..species in India
DISTRIBUTION Tropical
CLASSIFICATION Seeds containing 2 cotyledons, perianth 1-2 seriate in
unisexual flowers and absent in bisexual flowers, ovary superior, more
than 1 celled, inflorescence of a cyathium.
DIGNOSTIC FEATURES Leaves usually alternate, stipulate; plants with
milky latex; flowers usually unisexual on same or different plants,

I have been trying to update myself (thogh not yet familiar) on 'How
to ID a family' for a long time which I think is an intrinsic feature
of field botany. I am sure we have experts to generate better ideas on
this subject. Regards, Shrikant

On Mar 7, 3:45 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes Rashida ji
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Yes Sir  let us include genera Phyllanthaceae. So that includes all the
> >  genera specified in the Kew Plant list which otherwise we have included in
> > Euphorbiaceae in our database. We need to mention
> > Euphorbiaceae-Phyllanthaceae +(Genus + species name of the plant being
> > uploaded) in the subject line. Hope this is fine.
>
> > regards,
> > Rashida.
>
> > On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Yes Rashida ji, a nice write u
> >> I suggest that we also encourage the upload of genera of Phyllanthaceae,
> >> because otherwise it may not be possible to have a separate episode for
> >> Phyllanthaceae.
>
> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> >> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com

Rashida Atthar

Mar 7, 2011, 8:05:09 AM3/7/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
There have been request that I also send a copy in doc. format. Here it is. Sorry to all who could not open the docx format !

regards,
Rashida.

Euphorbiaceae Week-write up.docx
Euphorbiaceae Week-write up.doc

Rashida Atthar

Mar 7, 2011, 8:15:28 AM3/7/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thank you Shrikant ji for your inputs and ideas on developing keys which can be easily used in the field. I hope more suggestions come forward for the same and perhaps lead to the  necessary keys ! I have a small booklet developed by Dr. Milind Sardesai and Dr Yadav titled 'Keys to the Families of flowering plants of Maharashtra.'  A small booklet which can be carried around . Perhaps some of the aspects fits your thoughts.

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 7, 2011, 9:08:50 AM3/7/11
to Rashida Atthar, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Yes Shrikant ji, it can be done by individual efforts. Some time back I had prepared and posted a similar simple key for Species of Solanum. (Small steps towards eFlora of India). This idea of your can be slowly developed and imlemented.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rashida Atthar

Mar 7, 2011, 10:32:39 AM3/7/11
to Gurcharan Singh, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Would like to  share my thoughts  further - I have always felt this strong urge to be able to place plants seen in the field into families. After going for some  Botany trips am now able to identify some plants commonly seen and place them in thier families. But I feel that one has to master about 10 , 15 ,20 families initially, concentrate on them and their keys .  Interesting bit is many times one does not know any keys but yet identifies correctly by ones own key or identification clue. These are the aspects, unique indentification markers one uses, of some  selected families that could lead to some simplified set of keys as per Shrikant ji 's suggestion.

regards,
Rashida.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Mar 8, 2011, 12:06:49 AM3/8/11
to efloraofindia
Rashida ji, I have the booklet that you referred to. It is small
enough to carry but the key branches are too long to follow from page
to page, the number of families are too many to remember and the keys
are often based on disseccted parts seen under microscope. This is yet
the most useful key but can be used for herbarium specimens in a
laboratory. We need to reduce number of families and have keys
relating to field characters. Regards,

Rashida Atthar

Mar 8, 2011, 12:21:41 AM3/8/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Yes Shrikant ji . Toatally agree with the drawbacks with regards to the keys under discussion and need to have keys relating to field characters.. Infact when I met Dr. Sardesai at Aurangabad he had mentioned that more and more feedback is needed by those who use it and suggestions, critical evaluation, since they are working on bringing out the final keys book. Perhaps Dr. Sardesai  can enlighten us further on this .

We need to reduce the families to perhaps 30 or so and incorporate all our unique field markers, characters that we identify with, collate these together perhaps to evolve something more practical.

regards,
Rashida.

Samir Mehta

Mar 10, 2011, 10:32:48 PM3/10/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Rashida ji,

Some of us are unable to view your write up as it is in .docx
format;
Earnest request that please upload your write up in .doc format.

Kind Regards,

Samir

On Mar 7, 8:54 am, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *As most of you are aware, this month for a week starting Monday 7 March
> 2011 upto Sunday 13 March 2011 the family of focus on the group is
> Euphorbiaceae. It is a very important, large, interesting and fascinating
> family!*
> **
> *We have had very high standards of coordinating these family weeks starting
> with Dr. Balkar ji, Dr. Ritesh ji, Dinesh ji and  Mayur ji. Being a
> non-botanist I shall try to provide coordination to this  episode to the
> best possible  extent, within the constraints of time and my other
> commitments.   *
> **
> *I shall also like to appeal to the many distinguished members who have
> joined recently and also who are present since a long time to participate
> and enrich this forum with their interactions and inputs. There are many new
> developments in the field which only experts can enlighten us on.  Hoping
> for  another great learning and enriching week on efloraofindia, here's my
> first very short write-up and pictures on Euphorbiaceae. *
> **
> *From the several postings we have  had on the family in the past years,
>   28 genus or so, the follwing have now been transferred to the
> Phyllanthaceae family as per Kew Plant LIst : Actephila, Antidesma, Aporosa,
> Baccaurea, Bridelia,  Cleistanthus, Glochidion,, Phyllanthus, Sauropus,
> Securinega. These aspects will need more discussions, inputs.*
> **
> **
> *regards,*
> *Rashida.     *
>
>  Euphorbiaceae Week-write up.docx
> 325KViewDownload

Samir Mehta

Mar 10, 2011, 10:34:44 PM3/10/11
to efloraofindia
Please ignore earlier mail.
Apologies,
Samir

Rashida Atthar

Mar 11, 2011, 1:39:18 AM3/11/11
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
No problem Samir ji. Hope you were able to access the .doc document. I will be uploading more collated write- up after the week is over with more diagrams and break up of the Euphorbiaceae families and the genuses.

regards,
Rashida.