Flexigrid Status

Paulo

Sep 6, 2008, 10:45:15 AM9/6/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
As I've discussed in the CI forums, I will soon be releasing a new
update to Flexigrid, some might be shock but it will be sort of a
rewrite, which means some of the API might change. The goal of this
rewrite is threefold.

1. New CSS framework. The current CSS dies when it is mixed with some
other CSS, for example using Flexigrid in a Drupal website will cause
Flexigrid to look out of whacked :-(. The new CSS will be super
protected so as not to inherit unnecessary styling from other CSS
layouts. I will also make it possible to apply different styles on
different grids but on the same page.

2. Following the jQuery UI API format. Currently I’m not even sure if
Flexigrid is still in the running to becoming the official grid for
jQuery UI (long story), but I think their way is better and I’d like
to adapt some of their practices as to make it easy for me to
transition Flexigrid if it happens.

3. Better extensibility. Right now I’m glad and overwhelmed by the
number of guys wishing to contribute code for this project, the
problem is that its not always consistent with what I envision for the
plugin, which I wish to remain lightweight. That means I had to reject
a lot of contributions that are probably useful for someone but not
everyone.

So my solution is to open an API that will allow a developer to
replace any methods, without actually hacking my code. What does this
mean? This means, if you have a code for a better paging system, a
better handling of JSON object, fine. You can write a function that
will overwrite parts of Flexigrid without hacking the it. And other
users can just connect your code to Flexigrid and BAM! Everybody
happy.

P.S. Once this new version is released, I'll be opening the Google
Projects site of Flexigrid, so people who'd like to help with
documentation can help me there.

William Chang

Sep 8, 2008, 8:39:44 PM9/8/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
By the way, flexigrid is awesome so far. Please don't overwhelm
yourself if you don't have a lot of spare time. I agree with number 1
and number 3 (requesting single select only and "shift" key multiple
select), but not sure about number 2 because of the workload. I really
hate to see flexigrid to go MIA (missing in action) for a long period
of time.

Sincerely,
Will

EoN

Sep 13, 2008, 6:30:39 AM9/13/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
Hi,

Thanks for this status update, it's very much appreciated! As William
Chang said, I feel the "single select and shift/ctrl key multiple
select" is definitely the #1 wish for me.

I have just 3 questions about your post:

1. You say you will be releasing a new update to Flexgrid "soon". Can
you give any indication of WHEN this will be? Even an approximate?
I'm in the middle of deciding which grid to use for a new project (out
of Dojo, Ext, Flexigrid), and this information would be very
valuable.

2. Is there anywhere we can see which features will be included in
this new update?

3. You mentioned something about not being sure if flexigrid is still
in the running to becoming the official JQuery UI grid. Can you
elaborate on this? Do you know any more news in this regard? I would
like to hear the 'long story'! :)

Thanks again for all your hard work.

EoN

Wade Harrell

Sep 15, 2008, 2:37:14 PM9/15/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
I will echo the previous comments about requesting a guestimated time
frame for this new version.

I checked the flexgrid site a few moments ago as I am preparing to
start work on a project that will be using it. The project specs will
definitely require me to do a bit of tinkering with the code. Users
want to save and retrieve column order and display as the data set is
quite wide. They also want an "edit selected" feature that will allow
editing of specific columns in highlighted rows.

To read that you are planning a rewrite has given me a bit of pause,
as I must now decide if I should proceed with what exists or attempt
to delay development for an upcoming release. I do not wish to add
any pressure, but if you are thinking in the next week then I will
hold off, otherwise I will get started and perhaps attempt to retrofit
at some point in the future.

Murali Mohan

Sep 16, 2008, 10:29:29 AM9/16/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
I also have the same situation.

Frederico Carvalho

Oct 3, 2008, 10:33:01 AM10/3/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
Hello,
Any status update?

Thanks

William Chang

Oct 3, 2008, 5:55:19 PM10/3/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
His probably working on it. We will never know.

But, don't forget he is doing all this voluntarily. So, please be
patient and respectful.

Sincerely,
Will

EoN

Oct 13, 2008, 11:42:02 PM10/13/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
Hi,

Is there any news on this? No response for quite a while? There
hasn't been a version upgrade, or patches for a fairly long time. The
main website doesn't seem to have much new info?

I think this is a really good product, one that has already gained a
lot of interest, and could be on the verge of *really* taking off.
But that's not going to happen if there's no movement. Perhaps if the
main author of the product doesn't have time to work on it or respond
to questions or have a proper website, should perhaps open it up to
let other developers take part as well? You've created something
really impressive here - see it through! Or if you don't have time,
let someone else see it through!

For my last project I ended up choosing a different grid, because no-
one gave answers here. It's a real shame to think of how many people
are having to do the same, because flexigrid just needs a little bit
more work to bring it up to scratch.

Wade Harrell

Oct 24, 2008, 1:27:51 PM10/24/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
the last post to this forum from Paulo was on Sep 11
I understand people get busy, but I am a bit concerned this project
may be falling by the wayside.

I would like to suggest considering a merger with the 'jQuery Grid
Plugin' project. http://www.trirand.com/blog/

The two grids seem very similar in intent and the combined communities
would provide more momentum than either one on it's own. I feel
flexgrid is a bit more refined at this point (at least visually), but
will quickly be eclipsed by a more active project like jQ-GP

thoughts?

Rommel Manalo

Oct 25, 2008, 1:38:36 AM10/25/08
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I second the motion!!

Bao Nguyen Quoc

Oct 25, 2008, 2:14:36 AM10/25/08
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I agree with him too. I have been using flexigrid for a while, but sometime i need features from JQuery Grid plugin.
So why not merge into a big one ?
--
Creative Thinking - Comprehension Solutions

fireau

Oct 25, 2008, 11:41:22 AM10/25/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
I think the reason for what flexigrid is, is somehow being ignored
with this request. It is a lightweight grid, and what you are asking
for is in direct contradiction to what flexigirid aims for.
The main reason I chose to use flexigrid is because it is simple and
light. And I would seriousley rethink about using it if it becomes
heavy. If you want a grid that does everything, then there is a
consequence.
I do hope the author keeps it lightweight.

As for concern about the project, this is a free plugin. What else do
you expect? Just because the Author has not made an update in 4-5
weeks that does not mean the project is dead.

On Oct 25, 8:14 am, "Bao Nguyen Quoc" <qbao.ngu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with him too. I have been using flexigrid for a while, but sometime
> i need features from JQuery Grid plugin.
> So why not merge into a big one ?
>
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Rommel Manalo <manalo.rom...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > I second the motion!!

kgolding

Oct 25, 2008, 12:47:01 PM10/25/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
Well said. The author has given us a fantastic product, and has made
it open source letting us/anybody improve it and contribute. If the
authors of the other gird mentioned want to merge projects then they
can. But we can not make Paul do more than he has - give him a break
springs to mind!

As a coder myself, I am already making changes to flexigrid to make it
fit for my purpose. I will submit these changes back to the project
for others to use at their own choice, and if Paul wants to merge them
with the core product then great. If you aren't a coder then you can
still help by supporting in other ways - help files, documentation,
funding etc all spring to mind.

Kevin

Wade Harrell

Oct 27, 2008, 10:54:32 AM10/27/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
Not being ignored at all. If you look at what the other grid is
aspiring too, many of those features already exists within flexgrid
(their search/filtering is nicer though). If anything I would like to
see a jQuery grid sytem that reduces some of what flexgrid does into
separate plugins. For example, if my primary usage is ajax with json
then all the code that applies to XML or inline tables is bloat for
me. Breaking this out reduces the footprint. In the same regard,
inline pagination of a preloaded data set is a frequent feature
request, I would like to see that available, but not in the core.
This is the jQuery philosophy, which is why they did not go the Ext
route but left it up to others, like Paulo, to build plugins.

Initially I think the 'jQuery Grid Plugin' project would benefit the
most as many of their goals have already be accomplished and refined
by Paulo. In the long run though, active development will surpass
this. There are aspects of the flexgrid codeset that could be
improved, such as methods for data handling. We all have different
needs in our applications and each of those exposes ways the code can
be streamlined to increase functionality. Some of us will desire
inline editing (jQGP does this), others will want an edit selected
approach (I built something like this for my own uses), many will
desire the flexibility to use either as the need arises. A grid
plugin that can deal with thing like this, while keeping a small
footprint, helps us all.

I think flexgrid is the best looking jQuery grid out there. That was
also part of the goal since Ext Grid was set as the high water mark.
I would like to see it get better. When I see a more popular grid
(based on the listing at http://plugins.jquery.com/most_popular)
heading toward the same ends I have to ask myself, why is the wheel
being re-invented?

-wade

Paulo

Nov 4, 2008, 8:57:19 PM11/4/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
Hi,

Sorry about the delay, but here are answers to some of your questions:

1. Yup I did say 'soon'. But like the first flexigrid, the new
flexigrid is being built along with another big project. So if that
project is delayed, flexigrid is delayed.

2. The features is still up in the air. I have several cool things in
mind but I don't want to commit anything unless I'm sure it will be
included.

3. I hate long story's :-). But long story short, the jQuery UI team
has a very strict internal roadmap and schedule that I cannot commit
to. I tried to, but failed. I still think their project is cool and
would like to match their standards.

Paulo

tdhsaurabh

Nov 5, 2008, 2:26:44 AM11/5/08
to Flexigrid for jQuery
Hi,

Do FlexiGrid has some documentation where a beginner like me can
start.
I tried using FlexiGrid but failing may be i am new to this Jquery
world but,
i used http://www.trirand.com/blog/ And i was able to start with it
because they
have a very nice documentation.

But i want to use FlexiGrid as it is light and more presentable so
please any one suggest
me if we have any documentation. or something

aledr

Nov 5, 2008, 4:36:08 AM11/5/08
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Personally I would like auto and dynamic width for columns on FlexiGrid. =D
--
[ ]'s
Aledr - Alexandre

Max Romanovsky