eZ430-RF2560 debug messages

car...@k2.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp

Feb 18, 2012, 1:45:32 AM2/18/12
to btstack-dev
I was quite excited to see the addition of an eZ430-RF2560 directory
to btstack. Today I compiled the examples and uploaded a few to my
development kit. I've noticed that the led_counter program operates
correctly, but when I try to observe its debug messages I see things
like the following:

BTstack counter 0212

BTsBTacn 1
BTacn 217BTacn 2
BTacn 2

Usually the first message is clear but subsequent lines are garbled.
I'm assuming I should use /dev/ttyACM0 from Linux with the parameters
9600,8,N,1 to view the debug messages. The process I used was:

# checkout btstack
svn checkout http://btstack.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ btstack-read-
only

# place missing files into chipset-cc256x directory
# copy BTPSVEND.c to chipset-cc256x
# copy bluetooth_init_cc2560_2.42.bts to chipset-cc256x

# make examples
cd eZ430-RF2560/example
make

# program device
mspdebug rf2500 'prog led_counter.out'

# open serial connection
screen /dev/ttyACM0

Matthias Ringwald

Feb 21, 2012, 3:17:03 PM2/21/12
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carson

Someone on this list said he got BTstack working on that hardware. I've update the configuration to use the right UART/PINS/etc.. and gave it a quick spin. As far as I remember, the debug output was working fine, but I couldn't see my device in a device scan. Then some other task came along and I was already annoyed by the slowness of the spy-by-wire programming (using mspdebug->fet430-uif->battery holder->eZ430-RF2560 as I don't have much luck with the drivers for the TUSB3410 USB-2-UART chips).

Could you add a first printf("Started...\n") to see if the device is rebooting?

Could those guys getting BTstack to run on that device tell me what I've missed :) ?

Best
Matthias

car...@k2.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp

Feb 22, 2012, 4:48:50 AM2/22/12
to btstack-dev
Matthais,

Thanks for considering the matter. We put in the diagnostic printf you
suggested. Judging from its output and the counter I don't think it is
resetting. Here is a sample of the output after a initializing:

Stt.R.
BTacn 0
BTacn 002BTacn 0
BTcct 04BTtacoe 5BTacun

The initial text seems to have morphed from "Starting..." to "Stt.R."
The counter is steadily increasing but with each line the terminal
output is a bit scrambled. Just to be safe we tried it on the second
module supplied in the development kit and the results were the same
which may rule out a problem specific to one module.

I'd be curious if other eZ430-RF2560 can reproduce this problem. In
the mean time we'd be happy to try out further test cases to diagnose
the problem.

-carson-

On Feb 22, 5:17 am, Matthias Ringwald <matthias.ringw...@gmail.com>

Risto Kivela

Feb 22, 2012, 8:01:19 PM2/22/12
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias,

I've had BTstack running on the eZ430 board for a while now. I took a quick peek at your new files in the eZ430-RF2560 directory and it seems that the main program files spp_counter.c and spp_flowcontrol.c are missing the hal_uart_dma_init(); call from the main function. Also I have not been able to get anything running with eCHILL on, so I've just commented that out in the main function. With these two changes I can pair with your new eZ430 examples with my Android phone.

I haven't found the spywire programming that slow. I've been using the Windows FET-Pro430 Lite, which is free and supports eZ430 board. The blank checking needs to be turned off however. With that on it takes a while to program...

Thanks,

- Risto -

Feb 23, 2012, 8:59:00 AM2/23/12
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Risto

thanks for checking. Cool, you got farther then me with my code. :)

hal_uart_dma_init() is called during open() of src/hci_transport_h4_dma.c resp. src/hci_transport_h4_ehcill_dma.c

Has the debut output worked for you?

Best
Matthias

On Feb 23, 2012, at 2:01 AM, Risto Kivela wrote:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> I've had BTstack running on the eZ430 board for a while now. I took a quick peek at your new files in the eZ430-RF2560 directory and it seems that the main program files spp_counter.c and spp_flowcontrol.c are missing the hal_uart_dma_init(); call from the main function. Also I have not been able to get anything running with eCHILL on, so I've just commented that out in the main function. With these two changes I can pair with your new eZ430 examples with my Android phone.
>
> I haven't found the spywire programming that slow. I've been using the Windows FET-Pro430 Lite, which is free and supports eZ430 board. The blank checking needs to be turned off however. With that on it takes a while to program...
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Risto -

> --

Risto Kivela

Feb 23, 2012, 9:38:23 AM2/23/12
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the debug port worked fine @ 9600, 8, N, 1 settings on putty terminal. I didn't see any data corruption.

I did have the stock accelerometer up and running too on this eZ430 board with BTstack, using polling though. Using interrupts I had to disable the debug port as I didn't dive into correct int handling for enabling both interfaces - I'm not experienced in msp430 programming (or any C programming)...

Thanks,

- Risto -

Feb 25, 2012, 2:43:22 AM2/25/12
to btstack-dev
Dear Mitthias and Risto,

It appears that there is something specific to Ubuntu Linux 11.10
which is causing the garbling. From Windows 7 and PuTTY we're able to
connect to the device and see clear messages:

rfcomm_send_internal cid 117 doesn't exist!

BTstack counter 26230
rfcomm_send_internal cid 117 doesn't exist!

BTstack counter 26231

So now we're left to figure out what is specific about Ubuntu's
handling of the serial port as /dev/ttyACM0 is introducing the serial
communication errors. The garbled out put appears irrespective of
client (we've tried screen, minicom, cutecom, kermit so far).

Out of curiosity I thought I'd see what happen on OS X 10.7 and it
looks like by default a tty is not created. A console message states:

2/25/12 3:29:25.000 PM kernel: 0 0 AppleUSBCDCACMControl: start
- configureACM failed

But at least we're making some headway in diagnosing the problem. I'll
try a follow up question on askubuntu.com to see if we can get some
pointers about how to proceed with the Ubuntu specific problem.

-carson-

On Feb 23, 11:38 pm, Risto Kivela <risto_kiv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes, the debug port worked fine @ 9600, 8, N, 1 settings on putty terminal. I didn't see any data corruption.
>
> I did have the stock accelerometer up and running too on this eZ430 board with BTstack, using polling though. Using interrupts I had to disable the debug port as I didn't dive into correct int handling for enabling both interfaces - I'm not experienced in msp430 programming (or any C programming)...
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Risto -
>
> ________________________________

priyasheel

Feb 25, 2012, 8:45:08 AM2/25/12
to btstack-dev
Hi Risto,

Could you please tell what is "eCHILL" in spp_counter.c and
spp_flowcontrol.c ?

Thank you
Best,
Priyasheel

On Feb 23, 10:01 am, Risto Kivela <risto_kiv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> I've had BTstack running on the eZ430 board for a while now. I took a quick peek at your new files in the eZ430-RF2560 directory and it seems that the main program files spp_counter.c and spp_flowcontrol.c are missing the hal_uart_dma_init(); call from the main function. Also I have not been able to get anything running with eCHILL on, so I've just commented that out in the main function. With these two changes I can pair with your new eZ430 examples with my Android phone.
>
> I haven't found the spywire programming that slow. I've been using the Windows FET-Pro430 Lite, which is free and supports eZ430 board. The blank checking needs to be turned off however. With that on it takes a while to program...
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Risto -

priyasheel

Feb 25, 2012, 3:01:52 AM2/25/12
to btstack-dev
Hi Risto

Can you please explain what do you mean by eCHILL ?

Thanks
Best,
Priyasheel

On Feb 23, 10:01 am, Risto Kivela <risto_kiv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> I've had BTstack running on the eZ430 board for a while now. I took a quick peek at your new files in the eZ430-RF2560 directory and it seems that the main program files spp_counter.c and spp_flowcontrol.c are missing the hal_uart_dma_init(); call from the main function. Also I have not been able to get anything running with eCHILL on, so I've just commented that out in the main function. With these two changes I can pair with your new eZ430 examples with my Android phone.
>
> I haven't found the spywire programming that slow. I've been using the Windows FET-Pro430 Lite, which is free and supports eZ430 board. The blank checking needs to be turned off however. With that on it takes a while to program...
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Risto -

Risto Kivela

Feb 26, 2012, 6:29:06 PM2/26/12
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Priyasheel,

Sorry, I had a typo, I meant eHCILL. So what I commented out in main function was:

    // use eHCILL
//    bt_control_cc256x_enable_ehcill(1);

Thanks,

- Risto -

Feb 29, 2012, 5:08:34 AM2/29/12
to btstack-dev
Hi,

With the "eHCILL " commented out and "hal_uart_dma_init();" added to
the main function, the EZ430-RF2560 device can be detected by an
android
device/ computer running Ubuntu and OS X but this seems to be true
even if only "eHCILL " commented out without adding
"hal_uart_dma_init();" to the main function. On executing:

$ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
B8:FF:FE:AE:CB:E4 n/a

The device is listed as n/a. Similarly OS X lists the device type as
unknown. Furthermore sdptool provides the following output:

$ sdptool browse B8:FF:FE:AE:CB:E4
Failed to connect to SDP server on B8:FF:FE:AE:CB:E4: Host is down

I'd expect to see some sort of SPP Service class, but perhaps further
configuration is necessary. In any case thank you for helping us get
further along in our debugging experiments.

Best,
Priyasheel

On Feb 27, 8:29 am, Risto Kivela <risto_kiv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Priyasheel,
>
> Sorry, I had a typo, I meant eHCILL. So what I commented out in main function was:
>
>     // use eHCILL
> //    bt_control_cc256x_enable_ehcill(1);
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Risto -

Matthias Ringwald

Mar 2, 2012, 9:03:36 AM3/2/12
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Aside from the FET430 UIF, I haven't been able to get any of the TI devices with the TUSB3410 USB-to-UART chip to work on Mac. I'll have to admit, I gave up pretty quickly. I'm now just soldering wires to the UART debug lines and use on of those FTDI USB-2-UART boards that are popular with Android devices to get me a debug output.

For the eZ430-RF2560, it's easy to plug the device into the battery holder and solder wires to through holes there.

Best
Matthias

Matthias Ringwald

Mar 2, 2012, 9:06:01 AM3/2/12
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Risto

k. Noted. When I'll play with the eZ430-RF2560 next time, I'll double check the eHCILL stuff = setup of CTS lines and IRQ.

Best
Matthias

On Feb 27, 2012, at 12:29 AM, Risto Kivela wrote:

> Hi Priyasheel,
>
> Sorry, I had a typo, I meant eHCILL. So what I commented out in main function was:
>
> // use eHCILL
> // bt_control_cc256x_enable_ehcill(1);
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Risto -

> > --
>
> --

car...@k2.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp

Mar 15, 2012, 8:05:34 AM3/15/12
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
A short follow up on this issue. We did some testing with another notebook and the text came through clear. At this point the bug seems to be related to the combination particular notebook (Thinkpad X220) and Ubuntu version 11.10.

-carson-
> > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to btstack-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
>
> > --
>
> > --
>
> > --
>
> > --

priyasheel

Mar 19, 2012, 5:45:26 AM3/19/12
to btstack-dev
Hi,

The output string from "spp_flowcontrol.c" is sometimes garbled and
sometimes not (we even tried a fresh install on new hardware but still
the problem persists).
My msp430-gcc version is 4.5.3 and mspdebug version is 0.16. I am
curious, what version of msp430-gcc are you using for development?

Thank you

Priyasheel

On Mar 2, 11:06 pm, Matthias Ringwald <matthias.ringw...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Risto
>
> k. Noted. When I'll play with the eZ430-RF2560 next time, I'll double check the eHCILL stuff = setup of CTS lines and IRQ.
>
> Best
> Matthias
>
> On Feb 27, 2012, at 12:29 AM, Risto Kivela wrote:
>

> > Hi Priyasheel,
>
> > Sorry, I had a typo, I meant eHCILL. So what I commented out in main function was:
>
> >     // use eHCILL
> > //    bt_control_cc256x_enable_ehcill(1);
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > - Risto -

car...@k2.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp

Mar 26, 2012, 7:41:55 AM3/26/12
to btsta...@googlegroups.com

After many experiments we discovered that this "garbling" is due to interference between the program accessing the serial port (such as screen, kermit, or minicom) and mspdebug, which is used to load programs. During the programming process of the msp430 we can see a warning message from mspdebug indicating:

"Warning: rf2500: warning: can't detach kernel driver: No data available"

After seeing this message, the output of the msp430 is garbled and subsequent programming will be corrupted until there is a reboot. Perhaps mspdebug should exit when it can't detach the kernel driver? In any case this is not a btstack issue.

-carson-

Risto Kivela

Mar 27, 2012, 9:30:47 PM3/27/12
to Ralf Ackermann, btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ralf,

I'm guessing you were testing the test binary I sent to Martijn?

I didn't have ton's of time today after work to investigate, but I compared the files I downloaded about a month ago to test the spp_counter for Priyasheel (down in this thread) to ones I've been using for my project (these are from 10/29/2011). I downloaded a bluetooth spp tester and with new files I do see issues with connection going on and off with the new files.

With initial look it seems that there could be some issues with the new chipset files? I grabbed the old ones I was using and changed the new Makefile:

    ${BTSTACK_ROOT}/chipset-cc256x/bt_control_cc256x.c   \
    ${BTSTACK_ROOT}/chipset-cc256x/cc2567_init_script.c  \

With this change the spp_counter stays paired, the RFCOMM channel opens up and stays up, but the counter stops counting :) The red led does not flash anymore and debug terminal does not print any counts. With the old files the counter keeps counting... The bluetooth spp test application I was using was sending acccelerometer data towards the BTstack, but this should not make any difference.

Thanks,

- Risto -

Mar 27, 2012, 9:45:17 PM3/27/12
to btsta...@googlegroups.com, Ralf Ackermann
Just a quick additional note. The counter seems to stay counting with the new files (using the old chipset files) when the eZ430 module is not connected to the debug port, so it could be that the debug UART gets clogged up with all the accelerometer data from my phone. The red led flashes a lot so there's probably more data than 9600 bauds can handle...

- Risto -

Mar 29, 2012, 5:55:19 AM3/29/12
to btstack-dev
I used md5sum <file name> to generate the fingerprint for the files.

On Mar 29, 6:51 pm, priyasheel <priyasheel1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HiRisto,
>
> The fingerprint for the chipset files I'm using are as follows:
>
>     ${BTSTACK_ROOT}/chipset-cc256x/bt_control_cc256x.c
> \                  a530e26db25c9f57a42813bb3d74b396
>     ${BTSTACK_ROOT}/chipset-cc256x/cc2567_init_script.c
> \                  02833c6d4dc1b3bcdc84e5d7ff32d33b
>
> Could you confirm whether the chipset files which you are using are
> the same as mine. If not, where to find the ones you used ?
>
> Thank you
> Best,
> Priyasheel
>
> On Mar 28, 10:30 am,RistoKivela <risto_kiv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi Ralf,
>
> > I'm guessing you were testing the test binary I sent to Martijn?
>
> > I didn't have ton's of time today after work to investigate, but I compared the files I downloaded about a month ago to test the spp_counter for Priyasheel (down in this thread) to ones I've been using for my project (these are from 10/29/2011). I downloaded a bluetooth spp tester and with new files I do see issues with connection going on and off with the new files.
>
> > With initial look it seems that there could be some issues with the new chipset files? I grabbed the old ones I was using and changed the new Makefile:
>
> >     ${BTSTACK_ROOT}/chipset-cc256x/bt_control_cc256x.c   \
> >     ${BTSTACK_ROOT}/chipset-cc256x/cc2567_init_script.c  \
>
> > With this change the spp_counter stays paired, the RFCOMM channel opens up and stays up, but the counter stops counting :) The red led does not flash anymore and debug terminal does not print any counts. With the old files the counter keeps counting... The bluetooth spp test application I was using was sending acccelerometer data towards the BTstack, but this should not make any difference.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > -Risto-
>
> > ________________________________

Risto Kivela

Mar 29, 2012, 1:10:32 PM3/29/12
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Priyasheel,

bt_control_cc256x.c md5 hash is the same, but cc2567_init_script.c is different. But after running actual diffs on the repository and my files, I noticed one more major difference in the hal_usb.c: the USB RX IRQ vector

repository:
#ifdef USE_IRQ_RX
/************************************************************************/
interrupt(USCI_A1_VECTOR) USCI_A1_ISR (void)
{
  halUsbReceiveBuffer[bufferSize++] = UCA3RXBUF;
   __bic_SR_register_on_exit(LPM3_bits);
}
#endif

my file:
#ifdef USE_IRQ_RX
/************************************************************************/
interrupt(USCI_A3_VECTOR) USCI_A3_ISR (void)
{
  halUsbReceiveBuffer[bufferSize++] = UCA3RXBUF;
   __bic_SR_register_on_exit(LPM3_bits);
}
#endif

Could you take a look if this makes any difference for you - it's working on my eZ430 boards. I was using for chipset driver the latest:
    ${BTSTACK_ROOT}/chipset-cc256x/bt_control_cc256x.c   \
    ${BTSTACK_ROOT}/chipset-cc256x/bluetooth_init_cc2560_2.44.c \

So let's try this first. If it does not work for you, I'll start sending you my files, starting with the binary so that you can test your HW.

Thanks,

- Risto -

Mar 29, 2012, 11:52:43 PM3/29/12
to btsta...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I had more time today to debug this issue. Instead of comparing more of my messy files from last year :), I checked out the latest btstack (revision 1640) to get a fresh start and tried to make it to work on my eZ430 board. After trying all kinds of things it seems that my eZ430 board works fine with this revision when it's connected to a windows PC via the USB dongle that came with the kit. I can reset the board either with the reset button or using FET-Pro430, and board pairs again and works. Trying to run as stand alone (i.e. with the battery pack or in my analyzer) nothing works (except LEDs), no pairing, nothing - there is no debug UART in either - why would this make a difference?. Now, my boards are modified, but only the analog ports in J3 are used - everything else is stock, so my HW should compare with the stock kit.

I guess the the way I got this revision to work as stand alone was to use the repository checkout and only use cc2567_init_script.c instead of the bluetooth_init_cc2560_2.xx.c. cc2567_init_script.c seems to be a variant of cc256x_init_script. With this the spp_counter binary pairs as stand alone with my hacked Android ICS 4.0.3 phone and connects with my app + a spp terminal app. I can see the counts in the terminal app just fine. Disconnect, unpair, pair, connect, etc all work w/o reset (at least a few rounds).

So I've attached here the cc2567_init_script.c I've been using. Seems to make a difference on my board...

Thanks,

- Risto -

Apr 2, 2012, 6:51:19 AM4/2/12
to btstack-dev
Hi,

With the new "cc2567_init_script.c" file in the .../chipset-cc256x
folder, we executed the following commands (after deleting the .o
files)

$ ./convert_bts_init_scripts.py
$ ./create_cc256x_init_scripts.py

and then in .../example directory, we executed

$ make clean
$ make

and then programmed the device with "spp_flowcontrol.c".

$ mspdebug rf2500 'prog spp_flowcontrol.out'

We then tried to connect to the device (we could proceed up to the
following steps)...

$ sudo bluez-simple-agent hci0 B8:FF:FE:AE:CB:E4

RequestPinCode (/org/bluez/1091/hci0/dev_B8_FF_FE_AE_CB_E4)

Enter PIN Code: 0000

Release

Creating device failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not
receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did
not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

We may have succeeded in pairing with the device but not actually
sending data. Anyways, thanks a lot for the invaluable help.

priyasheel