Paper folding test

Pontus Granström

Dec 18, 2010, 7:31:42 AM12/18/10
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
http://www.cs.otago.ac.nz/brace/resources/Paper%20Folding%20Test%20Vz-2-BRACE%20Version%2007.pdf

Here's a copy of the VZ-2 paper folding test I also miraculously found the answer key as well. Give it a go, average is around 13, SD~3. 3 min for each section and don't cheat with the answer key ;-)

*** ANSWER KEY ***

Part Two

moe

Dec 18, 2010, 9:07:18 AM12/18/10
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Nice find Pontus. Got em all right but I guess it doesn't count
because I didn't run a timer.

Here's another fun spatial test for you guys

http://www.brainbashers.com/showpuzzles.asp?puzzle=ZMZLZRFGZAUEZNMVZBQSZDYR

On Dec 18, 7:31 am, Pontus Granström <lepon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.cs.otago.ac.nz/brace/resources/Paper%20Folding%20Test%20Vz...

Pheonoxia

Dec 19, 2010, 12:48:45 PM12/19/10
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I missed #18 only, scoring 19/20 in the allotted time.

2 standard deviations, sounds about right

Pontus Granström

Dec 19, 2010, 12:51:48 PM12/19/10
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I never understood #15, what's the deal? There's no new "folding instruction" from square one to two.

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Pheonoxia <b...@brockman.info> wrote:
I missed #18 only, scoring 19/20 in the allotted time.

2 standard deviations, sounds about right

Pontus Granström

Dec 19, 2010, 12:54:52 PM12/19/10
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Actually I got it now, they fold the top paper once to make a triangle, resulting in 3 dots from the low right corner diagnol up 2 more dots.

Joe G

Dec 19, 2010, 4:17:10 PM12/19/10
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Scored 19. Missed only #7. I tend to make those sorts of silly
mistakes when under time pressure...

On Dec 19, 5:54 pm, Pontus Granström <lepon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually I got it now, they fold the top paper once to make a triangle,
> resulting in 3 dots from the low right corner diagnol up 2 more dots.
>
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Pontus Granström <lepon...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > I never understood #15, what's the deal? There's no new "folding
> > instruction" from square one to two.
>
> > On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Pheonoxia <b...@brockman.info> wrote:
>
> >> I missed #18 only, scoring 19/20 in the allotted time.
>
> >> 2 standard deviations, sounds about right
>
> >> --
> >> .

Pontus Granström

Dec 19, 2010, 4:20:09 PM12/19/10
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it's quite tight, only 18 seconds per question.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

αrgvmziΩ σV

Dec 22, 2010, 2:19:09 PM12/22/10
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Finished at 5m 20s (took 3m for Pt.1) with 100%. Felt like a joke.

#15 is pretty darn simple: first square shows a diagonal fold; second
shows the bottom-right corner being folded over; punching through
makes for 3 holes.

Where can I find the stats on this, anyway?

argumzio

Pontus Granström

Dec 22, 2010, 2:25:29 PM12/22/10
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
http://www.herdsa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/conference/2005/papers/raadt.pdf

Seems to hold little predictive power for computer programmers.

Nur Ikhwan

Mar 17, 2014, 1:07:37 PM3/17/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Is there any norms for this test?

Pontus Granström

Mar 17, 2014, 2:51:59 PM3/17/14
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
13 average sd 3. Is there anyone who is going to argue this isn't a working memory test?

Brandon Woodson

Mar 17, 2014, 4:38:44 PM3/17/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Fun test. So a perfect score is just over 2 SD, I see... I wonder if I can qualify for Mensa with this. :)

--Brandon

Mercel

Mar 17, 2014, 7:29:08 PM3/17/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, but this test is a joke. If anything it illustrates the meaninglessness in using time as an important variable in psychometric testing.

polar

Mar 18, 2014, 4:49:30 AM3/18/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I dont know this test, and agree that its too simple.. here is an example of paper folding SB subtest
https://copy.com/K7vlPmQw7yz6tr1m

Pontus Granström

Mar 18, 2014, 5:34:25 AM3/18/14
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence

Difficult question: answer number one is correct?

Pontus Granström

Mar 18, 2014, 5:41:33 AM3/18/14
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Number four of course...

Pontus Granström

Mar 18, 2014, 5:45:31 AM3/18/14
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
lol number two...

Pontus Granström

Mar 18, 2014, 5:49:22 AM3/18/14
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
nah I stick with number one

Brandon Woodson

Mar 18, 2014, 10:13:45 AM3/18/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
easy: 2; difficult: 1

--Brandon

Pontus Granström

Mar 18, 2014, 10:22:37 AM3/18/14
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence

Working memory test

Brandon Woodson

Mar 18, 2014, 10:47:51 AM3/18/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
You, again? ;) In my defense, so is the digit span, forwards and backwards!

OAN: Just based on the answer pool, it seems easy enough that, in a pinch, one could rapidly and accurately guess on many of these with no or minimal spatial manipulation. (4 doesn't have enough folds; 3 is asymmetrical w.r.t to the fold; and 2 is just...yeah, 2)

I would guess this task - and others like it - have an insane practice effect.

--Brandon

Pontus Granström

Mar 18, 2014, 10:52:08 AM3/18/14
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence

Yes you can apply a lot of techniques to speed up the process. Easiest to me is to fold the answers which is very easy due to symmetry and overlapping

Pontus Granström

Mar 19, 2014, 3:04:23 AM3/19/14
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
This is also a reason why most visual tests loads very low in the Gv-factor.

Pontus Granström

Mar 19, 2014, 3:06:06 AM3/19/14
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
And, managing your working memory is what "G" really is, the common
factor of all cognitive tests, efficient and good ways to reduce the
working memory load so the problem can be solved.

Ernie Pinto

Apr 23, 2014, 3:00:45 PM4/23/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Part Two Question #20, the answer should be A instead of C?

Sheyda Manouchehr

Oct 25, 2016, 2:34:19 PM10/25/16
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Do you have any source that shows the average score is 13?

Graham

Nov 20, 2016, 7:05:12 PM11/20/16
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Bump.