Build Error during Make

Rudster816

Jul 6, 2010, 9:58:44 AM7/6/10
to Android Building
I just downloaded the Android source from the repo for the first time,
and now when I attempt to make it I get the following error. All the
tools I have are up to date as far as I know, and I followed the guide
here precisely.

http://source.android.com/source/download.html

It looks like im missing a header from somewhere, but I have no idea
on how to fix this.

riley@riley-desktop:~/androidbuild$ make
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=AOSP
PLATFORM_VERSION=AOSP
TARGET_PRODUCT=generic
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=eng
TARGET_SIMULATOR=
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=OPENMASTER
Install: out/host/linux-x86/framework/apicheck.jar
Install: out/host/linux-x86/framework/clearsilver.jar
Install: out/host/linux-x86/framework/droiddoc.jar
host C: libclearsilver-jni <= external/clearsilver/java-jni/
j_neo_util.c
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:378,
from /usr/include/string.h:26,
from external/clearsilver/java-jni/j_neo_util.c:1:
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:9:27: error: gnu/stubs-64.h: No such file or
directory
make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libclearsilver-
jni_intermediates/j_neo_util.o] Error 1

frank.sposaro

Jul 7, 2010, 2:39:18 PM7/7/10
to Android Building
Hi. I have not seen this error for myself, but it looks java related
error along with gcc. Not being able to find the 64 bit stub file
probably means you need to double check how many bits your platform
is. I've read that the new build requires java 1.6 and 64 bit. I know
itusually cried if you have the wrong version of java, but idk if it
checks for 64 if you do have 64 make sure you have the correct
version of gcc

Ying Wang

Jul 7, 2010, 2:50:09 PM7/7/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com, Jeff Hamilton, Joe Onorato
Yes, the build system assumes you are building on a 64-bit host (maybe mistakenly, does other parts enforce a 64-bit environment?).
I can make a fix, however, I can't verify it for I don't have a 32-bit host available.

Garret

Jul 7, 2010, 3:03:07 PM7/7/10
to Android Building

David Lindquist

Jul 7, 2010, 3:14:23 PM7/7/10
to Android Building
From what I can see, this was introduced with:
https://review.source.android.com/15611

Particularly, the diffs here:
https://review.source.android.com/#p...,cs/Android.mk

+# This forces a 64-bit build for Java6
+ifneq ($(filter 1.6%,$(java_version)),)
+ LOCAL_CFLAGS += -m64
+ LOCAL_LDFLAGS += -m64
+endif
+

(Logic: if Java 1.6 is installed, assume that the host is a 64-bit
machine)

Downgrading Java to 1.5 allows compilation to succeed for the generic-
eng / full-eng build. So, I think I can safely say that nothing else
enforces a 64-bit environment. If there was a 64-bit enforcement,
wouldn't it be enforced in build/core/main.mk?

Frank, where did you read that the new build requires a 64-bit host?

On Jul 7, 11:50 am, Ying Wang <wangy...@android.com> wrote:
> Yes, the build system assumes you are building on a 64-bit host (maybe
> mistakenly, does other parts enforce a 64-bit environment?).
> I can make a fix, however, I can't verify it for I don't have a 32-bit host
> available.
>
> > android-buildi...@googlegroups.com<android-building%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

David Lindquist

Jul 7, 2010, 3:47:44 PM7/7/10
to Android Building
On Jul 7, 11:50 am, Ying Wang <wangy...@android.com> wrote:
> Yes, the build system assumes you are building on a 64-bit host (maybe
> mistakenly, does other parts enforce a 64-bit environment?).
> I can make a fix, however, I can't verify it for I don't have a 32-bit host
> available.

I'd be happy to verify with a 32-bit host.

Ying Wang

Jul 7, 2010, 6:07:48 PM7/7/10
to Android Building, jo...@android.com
Joe said that the build now requires a 64 bit environment.
So maybe we have to stop supporting 32-bit build environment since
Java6?

Manfred Moser

Jul 7, 2010, 6:31:09 PM7/7/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to but in but Java6 is available for 32 and 64 bit. There is no
correlation between them that necessitates this. What would be the
reason to force 64 bit?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 7, 2010, 6:36:54 PM7/7/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Java6 is not available in 32-bit on all platforms.

Given that all of Google's development and testing happens on builds
created on 64-bit machines, there's some level of risk in letting
device manufacturers use 32-bit environments as we don't know what
happens in those cases. Java6 allows us to standardize on 64-bit and
eliminate that risk.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Manfred Moser

Jul 7, 2010, 6:40:14 PM7/7/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough. Thats a good reason. Thanks for clarifying.

Garret

Jul 7, 2010, 6:46:31 PM7/7/10
to Android Building
This page

http://source.android.com/source/download.html

indicates that

"Ubuntu Linux (64-bit x86)
This has not been as well tested."

- Garret

On Jul 7, 12:36 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Java6 is not available in 32-bit on all platforms.
>
> Given that all of Google's development and testing happens on builds
> created on 64-bit machines, there's some level of risk in letting
> device manufacturers use 32-bit environments as we don't know what
> happens in those cases. Java6 allows us to standardize on 64-bit and
> eliminate that risk.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Manfred Moser <mosa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry to but in but Java6 is available for 32 and 64 bit. There is no
> > correlation between them that necessitates this. What would be the
> > reason to force 64 bit?

Ying Wang

Jul 7, 2010, 6:56:02 PM7/7/10
to Android Building, jo...@android.com, jh...@android.com
So let's enforce a 64-bit build environment?
Just like what have enforced Java6, check if the host is 64-bit system
before doing any build.
I will be happy to make the change.. :-)

On Jul 7, 3:36 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Java6 is not available in 32-bit on all platforms.
>
> Given that all of Google's development and testing happens on builds
> created on 64-bit machines, there's some level of risk in letting
> device manufacturers use 32-bit environments as we don't know what
> happens in those cases. Java6 allows us to standardize on 64-bit and
> eliminate that risk.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Manfred Moser <mosa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry to but in but Java6 is available for 32 and 64 bit. There is no
> > correlation between them that necessitates this. What would be the
> > reason to force 64 bit?

Tiago Vieira

Jul 8, 2010, 8:34:22 AM7/8/10

On 7 Jul 2010, at 23:36, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:

> Java6 is not available in 32-bit on all platforms.
>
> Given that all of Google's development and testing happens on builds
> created on 64-bit machines, there's some level of risk in letting
> device manufacturers use 32-bit environments as we don't know what
> happens in those cases. Java6 allows us to standardize on 64-bit and
> eliminate that risk.

Ah! So, that explains the problem I'm getting with the libz.so as well. I'm trying to build on a 32bits Ubuntu.

Tiago

> --
> Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
> Software Engineer, Android Open-Source Project, Google.
>
> Questions sent directly to me that have no reason for being private
> will likely get ignored or forwarded to a public forum with no further
> warning.

Brian Austin

Jul 8, 2010, 2:49:56 PM7/8/10
to Android Building
But for platforms that have 32-bit java6? Just let the compile fail?

A warning about untested 32-bit builds would be sufficient enough.
Forcing 32/64 compiles without any documentation or printouts of
warnings is not a very flexible way to code IMO.

There needs to be more data to suggest that it is mandatory

robert.m...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2010, 7:20:51 PM7/9/10
to Android Building
Hmmm.... Did I miss something ?

manningr@dell-devpc:~/mydroid-2.2_r1.1$ uname -a
Linux dell-devpc 2.6.31-22-generic #60-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 27 02:41:03
UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
manningr@dell-devpc:~/mydroid-2.2_r1.1$ repo init -u
git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b android-2.2_r1.1

<snip>

manningr@dell-devpc:~/mydroid-2.2_r1.1$ mm sdk
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
PLATFORM_VERSION=2.2
TARGET_PRODUCT=generic
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=eng
TARGET_SIMULATOR=
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=FRF91
Checking build tools versions...
You are attempting to build with the incorrect version
of java.

Your version is: java version "1.6.0_14".
The correct version is: 1.5.

Please follow the machine setup instructions at
http://source.android.com/download
build/core/main.mk:117: *** stop. Stop.

On Jul 7, 6:36 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Java6 is not available in 32-bit on all platforms.
>
> Given that all of Google's development and testing happens on builds
> created on 64-bit machines, there's some level of risk in letting
> device manufacturers use 32-bit environments as we don't know what
> happens in those cases. Java6 allows us to standardize on 64-bit and
> eliminate that risk.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Manfred Moser <mosa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry to but in but Java6 is available for 32 and 64 bit. There is no
> > correlation between them that necessitates this. What would be the
> > reason to force 64 bit?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 9, 2010, 7:41:57 PM7/9/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
2.2_r1.1 is a variant of froyo, which needs to be built with JDK 1.5.

JBQ

robert.m...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2010, 9:56:36 PM7/9/10
to Android Building

Oh, so the trunk requires 64-bit Java6, but the latest release version
(2.2_r1.1) still requires Java1.5 - correct ?

Rob

On Jul 9, 7:41 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> 2.2_r1.1 is a variant of froyo, which needs to be built with JDK 1.5.
>
> JBQ
>
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Robert.M.Mann...@gmail.com

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 9, 2010, 11:20:27 PM7/9/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That's correct.

All the open-source codelines that mirror Google's internal froyo
branches (i.e. froyo and the various android-2.2) use 1.5 like
Google's matching internal codelines do, since that is the version
that Google developed and tested with through the entire froyo
development cycle.

We backported the changes to switch to version 1.6 (64-bit) from our
internal master branch to the open-source master just as we switched
our internal master branch to 1.6, since from that point there was no
requirement for contributions to the open-source master branch to
build under 1.5 any more.

JBQ

mri...@nii.net

Jul 12, 2010, 2:00:55 PM7/12/10
to Android Building
So, I'm probably not getting what's going on here, but how does this
work out for building ARM code? Seems compiling things like external/
clearsilver/java-jni/j_neo_cs.c, which uses jlongs for pointers, could
be rough.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 12, 2010, 2:07:51 PM7/12/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The code in question is purely host-side (i.e. x86_64). Target-side
aspects are unchanged.

JBQ

mri...@nii.net

Jul 13, 2010, 9:22:45 AM7/13/10
to Android Building
If it is of interest to anyone, simply commenting out the many:

+# This forces a 64-bit build for Java6
+ifneq ($(filter 1.6%,$(java_version)),)
+ LOCAL_CFLAGS += -m64
+ LOCAL_LDFLAGS += -m64
+endif

blocks lets it build just fine on a 32-bit system (at least the
emulator seems to run ok).
Sun does have a Java 1.6 for 32-bit systems (jdk-6u21-linux-i586.bin).
Mike

Austin, Brian

Jul 13, 2010, 1:08:50 PM7/13/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I have posted about this patch as well, but have not gotten any feedback
from the maintainers about it that much. It seems very plausible to
allow a check for 32bit and issue a warning about "possible"
irregularities in doing a 32bit build. This patch seems very
constrictive to me.

brian

Chris C.

Jul 29, 2010, 5:55:50 PM7/29/10
to Android Building
So, does this mean that development under Snow Leopard will now become
supported with the addition of Java 6?

Chris

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 29, 2010, 5:59:33 PM7/29/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know there are still some issues (which may or may not be
related to the version of XCode used locally), but the switch to JDK
1.6 should remove one of the hurdles.

JBQ

Dirk Jäckel

Jul 29, 2010, 7:54:25 PM7/29/10
to Android Building
Hi!

I know, its not supported to build with Snow Leopard. I just wanted to
let you know that I did successfully built master (as of some hours
ago) with my MacBook running Snow Leopard (64bit).

At first glance it looks the same as the Ubuntu (32bit) build. Wifi
and GSM are working

Dirk

On Jul 29, 11:59 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> As far as I know there are still some issues (which may or may not be
> related to the version of XCode used locally), but the switch to JDK
> 1.6 should remove one of the hurdles.
>
> JBQ

Dmitry Moskalchuk

Sep 2, 2010, 8:21:07 PM9/2/10
to Android Building
Hi,

It looks ugly from my point of view. Java6 has nothing to 32/64 bit.
For example, gcc installed into redhat x86 based distributions simply
can not produce 64-bit code. In this case option -m64 just fail the
build. I just bumped with that - I have server with redhat 5 and yes,
there is x86_64 processor but OS itself is 32-bit.

Dmitry Moskalchuk

On 13 июл, 21:08, "Austin, Brian" <Brian.Aus...@cirrus.com> wrote:
> I have posted about this patch as well, but have not gotten any feedback
> from the maintainers about it that much.  It seems very plausible to
> allow a check for 32bit and issue a warning about "possible"
> irregularities in doing a 32bitbuild.  This patch seems very
> constrictive to me.
>
> brian

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 3, 2010, 10:14:06 AM9/3/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Actually, 32/64 bit does matter:

-there doesn't seem to be a way for a 64-bit JVM to load a 32-bit JNI library.

-there doesn't seem to be a way for a 32-bit JVM to allocate more than
a few GB of RAM.

JBQ

Dmitry Moskalchuk

Sep 3, 2010, 11:53:07 AM9/3/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Well, you're right but again, it should not be hardcoded in that way. Now there is condition - enable 64-bit build if Java6 used. Looks ugly because I absolutely don't see reason for such relation. What I suggest is separate option to enable 64-bit build (it could be enabled by default) but it should not be related to Java version. Otherwise you break build on all linux i[3456]86 distros which have disabled x86_64 code producing in theirs gcc packages (such as redhat based distros - redhat EL, centos, fedora).

--
Dmitry Moskalchuk

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 3, 2010, 11:55:35 AM9/3/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
If you can figure out how to make it work with Ubuntu (Hardy and
Lucid) and MacOS (10.5 and 10.6), I'll ask our build system guys to
look at your contribution.

Thanks,
JBQ

Dmitry Moskalchuk

Sep 3, 2010, 11:59:36 AM9/3/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, got it. Will try to figure out.

--
Dmitry Moskalchuk

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 3, 2010, 12:03:13 PM9/3/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention - it also needs to work in situations where a
(32-bit) Java 5 is installed and is actually the one in the path. We
(Android engineers at Google) need both Java 5 and Java 6 on our
machines.

JBQ

Rehmet

Sep 3, 2010, 2:56:22 PM9/3/10
to Android Building
Hi Jean,

I used the commands in the http://source.android.com/source/download.html
mkdir mydroid
cd mydroid
repo sync

rehmet@nusantara-el:~/mydroid$ make
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=AOSP
PLATFORM_VERSION=AOSP
TARGET_PRODUCT=generic
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=eng
TARGET_SIMULATOR=
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=OPENMASTER
Checking build tools versions...
You are attempting to build with the incorrect version
of java.

Your version is: java version "1.5.0_22".
The correct version is: 1.6.

Please follow the machine setup instructions at
http://source.android.com/source/download.html
build/core/main.mk:114: *** stop. Stop.

What is wrong here?

I am intending to port Android on some device, so, I think I'd better
start with Android 1.0 or 1.5?

Thanks.

On Jul 10, 6:41 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> 2.2_r1.1 is a variant of froyo, which needs to be built with JDK 1.5.
>
> JBQ
>
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Robert.M.Mann...@gmail.com

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 3, 2010, 2:59:13 PM9/3/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
If you're trying to port, you should be using the latest
tagged/numbered version, which is android-2.2_r1.1 at the moment.
Those still require Java 5 to build.

JBQ

Rehmet

Sep 3, 2010, 3:53:50 PM9/3/10
to Android Building
Thanks Jean,

Now, I am emulating these websites

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Android_on_Ubuntu_10.04
http://www.omappedia.org/wiki/Android_Getting_Started

However, when I had error when I tried tagging:
~/mydroid $ git tag
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

And, I did not get /vendor in magnifest.git
What seems to be the problem?

OK, now
$ repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b
android-2.2_r1.1
OK, I just did that in a new folder and now, after filling up my name
and email
$ repo sync

I'll get back to you.

On Sep 4, 1:59 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> If you're trying to port, you should be using the latest
> tagged/numbered version, which is android-2.2_r1.1 at the moment.
> Those still require Java 5 to build.
>
> JBQ
>
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Rehmet <rgnurrah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Jean,
>
> > I used the commands in thehttp://source.android.com/source/download.html

> read more »

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 3, 2010, 3:57:52 PM9/3/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The top of the source tree isn't a git instance (because git instances
can't be nested), so you can't run git commands directly from there.

As of froyo (a few months ago), there's no vendor/ tree in the
open-source build any more. All the stuff that used to be there in
donut has been merged into the main platform code.

JBQ

Message has been deleted

Rehmet

Sep 4, 2010, 6:33:31 AM9/4/10
to Android Building
It seems that I need to add these to get it built

ginanjar@nusantara-el:/usr/bin$ sudo update-alternatives --install /
usr/bin/jar jar /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_22/bin/jar 50
update-alternatives: using /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_22/bin/jar to provide /
usr/bin/jar (jar) in auto mode.
ginanjar@nusantara-el:/usr/bin$ sudo update-alternatives --install /
usr/bin/javah javah /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_22/bin/javah 50
update-alternatives: using /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_22/bin/javah to provide /
usr/bin/javah (javah) in auto mode.
ginanjar@nusantara-el:/usr/bin$ sudo update-alternatives --install /
usr/bin/javadoc javadoc /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_22/bin/javadoc 50
update-alternatives: using /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_22/bin/javadoc to
provide /usr/bin/javadoc (javadoc) in auto mode.

On Sep 4, 2:57 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> The top of the source tree isn't a git instance (because git instances
> can't be nested), so you can't run git commands directly from there.
>
> As of froyo (a few months ago), there's no vendor/ tree in the
> open-source build any more. All the stuff that used to be there in
> donut has been merged into the main platform code.
>
> JBQ

> read more »

Rehmet

Sep 9, 2010, 3:30:26 AM9/9/10
to Android Building
Hi Jean,

What is Linux Kernel equivalent for this version? I think I need to
patch my linux distribution with this version of android kernel.

On Sep 4, 1:59 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> If you're trying to port, you should be using the latest
> tagged/numbered version, which is android-2.2_r1.1 at the moment.
> Those still require Java 5 to build.
>
> JBQ
>
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Rehmet <rgnurrah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Jean,
>
> > I used the commands in thehttp://source.android.com/source/download.html
>
> read more »

Tiago Vieira

Sep 9, 2010, 9:15:26 AM9/9/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
So, how I would be managing the products I created on vendor/ when I port to Froyo?

I work with 3 different devices (three different ODMs), 4 products for each.

I presume that the devices I will be porting to the new folder device/, but what about the products ?

Thanks,
Tiago

Rehmet

Sep 11, 2010, 3:48:46 PM9/11/10
to Android Building
Dear Jean,

I hope I didn't create misunderstanding, what I mean by porting is not
a full product, I just need
to bring it up / display, no other application shall be added? Should
I still use android-2.2_r1.1?
Or 1.5 would be easier to be used as patch and ported? (smaller files
and functionality)

> read more »

Rehmet

Sep 11, 2010, 3:54:19 PM9/11/10
to Android Building
So, it is http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.2-highlights.html#PlatformTechnologies

2.6.32 kernel upgrade

* HIGHMEM support for RAM >256MB
* SDIO scheduling and BT improvements

My next question would be how much are RAM and ROM requirements?