Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

=SDC= Q17: Sold out

Visto 12 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Jerry Friedman

no leída,
1 sept 2012, 23:57:461/9/12
Urdu is the source of this word, which has a homonym in the thesaurus.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Alan Curry

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 2:06:162/9/12
In article <e53b3034-14eb-4769...@n9g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>Urdu is the source of this word, which has a homonym in the thesaurus.

Does some thesaurus thinks "bizarre" sounds like "bazaar"? The "i" and "a"
are distinct to me.

--
Alan Curry

Harrison Hill

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 3:28:412/9/12
On 2 Sep, 07:06, pac...@kosh.dhis.org (Alan Curry) wrote:
> In article <e53b3034-14eb-4769-b8be-0a2c1283c...@n9g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
> Jerry Friedman  <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>
> >Urdu is the source of this word, which has a homonym in the thesaurus.
>
> Does some thesaurus thinks "bizarre" sounds like "bazaar"? The "i" and "a"
> are distinct to me.

As is "Italian" and "Urdu" to me.

Harrison Hill

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 3:41:532/9/12
"Punch".

It has to be less obvious than this, but wiki's handy "List of English
words of Hindi or Urdu origin" is starting point for people like me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Hindi_or_Urdu_origin

It is the way we are these days - knowledge condensed down into
factoid lists. Wiki only grudgingly recognises one of the greatest
writers in world literature:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_de_Joinville

Mark Brader

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 4:29:552/9/12
Alan Curry:
> Does some thesaurus thinks "bizarre" sounds like "bazaar"? The "i" and "a"
> are distinct to me.

Schwa and schwa for me.
--
Mark Brader | "It seems my sense of humour is out of step
Toronto | not only with rec.puzzles, but with reality itself."

Alan Curry

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 4:39:182/9/12
In article <69f95a63-c399-4b5e...@gk4g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
I took http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_terms_derived_from_Urdu
as good enough. Nobody's saying I'm right though.

--
Alan Curry

Guy Barry

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 4:41:352/9/12

"Mark Brader" wrote in message

> Alan Curry:
> > Does some thesaurus thinks "bizarre" sounds like "bazaar"? The "i" and
> > "a"
> > are distinct to me.

> Schwa and schwa for me.

I have /I/ in "bizarre" and schwa in "bazaar". Otherwise they're identical.

--
Guy Barry

Athel Cornish-Bowden

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 4:55:212/9/12
On 2012-09-02 08:29:55 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> Alan Curry:
>> Does some thesaurus thinks "bizarre" sounds like "bazaar"? The "i" and "a"
>> are distinct to me.
>
> Schwa and schwa for me.

For me too.

--
athel

R H Draney

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 5:23:322/9/12
Athel Cornish-Bowden filted:
Whoever composed this question must have been thinking of:

"Camelot! Camelot!
I know it sounds a bit bezoar!"

....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Jerry Friedman

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 8:14:112/9/12
On Sep 2, 1:41 am, Harrison Hill <harrisonhill2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 Sep, 04:57, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>
> > Urdu is the source of this word, which has a homonym in the thesaurus.
>
> > --
> > Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist
>
> "Punch".
>
> It has to be less obvious than this, but wiki's handy "List of English
> words of Hindi or Urdu origin" is starting point for people like me.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Hindi_or_Urdu_o...

Maybe I should say that "Urdu is the source of this word" doesn't
quite have its most obvious literal meaning.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 8:51:032/9/12
On 2012-09-02 03:57:46 +0000, Jerry Friedman said:

> Urdu is the source of this word, which has a homonym in the thesaurus.

Horde (both "horde" and "Urdu" are derived from the same Turkish word),
and "whored" is a homonym. So is "hoard" for that matter.

--
athel

CDB

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 9:49:132/9/12
On 02/09/2012 8:14 AM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> Harrison Hill <harrisonhill2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:

>>> Urdu is the source of this word, which has a homonym in the thesaurus.

>> "Punch".

>> It has to be less obvious than this, but wiki's handy "List of English
>> words of Hindi or Urdu origin" is starting point for people like me.

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Hindi_or_Urdu_o...

> Maybe I should say that "Urdu is the source of this word" doesn't
> quite have its most obvious literal meaning.

The worde "horde" (army), from the Turkish source of "Urdu" (camp talk),
has a homonym "hoard" (treasure, or thesaurus?), but I don't get "sold out".

Jerry Friedman

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 10:11:382/9/12
Thank you! Now to see whether anyone thinks that "horde" and "hoard"
aren't pronounced the same.

"Sold out" was my attempt at the third homonym.

CDB

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 10:15:252/9/12
On 02/09/2012 9:49 AM, CDB wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> The worde "horde" (army), from the Turkish source of "Urdu" (camp talk),
> has a homonym "hoard" (treasure, or thesaurus?), but I don't get "sold
> out".

Ooh, "whored"?

Iain Archer

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 10:32:132/9/12
Jerry Friedman wrote on Sun, 2 Sep 2012
I'm afraid it just misled me. I don't count "whored" as a homonym.
Never mind. I'll take it that the titles may sometimes be hints of the
looser kind.
--
Iain Archer

Jerry Friedman

no leída,
2 sept 2012, 22:41:532/9/12
Somehow I missed this response, but it's earlier than CDB's according
to Google Groups. So thank you for the actual sheepwinner, and my
profound apologies to CDB.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. answermisser

Athel Cornish-Bowden

no leída,
3 sept 2012, 0:55:043/9/12
I thought it wa earlier, but I wan't going to complain. (The editors'
decision is final, as they say). My first sheep! I can hold my head up
in public again.

--
athel

CDB

no leída,
3 sept 2012, 7:04:053/9/12
C'est la vie. Reading the group through aioe, a notorious dropper of
postings, I still don't have it, except through your posting.
Congratulations, Athel.

Mark Brader

no leída,
4 sept 2012, 2:31:454/9/12
Jerry Friedman:
> Somehow I missed this response, but it's earlier than CDB's according
> to Google Groups.

The Date lines also show Athel's posting as earlier, by about an hour:

Athel: Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 14:51:03 +0200
C.D.: Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 09:49:13 -0400

And Athel's posting reached Giganews first (article #1944459 vs. #1944466).
--
Mark Brader Summary of issue: Fix FORTRAN-8x.
Toronto Committee Response: This proposal contains