=SDC= Q19: You should know this by heart

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 12:08:42 AM9/2/12
What do the words congress, purple, wind, kitplane, rainbarrel, pickle
and morcilla have in common?

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

abc

Sep 2, 2012, 4:08:40 AM9/2/12
"Congress was in session and the wind was howling overhead when suddenly
a purple kitplane crashed into a rainbarrel full of morcilla pickle"
abc

R H Draney

Sep 2, 2012, 5:28:01 AM9/2/12
Jerry Friedman filted:

>What do the words congress, purple, wind, kitplane, rainbarrel, pickle
>and morcilla have in common?

Expanding upon Bismarck, nobody who loves any of them should ever watch them
being made....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Harrison Hill

Sep 2, 2012, 5:41:57 AM9/2/12
On Sep 2, 10:28 am, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> Jerry Friedman filted:
>

> >What do the words congress, purple, wind, kitplane, rainbarrel, pickle
> >and morcilla have in common?
>
> Expanding upon Bismarck, nobody who loves any of them should ever watch them
> being made....r

Mark Twain surely.

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2012, 8:11:55 AM9/2/12
<smile>

> Mark Twain surely.

I'd like to see a citation for either. Sources at Google Books say
"attributed" to both.

--
Jerry Friedman

Robin Bignall

Sep 2, 2012, 12:07:22 PM9/2/12
That must be worth a large, elderly and obstreperous ram, Jerry.
--
Robin Bignall
(BrE)

James Hogg

Sep 2, 2012, 12:20:54 PM9/2/12
I don't understand why he hasn't preceded EVERY question with "This
one's a toughie".

--
James

Jerry Friedman

Sep 3, 2012, 5:02:29 PM9/3/12
On Sep 2, 10:21 am, James Hogg <Jas.H...@gOUTmail.com> wrote:
> Robin Bignall wrote:

> >> "Congress was in session and the wind was howling overhead when suddenly
> >> a purple kitplane crashed into a rainbarrel full of morcilla pickle"
> >> abc
> > That must be worth a large, elderly and obstreperous ram, Jerry.
>
> I don't understand why he hasn't preceded EVERY question with "This
> one's a toughie".

*clears throat meaningly in direction of person who generously
supplied many of the questions*

Anyway, maybe it will help if I say that only aueistas--only certain
ones, in fact--should have memorized this.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. hinter

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 5, 2012, 6:52:02 PM9/5/12
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:

>Anyway, maybe it will help if I say that only aueistas--only certain
>ones, in fact--should have memorized this.

It's glasnost time. They are the codenames of people sitting on a
certain committee. You know who you are.

--
VB

Morcilla

Sep 5, 2012, 10:28:31 PM9/5/12
On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 23:52:02 +0100, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
THERE IS NO COMMITTEE, DAMMIT!

msh210

Sep 7, 2012, 9:40:25 AM9/7/12
On Sep 3d, Jerry Friedman Totally Officially hinted:
> > What do the words congress, purple, wind,kitplane, rainbarrel, pickle
> > and morcilla have in common?
<snip>
> Anyway, maybe it will help if I say that only aueistas--only certain
> ones, in fact--should have memorized this.

Or, at least, that was Peter Moylan's advice.

Michael Hamm
TO Hinter

Guy Barry

Sep 7, 2012, 2:28:55 PM9/7/12
On Sep 2, 5:08 am, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
> What do the words congress, purple, wind, kitplane, rainbarrel, pickle
> and morcilla have in common?

Is it significant that they all have an even number of letters?

--
Guy Barry

Jerry Friedman

Sep 7, 2012, 2:51:05 PM9/7/12
Remarkable, but not significant.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. unhinter

mrucb...@att.net

Sep 7, 2012, 6:21:46 PM9/7/12
These words apparently represent a mnemonic for something such as memorization of pi digits, as discussed by Mr Moylan in years past, but while intriguing that people can do that, and spout off dozens of digits, it was unclear, then, what they were talking about to non-savants, and no more intelligible now. "ltnmrsbvhg=0123456789" was the key then, which was no help to me short of a lengthy pencil and paper routine I had no interest in completing. May be off base anyway.

Guy Barry

Sep 8, 2012, 2:30:54 AM9/8/12

mrucbeadco wrote in message

> These words apparently represent a mnemonic for something such as
> memorization of pi digits,
> as discussed by Mr Moylan in years past, but while intriguing that people
> can do that, and spout off dozens of digits,
> it was unclear, then, what they were talking about to non-savants, and no
> more intelligible now. "ltnmrsbvhg=0123456789"
> was the key then, which was no help to me short of a lengthy pencil and
> paper routine I had no interest in completing.
> May be off base anyway.

This sounds to me like the Major system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic_major_system

The mapping between digits and letters is slightly different from yours, but
it seems the same basic idea. I've never used it.

Applying either system to the words in the question doesn't seem to give any
particularly significant numbers.

--
Guy Barry

mrucb...@att.net

Sep 8, 2012, 8:15:38 AM9/8/12
Well, thanks for providing a cogent description of the method for that, anyway. I suppose you'd get used to the quick substitutions and then, the word imagery works to signal the sequence, but I don't think my brain works that way. I'd be better off with a plastic laminated wallet card.

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 10, 2012, 5:05:30 PM9/10/12
A taxonomy of computer coding errors?

Morcilla --> black sausage --> BS --> bullshit.

Congress --> fucked.

Purple --> overcomplicated?

Wind --> filler?

Kitplane --> falls apart.

Rainbarrel --> ?

Pickle --> ?

OK. As you were.

--
VB

Jerry Friedman

Sep 12, 2012, 1:33:15 PM9/12/12

James Hogg

Sep 12, 2012, 1:40:59 PM9/12/12
Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On Sep 1, 10:08 pm, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>> What do the words congress, purple, wind, kitplane, rainbarrel, pickle
>> and morcilla have in common?
>>
>> --
>> Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.usage.english/msg/29b6824aa737f802

Devious. And to think I set that one up...

--
James