The 1,000 Words You Can't Say Online in Pakistan

MC

Nov 19, 2011, 9:33:25 AM11/19/11
What do the words sex, lavender, flatulence, quickie, butt, mango and
pud have in common?

They are among more than 1,000 words deemed so obscene by the Pakistani
Telecommunications Authority that they have instructed mobile phone
operators to block them from all text messages.

It is a decision that has left many in Pakistan unsure whether to be
staggered, amused or outraged. Social media sites such as Twitter have
been flooded with posts about the decision.

An unconfirmed list has been circulating online. Many of the words are
sexually explicit but the inclusion of some words and phrases appear to
have defied even those who admit to possessing the lewdest of minds.

Full story here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15793721

--

"If you can, tell me something happy."
- Marybones

Jerry Friedman

Nov 19, 2011, 11:15:43 AM11/19/11
If the only lists are in English and Urdu, as the article says, this
should encourage the use of minority languages.

I wonder what fraction of those who harass people with obscene texts
are ingenious enough to get around any ban on words and phrases.

--
Jerry Friedman

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 19, 2011, 11:51:47 AM11/19/11
I see an annual tourism opportunity for Ballycastle in Northern Ireland.

That report says:

Some people are simply curious - they want to know what an "ass
puppy" is or the vile significance of "Yellowman", reportedly the
final word on the list.

We need to entice Pakistanis to Ballycastle for the Ould Lammas Fair
with its associated Yellowman.

But if they are expecting something excitingly lewd they will be
disappointed:
http://www.kitchendaily.com/encyclopedia/definition/yellowman/2689/

Is an "ass puppy" a baby donkey?

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Django Cat

Nov 19, 2011, 12:58:57 PM11/19/11
Peter Duncanson (BrE) wrote:

> Is an "ass puppy" a baby donkey?

I really hope so.

DC

Vinny Burgoo

Nov 19, 2011, 1:05:31 PM11/19/11
In alt.usage.english, MC wrote:

>What do the words sex, lavender, flatulence, quickie, butt, mango and
>pud have in common?

Have they all been convicted of betting scams, Bob?

--
VB

James Hogg

Nov 19, 2011, 2:03:32 PM11/19/11
They're the only words in English that haven't yet appeared in any SDC
question?

--
James

MC

Nov 19, 2011, 2:15:19 PM11/19/11
In article <B7Sxq.31152$HA5....@newsfe30.ams2>,
ha!

Steve Hayes

Nov 19, 2011, 3:03:23 PM11/19/11
On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 16:51:47 +0000, "Peter Duncanson (BrE)"
<ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

>Is an "ass puppy" a baby donkey?

A colt, a son of a bitch.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

Joe Fineman

Nov 19, 2011, 3:32:38 PM11/19/11
MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> writes:

> What do the words sex, lavender, flatulence, quickie, butt, mango
> and pud have in common?
>
> They are among more than 1,000 words deemed so obscene by the
> Pakistani Telecommunications Authority that they have instructed
> mobile phone operators to block them from all text messages.

Back in the 1960s, when many US states began using three-letter
sequences on car license plates, someone published an amusing list of
forbidden sequences. It was particularly amusing to see which ones
the officials had missed.
--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: "I have to draw a line somewhere" is rhetorically weak, but :||
||: morally it tells the truth. :||

Prai Jei

Nov 19, 2011, 3:41:21 PM11/19/11
Joe Fineman set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time
continuum:

> MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> writes:
>
>> What do the words sex, lavender, flatulence, quickie, butt, mango
>> and pud have in common?
>>
>> They are among more than 1,000 words deemed so obscene by the
>> Pakistani Telecommunications Authority that they have instructed
>> mobile phone operators to block them from all text messages.
>
> Back in the 1960s, when many US states began using three-letter
> sequences on car license plates, someone published an amusing list of
> forbidden sequences. It was particularly amusing to see which ones
> the officials had missed.

Check out a few similar ones in the UK at
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/16/too_rude_for_the_road
--
ξ:) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

Peter Moylan

Nov 19, 2011, 5:35:41 PM11/19/11
So far. Serious SDC contenders should probably memorise the list.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Frank S

Nov 19, 2011, 6:21:23 PM11/19/11

"Joe Fineman" <jo...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> writes:
>
>> What do the words sex, lavender, flatulence, quickie, butt, mango
>> and pud have in common?
>>
>> They are among more than 1,000 words deemed so obscene by the
>> Pakistani Telecommunications Authority that they have instructed
>> mobile phone operators to block them from all text messages.
>
> Back in the 1960s, when many US states began using three-letter
> sequences on car license plates, someone published an amusing list of
> forbidden sequences. It was particularly amusing to see which ones
> the officials had missed.

How could yhey have missed this one?

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/92/218527693_790933cd71_o.jpg

--
Frank ess

Ray O'Hara

Nov 19, 2011, 10:39:30 PM11/19/11

"MC" <cope...@mapca.inter.net> wrote in message
> What do the words sex, lavender, flatulence, quickie, butt, mango and
> pud have in common?
>
> They are among more than 1,000 words deemed so obscene by the Pakistani
> Telecommunications Authority that they have instructed mobile phone
> operators to block them from all text messages.

Lavender?

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 19, 2011, 11:17:29 PM11/19/11
Ray O'Hara wrote:

> "MC" wrote...
>
>> What do the words sex, lavender, flatulence, quickie, butt, mango
>> and pud have in common?
>>
>> They are among more than 1,000 words deemed so obscene by the
>> Pakistani Telecommunications Authority that they have instructed
>> mobile phone operators to block them from all text messages.
>
> Lavender?

Homosexual.

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft,

Duggy

Nov 20, 2011, 6:22:34 AM11/20/11
On Nov 20, 12:33 am, MC <copes...@mapca.inter.net> wrote:
> What do the words sex, lavender, flatulence, quickie, butt, mango and
> pud have in common?

Lavender?

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Nov 20, 2011, 6:26:53 AM11/20/11
They are all in the sentence: "Why does my flatulence smell like
lavender after a quickie when I'm inserting the post-butt sex mango
and reattaching the PUD foreskin replacement device?"

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Nov 20, 2011, 6:27:58 AM11/20/11
On Nov 20, 2:17 pm, Reinhold {Rey} Aman <a...@sonic.net> wrote:
> Ray O'Hara wrote:
>
> > "MC" wrote...
>
> >> What do the words sex, lavender, flatulence, quickie, butt, mango
> >> and pud have in common?
>
> >> They are among more than 1,000 words deemed so obscene by the
> >> Pakistani Telecommunications Authority that they have instructed
> >> mobile phone operators to block them from all text messages.
>
> > Lavender?
>
> Homosexual.

Just because he replied with the word Lavender?

===
= DUG.
===

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 20, 2011, 7:38:09 AM11/20/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 03:26:53 -0800 (PST), Duggy <Paul....@jcu.edu.au>
wrote:
<smile>

I'm not clear which of these listed words are English or are English
translations of Urdu words.

If "pud" is not a translation then it might be an abbreviation of the
English word (of Latin origin) "pudendum": "In pl. and sing. The
external genitals; esp. the vulva".

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 20, 2011, 8:26:09 AM11/20/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 03:27:58 -0800 (PST), Duggy <Paul....@jcu.edu.au>
wrote:
I think Rey was saying that "Lavender" is a word for a homosexual.

Django Cat

Nov 20, 2011, 8:44:05 AM11/20/11
As in 'there's a whiff of lavender about that marriage'.

DC

musika

Nov 20, 2011, 9:20:16 AM11/20/11
In Urdu, the word is puddi.
--
Ray
UK

MC

Nov 20, 2011, 9:20:10 AM11/20/11
In article <7sshc754oa9ofs80h...@4ax.com>,
"Peter Duncanson (BrE)" <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

> If "pud" is not a translation then it might be an abbreviation of the
> English word (of Latin origin) "pudendum": "In pl. and sing. The
> external genitals; esp. the vulva".

It can also mean penis, as in the (rather archaic) "pulling his pud."

John Dunlop

Nov 20, 2011, 9:30:13 AM11/20/11
Peter Duncanson (BrE):

> If "pud" is not a translation then it might be an abbreviation of the
> English word (of Latin origin) "pudendum": "In pl. and sing. The
> external genitals; esp. the vulva".

"Pud" brings back memories. I haven't heard the phrase "to pull one's
pud" since my schooldays. It comes from "pudding" meaning "penis".

--
John

John Dunlop

Nov 20, 2011, 9:34:07 AM11/20/11
John Dunlop:

> "Pud" brings back memories. I haven't heard the phrase "to pull one's
> pud" since my schooldays. It comes from "pudding" meaning "penis".

Despite what the OED says, it was always pronounced /pVd/ "PUD", not
/pud/ "POOD".

--
John

MC

Nov 20, 2011, 11:12:18 AM11/20/11
In article <jab2an$vgg$1...@dont-email.me>,
I'll file that away for future reference!

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 20, 2011, 12:35:46 PM11/20/11
Duggy wrote:

> MC wrote:
>
>> What do the words sex, lavender, flatulence, quickie, butt,
>> mango and pud have in common?
>
> Lavender?

musika

Nov 20, 2011, 1:45:52 PM11/20/11
Rhymes with hoody, goody etc.

Penis is lulli.
--
Ray
UK

R H Draney

Nov 20, 2011, 3:39:14 PM11/20/11
Duggy filted:
So, does anyone have the full list of words?...the link in the OP contained a
further link to a blurry PDF of words in some other language with no
glossary...an article in yesterday's newspaper added that "Jesus Christ",
"idiot" and "headlights" are also proscribed....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Mike Lyle

Nov 20, 2011, 4:34:14 PM11/20/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:44:05 GMT, "Django Cat" <nota...@address.com>
wrote:
Good God! I never stop discovering how innocent I am: I'd never heard
of that. We all know, of course, that an angler who has caught a fine
chavender, or chub, repairs to the pavender, or pub, so it's
reasonable to expect the same of a fisherman who is lavender, or lub.
A Ggl for the author of the fishing rhyme reveals that there is a pub
named "The Lavender": am I to draw any conclusions? I see that, of
course, I'm not the first to see a lavender-lub connection. For a
Lewis connection, see also
http://preview.tinyurl.com/d3rmzyc
or
<http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=tnZlamM2ofoC&pg=PA102&dq=pavender+or+pub&hl=en&ei=mHDJTqj3LtCq8AOckMl9&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=pavender%20or%20pub&f=false>

--
Mike.

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 20, 2011, 4:52:24 PM11/20/11

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 20, 2011, 5:20:42 PM11/20/11
On 20 Nov 2011 12:39:14 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote:

Also from the list:

BACK DOOR
BACKSEAT
BANGING
BISEXUAL
BLACKOUT
DEPOSIT
DEVIL
DIPSTICK
GOT JESUS
HOBO
HOSTAGE
KMART
LAID
LOTION
PENTHOUSE
SNIPER
SUICIDE
TROJAN

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 20, 2011, 5:39:53 PM11/20/11
On 20 Nov 2011 12:39:14 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote:

Scanning the Urdu list for anything that looks like an English word I
found:

Phrase
mango
taxi
Land
Carrom board

"Lavender" is not either list, English or Urdu, but "Lavander" is.

MC

Nov 20, 2011, 5:51:32 PM11/20/11
In article <7juic7pgckok9omut...@4ax.com>,
"Peter Duncanson (BrE)" <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

> On 20 Nov 2011 12:39:14 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> >Duggy filted:

> >>They are all in the sentence: "Why does my flatulence smell like
> >>lavender after a quickie when I'm inserting the post-butt sex mango
> >>and reattaching the PUD foreskin replacement device?"
> >
> >So, does anyone have the full list of words?...the link in the OP contained a
> >further link to a blurry PDF of words in some other language with no
> >glossary...an article in yesterday's newspaper added that "Jesus Christ",
> >"idiot" and "headlights" are also proscribed....r
>
> Also from the list:

BLACKOUT ???????????

HOBO ????????? (Confusion with homo, perhaps?)

KMART ??????????

musika

Nov 20, 2011, 5:59:06 PM11/20/11
There are also a some En/Urdu combinations
Bumchod
Rubber bhosda
Cuntmama

--
Ray
UK

Robert Bannister

Nov 20, 2011, 6:22:26 PM11/20/11
But in the song, "Robin Hood pulls his pud up and down the glen", it is
not a reference to the vulva at all. Long, strong black pudding springs
to mind, but only because that's what I fried for breakfast this morning.

--
Robert Bannister

Robert Bannister

Nov 20, 2011, 6:24:53 PM11/20/11
A couple of minutes ago, I provided an example from a song we used to
sing at the rugby club in England in the 60s where it does rhyme with
"good".

--
Robert Bannister

R H Draney

Nov 20, 2011, 9:28:29 PM11/20/11
MC filted:
I have a bunch of forbidden items on my car:
BACK DOOR
BACKSEAT
DIPSTICK
DOME
FLASHER
RED LIGHT

But the one that really gets me is "glazed donut"....r

Steve Hayes

Nov 20, 2011, 11:43:01 PM11/20/11
On 20 Nov 2011 12:39:14 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>>They are all in the sentence: "Why does my flatulence smell like
>>lavender after a quickie when I'm inserting the post-butt sex mango
>>and reattaching the PUD foreskin replacement device?"
>
>So, does anyone have the full list of words?...the link in the OP contained a
>further link to a blurry PDF of words in some other language with no
>glossary...an article in yesterday's newspaper added that "Jesus Christ",
>"idiot" and "headlights" are also proscribed....r

Wot, no Scunthorpe?

Anyway, they would surely censor my blog post with an ass in lavender.

http://khanya.wordpress.com/2009/05/31/gods-ass/

come to think of it, some in aue would also censor it.

PARENTAL ADVISORY: contains religious references, enter at your own risk.

And the ass's name is Mussolini.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

Alan Mackenzie

Nov 21, 2011, 4:29:24 AM11/21/11
"Peter Duncanson (BrE)" <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

>>So, does anyone have the full list of words?...the link in the OP contained a
>>further link to a blurry PDF of words in some other language with no
>>glossary...an article in yesterday's newspaper added that "Jesus Christ",
>>"idiot" and "headlights" are also proscribed....r

> Also from the list:

> BACK DOOR
> BACKSEAT
> BANGING
> BISEXUAL
> BLACKOUT
> DEPOSIT
> DEVIL
> DIPSTICK
> GOT JESUS
> HOBO
> HOSTAGE
> KMART
> LAID
> LOTION
> PENTHOUSE
> SNIPER
> SUICIDE
> TROJAN

DIPSTICK and HEADLIGHT. They obviously don't approve of car maintenance.

But OICU812 ???? Perhaps "Oh I see you ate one too". Sounds pretty
innocuous to me.

OUI. They don't like French speakers.

TROJAN ????

You could certainly learn a lot about Pakistan from this list.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

MC

Nov 21, 2011, 6:38:22 AM11/21/11
In article <jad5lk$27j4$1...@colin.muc.de>, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de>
wrote:

> TROJAN ????

A brand of condoms

Duggy

Nov 21, 2011, 7:36:58 AM11/21/11
On Nov 21, 3:35 am, Reinhold {Rey} Aman <a...@sonic.net> wrote:
> Duggy wrote:
>
> > MC wrote:
>
> >> What do the words sex, lavender, flatulence, quickie, butt,
> >> mango and pud have in common?
>
> > Lavender?
>
> Homosexual.

Wow. You are so judgemental.

===
= DUG.
===

Alan Mackenzie

Nov 21, 2011, 9:47:16 AM11/21/11
MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> wrote:
> In article <jad5lk$27j4$1...@colin.muc.de>, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de>
> wrote:

>> TROJAN ????

> A brand of condoms

Wierd - If I were a condom maker, the image of a Trojan horse is the last
thing I'd want associated with my products.

James Hogg

Nov 21, 2011, 9:57:39 AM11/21/11
Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> wrote:
>> In article <jad5lk$27j4$1...@colin.muc.de>, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de>
>> wrote:
>
>>> TROJAN ????
>
>> A brand of condoms
>
> Wierd - If I were a condom maker, the image of a Trojan horse is the last
> thing I'd want associated with my products.

The word has other connotations, as in this sense in the OED

"A brave or plucky fellow; a person of great energy or endurance: usu.
in phr. like a Trojan"

--
James

MC

Nov 21, 2011, 10:17:14 AM11/21/11
In article <jado9k$2s6k$1...@colin.muc.de>, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de>
wrote:

> MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> wrote:
> > In article <jad5lk$27j4$1...@colin.muc.de>, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de>
> > wrote:
>
> >> TROJAN ????
>
> > A brand of condoms
>
> Wierd - If I were a condom maker, the image of a Trojan horse is the last
> thing I'd want associated with my products.

On the other hand I'd rather have a Trojan condom than a Spartan.

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 21, 2011, 10:21:47 AM11/21/11
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:17:14 -0500, MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> wrote:

>In article <jado9k$2s6k$1...@colin.muc.de>, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de>
>wrote:
>
>> MC <cope...@mapca.inter.net> wrote:

>> > A brand of condoms
>>
>> Wierd - If I were a condom maker, the image of a Trojan horse is the last
>> thing I'd want associated with my products.
>
>On the other hand I'd rather have a Trojan condom than a Spartan.

And a Trajan's column would be very impressive.

Evan Kirshenbaum

Nov 21, 2011, 11:36:11 AM11/21/11
Mike Lyle <mike_l...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:44:05 GMT, "Django Cat" <nota...@address.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Peter Duncanson (BrE) wrote:

>>> I think Rey was saying that "Lavender" is a word for a homosexual.
>>
>>As in 'there's a whiff of lavender about that marriage'.
>>
> Good God! I never stop discovering how innocent I am: I'd never heard
> of that.

There's an organization that supports gay (bi, and transgender) teens
called "LYRIC", which stands for "Lavender Youth Recreation &
Information Center".

http://lyric.org/home.html

Still with HP Labs |It's not coherent, it's merely
SF Bay Area (1982-) |focused.
Chicago (1964-1982) | Keith Moore

evan.kir...@gmail.com

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 21, 2011, 12:49:11 PM11/21/11
Duggy wrote:

> Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
>> Duggy wrote:

>>> Lavender?
>>
>> Homosexual.
>
> Wow. You are so judgemental.

I certainly am *judgmental*, but that's here irrelevant.

Others have already explained to you that "lavender" is associated with homosexuality.

Google <lavender +homosexual> for 857,000 hits, or see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_(color)

and read the short section "3.3 Sexuality."

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft,
die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft.

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 21, 2011, 12:58:46 PM11/21/11
Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
[...]
Damn. The link didn't show up correctly. I'll try with < >:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_(color)>

and read the short section "3.3 Sexuality."

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 21, 2011, 1:03:52 PM11/21/11
Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:

> Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
> [...]
> Damn. The link didn't show up correctly. I'll try with < >:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_(color)>
>
> and read the short section "3.3 Sexuality."

Fuck! It still didn't include the closing parenthesis.

You'll just have to copy & paste the URL and add the ")" by hand.

Skitt

Nov 21, 2011, 2:26:52 PM11/21/11
Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
> Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
>> Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:

>> [...]
>> Damn. The link didn't show up correctly. I'll try with< >:
>>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_(color)>
>>
>> and read the short section "3.3 Sexuality."
>
> Fuck! It still didn't include the closing parenthesis.
>
> You'll just have to copy& paste the URL and add the ")" by hand.

All of your links had a closing parenthesis and worked just fine.
(I use Thunderbird newsreader)
--
Skitt (SF Bay Area)
jes' fine

Reinhold {Rey} Aman

Nov 21, 2011, 2:53:03 PM11/21/11
Skitt wrote:

> Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
[...]
>> Fuck! It still didn't include the closing parenthesis.
>>
>> You'll just have to copy & paste the URL and add the ")" by hand.
>
> All of your links had a closing parenthesis and worked just fine.
> (I use Thunderbird newsreader)

Thanks, Skitt. Today I'm using my ancient Netscape 4.75, and
the <URL> usually works. Weird.

--
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~

Duggy

Nov 21, 2011, 3:13:39 PM11/21/11
On Nov 22, 3:49 am, Reinhold {Rey} Aman <a...@sonic.net> wrote:

> >> Homosexual.
> > Wow.  You are so judgemental.
> I certainly am *judgmental*,

Sorry, I left the "ed" out.

> but that's here irrelevant.

That's what?

> Others have already explained to you that "lavender" is associated with homosexuality.

To me?

===
= DUG.
===

Robert Bannister

Nov 21, 2011, 7:27:48 PM11/21/11
But they lost. It was the guys camping out on the beach that had the
endurance, plus the tricks.

--
Robert Bannister

Robert Bannister

Nov 21, 2011, 7:33:51 PM11/21/11
On 22/11/11 1:58 AM, Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
> Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:
> [...]
> Damn. The link didn't show up correctly. I'll try with< >:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_(color)>
>
> and read the short section "3.3 Sexuality."

It is very strange. In the 70s - not the 50s-60s - mauve, purple,
lavender were popular colours for men for a short time, and it certainly
wasn't just homosexuals that wore those colours. In the 60s, as I
recall, homosexual men all seemed to wear white, polo-necked pullovers -
at least on Wimbledon Common, but perhaps it was cold there.

--
Robert Bannister

Leslie Danks

Nov 22, 2011, 4:45:26 AM11/22/11
Speaking of Wimbledon Common, I once came across a bench dedicated to
someone whose name I forget, with the inscription "<name> loved walking on
this common". Some naughty person had changed the second 'l' into an 'n'.

Regarding lavender, Urban Dictionary thinks it is an adjective more often
applied to effeminately behaving heterosexuals than to homosexuals. FWIW.

--
Les
(BrE)

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 22, 2011, 6:17:25 AM11/22/11
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:45:26 +0100, Leslie Danks <leslie...@aon.at>
wrote:
The OED does not have any of these senses but does have the obsolete:

lavender, n.1

Etymology: ...Compare Latin lavanda-ria neuter pl. (occurring once)
'things to be washed'.

A washerwoman, laundress. †Formerly also (rarely), a man who washes
clothes, a washerman.

[a1300 Chron. Petroburg. (Camden No. 47) 122 De catallis
Johannis le Lavandere, fugitivi.]
c1325 in G. L. Brook Harley Lyrics (1968) 47 Prude wes my
plowe-fere, Lecherie my lauendere.
1567 in Chalmers Mary (1818) 177 Lauandrie. Margaret Balcomie,
lauander.

Is it possible that "lavender" meaning an effeminate man derives from
that?

This is a half-hearted suggestion because a washerwoman is not a
stereotype of femininity.

Adam Funk

Nov 22, 2011, 8:36:35 AM11/22/11
On 2011-11-20, MC wrote:

> In article <7sshc754oa9ofs80h...@4ax.com>,
> "Peter Duncanson (BrE)" <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:
>
>> If "pud" is not a translation then it might be an abbreviation of the
>> English word (of Latin origin) "pudendum": "In pl. and sing. The
>> external genitals; esp. the vulva".
>
> It can also mean penis, as in the (rather archaic) "pulling his pud."

I can't recall ever hearing "pud" used to mean any female bits.

--
History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of
urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.

John Dunlop

Nov 22, 2011, 12:18:19 PM11/22/11
Robert Bannister:

> [John Dunlop:]
>
>> John Dunlop:
>>
>>> "Pud" brings back memories. I haven't heard the phrase "to pull one's
>>> pud" since my schooldays. It comes from "pudding" meaning "penis".
>>
>> Despite what the OED says, it was always pronounced /pVd/ "PUD", not
>> /pud/ "POOD".
>
> A couple of minutes ago, I provided an example from a song we used to
> sing at the rugby club in England in the 60s where it does rhyme with
> "good".

It might just have been us who pronounced it to rhyme with "dud".

--
John

Mike Lyle

Nov 22, 2011, 5:21:59 PM11/22/11
One of the glories of speech in the British Isles is how astonishingly
many ways there are of saying things. The vowel in question here is
often, when stressed, realised as a sort of "long" schwa, but even a
schwa has regional variants. Only today I heard three examples on TV.
First was the animal intelligence researcher, Professor Nicky Clayton:
I think she comes from Lancashire, and her "put" was almost my
southern-style "putt". (Interestingly, her "bury" had the same vowel.)
Then Alan Milburn MP, brought up as a Tynesider, said "cuts" almost
like my "cats". Finally, a Welsh-speaking Cardiff man, Gethin Jones,
talking about a microlight trip, said "...givin' ess a view of..." and
"I levved absolutely everything about that".

--
Mike.

Robert Bannister

Nov 22, 2011, 6:41:51 PM11/22/11
Then again, the men who "lauandrie" dirty money are not usually
particularly effeminate.

--
Robert Bannister

Mike Lyle

Nov 23, 2011, 5:02:07 PM11/23/11
Sorry: foggy writing. I'm thinking, of course, of two distinct "u"
sounds in my speech, viz., "put" and "putt".

--
Mike.

Dr Nick

Nov 26, 2011, 12:43:36 PM11/26/11
Err...

To me "pud", "dud" and "good" all rhyme. A hypothetical "pood" would
rhyme with "mood" not "good".

LFS

Nov 26, 2011, 12:54:48 PM11/26/11
On 26/11/2011 17:43, Dr Nick wrote:
> John Dunlop<dunlo...@ymail.com> writes:
>
>> Robert Bannister:
>>
>>> [John Dunlop:]

>>> A couple of minutes ago, I provided an example from a song we used to
>>> sing at the rugby club in England in the 60s where it does rhyme with
>>> "good".
>>
>> It might just have been us who pronounced it to rhyme with "dud".
>
> Err...
>
> To me "pud", "dud" and "good" all rhyme.

Really? I don't think I've ever heard "dud" rhyme with pud or good. Even
when I lived oop north.

A hypothetical "pood" would

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

Mike Lyle

Nov 26, 2011, 5:39:02 PM11/26/11
In Welsh English, a "poody" rhymes with "moody", and means a sullen
sulky mood. Good word.

--
Mike.

John Dunlop

Nov 27, 2011, 4:51:54 AM11/27/11
Dr Nick:

> To me "pud", "dud" and "good" all rhyme.

Color me astonished, dude.

> A hypothetical "pood" would rhyme with "mood" not "good".

Or, in my case, with "mood" and "good".

--
John

Dr Nick

Nov 27, 2011, 8:50:19 AM11/27/11
John Dunlop <dunlo...@ymail.com> writes:

> Dr Nick:
>
>> To me "pud", "dud" and "good" all rhyme.
>
> Color me astonished, dude.

And mud, and would, and wood, and hood and could and bud.

>> A hypothetical "pood" would rhyme with "mood" not "good".
>
> Or, in my case, with "mood" and "good".

Those don't rhyme, and it really surprises me that they might. Does
that mean that "good" is like "goo" (as in "goo goo") with a 'd' on the
end (to me "mood" is "moo" with a 'd') or they both are something else?

John Dunlop

Nov 27, 2011, 9:13:54 AM11/27/11
Dr Nick:

> [John Dunlop:]
>
>> Or, in my case, with "mood" and "good".
>
> Those don't rhyme, and it really surprises me that they might. Does
> that mean that "good" is like "goo" (as in "goo goo") with a 'd' on the
> end (to me "mood" is "moo" with a 'd') or they both are something else?

The quality of vowel is the same, but it's short in "good" (closed
syllable) and long in "goo" (open syllable). Same for "mood" & "moo".

--
John

Robert Bannister

Nov 27, 2011, 8:14:12 PM11/27/11
Interesting. In all the British TV we see these days in Oz, I assumed
all English people pronounced "good" as "gedd".

--
Robert Bannister

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Nov 28, 2011, 7:03:09 AM11/28/11
That pronunciation often sounds more like "gidd" to me.

There are many other BrE dialects in which "good" sounds the ways Dr
Nick and John Dunlop described.

Dr Nick

Nov 28, 2011, 12:58:54 PM11/28/11
What's really strange is that you never notice that others don't make
these distinctions - or even more so - that they make distinctions you
don't.

I couldn't imaging finding someone who said "good" nad "mood" the same
way! Yet I'm sure I must have heard plenty of them.

Mike Lyle

Nov 29, 2011, 2:32:13 PM11/29/11
If you ever see commercial telly, prick up your ears when the Co-op is
advertising: they have a Scottish voice which says they're "guid with
fuid".

--
Mike.