Short Game with a focus on quality?

Mark Levison

Sep 1, 2011, 10:07:05 AM9/1/11
to agile...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in a shorter game (<30 minutes) to fold into "Intro to Agile for Testers course" that I'm running. I'm not to picky about what aspects of quality it highlights, as long it gets across some of the ideas that Agile is different. It has to be short because we already have a 2 sprint simulation that will occupy a whole morning.

One simple idea is just to change the focus in debriefing the penny game by asking about dropped pennies which should lead to a discussion around the early discovery of defects.

I'm hoping for more ideas.

Cheers
Mark Levison

MarkMark Levison | Agile Pain Relief Consulting | Certified Scrum Trainer
Agile Editor @ InfoQ | Blog | Twitter | Office: (613) 862-2538
Recent Entries:
Story Slicing How Small is Small Enough, Why use an Agile Coach

Lior Friedman

Sep 1, 2011, 10:20:10 AM9/1/11
to agile...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mark,

We used Lisa Crispins Jenga game in our last Agile Tester Course and it did a great job at:

1)       showing the differences of Traditional development vs. Iterative development.

2)      Demonstrate the importance of having the programmer and tester work closely together.

And it takes about 30 minutes including debriefing.

Lior Friedman

Early bird registration for my upcoming TDD .NET Course is now opened.Go here

Agile Consultant - AUT/TDD Expert | Mobile: 972.52.833.3660 | Email: lfri...@gmail.com

Blog - http://imistaken.blogspot.com

Steven (Doc) List

Sep 1, 2011, 10:33:21 AM9/1/11
to agile...@googlegroups.com, <agilegames@googlegroups.com>
Is that documented on Lisa's blog? Somewhere else?

...Doc
--
Steven "Doc" List, Agile Coach, Facilitator, Trainer
Google voice: +1 512 213 0613 | Skype: steven.list

Michael Sahota

Sep 1, 2011, 12:28:39 PM9/1/11
to agile...@googlegroups.com
I used 99 Test Balloons recently and it really drove home the point about testers, BAs and dev's needing to interact.

Fun too.

Mark Levison

Sep 1, 2011, 2:00:20 PM9/1/11
to agile...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Michael Sahota <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
I used 99 Test Balloons recently and it really drove home the point about testers, BAs and dev's needing to interact.

Thanks I like especially since I can do it with paper and not ballons. 99 pieces of paper :-).

Cheers
Mark

Declan Whelan

Sep 3, 2011, 11:30:33 AM9/3/11
to agile...@googlegroups.com
I'm also looking for games for testers new to agile. I would like participants to explore:
  • defect tracking strategy over time: within iteration, bug found unrelated to current iteration, bugs found post-release
  • quality reporting: the value of BVC such as low-tech testing dashboard
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Declan

Lisa Crispin

Sep 3, 2011, 12:08:22 PM9/3/11
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I missed this thread til today.

The Jenga game is really the creation of Nanda Lankalapalli, my teammate, but I have tweaked it and also some other people who tried it have sent me their notes. Here are my latest notes on it. Mark, if you try it, please let me know how it works.

I'm working on a new game using one of those plastic straw construction kits, hoping to teach the value of tester-programmer collaboration, inspired by a drinking straw kit game Lanette Creamer showed us at WAT2. (Other roles could be involved too). I hope to get some help with it at Agile Games Day in Columbus.
-- Lisa
--
Lisa Crispin
Co-author with Janet Gregory, _Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams_ (Addison-Wesley 2009)

Jenga game.docx

Lisa Crispin

Sep 3, 2011, 12:17:49 PM9/3/11
to agile...@googlegroups.com
I used the drawing game in a talk on defect tracking (fix and forget, or use a DTS, etc) at Agile 2010 and ACCU 2011 and it worked pretty well. Know the one I mean? It was this group and Kane Mar who told me about it. I'm attaching the slides I used for it, and also, the drawing that I used and the one that Janet uses, I'm not sure how she used hers, but it has colors as well,  At ACCU I added it in at the last minute because I had a longer time slot than I expected, so I didn't have any slides or a drawing printed up for them to copy. Our conference badges contained a small conference schedule that included a drawing of the vendor expo layout, so I had them copy the vendor expo layout, it worked fine even though there were about 70 people crammed into a room with rows of chairs, no real space - they used each others' backs, and seemed to  have a good time, and really get value. I am so grateful to you folks on this list!
-- Lisa

DrawingExercise.pdf
Drawing Game.pdf
DrawingExercise.pdf

Declan Whelan

Sep 10, 2011, 1:52:44 PM9/10/11
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Lisa,

I'm guessing this would require 30 - 40 minutes. What worked for you for a timing perspective?

Declan

Mark Levison

Sep 20, 2011, 11:33:30 AM9/20/11
to agile...@googlegroups.com
In the end I had to run with 99 pieces of paper. Of over 40 submitted I came close to accepting one :-) Everything else was a reject. They learned their lesson.

When I have more time, energy and sleep I want to try Lisa's game.

Cheers
Mark Levison

MarkMark Levison | Agile Pain Relief Consulting | Certified Scrum Trainer
Agile Editor @ InfoQ | Blog | Twitter | Office: (613) 862-2538
Recent Entries:
Story Slicing How Small is Small Enough, Why use an Agile Coach

Christian Baumann

Mar 25, 2013, 4:12:37 AM3/25/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

we played the Jenga game ~2 weeks ago with 7 participants, and it went quite well, a report is available here: http://blog.agilepartner.net/agile-testing-games-seminar-on-march-14th-2013/
We did some modifications: We used only 27 blocks, we defined exact user stories and also the blocks that had to be used for these stories.

Best,
Christian

Timofey Yevgrashyn

Mar 25, 2013, 4:22:24 AM3/25/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

One of my favorite games for showing Testing concepts is 99 Test Balloons, which is described on TastyCupCakes.

It has iterative dynamics, so people can inspect and adapt their apporach. And it shows very fast the value of Acceptance Criteria (clarification) and Test Automation (templates to compare with).

It's easy to setup and very dynamic, so you can fit into 30 minutes easily

Timofey Yevgrashyn,

Author at "The Improved Methods"
http://tim.com.ua
http://www.facebook.com/tim.com.ua