SC rules that Info Commission cannot order disclosure of information under Sec 18

C K Jam

Dec 12, 2011, 11:15:25 PM12/12/11
to humja...@googlegroups.com
In a recent judgment, the Apex Court has ruled that the SIC/CIC cannot order disclosure of information while decising Complaints under Sec 18 of the RTI Act.

The full judgment is attached.

The whole purpose of the RTI Act is to disseminate information. What is the big point in the Commission hearing Complaints under Sec 18, if the information cannot be disclosed ?

Beats me completely.

RTIwanted.
Commission cannot order disclosure of information while heairng complaint under Sec 18.pdf

sarbajit roy

Dec 13, 2011, 8:38:22 AM12/13/11
to HumJanenge Forum People's Right to Information, RTI Act 2005
Dear Mr Jam

I am given to understand that you have applied for post of Central
Information Commissioner.
The applicants are expected to be persons of eminence in fields like
law. If you cannot answer your own question, then I suggest you
withdraw from the field <wink> <wink>

PS: The SC has answered your query. The CIC sits in section 18 to levy
penalty u/s 20.

Sarbajit

>  Commission cannot order disclosure of information while heairng complaint under Sec 18.pdf
> 231KViewDownload

sandeep kumar

Dec 13, 2011, 8:48:56 AM12/13/11
to humja...@googlegroups.com
I may be wrong but I firmly believe that the case was not pursued
properly by the lawyers of the commission.
Read section 18(1):
Where the Central Information Commission or the State Information
Commission, as the case may be, at the time of deciding any complaint
or appeal is of the opinion that the Central Public Information
Officer or the State Public Information Officer, as the case may be,
has, without any reasonable cause, refused to receive an application
for information or has not furnished information within the time
specified under sub-section (1) of section 7 or malafidely denied the
request for information or knowingly given incorrect, incomplete or
misleading information or destroyed information which was the subject
of the request or obstructed in any manner in furnishing the
information, it shall impose a penalty of two hundred and fifty rupees
each day till application is received or information is furnished, so
however, the total amount of such penalty shall not exceed twenty-five
thousand rupees:

It clearly says that the commission while hearing complaint/appeal
shall impose penalty till information is furnished.

Please comment whether I am wrong or right.

--
Dr. Sandeep Kumar Gupta
989, Sector 15-A, Opposite bishnoi Colony, Hisar-125001, INDIA

jaiprakash narain

Dec 13, 2011, 9:19:53 AM12/13/11
to humja...@googlegroups.com
It is shocking nonsense.

M.K. Gupta

Dec 13, 2011, 10:48:05 AM12/13/11
to humja...@googlegroups.com
The decision of the Hon’ble Court is not clear on the use of Section 18 of the RTI if appeal is filed in pursuance of section 7(2) on the failure of the PIO to give decision on the request for information.  The decision has failed to clarify whether both the options can be exercised simultaneously or only one can opt for one option either u.s. 18 (Complaint) or 19 (Appeal).  If that is so, one will have to to choose between punative action on the PIO or getting the information from the public authority.

However, good decision has been made in para 45 which says that organizations cannot be exempted retrospectively. (from back date.)

Dec 13, 2011, 9:17:04 PM12/13/11
to humja...@googlegroups.com
dear sirs,
this decision is based on basis that  CIC appeal rules( para 35 the Central Information Commission (Appeal Procedure) Rules, 2005 )are still valid.
however, this facts is wrong.
It is better, to file complaint cum appeal with the commission.
with regards
rakesh gupta

Manu

Dec 13, 2011, 11:51:49 PM12/13/11
to HumJanenge Forum People's Right to Information, RTI Act 2005
Mr Jam,

The Apex Court has only pointed out that Section 18 can't be evoked to
order disclosure of information. This does not mean the information
can't be disclosed under the RTI Act.

As the judgment reads: "The nature of the power under Section 18 is
supervisory in character whereas the procedure under Section 19 is an
appellate procedure and a person who is aggrieved by refusal in
receiving the information which he has sought for can only seek
redress in the manner provided in the statute, namely, by following
the procedure under Section 19."

Regards,
Manu

sarbajit roy

Dec 14, 2011, 1:49:16 AM12/14/11
to HumJanenge Forum People's Right to Information, RTI Act 2005
Dear MK

Since my email was addressed to Jam, it is better that he comments.
I have no illusions about my own popularity in this group.

Sarbajit

On Dec 13, 9:08 pm, "M.K. Gupta" <mkgupta...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Dear Sarab,
>
> I understand that you have no right to comment like this on the capability of a person and should not discourage any aspirant like this.
>
> This job will be done by the Selection Committee for ICs. The integrity, sincerity and bonafides also count and members have no doubt about these virtues in Jam. I Do not know about their views on you.
>
> Whether I am wrong or right can be decided on the reactions of the members on my aforesaid comments.
>

> ________________________________
> From: sarbajit roy <sroy...@gmail.com>

sarbajit roy

Dec 14, 2011, 1:54:08 AM12/14/11
to HumJanenge Forum People's Right to Information, RTI Act 2005
Re: not furnishing information.

When the PIO issues a further fee computation AND the applicant
deposits the further fees and THEN if the PIO does not provide the
information within the time calculated under section 7 factoring in
all the PROVISOS which stop the 30 days clock ONLY THEN is information
said to be "not furnished".

In the SC case, the PIs did not reply. So the only course in terms of
Act is section 19 first appeal.

Sarbajit

On Dec 13, 6:48 pm, sandeep kumar <drsandgu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I may be wrong but I firmly believe that the case was not pursued
> properly by the lawyers of the commission.
> Read section 18(1):
> Where the Central Information Commission or the State Information
> Commission, as the case may be, at the time of deciding any complaint
> or appeal is of the opinion that the Central Public Information
> Officer or the State Public Information Officer, as the case may be,
> has, without any reasonable cause, refused to receive an application
> for information or has not furnished information within the time
> specified under sub-section (1) of section 7 or malafidely denied the
> request for information or knowingly given incorrect, incomplete or
> misleading information or destroyed information which was the subject
> of the request or obstructed in any manner in furnishing the
> information, it shall impose a penalty of two hundred and fifty rupees
> each day till application is received or information is furnished, so
> however, the total amount of such penalty shall not exceed twenty-five
> thousand rupees:
>
> It clearly says that the commission while hearing complaint/appeal
> shall impose penalty till information is furnished.
>
> Please comment whether I am wrong or right.

M.K. Gupta

Dec 14, 2011, 5:13:11 AM12/14/11
to humja...@googlegroups.com
Dear Roy,

When your mail was addressed to Shri Jam, why this was sent to all other members?
It should have been sent to him directly.  He (Jam) has behaved in a dignified manner by not reacting to your mail so far.

Chitta Behera

Dec 14, 2011, 5:26:45 AM12/14/11
to humja...@googlegroups.com
You are right in quoting the relevant extract to prove that the apex court should have noted the word 'complaint' mentioned alongside of 'appeal'. But you have inadvertently mentioned Section 18(1), in place of Section 20(1). Thanks for the quotation.
Chitta Behera

Dec 14, 2011, 7:38:09 AM12/14/11
to humja...@googlegroups.com
I always "Act", never "React".

RTIwanted

Dec 14, 2011, 11:24:34 AM12/14/11
to HumJanenge Forum People's Right to Information, RTI Act 2005
Dear MK

1) The right course is to do nothing. The judgment is perfectly sound
and should be appreciated.

2) The wrong course.is to file a curative petition.

3) The perfect course is to assail the bloody Union of CICs+SICs. The
way they work is that CIC and a few SICs like Karnataka, AP, P&H etc
have "federated" to muck up the RTI Act. The CIC doesn't show its hand
because most of their cases get appealed to Delhi High Court & SC with
strong opponents (like immodest me) who don't allow them to get away.
But, if some poor appellant from Manipur who cant afford a senior
advocate in SC or come in person for every hearing is the opponent,
then the RTI movement / Act gets screwed.

Unfortunately, we (the opponents) never unite, so "they" keep on
getting gift horses like this from the SC.

Sarbajit

On Dec 14, 6:20 pm, "M.K. Gupta" <mkgupta...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> U have not minced words while giving your reaction. Every body does not possess that courage.  This does not mean that every body feels that it is a shocking nonsense but if some body else feels like that, may not gather courage to display his feelings.
>
> The right course will be to go to the SC again in review etc. on the ground of error of facts and law.
>

> ________________________________

M.K. Gupta

Dec 14, 2011, 10:24:28 PM12/14/11
to humja...@googlegroups.com
In this case the appellant to SC was Manipur State Information Commission (er) and naturally the govt. advocate must have fought the case.  Such lapses, if our presumption  is correct, like brining full facts to the knowledge of SC like provisions of section 18 that information should also be provided under this section, are not abnormal

Without bringing the errors in the judgment to the knowlege of SC, how these error can be plugged? In such circumstances, such errors will become rules and every public authority will refuse to give information if complaint is filed.

However, filing complaint cum appeal may be a via-media as suggested by one enlightened member.

Sent: Wednesday, 14 December 2011 9:54 PM
Dec 15, 2011, 6:34:30 AM12/15/11
to humja...@googlegroups.com
Can some one explain in simple language without using legal words and jargon,   what the SC order/judgement means to a common person.  thanks. rgds.

Dec 17, 2011, 4:06:57 PM12/17/11
to humja...@googlegroups.com
Respected Sarabajit Singh,
I agree with comments of Shri M.K. Gupta. My sincere appeal to you being a highly learned, elderly citizen and doing yeoman services to society, please respects others' feelings too and don't hurt others by avoidable words, statements etc. It is not befitting to your status surely (not very particularly herein matter). Who knows even if Jam is selected (may be with some limitations or not matching your standards) might do better than many past/ present CICs/ SICs. It is indisputable fact that in-spite of 6 years what is the fate of real implementation of RTI Act all over India. You nicely talk about GIta, Upnishads etc but I wonder why you have to knowingly or unknowingly hurt others feeling at any time.Please do not take this my suggestion as personal or with any hard feelings but it is due to my  respect for you.
Thanks & Best Regards,
Mukund Parikh /Mumbai

robby sharma

Dec 20, 2011, 6:45:35 AM12/20/11
to humjanenge google groups
Sir I have not received the Supreme Court Judgment regarding Section-18 please send to me

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 02:36:57 +0530
From: mk...@yahoo.co.in

sarbajit roy

Dec 20, 2011, 8:05:22 AM12/20/11
to HumJanenge Forum People's Right to Information, RTI Act 2005
Hi Robby

Visit
https://groups.google.com/group/HumJanenge/browse_thread/thread/b65bed30b3b425b4

Goto the very first post in this thread (by C.K.Jam)
Download the file from the last line in that post

Sarbajit