Re: Abridged summary of ww1lit@googlegroups.com - 2 Messages in 1 Topic

Chris Spriet

Feb 14, 2014, 1:13:49 PM2/14/14
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
As far as Ivor Gurney is concerned, the only sensible association which I could think of in connection with his poetry (and indeed, his music) would be that he wrote some of it during his spell in the 'infamous Ypres Salient' or the vicinity of the 'infamous Menin Road', where he got gassed in 1917.

Surely I would not go as far as to call Gurneys' subtle and profoundly human poems 'notorious', which I think is what the word 'infamous' really comes up to.

Chris Spriet

_____________

kervyndreef 11
8200 brugge
belgië

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/ww1lit/topics

    Meg Crane <megm...@gmail.com> Feb 13 02:42PM

    School pupils almost invariably seem to think that "infamous" means "very
    famous indeed" rather than "famous for evil deeds". I expect this
    journalist is rather young ... it's what comes of not ...more

    Back to top

    Stace <st...@galnet.dk> Feb 13 07:31AM -0800

    Indeed yes Meg! (I began to doubt if I'd read it correctly!).

    I have challenged the author to explain their word choice on this very
    forum.

    Stace

    Den torsdag den 13. februar 2014 ...more

    Back to top