Ivor Gurney event in the Gloucestershire Echo

Stace

Feb 12, 2014, 2:31:26 PM2/12/14
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
Just seen this brief article about an event inspired by Gurney:

What I don't understand is why he is referred to as 'infamous' - any ideas? (I have expressed concern on their comments section).

Stace

Meg Crane

Feb 13, 2014, 9:42:07 AM2/13/14
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
School pupils almost invariably seem to think that "infamous" means "very famous indeed" rather than "famous for evil deeds". I expect this journalist is rather young ... it's what comes of not learning Latin any more!

Meg

Stace

Feb 13, 2014, 10:31:23 AM2/13/14
to ww1...@googlegroups.com
Indeed yes Meg! (I began to doubt if I'd read it correctly!).

I have challenged the author to explain their word choice on this very forum.

Stace