[wtr-general] Fwd: [selenium-developers] Proposal for a Selenium StackExchange site

Željko Filipin

Apr 30, 2010, 6:18:23 AM4/30/10
to watir
What do you think about creating Watir Stack Exchange site? It is free and uses Stack Overflow software. I think it would be the the best solution for Watir support, but I can not support it myself.

Forwarded mail is part of this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/selenium-developers/browse_thread/thread/6bf910d44cbf4628?hl=en

For the people not familiar with Stack Overflow and Stack Exchange:

http://stackoverflow.com/
http://blog.stackoverflow.com/

http://stackexchange.com/
http://blog.stackexchange.com/

There is already some Watir traffic at Stack Overflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/tags/watir

Željko
--
watir.com - community manager
pledgie.com/campaigns/2982 - donate to Watir

Apr 30, 2010, 6:52:54 AM4/30/10
to Watir General
That is a really great thing to happen to Watir support as it will
help both the sides in finding out the relevant issues faster...

Looking forward to it...

-Betsy Joy

On Apr 30, 3:18 pm, Željko Filipin <zeljko.fili...@wa-research.ch>
wrote:
> What do you think about creating Watir Stack Exchange site? It is free and
> uses Stack Overflow software. I think it would be the the best solution for
> Watir support, but I can not support it myself.
>
> Forwarded mail is part of this thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/selenium-developers/browse_thread/thre...
>
> For the people not familiar with Stack Overflow and Stack Exchange:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/http://blog.stackoverflow.com/
>
> http://stackexchange.com/http://blog.stackexchange.com/
> selenium-develo...@googlegroups.com<selenium-developers%2Bunsu bsc...@googlegroups.com>
> .
>
> --
> Before posting, please readhttp://watir.com/support. In short: search before you ask, be nice.

Željko Filipin

May 3, 2010, 5:49:22 AM5/3/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Betsy <joyb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is a really great thing to happen to Watir support as it will
> help both the sides in finding out the relevant issues faster...
> Looking forward to it...

Betsy,

Are you saying you are interesting in helping me support the site? That would make the two of us. Anybody else?

Željko

Wesley Chen

May 3, 2010, 7:35:34 AM5/3/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
I don't know whether I can help or not.

Wesley.
For life, the easier, the better.

Željko Filipin

May 3, 2010, 7:49:31 AM5/3/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Wesley Chen <cjq...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know whether I can help or not.

Wesley,

Could you please be more specific? You do not know if you will have the time to help, or is something else the problem?

Betsy

May 3, 2010, 8:02:50 AM5/3/10
to Watir General
Surely interested in helping as much as I can... :)

-Betsy Joy.

On May 3, 2:49 pm, Željko Filipin <zeljko.fili...@wa-research.ch>
wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Betsy <joybe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That is a really great thing to happen to Watir support as it will
> > help both the sides in finding out the relevant issues faster...
> > Looking forward to it...
>
> Betsy,
>
> Are you saying you are interesting in helping me support the site? That
> would make the two of us. Anybody else?
>
> Željko
>
> --
> Before posting, please readhttp://watir.com/support. In short: search before you ask, be nice.

Kunal

May 3, 2010, 11:04:38 AM5/3/10
to Watir General
I am game for it as well. Let me know what's next ?

Željko Filipin

May 3, 2010, 11:10:24 AM5/3/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Kunal <kunal.kr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am game for it as well. Let me know what's next ?

You can check Stack Exchange site if the three of us is enough people to start the site. You can also copy Selenium proposal for creating the site and replace the data with Watir's data.

I plan to do it in a day or two, but feel free to do it yourself. :)

If the three of us are not enough people to start the site, we will have to wait for more people to say they are interested in supporting the site.

Željko

George

May 3, 2010, 2:34:24 PM5/3/10
to Watir General
I am interested in helping, although I'm still a little unclear about
what I need to do.

On May 3, 8:10 am, Željko Filipin <zeljko.fili...@wa-research.ch>
wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Kunal <kunal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am game for it as well. Let me know what's next ?
>
> You can check Stack Exchange site if the three of us is enough people to
> start the site. You can also copy Selenium proposal for creating the site
> and replace the data with Watir's data.
>
> I plan to do it in a day or two, but feel free to do it yourself. :)
>
> If the three of us are not enough people to start the site, we will have to
> wait for more people to say they are interested in supporting the site.
>
> Željko
>
> --
> Before posting, please readhttp://watir.com/support. In short: search before you ask, be nice.

Kunal

May 4, 2010, 12:48:24 AM5/4/10
to Watir General
Question - Are we targeting to move to stackexchange based community
and hence leaving Google group?

Betsy

May 4, 2010, 2:28:17 AM5/4/10
to Watir General
Got confused with how to create new proposal.. :(

Topic
A StackExchange site dedicated to the popular open-source Watir
automation software, primarily used for testing.

Target Audience
Users and contributors to the Watir projects. There are currently
quite a lot of questions tagged 'watir' on StackOverflow, and a lot of
these questions are related to using Watir rather than programming.
Previously the user forums ran on Google Groups, where over 1,400 user
often post more than 50 times each day. I propose that a StackExchange
site would be a better user experience, and encourage a more active
community of users.

Five exemplary on-topic questions

How can I check if an element is visible on the page?
How do I send keys to a file upload element?
How do I enable implicit timeouts in Watir?
How do I check a JavaScript variable?
Some exemplary off-topic questions

How do I check the database?
Feature <X> doesn't work!
When is the next version going to be released?
How do I scrape <X> content from site <Y>?

-Betsy Joy.

Željko Filipin

May 6, 2010, 10:05:35 AM5/6/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:48 AM, Kunal <kunal.kr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Question - Are we targeting to move to stackexchange based community
> and hence leaving Google group?

Yes. That is my personal goal. I am not sure what other people think. I think Stack Overflow software is the best solution for Watir support.

Google group will probably live for some time, even if a lot of people move to Stack Overflow, but I hope it will die soon.

Željko

Željko Filipin

May 6, 2010, 10:09:35 AM5/6/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Betsy <joyb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Got confused with how to create new proposal.. :(

Betsy,

Thanks a lot for your effort. I think you have copied Selenium proposal a bit too much. :)

I will create the proposal and post a link here, so people could vote on it.

Željko

Željko Filipin

May 6, 2010, 11:00:28 AM5/6/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com, watir
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:34 PM, George <george....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in helping, although I'm still a little unclear about
> what I need to do.

George (and everybody else interested in helping),

For now, all you have to do is:

1) Read http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/6056/proposal-for-watir-site (1 minute)
2) If you like the idea, create account at http://meta.stackexchange.com/ and vote the question up (1 minute)
3) If you do not like the idea, do nothing
4) If you really do not like the idea, create account at http://meta.stackexchange.com/ and vote the question down (1 minute)

If you have any comments or questions, comment here or there or at http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23watirflow

Željko

Betsy

May 10, 2010, 6:26:14 AM5/10/10
to Watir General
Voted up...

:)

-Betsy Joy

On May 6, 7:09 pm, Željko Filipin <zeljko.fili...@wa-research.ch>
wrote:
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Betsy <joybe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Got confused with how to create new proposal.. :(
>
> Betsy,
>
> Thanks a lot for your effort. I think you have copied Selenium proposal a
> bit too much. :)
>
> I will create the proposal and post a link here, so people could vote on it.
>
> Željko
>
> --
> Before posting, please readhttp://watir.com/support. In short: search before you ask, be nice.

Željko Filipin

May 10, 2010, 6:28:47 AM5/10/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Betsy <joyb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Voted up...

Thanks :)

Željko

Željko Filipin

May 25, 2010, 5:17:58 AM5/25/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
Just to let you know what is going on. Proposal for Watir site is on the second page of top-voted proposals:

http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged?tagnames=site-proposal&page=2&sort=votes&pagesize=15

How the site will be created:

http://blog.stackexchange.com/post/628155535/interview-with-lead-developer-david-fullerton

Is short: wait a week or two and I will let you know what needs to be done.

Željko
--
watir.com - community manager
watirpodcast.com - host
testingpodcast.com - audio podcasts on software testing. all of them
vidipodkast.com - pričamo o hardveru, softveru i časopisu Vidi

Kunal

May 26, 2010, 7:12:06 AM5/26/10
to Watir General
great!! However we could have had more up votes given the number of
members in this group.