[dcphp-dev-job] PHP Developer

Nancy Barker

Feb 15, 2010, 7:17:15 PM2/15/10
to washington-...@googlegroups.com

PHP Developer needed for a fulltime position in Baltimore, MD

Salary to about 75k, excellent benefits

Description:   Position is part of a team that provides development, design, and analysis of web sites, web-based applications, and web-based services. We want someone innovative to think outside the box who wants to work with leading edge web tools focused around PHP.

The primary duties and responsibilities of the job:

• Using advanced PHP, MySQL, and Drupal coding methodologies / tools, this position is the lead developer for planning, developing, implementing, testing, and supporting custom web applications, drupal modules, interactive forms, social networking platforms, and data presentation widgets. The PHP Developer will liaise with database and automations developers to build web applications, reports, and modules linked directly to a custom CRM, authentication server, and databases.

• This person will develop and maintain the intranet and extranet web sites using CSS for (tableless) layout, valid and accessible(X)HTML, JavaScript, AJAX, semantic web presentation layer development standards, and other modern web technologies. The PHP Developer will translate design comps and written descriptions into web sites, applications, and front-end components.

• The PHP Developer will maintain and extend the custom Content Management System developed in Drupal including a custom module set, custom CSS based Drupal theme, custom page templates, scalable permission and security settings, and web environment requirements.

• This position will collaborate to maintain, debug, upgrade, and scale web application code, web content (including images, rich media, documents, and HTML), and dynamic data.

• The PHP Developer will work with project teams (including technical and non-technical staff) to develop site architecture, navigation, technical specifications, and requirements for new web sites and web applications.

• This position will evaluate and recommend emerging web / online technologies.

• The PHP Developer will support Information Systems staff with monitoring sites and servers for usage, and systems stability and security.

Requirements:

• Bachelor’s degree with three or more years experience in designing, programming, and planning web sites and applications required (or equivalent years combination of education and significant related experience).

•Must have demonstrable mastery of PHP, MySQL, JavaScript / DOM, CSS for layout, (X)HTML (with and without a WYSIWIG editor), proficiency in modern web techniques (sIFR, JavaScript frameworks, etc) and best practices, experience with Macromedia Dreamweaver and Photoshop, and excellent organization and communication skills.

Preferred:

•Experience working with APIs such as Google Apps, relational database concepts, PL/SQL, Java, web monitoring concepts and reporting tools, mass emailing software such as Lyris or Listserv, project management and ecommerce.

 Please include sample URLs or an online portfolio with your resume.

Will provide employer name during discussion of position.

Please send resume to or call:

Nancy Barker

BARKER Search LLC

nba...@barkersearch.com

866-521-4442

443-280-0064 (cell)

www.linkedin.com/in/nbarker2002

jproffer

Feb 15, 2010, 8:02:05 PM2/15/10
to Nancy Barker, washington-...@googlegroups.com
Just a note, that the subject is supposed to begin with [job], not [dcphp-dev-job]. Need consistency for any of us using filters, to work.

Thanks

Ed Holzinger

Feb 15, 2010, 8:31:04 PM2/15/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
So maybe i've been cloistered in my own little world for too long, so those of you out there with a better understanding of the current employment reality, please enlighten me.

This job pays "about" $75K, yet requires the lucky winner of the gig to be a master of PHP, MySQL, well, let's review the pertinent paragraph:

Must have demonstrable mastery of PHP, MySQL, JavaScript / DOM, CSS for layout, (X)HTML (with and without a WYSIWIG editor), proficiency in modern web techniques (sIFR, JavaScript frameworks, etc) and best practices, experience with Macromedia Dreamweaver and Photoshop, and excellent organization and communication skills.

So this developer must be a database expert, a UI expert and a PHP expert? Oh, and you gotta know Dreamweaver and Photoshop AND on top of all that, gotta have a fabulous bedside manner? And be well-versed in diplomacy as well, apparently (liaise? you're kidding, right?). I can't tell for sure, but it also sounds like the candidate might need to be a sysadmin: "... monitoring sites and servers for usage, and systems stability and security."

All this for $75K? Does this person even exist?

Thoughts?

Marcel Esser

Feb 15, 2010, 8:35:50 PM2/15/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
You sound surprised, Ed.

I find that job postings like that are usually written by an HR person with some very casual input by the senior developer (if there is one). As a result, they get completely mangled in the process.

The HR world hasn't yet figured out how highly specialized we are in these areas. Or at least, they aren't acting like it. This is why jobs at tech sector companies usually get filled a lot faster, I think. They know whom to ask for what.

- M.

jproffer

Feb 15, 2010, 8:46:06 PM2/15/10
to Marcel Esser, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
I'm betting they know.  They also know the economy is still in the crapper, and apparently we're supposed to be lucky to even see a job post.

Then again, it's Baltimore.. COL is still relatively cheap up there compared to the DC area.

Marcel Esser

Feb 15, 2010, 8:51:02 PM2/15/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Heh. The people wanting to hire me must be fakes and spies, then. ;)

Oh well, it's a self-correcting system, et cetera. Another day, another job.

Dan Drinkard

Feb 15, 2010, 8:52:58 PM2/15/10
to Marcel Esser, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
This is all recruiters seem to be pushing lately. I'd posit that anyone who finds dreamweaver acceptable in a dev environment, or would even mention a wysiwyg markup generator in a professional setting isn't looking for a 'master' of either php or mysql and falls squarely in the "doesn't know what they don't know" category.

That said, I do feel this is pretty representative of the area job market right now. Shops are using the slow economic recovery as an excuse to get away with murder.

@Jobmatchbox

Feb 15, 2010, 8:59:52 PM2/15/10
to Dan Drinkard, Marcel Esser, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group

Bad staffing agency recruiters should not lower your expectations for their profession any more than the bad programmers who lower the expectations for your profession.  There are a lot of people out there who need people to just get the job done, but there are also a lot of people out there who have high standards that define their business practices – both in recruiting and in engineering.

D Keith Casey Jr

Feb 15, 2010, 9:06:55 PM2/15/10
Dan Drinkard wrote:
> That said, I do feel this is pretty representative of the area job
> market right now. Shops are using the slow economic recovery as an
> excuse to get away with murder.

Completely agreed... but personally, I'm glad they're being open about it.

It allows me to add interesting notes in my fully up to date CRM.. and reminds
me of who to make intros to/for later. ;)

kc

--
D. Keith Casey, Jr.
CEO, CaseySoftware, LLC

Dan Drinkard

Feb 15, 2010, 9:23:37 PM2/15/10
to D Keith Casey Jr, Marcel Esser, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Truth be told, this one is nowhere near as ridiculous as some of the stuff that's been going around. I've never heard of such a thing as a competent developer who doesn't know how to provision a LAMP stack or write a little front-end code, and they're only asking for 3 years experience. "Demonstrable mastery" is a bit hilarious, but you lost me at 'leading edge web tools' (plz halp streemline our huge legacy codebase lol) and 'custom CRM' (giant spaghetti monster).
--
Dan Drinkard
703.298.3014

Brandon Savage

Feb 15, 2010, 9:24:27 PM2/15/10
to Dan Drinkard, Marcel Esser, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
On Feb 15, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Dan Drinkard <dan.dr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is all recruiters seem to be pushing lately. I'd posit that
> anyone who finds dreamweaver acceptable in a dev environment, or
> would even mention a wysiwyg markup generator in a professional
> setting isn't looking for a 'master' of either php or mysql and
> falls squarely in the "doesn't know what they don't know" category.
>
> That said, I do feel this is pretty representative of the area job
> market right now. Shops are using the slow economic recovery as an
> excuse to get away with murder.

As someone who is actively on the job market I'm finding these are the
majority of the positions out there. And know what? People are
applying in droves. It's as though the recession is just now affecting
PHP devs.

I don't bother applying for these jobs anymore and I've found that
recruiters are even worse. The gems are few and far between but they
are out there.

jproffer

Feb 15, 2010, 10:05:01 PM2/15/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
I think its probably safe to say that Nancy isnt going to be posting any more jobs here - I know we're all pissed about the situation with employers today and how they undervalue our skills, but if we want recruiters to continue posting here perhaps we should find another punching bag to abuse ;)

Joshua Boyd

Feb 15, 2010, 10:07:21 PM2/15/10
to jproffer, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
They're almost too easy of a target.
--
Josh Boyd
Software Engineer

Dan Drinkard

Feb 15, 2010, 10:08:46 PM2/15/10
to jproffer, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Yeah, sorry about that... should mind my manners regardless.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:05 PM, jproffer <jpro...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dan Drinkard
703.298.3014

Josh Walton

Feb 15, 2010, 10:31:04 PM2/15/10
to Ed Holzinger, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Just think,  some poor fool of a hiring manager will be convinced they have found the perfect candidate meeting their budget and all... 6 months later, with little progress...  they will be spending twice that for someone to pick up the mess.

No worries here, soon enough our market (php) will correct, and real talent will get it's due.  That's usually the story.  It just takes time... and a number of failed projects.

D Keith Casey Jr

Feb 15, 2010, 10:46:11 PM2/15/10
jproffer wrote:
> I think its probably safe to say that Nancy isnt going to be posting any
> more jobs here - I know we're all pissed about the situation with
> employers today and how they undervalue our skills, but if we want
> recruiters to continue posting here perhaps we should find another
> punching bag to abuse ;)

Agreed on this too. We should mind our manners.. myself included. Whether it's
a "great" posting or not, we all benefit from having employers actively
hunting to hire people on this list.

That said, for recruiters out there, I have some suggestions:

* Learn a little about the list. Following the policies (which Nancy made a
good shot at) is a good step.

* Track the other postings on the list and where they are in terms of skills
and compensation. I can't imagine that a recruiter would skip this for
competitive research reasons alone;

* If possible, bounce the posting off someone you trust in the field. I don't
mean spam random contacts, but show the listing to the team it's going to and
collect feedback.

* If members of said team are on the list, have them post it. I'm much more
likely to read and potentially pass along a job post from [any one of ~40+
contributors] than some random recruiter.

My 0.02,

Derek Kinzel

Feb 15, 2010, 10:45:50 PM2/15/10
to D Keith Casey Jr, Dan Drinkard, Marcel Esser, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
I have never attended a DC PHP Dev monthly meeting or drinking session at Four Courts in Arlington, have never coded in PHP, barely passed my high school course in C++ Programming, but I am a member of this group and enjoy seeing the emails going back & forth between group members. Whether it be asking for help in a certain situation, a particular place to look for answers, a certain file, etc...I like to view & see what is being said. It helps me in my professional career of being an IT Recruiter here in the Washington, DC Area. If I can pick up 1 thing from these emails, that will help me understand something, and will help me do my job in the future...then it was worth it.

I enjoy learning new things, gaining some kind of new insight into something unkown or unfamiliar to me. I enjoy pushing the boundaries, and ultimately finding new ways to find top talent and fill the positions I have open.

Whatever the case, I am by no means an expert in anything. I am not an expert in Recruiting. I am not an expert in Watching Television, and will never be... nor do I want to be an expert in PHP Programming. But what I will say is that I am Open to new things. I don't make fun or direct negative comments to individuals who are just sharing information.

So what if someone is looking for a PHP Developer, who is a "Master" in Database Development, and has a User Interface Design aspect to their abilities, and is an Administrator to Top it Off! This individual was just passing off information. You can either read it or choose not to. There is no harm in sharing information, something that each and every one of you does on a daily basis while being a member of this group, and asking for help.

I think we all need to re-evaluate ourselfs when making knit-picking comments. Everyone knows that a job description is a list of information, job responsibilities, desired technologies, and qualifications. The individual who is constructing this job requirement is making a WISH LIST, a Christmas List to Santa, a long winded call-out / cry for the PERFECT Candidate to fill some urgent need. In all Honesty, the individual who might possibly fit this 100 point job description, doesn't exist, doesn't live within 25 miles of the job location, makes $40 grand higher in compensation...and probably died 13 years before. It is a Job Description to say the least...and that is all.

What is the problem with someone sending out a job description that has all these skills? Is that a crime? Do you feel in-adequate that you can't fill this role yourself? I mean seriously - just sit back and laugh it off if you think it's a joke...chuckle for a minute or two...maybe an hour or two. But don't hide behind your keyboard, computer, or email address and send off some Reply-All trying to cut someone down just to get the praise & applause of everyone else.

It is just a job opening. You can delete it, print off a copy of it and put it on your cubicle wall so you can look at it and smile everyday, spam it, whatever you choose.

- Derek Kinzel

Feb 16, 2010, 12:06:43 AM2/16/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
To recruiters, and in comment to any emails above, I can really only
give one constructive comment:

Your 100 point checklist is a ridiculously substandard way of finding
a qualified candidate in this industry. This is basically the same
problem as when non-technical people ask technical questions: You're
asking us to enable a specific path instead of asking how to solve a
problem within specific constraints - which is an engineering
decision, not a management process.

For example:

Bad question: How can I speed up Drupal?
Good question: Why is my Drupal site slow?

Bad question: I need a PHP developer that is also a database expert, a
UI guru, has great communications skills, and knows
Proprietarytechnology 1.0 inside and out.
Good question: I need a PHP developer that will work on developing
applications driven by Oracle database with billions of rows of
records. Additionally, we use Proprietarytechnology 1.0 in the role of
XYZ. Developer's responsibilities will likely include negotiating with
the client for the UI layout also.

It's late, and my example might be a bit obfuscated, but I think you
get my meaning.

- M.

Sandy Smith

Feb 16, 2010, 12:45:30 AM2/16/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
So, random thoughts from a hiring manager, speaking entirely for myself, not for my company (My team has no open positions, though Forum One is hiring):

1) This is perhaps not the best job ad in history but it is not that bad. "Mastery" is a very vague word, and nobody wants to advertise for someone who's "mediocre" at PHP, etc. So cut them a little slack that word, which seems to be the big problem for most people.

2) Learn to read job ads for what they really want. They almost all must pass through an HR person who is NOT a programmer, and sometimes vetted language is helpfully "punched up" by some editor before going out, not realizing they're effectively changing the requirements by using more "positive" and "colorful" language. I'm going to use "needless" "quotes" some more, "here."

3) When we've worked with recruiters--and I assure you as a hiring manager I see the same ratio of good/bad ones (hint: don't call me to ask about a position and then demonstrate that you never bothered to visit the company website to look at the description we have posted--and hint: when I say I don't deal with recruiters and you'll have to talk to the same HR person who didn't call you back the last time, you not getting a gig doesn't mean I'm suddenly empowered to deal with recruiters...so...don't call me), we've usually just supplied a position description to them. They didn't alter it much, so the wording may not have changed much if someone from the hiring org posted it themselves.

4) The years of experience and the main technologies mentioned are the important parts of a job ad, as are some of the "types of work environment" experience credentials. The extra stuff is usually requested by the HR person to give them a way to sort through the avalanche of applicants, most of whom are barely if at all qualified, who arrive in their inbox. So if there is, as I once abused a quasi-governmental agency for requesting, a 'magical pony who craps rainbow sherbet is flitting around a meadow somewhere thinking to itself, “You know, I think I’d rather have a government web job,”' they can find it.

5) The key word is "Drupal." They're not really asking for somebody who can invent a new algorithm better than quicksort or even bridge C++ to Ada to PL/SQL to PHP or implement a perfect Strategy pattern using techniques borrowed from OCaml...they're asking for a PHP web developer who can configure, theme, and write some custom modules for Drupal that might work with some outside systems that others seem to be responsible for. Your best bet is to send in a competently formatted (and spell-checked--seriously, do not put "detail-oriented" and have spelling errors) resume and a cover letter addressing the important points and showing how your experience matches those points.

6) And yeah, if you can't hang some Javascript and CSS with XHTML onto those template files, then you're probably not right for the job, and you should move on. And start Googling some tutorials because I know I expect basic Javascript, CSS, and X/HTML out of even backend PHP developers.

7) There are a lot of people applying for much lower-paying jobs, but quite frankly, there are a lot of people who believe in spamming every open position they find with the same resume regardless of whether they're qualified or not. Trust me, it's really obvious to the people on the other side when you do this. You will get much better results if you target your application to the position, and skip ones that you know you're not really right for. I realize this is hard when you're not currently working, but a better effort on likely positions will get you more than minimal effort on every position you find.

8) Not every technical team is that great, and even if they are, they aren't always great at finding the right people for the job, as the temptation is to hire someone like yourself, because hey, you're awesome! Even if someone like yourself isn't really right for the job. It's not smart, but it's really human. So while I have many issues with recruiters, I don't think you can always lay the blame at their feet for not making their clients smarter. Who among us hasn't had to swallow our pride and do something kinda dumb because the guy with the money said he didn't care, he just wanted it that way?

9) If your organization is hiring for a PHP-centric position and you haven't posted the job ad here--and there's no legal/contractual reason you can't--for heaven's sake, why???

10) None of this is to suggest that recruiters don't have problems of bullet-point matching that other people have brought up, or that they shouldn't match candidates to positions using something better than what any random HR person can do in order to make them worth the money.

Hope this is useful to somebody,
Sandy

Ed Holzinger

Feb 16, 2010, 8:56:13 AM2/16/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Wow. How did we get from talking about banning job recruiters on this list two weeks ago to telling each other we need to mind our manners so as not to offend those same recruiters?

Sure, I could simply ignore the posting or print it out for my cubicle and yes, I did chuckle about it a bit and at the same time wondered what other folks thought about it. Thus my question, to a group where questioning things is part and parcel of what we do. At the same time I also was truly curious whether this sort of description is typical. I haven't been job hunting in many a year.

If recruiters can't stand the scrutiny, well maybe this isn't the right forum for them. I enjoy reading the job postings as it does in fact educate me about what's going on. But to suggest we simply accept what's in there and not question or challenge it is rather naive.

For the record, I'm not hiding behind my email address or keyboard or anywhere else. My name is Ed Holzinger, I live in Montgomery County, if you want my phone number, msg me and i'll send it to you. I regularly attend DC-PHP meetings and am known, to those who attend, as a bit of a snark and somewhat of a troublemaker. I work downtown (regular meeting attendees know where and I will tell you in a private msg if you ask) and am willing to meet whomever thinks I'm hiding at any time and any place.

And it's nit-picking. My daughter knit-picks, and quite well. I wear one of her scarves when it's cold and windy.

D Keith Casey Jr

Feb 16, 2010, 9:06:40 AM2/16/10
Ed Holzinger wrote:
> Wow. How did we get from talking about banning job recruiters on this
> list two weeks ago to telling each other we need to mind our manners so
> as not to offend those same recruiters?

Ed,

Let me apologize a bit.

I didn't mean your initial criticism, I thought that was valid and - as always
- on point. In fact, you're one of the people that I count on to call BS where
it applies. ;) I meant that the huge pile-on - which I participated in - was
overkill. I'm sorry that my criticism looked like it was directed at you.

This is what happens when we're all stuck at home for a week!

We need a Beverage Subgroup STAT.

Joseph LeBlanc

Feb 16, 2010, 9:10:06 AM2/16/10
to Sandy Smith, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
This is good stuff Sandy.

I was once at a dinner party where I met an HR director looking for programmers. Although she was looking for someone with Rails experience, we kept talking about the position as she was frustrated by not being able to find anyone.

It turned out that the programmers at her company had done absolutely nothing to give her a lay of the land. She had never heard of 37signals and didn't realize that they had a job board exclusively for Rails jobs.

Is this really her fault? I think we can all help make the system work better. Keep in mind that HR is responsible for filling all sorts of positions (accounting, marketing, legal, customer service, etc...), each requiring unique skill sets. If you know that a programming position is coming up in your department, make an effort to find whoever will be responsible for posting the ad and talk with them. Make sure they understand the primary function of the job, and tell them as much as you can about what kinds of applicants you'll be getting.

-Joe

Dan Drinkard

Feb 16, 2010, 9:37:43 AM2/16/10
to Joseph LeBlanc, Sandy Smith, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Specifically, I think point #10 is dead on. As was said, this one in particular really wasn't all that out of the realm of reality, but these posts have been increasingly frustrating when taken as a whole, and that's what I keyed into. I think that every bit as much as an applicant should tailor their resume and approach to a specific job, those looking to fill positions should consider their audience when posting. Whether or not the person they're seeking exists and would be willing to do x work for y compensation should be irrelevant if those numbers are calculated based on what can be gotten away with vs. what's fair and respectable; and naive as that I acknowledge that may be, I'm certainly not going to be less disappointed by that equation and those trying to profit from it.

Feelings about tech recruiters aside, has anyone implemented a fragment caching solution for CodeIgniter that they've been pleased with?
Dan Drinkard
703.298.3014

@Jobmatchbox

Feb 16, 2010, 9:53:47 AM2/16/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
These suggestions work great for corporate recruiters who are actually
working directly with the hiring teams. The staffing agency recruiters
(especially the ones who do hit and run job posts to user groups without
following the lists they are on) are simply hunting for candidates based on
criteria they have been given - usually by a sales rep who sold to the
hiring team person on getting their agency's help. That said, they may be
working on PHP job one day or maybe for a week and then working on a
Sharepoint job and a Oracle DBA job the next.

Feb 17, 2010, 12:30:26 AM2/17/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
> All this for $75K? Does this person even exist?

The skillset isn't that hard to find. Most developers that have been
working for small-to-medium-sized companies for at least 5 years
should have that type of experience. Plus, there are a lot of things
that probably aren't even real requirements. I've applied to several
jobs that mentioned J2EE and they didn't even have a Java development
environment, much less existing J2EE code. It's easier to throw out
buzzwords and hope that candidates meeting most of the requirements
will apply anyway.

The 75k is the bigger issue (by 5 years in, that type of developer
should probably be around $95-$105k, IMHO). The lower the salary, the
more the headhunter can take off the top. Chances are that the
original company is willing to pay about $90-$95k and the headhunter
is trying to get about 18-20% of that (highway robbery). It's why I
don't like dealing with headhunters / recruiters. The original company
still ends up paying full price, while the new employee gets a 18-20%
"penalty" in his/her salary, and probably isn't AS satisfied with the
company as he/she could have been with a full salary.

I think it would be far better for DC PHP members to post openings
from their own workplaces. That way, at least there's some "trust"
built into the referral, the member will probably get some referral
bonus, and there shouldn't be any penalties to the job hunter.

That said, there are several technical openings at my own place of
work, and the company has impressed me so far:
http://tbe.taleo.net/NA8/ats/careers/searchResults.jsp

There are offices all over the U.S. but there's a branch over in
Herndon, VA for us DC metro residents.

On Feb 15, 8:31 pm, Ed Holzinger <ed.holzin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So maybe i've been cloistered in my own little world for too long, so those
> of you out there with a better understanding of the current employment
> reality, please enlighten me.
>
> This job pays "about" $75K, yet requires the lucky winner of the gig to be a
> master of PHP, MySQL, well, let's review the pertinent paragraph:
>
> Must have demonstrable mastery of PHP, MySQL, JavaScript / DOM, CSS for
> layout, (X)HTML (with and without a WYSIWIG editor), proficiency in modern
> web techniques (sIFR, JavaScript frameworks, etc) and best practices,
> experience with Macromedia Dreamweaver and Photoshop, and excellent
> organization and communication skills.
>
> So this developer must be a database expert, a UI expert and a PHP expert?
> Oh, and you gotta know Dreamweaver and Photoshop AND on top of all that,
> gotta have a fabulous bedside manner? And be well-versed in diplomacy as
> well, apparently (liaise? you're kidding, right?). I can't tell for sure,
> but it also sounds like the candidate might need to be a sysadmin:
> "... monitoring
> sites and servers for usage, and systems stability and security."
>
> All this for $75K? Does this person even exist?
>
> Thoughts?

> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Nancy Barker <nbar...@barkersearch.com>wrote:>  *PHP Developer* needed for a fulltime position in Baltimore, MD

> > Salary to about 75k, excellent benefits

> > *Requirements:*

> > • Bachelor’s degree with three or more years experience in designing,
> > programming, and planning web sites and applications required (or equivalent
> > years combination of education and significant related experience).
>

> > •Must have demonstrable mastery of *PHP*, MySQL, JavaScript / DOM, CSS for

> > layout, (X)HTML (with and without a WYSIWIG editor), proficiency in modern
> > web techniques (sIFR, JavaScript frameworks, etc) and best practices,
> > experience with Macromedia Dreamweaver and Photoshop, and excellent
> > organization and communication skills.
>

> > *Preferred:*

> > •Experience working with APIs such as Google Apps, relational database
> > concepts, PL/SQL, Java, web monitoring concepts and reporting tools, mass
> > emailing software such as Lyris or Listserv, project management and
> > ecommerce.
>
> >  Please include sample URLs or an online portfolio with your resume.
>
> > Will provide employer name during discussion of position.
>
> > Please send resume to or call:
>
> > Nancy Barker
>
> > BARKER Search LLC
>

> > *nbar...@barkersearch.com*
>
> > 866-521-4442
>
> > 443-280-0064 (cell)
>
> > *www.linkedin.com/in/nbarker2002*

> > --

> > washington-dcphp-...@googlegroups.com<washington-dcphp-group%­2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

David Walker

Feb 17, 2010, 12:47:16 AM2/17/10
to jhilgeman, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 17, 2010, at 0:30, jhilgeman <jhil...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> All this for $75K? Does this person even exist?
>
> The skillset isn't that hard to find. Most developers that have been
> working for small-to-medium-sized companies for at least 5 years
> should have that type of experience. Plus, there are a lot of things
> that probably aren't even real requirements. I've applied to several
> jobs that mentioned J2EE and they didn't even have a Java development
> environment, much less existing J2EE code. It's easier to throw out
> buzzwords and hope that candidates meeting most of the requirements
> will apply anyway.
>
> The 75k is the bigger issue (by 5 years in, that type of developer
> should probably be around $95-$105k, IMHO). The lower the salary, the
> more the headhunter can take off the top. Chances are that the
> original company is willing to pay about $90-$95k and the headhunter
> is trying to get about 18-20% of that (highway robbery).

Why not require employer in posting?

jproffer

Feb 17, 2010, 1:22:35 AM2/17/10
to jhilgeman, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
oohh I like that idea.

@Jobmatchbox

Feb 17, 2010, 9:14:46 AM2/17/10
to jhilgeman, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
For the record, this is just wrong:

" The lower the salary, the more the headhunter can take off the top.
Chances are that the original company is willing to pay about $90-$95k and
the headhunter is trying to get about 18-20% of that (highway robbery). It's
why I don't like dealing with headhunters / recruiters. The original company
still ends up paying full price, while the new employee gets a 18-20%
"penalty" in his/her salary, and probably isn't AS satisfied with the
company as he/she could have been with a full salary."

There are four ways recruiters make money. If you want to know what they
are there is an article that clarifies this here:
http://jobmatchbox.com/wordpress/2010/02/17/how-recruiters-get-paid-and-why-
they-deserve-it/

Group: "Washington, DC PHP Developers Group" - http://www.dcphp.net

To post, send email to washington-...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe, send email to
washington-dcphp-...@googlegroups.com

Ed Holzinger

Feb 17, 2010, 9:29:04 AM2/17/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Did the jobmatchbox site just get PHP-dotted? Wandered down to the recent comments rail (lower right) and none of them load ...

Ed Holzinger

Feb 17, 2010, 9:42:27 AM2/17/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Heh. The jobmatchbox page finally timed out with this error ...

Probably not optimal to have your error page toss quite that much information ...

dragonwize

Feb 17, 2010, 10:06:49 AM2/17/10
to @Jobmatchbox, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
@Jobmatchbox

While I understand your post tries to say that there are many ways
that agencies make money and that not all of them are bad, I have to
disagree with the statement that they are only a few cases where
highway robbery is committed.

Me and my gf recently moved to the DC metro area and she got a job
though an agency. Her job so happen to be for a small company and she
was the office manager. Part of her duties was payroll. She actually
cut the check for her normal salary for 6 months and watched her check
come back to her with a 45% cut off the top. So for the first 6 months
she had to accept half salary. This agency was not a small shop either
they were a large company placing thousands of people. At that rate
they are making a killing.

I know there are good agencies out there but the bad ones are more
than just a few. Especially when the large agencies placing a large
number of people are the bad ones. It takes a lot of smaller agencies
doing it better to out weigh that.

PS. I founded and ran for 3 years the Jacksonville, FL PHP user group.
My policy on job posts from recruiters was simple. Make an improper
post and you will be kicked and your post deleted. Most of the rules
surrounded being open and honest.

To me this is not just a PHP list is goes deeper to the fact that PHP
is open source which has a different nature all to itself. A posting
has to include not only information about the job but information
about the company, including specific information like company name,
website, etc. Looking for a job is a 2 way street. It is not just a
company looking for a good employee but also an employee looking for a
good company.

Many recruiters would not provide that on fear that you can go around
them. To me that is the first sign of someone I do not want to work
with. If the company that hires you doesn't trust you with their HR
then why should I trust you. If the agency was a good business
providing a good service at a good cost, no one would want to go
around you because they would lose you as a resource. Only someone
that has something fear has something to hide.

--
Alan Doucette

Marcel Esser

Feb 17, 2010, 10:34:52 AM2/17/10
to washington-...@googlegroups.com
"Only someone that has something fear has something to hide."

With respect, I really hope you only mean that in the context of
business. Because, if not, the ghosts of every person on earth who
fell in battle against oppression of freedom, privacy, or happiness,
may beg to disagree with you. :)

dragonwize

Feb 17, 2010, 10:41:17 AM2/17/10
to Marcel Esser, washington-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, yes I meant it in reference to situations that are two way
streets not personal information.

--
Alan Doucette

@Jobmatchbox

Feb 17, 2010, 11:10:48 AM2/17/10
to dragonwize, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Temp agencies are a different animal. I have added my thoughts on this to
the post on Jobmatchbox that you can read here:
http://jobmatchbox.com/wordpress/2010/02/17/how-recruiters…hey-deserve-it

Feb 17, 2010, 12:17:26 PM2/17/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Just the messenger - I do not know the hiring team.

Talented Engineer/Activist Tech position at Doctors for America
----------------

Doctors for America, a grassroots, non-profit advocacy organization that
utilizes on on-line organizing tools to mobilize physicians in favor health
care reform, is looking for a three month, temporary IT whiz to help us
with pending website redesign, creation of custom CMS, web tool design and
update and database management. Must be available full time starting March
1st. The right candidate could become fulltime, full benefits in June.
Ideal applicant would have experience developing websites with custom
CMSs; 2-3 years experience with PHP development, mysql databasing,
javascript;
2-3 years experience with javascript, HTML, css; prefer experience with
AJAX based development and highly prefer experience with development of
tools
for advocacy groups. Campaign IT experience and familiarity with
non-traditional work schedules a plus.

Responsibilities:

* Creation of a custom site CMS for
- addition and management of content
- tracking of member activities
- integration of online advocacy tools (petitions, donations, etc.)

* Porting of existing online infrastructure
- import of existing pages into CMS
- import of numerous mysql databases containing user information and
activities

* Development of online advocacy tools
- creation of online tools for calling congress, writing Letters to the
editor, fundraising, story banking, creating petitions, etc.

- emphasis on streamlined user experience, customizable tools and
analyzable aggregate data

* Development of campaign management infrastructure
- create a shared campaign management system for collaborative campaign
execution by a dispersed field team
- such a system would track progress towards individual and regional goals
- provide real time feedback on campaign progress to organizers and
participants
Compensation: $4,000 per month.
To apply: Email resume, cover letter and at least three links to your
online work to: _drsforamer...@gmail.com

Aaron Brazell

Feb 17, 2010, 1:00:10 PM2/17/10
to Ed Holzinger, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
More importantly, the base64 stuff throws red flags. Robert has your site been hacked? I know a WordPress guy...

Aaron Brazell
CEO, Emmense Technologies
Lead Editor, Technosailor.com
Author, The WordPress Bible

e: aa...@technosailor.com
b: http://technosailor.com
t: http://twitter.com/technosailor
p: 443-455-1056Aaron Brazell
web:: www.technosailor.com
phone:: 410-608-6620
skype:: technosailor
twitter:: @technosailor

jproffer

Feb 17, 2010, 1:02:16 PM2/17/10
to @Jobmatchbox, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
hmm doesnt that make you a recruiter?  ACK!! RECRUITER ALERT!!  SIC 'EM

Jonathan Hilgeman

Feb 17, 2010, 2:30:31 PM2/17/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
> For the record, this is just wrong:

No it's not. What you describe as "Fee for Placement" in your blog post
is a recruiter-friendly way of talking about the same thing. What I'm
describing is more realistic because it takes hiring budgets into account.

Example:
You have Company offering a Job for $100,000 a year.

Your way: Billy Recruiter gets involved and places the employee
full-time with an 18% of the employee's first-year salary as his fee
($18,000). Company has now paid a total of $118,000 for the first year
for that employee, while the employee gets $100,000. This is fine,
assuming the company has an extra $20k sitting around in a hiring budget.

My way (more realistic): The Company has a maximum budget of $100,000,
so they have to lower the salary to adjust for the fee. They lower the
salary to about $85,000, so the 18% fee, which is about $15,000, all
adds up together to fit into the original $100,000. So Company ends up
paying $100,000 while the employee gets a lower starting salary.

As far as 18% - that is the average negotiated end in my experience.
Most recruiters seem to start at 21% and can be talked down to 18%
without too much trouble. I've never seen any recruiter willing to
negotiate below 15%. Regardless of the negotiation, the Company is still
paying fees out the nose for the placement.

Staff Augmentation
Maybe it's just my personal experience but I've only come across "Staff
Augmentation" once (and even then, the recruiter was trying to push the
employee into a normal full-time or contract-to-hire scenario in order
to get an additional fee). The benefits portion of this deal isn't
necessarily stable, which is a detriment to the job seeker.

Contract-to-Hire
What you described in your bog post is a valid point, but the Company
still has to work out additional paperwork and can't just "be done with"
the process. This benefits the recruiter in that he/she feels like
he/she has an "in" to place even more people, although it typically ends
up costing the Company more in the long run.

Hourly/Salary Recruiters
Maybe this is true for internal recruiters, but at this point, they are
less of a "recruiter" and more of an employee trying to get referral
bonuses. There's no penalty to the company (chances are that there are
enough recruiting needs to make that position available in the first
place, so they're saving money over normal recruiters), and no penalty
to the employee for taking advantage of the offer.

What's worse is that recruiters are constantly trying to gobble up new
job hunters so that they can make sure that even if the job hunter COULD
have found the position via Monster or something, they can have a
document that says, "We found him first - Company needs to pay us to get
him or else." I've only had that situation come up once, and at that
point, I just tossed the resume (which was unfortunate for that job
hunter). Ultimately, the headhunters (the majority of which are pushing
Fee for Placement) are getting out of control and are causing more
problems for both companies and job hunters than they're solving.

I have no problem with internal recruiters, but everything else has
really gone overboard.

> [...]

>>> �Must have demonstrable mastery of *PHP*, MySQL, JavaScript / DOM, CSS

> for
>
>>> layout, (X)HTML (with and without a WYSIWIG editor), proficiency in
>>>
> modern
>
>>> web techniques (sIFR, JavaScript frameworks, etc) and best practices,
>>> experience with Macromedia Dreamweaver and Photoshop, and excellent
>>> organization and communication skills.
>>>

>>> *Preferred:*
>>>

>>> �Experience working with APIs such as Google Apps, relational database

>>> concepts, PL/SQL, Java, web monitoring concepts and reporting tools,
>>>
> mass
>
>>> emailing software such as Lyris or Listserv, project management and
>>> ecommerce.
>>>

>>> Please include sample URLs or an online portfolio with your resume.
>>>

>>> Will provide employer name during discussion of position.

Frank Stovicek

Feb 18, 2010, 11:49:45 AM2/18/10
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group

"... everything else has really gone overboard ."

True of so much in the world today. Too many people making money for doing nothing or getting paid for someone elses work. A societal problem, though. Not one specific to tech recruiters.

On this specific subject, however, the issue of recruiters having high fees I think will only get worse as sites like monster.com get better and better at connecting talent to employers. The recruiting industry is changing their prices and practices to adjust for loss of volume.

My two cents.

- Frank

fsto...@dcigroup.com | Phone: (202) 777.3702 | Cell: (202) 870.3578 | 1828 L Street N.W. Washington, DC 20036

>>> http://groups.google.com/group/washington-dcphp-group?hl=en