WBQuad troubleshooting: no video/HDMI output

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 14, 2013, 12:27:35 PM6/14/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks.  I need some help troubleshooting a WBQUAD issue: I'm not getting any video output from the HDMI out, and I'm not sure how to proceed.  Note that I am not a developer, but I am a competent Linux user, so while a lot of things here will be over my head, I should be able to gather troubleshooting and debugging doc without much trouble.

So far, I have . . .

  1. downloaded the WBQuad Android 4.2.2 image

    • I've also walked through the following steps using the wandboard-quad-ubuntu-11.10-20130604.img image with the same results

  2. DD'd that image to my mSD card per the Quick Start Guide: dd if=./android-4.2.2-wand-quad-preview-20130607.img of=/dev/[my_SD_card] bs=1M

    • I've DD'd the image both from Linux and OSX machines with the same results

  3.  inserted that mSD card into the OS mSD card slot on the processor board, plugged in an HDMI-to-DVI cable that's attached to an HDCP-enabled monitor, and plugged in my 5V 2A 10W power supply

    • I've tried this with multiple monitors and multiple HDMI-to-DVI cables with the same results
    • I've tried booting with a USB keyboard attached, and/or with an OTG cable attached, with the same results

  4. in every iteration above, a green light on the board comes on and nothing happens at the monitor

    • to reiterate, this is the same result whether booting the Android or Ubuntu images from the Wandboard downloads page
However, at least with Android, the image appears to be booting: with an OTG cable plugged between the board and my laptop, I can do the following:
  • "adb devices" and see the board listed
  • "adb shell" and get into a functional Android command prompt
  • "logcat" from within the adb shell and watch as the boot progresses and generates log entries
If I leave logcat running indefinitely, I eventually get kicked out of the shell and the board disappears from "adb devices".

I've also noticed that I can only access the device via adb on the first boot after DD'ing an image to the mSD card: the board does not appear in "adb devices" after any subsequent boot of the same mSD card (reset button, reboot from within the adb shell, hard power off/power on, etc.).

So, I appear to have a functional board with a functional Android image on the mSD card, but I'm not getting any video output via HDMI, and the instability between first and subsequent boots isn't encouraging.  Any advice on where to start?

Note that I don't have a null modem cable available, but will be able to pick one up over the weekend to help with debugging.

--Matt

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 14, 2013, 2:04:18 PM6/14/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Board hooked up to laptop via OTG cable, no SD card inserted, powered on: issuing "system_profiler SPUSBDataType" (akin to lsusb on OSX) shows:

        SE Blank ARIK:

          Product ID: 0x0054
          Vendor ID: 0x15a2  (Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.)
          Version: 0.01
          Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
          Manufacturer: Freescale SemiConductor Inc
          Location ID: 0x04100000 / 4
          Current Available (mA): 500
          Current Required (mA): 10

So again: board appears to be alive, just no output to HDMI.

--Matt

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 14, 2013, 3:34:41 PM6/14/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Turns out I can successfully SSH into the 20130604 Ubuntu 11.10 image:

[mwnovak@silverBook wandboard-quad-ubuntu-11.10-20130604]$ ssh ro...@192.168.0.11
ro...@192.168.0.11's password:
Welcome to Linaro 11.10 (development branch) (GNU/Linux 3.0.35+ armv7l)

 * Documentation:  https://wiki.linaro.org/

New release '12.04 LTS' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

Last login: Thu Jan  1 00:00:55 1970

For anyone else who comes looking, default [login / password] here is [root / linaro].

More evidence of a happy board; just no video.

--Matt

ArchAngel Azrael

Jun 14, 2013, 4:09:42 PM6/14/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Hi, any chance to you test using only a HDMI cable and not a HDMI-DVI cable ?

Leonardo

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 14, 2013, 4:34:24 PM6/14/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leonardo.  I can test with straight HDMI, but I'll need to borrow a display.  Bit of a hassle, but I'll see if I can make that test and report back.

Having said that, there really shouldn't be an issue between HDMI and DVI-D, particularly going into a HDCP-compliant monitor.  My understanding is that there's absolutely no manipulation of the digital video signal taking place in this arrangement, though I may be incorrect.

--Matt

ArchAngel Azrael

Jun 14, 2013, 4:57:44 PM6/14/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Another thing to check, are you sure the driver is setting the correct video resolution ?

By the way, when I receive my board ( +/- 60 days, because I live in Brazil) I will use the same cable you are using to connect to my old Samsung 2232BW monitor.

I am very interesting in to know the possible solution for your problem.

Excuse me my bad english.

Leonardo

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 14, 2013, 6:53:01 PM6/14/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
This is with a Samsung 2433BW, a perfectly decent monitor if we can get it working. :)

Still under the Ubuntu image, xrandr gives the following:
root@wandboard:~# xrandr
Can't open display

I've started Google'ing on that, but most of what I'm getting back either seems unrelated or is starting to go over my head.  For what it's worth, this is from a freshly imaged and booted SD card and the monitor has been connected and powered-on the entire time.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

--Matt

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 15, 2013, 6:07:16 PM6/15/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Just tested using an HDMI-to-HDMI cable between the QUAD and a 32-inch Samsung television: still no video output from either the current Android (4.2.2-wand-quad-preview-20130607) or Ubuntu (wandboard-quad-ubuntu-11.10-20130604) images.  Both images were freshly DD'd to the SD card before testing.  No joy.  --Matt

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 15, 2013, 6:12:44 PM6/15/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Two questions:

1) is anyone with a WB QUAD getting video output?  If so, could I trouble you for details of your setup?

2) is it possible that the board needs more than a 2-amp power supply to push a video signal?

Somewhat grasping at straws,

--Matt

Jay Custin

Jun 16, 2013, 5:48:35 PM6/16/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Same here... WB QUAD using HDMI cable to both my monitor and a TV's HDMI and I get zilch.  Unfortunately I do NOT have the luxury of another cable solution - sigh.

On a side bar, I also never see more than one half of the RJ45 Ethernet LEDs to light.  I tried both the Ubuntu and Android images (via dd).

Jay

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 16, 2013, 11:58:38 PM6/16/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
I own the WB QUAD using an HDMI to DVI-D cable for my monitor with video. I used the Yocto image with no changes needed. My monitor model is Dell SP2008WFP using 1680x1050 resolution by default.

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 17, 2013, 9:18:57 AM6/17/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay.  Sorry to hear that you're in the same boat, but thanks for posting.

Question: what power supply are you using?  What monitor?  Just trying to chase down variables.

Regarding ethernet, I've not paid much attention but it appears to be working on my board: SSH'ing into the Ubuntu image, I'd get green and orange lights while interacting with the CLI, as expected.

--Matt

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 17, 2013, 9:21:56 AM6/17/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark.  Thanks for posting: I'm glad to hear that you're up and running with your WBQ.

You're using the yocto-1.4_wandboard_quad_20130606 image currently posted to the downloads page of the wandboard.org site?  I've tried that image as well, but still no video out for me.

What are you using for a power supply?

--Matt

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 17, 2013, 3:14:08 PM6/17/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm using the image from the downloads page. The power adapter I use is a TomTom model A10P1-05MP 5V 2 Amp. The barrel plug is smaller so I used a converter plug.

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 17, 2013, 4:18:56 PM6/17/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Alright Mark, thank you for the info.  Not sure how to explain the discrepancy: I've now tried the Yocto image against two different monitors and two different HDMI-to-DVI-D cables, and no video on either.  This with a 5V2A adapter.

Question to the list: how can I verify that my hardware is functioning as intended? specifically the video and HDMI components?  If the hardware I received is functional, I'm content to work toward (or wait for) a software solution . . . but that becomes an exercise in frustration if my hardware is faulty from the start.

Thanks for any  help,

--Matt

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 17, 2013, 4:36:46 PM6/17/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
I would assume it's a faulty board and request an exchange. I don't see how several boards in the same batch could have different components requiring different device drivers.

ArchAngel Azrael

Jun 17, 2013, 5:29:40 PM6/17/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Hi, are there any log ? The last lines of dmesg, some xorg (?) output (and log) ?

To enable the xorg log :
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=795&pid=7125#pid7125
Try adding
Option "ModeDebug" "true"/var/log/X

To /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Under Section "Device"

Do you tried to plug the hdmi cable * after *  in the the board  after the boot ?

Do you tried some solutions and tips like:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/176300/xrandr-as-root-cannot-find-displays

http://www.solid-run.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=591

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=57030

I have read some comment about the error "xrandr Can't open display":  If anyone gets "Can't open display" while running xrandr commands from this (great!) tutorial, you might be SSH'ing in. You need to run those on the actual X environment. Source: http://therd0.blogspot.com.br/2013/01/mk802-lubuntu-change-resolution.html

I really hope you find the solution, because if I get this problem, I will unable to replace the board here in Brazil.

Leonardo

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 18, 2013, 11:47:38 AM6/18/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Mark: agreed.  I'll contact Future about an exchange.

Leonardo: hopefully this is an isolated issue and you won't have any problems.

For what it's worth, I did try plugging in the HDMI connection after powering on the board and waiting for the image to boot: still no video under either the Android or Ubuntu images.

The xrandr "Can't open display" message was indeed due to being within an SSH session--I should have realized that in the first place.

However, with Mark's confirmation of HDMI output from the same board, power supply, display (roughly), and software image, I'm going to conclude that the board is faulty and seek a replacement.  I'll update this thread with the eventual outcome.

--Matt

www.wandboard.org

Jun 18, 2013, 11:54:37 AM6/18/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Can someone post the logfile from their serial during bootcycle so we can check the logfile.

Please list at same time exactly which file you downloaded from the wandboard download page.

Also to quickly confirm if a board is in working condition. You can read the startup guide. (top post on the forums). There is a way to connect the board over USB OTG and if the board pops up as a device you know that the board is operational and in working order.

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 18, 2013, 2:12:29 PM6/18/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com

Can someone post the logfile from their serial during bootcycle so we can check the logfile.

I do not have a serial cable available at the moment, but I can attempt to post log information later.

Please list at same time exactly which file you downloaded from the wandboard download page.

I have used the following images from the wandboard.org downloads page:
  • android-4.2.2-wand-quad-preview-20130607.img
  • wandboard-quad-ubuntu-11.10-20130604.img
  • Yocto-1.4_wandboard_quad_20130606.img

Also to quickly confirm if a board is in working condition. You can read the startup guide. (top post on the forums). There is a way to connect the board over USB OTG and if the board pops up as a device you know that the board is operational and in working order.

On a linux machine (no SD card):
mwnovak@cube$ lsusb | grep Freescale
mwnovak@cube$

On an OSX machine, immediately after powering-on the board (no SD card):
mwnovak@sbook$ system_profiler SPUSBDataType | grep Freescale

Vendor ID: 0x15a2 (Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.)
Manufacturer: Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
mwnovak@sbook$

On an OSX machine, after leaving the board powered on for several minutes (no SD card):
mwnovak@sbook$ system_profiler SPUSBDataType | grep Freescale
mwnovak@sbook$

Thank you for any help.

--Matt

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 18, 2013, 5:38:31 PM6/18/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Matt or anyone else needing a serial converter, do you have any electronic components that could be used to make your own serial converter?

1) RS232 signal converter IC, several different types of these are available and with different part numbers
2) Female ended jumper wire, for connecting to the serial port on the WB
3) Either a USB to TTL serial adapter, or, a microcontroller with TTL serial and USB, or, a computer with another male ended serial port, if so, just use the female ended wire to connect the two, no circuit needed, google "db9 pinout" you should only need five pins, TX, RX, RTS, CTS, GND. Keep the wires  as short as possible to avoid any interference and loss of data on the line.

I hope this helps in troubleshooting your board as I don't like having to go through all the hassles of exchanging a defective item.

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 18, 2013, 6:58:50 PM6/18/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark.  Thanks for your time here.  I have a serial/null modem cable; I just didn't have it at hand earlier today.

Two files attached are the from boot attempts of the current Ubuntu and Android images (clearly labeled); both logs were captured from boots of freshly DD'd images.  Ubuntu appears to fail while attempting to mount the root file system; Android doesn't appear to record any particular failure.

I don't have another micro-SD card handy, but can pick one up if there's reason to suspect the card.

Also note that I've got the board plugged in via serial with minicom capturing activity from power-on until output stops and remains stopped for a few minutes: please let me know if I should be doing something more/else.

Regarding the hassle of exchanging boards: are you involved with Future Electronics or Wandboard?  Would hate for this to be more of a hassle requesting an RMA and boxing/shipping back the board, if necessary.

Thanks again,

--Matt

android-4.2.2-wand-quad-preview-20130607.boot.log
wandboard-quad-ubuntu-11.10-20130604.boot.log

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 18, 2013, 7:48:43 PM6/18/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
No, sorry I don't work with Future Elec or WandBoard, I'm just another owner of the board with some free time. I'm glad to hear you were able to get some more information regarding the errors. As for the SD card, I have several. Kingston 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB all Class 4. SanDisk 8 GB Class 4. And a few 2 GB no names unknown class. Because I only have slower cards I use the Yocto image. What's the information on the SD card you have?

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 18, 2013, 8:09:47 PM6/18/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed in both logs the processor speed is 792 MHz. Wasn't the processor supposed to be 1 GHz? According to the picture on WandBoard's site, this processor is the consumer version, which is 1.2 GHz.

Ionut Ana

Jun 18, 2013, 10:11:21 PM6/18/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
You most likely have bad board or your monitors do not support the resolution, I've just plugged in my quad wandboard and it has a resolution of 1280 x 720 with no way to change it from the settings. I also believe it has a short time out setting by default to turn of screen, changed that to 30 min.

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 19, 2013, 9:12:32 AM6/19/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Mark: I may have misread your note about returns, but I definitely appreciate your help here.  SD card is a new PNY 16gb class 10.  Googling some of the errors from my ubuntu boot log, I came across several references to corrupted filesystems and failing drives, so I'm running badblocks against the card right now and will also try to fsck the partitions after writing an image to it.  May or may not learn anything new.

Not sure what to make of the reported processor speed or whether it's related to my woes.  What does your board report on boot?

Ionut: thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it.  I've tried the board without success against two Samsung monitors (native at 1920x1200 and 1280x1024) and a 32-inch Samsung 720p television (native 1,366x768, with support for 1280x720).  Haven't gotten so much as a flicker.

If you're running the Ubunutu image, you may be able to get other resolutions by adding modelines to your xorg.conf.  There are probably better/newer/slicker ways to do that, though.

--Matt

www.wandboard.org

Jun 19, 2013, 9:20:57 AM6/19/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 19, 2013, 10:09:06 AM6/19/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:20:57 AM UTC-4, www.wandboard.org wrote:
http://www.wandboard.org/index.php/forums?place=topic%2Fwandboard%2FGfAtmxiBpmY%2Fdiscussion

Hello.  Thanks for your response.

I have followed both the Quick Start and User Guide available from the downloads page, as well as the steps outlined in the "Wandboard startup guide" forum post that you've linked above.  It's possible that I missed something or made a mistake, but to the best of my knowledge I have exhausted the published documentation and support for this board.

Do you have a specific suggestion, question, or request for additional information from me?  Please let me know, and I'll be happy to oblige

Thanks again for any help,

--Matt

jth...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2013, 12:26:10 PM6/19/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I am experiencing the same thing with a brand new board fresk out of the box this morning.  I am using a 16GB SanDisk Ultra Class 10 uSD.

The boot appears successful but no video.  Our boot logs are different though.  Looking through yours I see backtraces and evidence of CPU crashes.  Not sure what could be causing that.  I'm trying to boot the Ubuntu image and what I see is the HDMI is detected but further down at timestamps 3.28/9 are lines "mxc_hdmi: No modes read from edid" and "create default modelist".  The X server is running but nothing on the display.

I have a couple SABRE Lite iMX6Q boards which work just fine with this Dell monitor.  I modified bootargs trying to pick a known working mode (1280x720M@60) but that had no affect.

Evaluating the WBQUAD now as it provides SPI access (which the SABRE Lite lacks).  Definitely need video out for my app though.

My log is attached.

All the best,   Joe

wbquadUbuntuBoot.log

jth...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2013, 12:31:55 PM6/19/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
A couple other odd behaviors I should have mentioned -
 - what's with the "error: unexpectedly disconnected from boot status daemon" output?
 - I am using ttermpro as the terminal connected to the serial out.  Immediately after the "* Starting bluetooth" output line, character color changes within tterm to bright yellow on white.  This is consistent and would seem to indicate an odd character sequence being emitted.  A clue perhaps?

jth...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2013, 1:12:49 PM6/19/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Burned Yocto image and tried booting that.  Fast boot.  No video.
Wired ethernet/TCP/IP work fine.  No wireless (wifi, BT) as expected.
PS shows X server and window manager running yet nothing on HDMI monitor.

Wandboard folks - how to troubleshoot HDMI out before exchanging/returning board?

jth...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2013, 2:46:27 PM6/19/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
A bit more info.  I am using a Dell 1909W monitor.  Tried two different "high quality" HDMI<->DVI cables without success.  In both cases the "No modes read from edid." message appears.  What's up with that?

Switched to a "banner display" which is native 1280x400 but HDMI input only.  There I do see graphics - though four small desktops rendered simultaneously, each in its own quadrant.  The good news is signal is emitted.  The bad news is this isn't what I expect to see.  The edid read failure messages also do not appear.

These HDMI<->DVI cables work fine with both SABRE Lite and Raspberry Pi SBCs.

Ionut Ana

Jun 19, 2013, 10:42:05 PM6/19/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
I have not tried HDMI<->DVI, can you try HDMI to HDMI, there are other boards (cubieboard) that had problems using HDMI to DVI.

www.wandboard.org

Jun 20, 2013, 8:47:42 AM6/20/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The wandboard is a development platform. The images we post in the download page are provided for convenience. A custom version for selected cases can always be compiled/modified by anyone when downloading the sourcecode.

If a display resolution in a demo image is too high for the monitor native resolution you are using. The screen will remain black. With DVI monitors we cannot detect the resolution over the HDMI interface and unless there is a match you will have to make modifications to the runtime demo image or go the sourcecode route.

The below is an example how to change resolution with the Ubuntu image that is currently on the wandboard homepage.

to change resolution to 480p in Ubuntu on the wandboard quad:

1. Connect serial console
2. When u-boot starts, press any key
3. On the u-boot prompt issue the following command => setenv bootargs 'console=ttymxc0,115200 video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,720x480@60,if=RGB32 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rw'
=> save
=> reset
4. The board reboots and Ubuntu comes up with 480p resolution (which all HDMI compliant devices should support)

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 20, 2013, 10:00:58 AM6/20/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Joe: sorry to hear about your troubles, and I wish I could offer some help.  It's encouraging that you got video out over HDMI to that banner display, however.

Ionut: I've tried with both HDMI-DVI and straight HDMI cables with no change.

wandboard.org: I had the same problem over straight HDMI (no DVI) to a 720P television (which natively runs the 1280x720 resolution specified by default in the Ubuntu and Android images).  This was true even when I could still boot to a shell (see below).

Unfortunately, I appear to be chasing multiple issues at this point: when I first posted to this thread, I could boot to a functional shell but lacked video output (like others on the thread); now I can't even boot to a shell (kernel panics; logs attached in previous post).  Will attempt to address the boot issue before resuming with the HDMI output.

--Matt

jth...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2013, 10:32:07 AM6/20/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Since I had been exercising the WBQUAD here in the office and all of the monitors available are DVI, I took the SBC home last night.  I plugged it into a 22" TV/monitor and, lo and behold, on the second try (initial boot the display remained dark and I hit the reset button) the desktop appears!

So, what is different with the Wandboard HDMI circuitry when compared to the SABRE Lite?  One thing I did notice comparing the schematics is the handling of pin 13, labeled CEC-A, as diagrammed on page 23 of the "Wandboard User Guide".  The SABRE Lite schematic shows this pin as not connected.  Could that be it?

Matt - I'd suggest you reburn your uSD card.  I am using the Ubuntu 11.10 quad-core image at this time.  After writing the image to uSD I noticed it looked, well, odd to me.  There is an 8MB unallocated area at the start followed by a 2.5GB (give or take) primary partition (/dev/sdd1) which is followed by a smaller linux-swap partition (/dev/sdd2).  This last piece my workstation flagged as errored by the way.  Using gparted I deleted /dev/sdd2, grew /dev/sdd1 to 12.5GB for room to work then recreated the /dev/sdd2 linux-swap partition using the remainder of the uSD.  This boots and seems stable.

wandboard.org - the displays I am using easily support 1280x720 and I played with the bootargs values yesterday without seeing any change in behavior.  I'll admit I did not try dropping all the way down to 480p resolutions.  Have you been successful with HDMI<->DVI presentations?  If so could you let us know what has worked for you?

All the best,   Joe

jth...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2013, 12:39:46 PM6/20/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Apologies...  Just noticed I cited the wrong page for the wandboard HDMI connector schematic.  That is on page 26 (last page of the doc I downloaded) NOT 23.

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 21, 2013, 5:01:27 PM6/21/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Joe: I'd re-written the SD card several times throughout the troubleshooting proces.  Turns out the SD card itself went south: with a new SD card, I'm once again able to boot images (boot log from the latest Android image attached).

Still no video out to any display, however, even after tweaking the bootargs as suggested above.

Found this and am wondering if it's the culprit: http://boundarydevices.com/hdmi-cea-mode/

The offending code exists in mxc_hdmi.c for both the current Wandboard Android and Ubuntu sources.  I've applied the Boundary Devices patch, but can't successfully build: anyone able to test this while I get my build environment sorted out?

Pretty far out of my depth here, so give a shout if this is an obvious no-go.

--Matt

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 21, 2013, 5:04:14 PM6/21/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to attach the boot log from the current Android image: it appears clean, but I would be grateful for a more experienced set of eyes.  --Matt
android-4.2.2-wand-quad-20130621.boot.log

www.wandboard.org

Jun 21, 2013, 8:55:12 PM6/21/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Repost because no response on suggestions.

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 22, 2013, 12:16:15 PM6/22/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com

Repost because no response on suggestions.

We got output at 640x480 using the following video statement in bootargs:

video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080P@60,if=RGB24

So far no luck getting better than 640x480 via xrandr magic.

Any thoughts on the following?

--Matt

jth...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2013, 3:08:19 PM6/22/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

uSD went bad?  I guess "when it rains..."

Looked through your boot log and, yes, looks clean to me too.  Did notice the kernel bootline still specifies 1280x720@60.  To get the 480p output do you interrupt the boot and set bootargs?  I left my board in the office for the weekend.  Nice find on the Boundary Devices link.  I have the source respository in place and synced.  Will get it set up for native compilation when I'm back in the office (with the mxc_hdmi.c CEA mods in place).

Enjoy your weekend!   Joe

Matthew W. Novak

Jun 22, 2013, 10:03:04 PM6/22/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com

Looked through your boot log and, yes, looks clean to me too.  Did notice the kernel bootline still specifies 1280x720@60.  To get the 480p output do you interrupt the boot and set bootargs?  I left my board in the office for the weekend.  Nice find on the Boundary Devices link.  I have the source respository in place and synced.  Will get it set up for native compilation when I'm back in the office (with the mxc_hdmi.c CEA mods in place).

Hi Joe.

I captured that (clean) boot log before I had any video output.  The following video statement in the bootargs is what finally garnered output:

video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080P@60,if=RGB24

640x480 is a far cry from the specified 1920x1080, but hey . . . at least I've verified that the video out isn't dead. :)

I gave up trying to establish a build environment on my laptop (macports + xcode + OSX update management = rats nest), so I'm setting up a dedicated VM for building Android and will see if that works.  Would be very happy if that mxc_hdmi.c patch gets us going at a decent resolution.

--Matt

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 23, 2013, 12:06:37 AM6/23/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Matt I'm glad to hear you got your board working. I found this tutorial http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/Wandboard on making images for either ubuntu or debian. It builds the bootloader and linux kernel. I've used it with no problems. It seems to have several patches for HDMI and other issues on the i.MX6. Also, check the comments on the page for more information.

Martin Wild

Jun 23, 2013, 2:56:42 PM6/23/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Mark!

Ive als found this tutorial @ http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/Wandboard and gave it a try to build my own up-to-date ubuntu image while waiting for my quad wandboard to arrive.
Have you just used it to build an replacement Kernel/U-boot with it or did you create a whole new running card? I am asking because the layout of the created card is completely different from the one wandboard.org offers. and i wonder if it will boot also.

Regards, Martin

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 23, 2013, 7:20:50 PM6/23/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Check the comments page at http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/Wandboard_Comments, people were saying it was working. I haven't had the time to follow the tutorial to find out if it works.

Robert Nelson

Jun 23, 2013, 7:24:48 PM6/23/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Mark Schiech Jr
<marksch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Check the comments page at
> http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/Wandboard_Comments, people were saying
> it was working. I haven't had the time to follow the tutorial to find out if
> it works.

Oh "it works" in so far as one user reported it working after tweaking
the u-boot patch.. I'm just waiting for Fedex to deliver a quad board
week, so that i can personally validate everything on my page. ;)

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 23, 2013, 7:44:43 PM6/23/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Are you talking about the problem Joerg Boge was having, they needed a package because the computer used 64 bit hardware. I counted and there are SEVERAL people reporting success. Reread the comments and you'll find out more information, don't just skim through and say you read it. The person that made this tutorial, Robert Nelson, has made several, so I think they know what they are doing.

Robert Nelson

Jun 23, 2013, 7:58:11 PM6/23/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Mark Schiech Jr
<marksch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you talking about the problem Joerg Boge was having, they needed a
> package because the computer used 64 bit hardware. I counted and there are
> SEVERAL people reporting success. Reread the comments and you'll find out
> more information, don't just skim through and say you read it. The person
> that made this tutorial, Robert Nelson, has made several, so I think they
> know what they are doing.

That's funny... ;) I'm just saying as "author" of said page, I'm
personally also waiting for hardware. ;) Usually I don't add hardware
to the wiki pages, till I have the actual hardware on my desk.. But a
few users had validated it for me.

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 23, 2013, 8:03:04 PM6/23/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
I didn't even notice your name on the post. Great work on the tutorial and all the others you've posted.

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 23, 2013, 8:08:32 PM6/23/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com

Fabio Estevam

Jun 23, 2013, 8:11:41 PM6/23/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Mark Schiech Jr
<marksch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert, going by this page
> http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black I assume you have
> this board? If so, can you tell me how true this post is that I made about
> the board,
> https://groups.google.com/forum/embed/?place=forum/wandboard&showsearch=true&showpopout=true&showtabs=false&parenturl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wandboard.org%2Findex.php%2Fforums#!topic/wandboard/hP2HUErZX3Y.

Sorry, but this is totally off topic in this mailing list.

Robert Nelson

Jun 23, 2013, 8:37:30 PM6/23/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Mark Schiech Jr
<marksch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert, going by this page
> http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black I assume you have
> this board? If so, can you tell me how true this post is that I made about
> the board,
> https://groups.google.com/forum/embed/?place=forum/wandboard&showsearch=true&showpopout=true&showtabs=false&parenturl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wandboard.org%2Findex.php%2Fforums#!topic/wandboard/hP2HUErZX3Y.

Keeping it short, as this is off topic..

So, in my experience, so far 'every' arm board ever released has some
'issues' when first released.

Support forums are exactly that, a location where users who have
issues with a 'board' can post support questions. No one ever takes
the time to sign up for a forum, then post a thread that everything
worked. And remember, the people who design/support the 'board' are
human too...

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 23, 2013, 8:43:50 PM6/23/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Yes I know all of this. I just can't figure out why CircuitCo can't even make the attempts to correct some of the hardware issues. The BeagleBone Black is the second of the BeagleBone model, why are there so many issues? They should've been fixed in the revisions for the first model. They also had even more experience with the beagleBoard and BeagleBoard-xM. Why such crap quality with the new board, because it's just a competition with the Raspberry-Pi.

Martin Wild

Jun 24, 2013, 12:14:10 AM6/24/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Hi,Again

Thanks for the response! But to quick answer my own question:
I followed the tutorial now ,and build an ubuntu 13.05 Server image for wandboard quad on an X64 ubuntu 13.04 host, with an rootfs from linaro taken from here : http://releases.linaro.org/13.05/ubuntu/raring-images ,and it has been confirmed working! Ive uploaded it here for everyone to test :

http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/19364000/file.html

Regards, Martin

Arthur Zeidin

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 25, 2013, 1:06:15 AM6/25/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you would've received two different model boards that were both defective. You should read the forums and ask questions, it could just be a software issue. Try different images for the boards and if possible, different monitors and/or TVs.

Arthur Zeidin

Jun 25, 2013, 1:14:15 AM6/25/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
I have read forum twits and my doul board was working fine until i tried to reconnected  again with updated ubuntu image still there is no hdmi connection.

Mark Schiech Jr

Jun 25, 2013, 1:24:24 AM6/25/13
to wand...@googlegroups.com
Try the Yocto image or Android image. I use the Yocto image. If you have a linux computer you can follow this tutorial to create your own image using Ubuntu/Debian filesystem, http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/Wandboard You will need to create two different images, one for each model board.

Arthur Zeidin

Jun 25, 2013, 1:30:41 AM6/25/13