Opposition to AB-1822 Criminal defendant mental competency

Henny Kupferstein

Jan 12, 2024, 5:46:29 PMJan 12
to michae...@asm.ca.gov, michae...@asm.ca.gov, Patty....@asm.ca.gov, samarpr...@asm.ca.gov
We are requesting that #AB1822 be double-referred to the health committee. So long as DD/ID SPED students are excluded from mainstream sex and health education, we should not be forcing them into perpetual criminalization of their sexual behaviors that are judged as illegal.

We the excluded autistics will staunchly oppose Assemblymember Connolly on this bill until it is amended. Here is our opposition. http://www.hennyk.com/2024/01/12/autistics-opposed-to-ab-1822-competency-to-stand-trial

Sincerely,

Henny Kupferstein, Ph.D.

Stanley Krippner

Jan 12, 2024, 10:57:22 PMJan 12
to vote...@googlegroups.com
Good grief. Don't they realize that autism is not a disease to be cured?
But I do not see the connection with alleged sexual offenders.

Henny Kupferstein

Jan 31, 2024, 2:45:53 PMJan 31
to sandy...@asm.ca.gov, mike...@asm.ca.gov, michae...@asm.ca.gov, Rodgers, Patty, cristina...@asm.ca.gov, vote...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sandy,

I would like to schedule a meeting with Assemblymember Connolly, before your bill is heard in committee. AB-1977 Health care coverage: behavioral diagnoses was introduced yesterday by member Ta, and is in direct conflict with your initiative. The aim of the initiative is to recognize that a developmental disability such as autism is persistent throughout the lifespan. The initiative would prohibit chronic reevaluation for autism to streamline access to behavioral health.

As it stands, your bill language must remove developmentally disabled from your initiative. DD/ID people cannot be rehabilitated, especially not to acquire the skill to suddenly have competency to stand trial. We the autistic people are disproportionately prosecuted for allegations of sex crimes, but we are still excluded from sex and health education.

As a result of your staffer refusing any amendment suggestion (in this case, the removal of 1 word), I must appeal to the member directly.

Sincerely,

Henny Kupferstein, Ph.D.
Hennyk.com  &  Doogri Institute
Qualified expert on informed consent for nonspeaking, ASL, and AAC users
📌 Author of the AGP Model AbleGrounded.com

On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 7:49 AM Henny Kupferstein <he...@hennyk.com> wrote:

Dear Sandy,

Will #AB1822 be double-referred to the health committee, or is this out of your jurisdiction now?
  1. There is no scientific proof that DD/ID people can be treated in a cookie-cutter facility to become 'normalized' to stand trial.
  2. This is an expensive bill because the DDS will have to fund the treatment of a DD/ID person, as they are tasked with the welfare of their consumers
  3. So long as DD/ID SPED students are excluded from mainstream health education, we should not be forcing them into perpetual criminalization of their sexual behaviors that are judged as illegal.
When is the Public Safety hearing, and the deadline for opposition to be registered, and in-person testimony? We are requesting to appear on the agenda.

Sincerely,

Henny Kupferstein, Ph.D.

VOTE HENNY

Feb 6, 2024, 1:40:16 PMFeb 6
to vote...@googlegroups.com, sandy...@asm.ca.gov, mike...@asm.ca.gov, michae...@asm.ca.gov, Rodgers, Patty, cristina...@asm.ca.gov
Attn Assemblymember Connolly,

I am following up on my meeting request. As your bill  #AB1822 is potentially severely harmful to the DD/ID population, I now secured opposition from stakeholders.
  • Your bill is now being tracked by the Deputy Director of Policy and Public Affairs at the State Council on Developmental Disabilities.
  • I am meeting with the lobbyists for the Regional Centers.
  • The ACLU of California is on notice.
Autistic people have been calling your office. Do not silence us.

Sincerely,
Dr. Henny Kupferstein

* reply to unsubscribe from voter database