Re: Business rules and Requirements

Suzanne Robertson

Jan 4, 2008, 1:07:44 PM1/4/08
to vol...@googlegroups.com, soussan...@euroclear.com
The context of work (section 7 of the template) defines the scope of the
business investigation. As you described, the business rules, within the
boundaries of the investigation, are represented as
functional/non-functional/data requirements.

An important point is that if a business rule is within the scope of the
investigation then it is a business requirement. In other words the business
rule must be satisfied. Bear in mind that the scope of the work is
investigating the requirements for a business problem, it does not
necessarily mean that all the requirements within that scope of work will be
satisfied by an automated solution. The solution could be any mix of
software, hardware, manual procedures - all of which must meet the
requirements/business rules.

Occasionally people find it useful to include business rules that are
outside the defined scope of the business investigation. The approach that
we use to do this is to describe them in Section 6 under Relevant Facts.

I have posted your question on the Volere Google Group so that other Volere
users will get the benefit.

Thank you
Suzanne

> I 've read "mastering the requirements process" and "volere requirements
> template". I didn't find anything about where to mention the business
> rules. From the examples I saw, some of the business rules are indeed the
> functional requirements. What is your position ? Are business rules
> represented through "functional/non-functional or data requirements" ? If
> not where do you put them ?
>

> This e-mail message, including any attachments transmitted with it, is
> CONFIDENTIAL and may contain legally privileged information. This message is
> intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is
> addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you should not read, copy,
> distribute, disclose or otherwise use this information. If you have received
> this message in error, please notify us immediately and delete it from your
> system. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed and it
> may be subject to data corruption and unauthorised amendment, for which we
> accept no liability.
> Euroclear reserves the right to retain email messages on its systems and to
> the extent and under circumstances permitted by applicable law, to monitor and
> intercept email messages to and from its systems. Euroclear is the marketing
> name for the Euroclear System, Euroclear plc, Euroclear SA/NV and their
> affiliates.
>
> Please visit our website: http://www.euroclear.com

Suzanne Robertson The Atlantic Systems Guild Ltd.
11 St. Mary's Terrace London
W2 1SU UK

mail: suz...@systemsguild.net
phone: +44(0)20 7262 3395
http://www.systemsguild.com
http://www.volere.co.uk

Download a free copy of my report on Requirements Management at

http://www.cutter.com/offers/requirements.html