Product use case

newbie

Jan 23, 2009, 8:36:54 PM1/23/09
to Volere Requirements
Hi,
I am tasked with matching our existing requirements artifacts with
volere... In doing so, i see a clear link between the following

-Business use case in current world has a place in volere world
-Systems use case in current world which documents user system
interaction- down to the information captured (Logical data) DOESNOT
have a match in Volere.

However, Volere has a product use case, which by definition seems to
captures similar interaction and information..

I was wondering if someone in this group can help clarify my
understanding of a product use case.

It would be awesome if someone can provide an example of a product
use.

Many Thanks,

Suzanne Robertson

Jan 27, 2009, 5:25:58 AM1/27/09
to vol...@googlegroups.com
In short, the Volere Business Use Case (BUC) is the scope of the business
that the BA needs to study in order to understand, communicate and question
a functional chunk of the business. The BUC is the business response to a
Business Event - traceable back to the overall scope of the work. A BUC
covers the business, it goes further than current or future automated
boundaries. A BUC takes you away from the solution and helps you discover
the real business problem.

A Product Use (PUC) is the part of the BUC that the BA/Developer/Customer
agree will be carried out by the Product (usually a software product, but
does not have to be).

A System Use Case (SUC) refers to the internal partitioning of the
Product/Software. These use cases are there because of internal design
decisions that do not need and should not be the concern of the Customer.
The SUCs belong to the designer and developers.

Have a look at http://www.volere.co.uk
There you will find the first 3 articles in the Volere series. The second
one is entitled "Work Scope or Product Scope: Why both?"

I hope that this helps.
Suzanne
Suzanne Robertson
Principal of The Atlantic Systems Guild
suz...@systemsguild.net
www.systemsguild.com <http://www.systemsguild.com>
www.volere.co.uk <http://www.volere.co.uk>

New book 'Adrenaline Junkies and Template Zombies - Understanding Patterns
of Project Behavior http://www.dorsethouse.com/books/ajtz.html

newbie

Jan 29, 2009, 11:56:12 AM1/29/09
to Volere Requirements
Thanks for your response Suzanne.

You bring out an interesting concept- system use case in addition to
business and product use case.

In my limited experience, I havent seen the technical folks (designers
and developers) document a system use case. This doesnt mean that they
dont design, they use UML diagrams like class, sequence, etc to
partition the internals of the system.

Is there a system use case template / example that you can share..

Many Thanks,

On Jan 27, 2:25 am, Suzanne Robertson <suza...@systemsguild.net>
wrote:
> In short, the Volere Business Use Case (BUC) is the scope of the business
> that the BA needs to study in order to understand, communicate and question
> a functional chunk of the business. The BUC is the business response to a
> Business Event - traceable back to the overall scope of the work. A BUC
> covers the business, it goes further than current or future automated
> boundaries. A BUC takes you away from the solution and helps you discover
> the real business problem.
>
> A Product Use (PUC) is the part of the BUC that the BA/Developer/Customer
> agree will be carried out by the Product (usually a software product, but
> does not have to be).
>
> A System Use Case (SUC) refers to the internal partitioning of the
> Product/Software. These use cases are there because of internal design
> decisions that do not need and should not be the concern of the Customer.
> The SUCs belong to the designer and developers.
>
> Have a look athttp://www.volere.co.uk
> There you will find the first 3 articles in the Volere series. The second
> one is entitled "Work Scope or Product Scope: Why both?"
>
> I hope that this helps.
> Suzanne
>

> > Hi,
> > I am tasked with matching our existing requirements artifacts with
> > volere... In doing so, i see a clear link between the following
>
> > -Business use case in current world has a place in volere world
> > -Systems use case in current world which documents user system
> > interaction- down to the information captured (Logical data) DOESNOT
> > have a match in Volere.
>
> > However, Volere has a product use case, which by definition seems to
> > captures similar interaction and information..
>
> > I was wondering if someone in this group can help clarify my
> > understanding of a product use case.
>
> > It would be awesome if someone can provide an example of a product
> > use.
>
> > Many Thanks,

> Suzanne Robertson
> Principal of The Atlantic Systems Guild
> suza...@systemsguild.netwww.systemsguild.com<http://www.systemsguild.com>www.volere.co.uk<http://www.volere.co.uk>
>
> New book 'Adrenaline Junkies and Template Zombies - Understanding Patterns
> of Project Behavior  http://www.dorsethouse.com/books/ajtz.html

Suzanne Robertson

Jan 29, 2009, 12:44:39 PM1/29/09
to vol...@googlegroups.com
The system use cases comprise the internal design of the software. The
system use cases contain all the functionality agreed in the product use
cases however they are partitioned according to the internal design
decisions. If you talk more generically about internal design then you can
think of implementation units instead of system use cases. The important
thing, for responding to change and doing testing, is that your
designers/implementors can trace their design and the implemented system
back to the product use cases and the requirements that support them.