Can no longer get the extension to recognize that I have the companion app installed on Ubuntu 22.04.

rQ9J gBBv

May 18, 2022, 11:01:48 PM5/18/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hi, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox, as a snap and as an app. I installed both the deb file and the universal Linux thing, both as user and as system. But when I go into configuration for the extension it says "Checking companion app returned: No such native application net.downloadhelper.coapp". I downloaded chromium and tried to see if I got the same behavior and I did, so whatever is causing Video Download Helper from recognizing the external app in firefox is also failing to recognize it in Chromium.

rQ9J gBBv

May 18, 2022, 11:04:27 PM5/18/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Screenshot from 2022-05-18 20-03-22.png

mjs

May 18, 2022, 11:28:17 PM5/18/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
It is a Ubuntu specific problem, Mig the developer has offered solutions / workarounds on this post

--
A vdh user

rQ9J gBBv

May 19, 2022, 12:05:02 AM5/19/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Two solutions are listed: use Chrome and reinstall Firefox as an apt. I did both of those and to no avail.

mig

May 19, 2022, 3:32:28 AM5/19/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
If your problem is related to the fact Firefox has been installed through snap, hence not "seeing" the companion app,  I can insure those 2 solutions work. Another solution suggested by a user on github: run Firefox from its top level file path: /snap/firefox/current/usr/lib/firefox/firefox (sandboxing benefit of using snap is also lost).

Another common issue with installing the companion app on Linux is if you first install the app at user level then change your mind, remove the coapp files and reinstall it at system level. If you did not take special care, the user manifest files (describing the app to the browser) are still pointing to the now missing coapp binaries and those manifest files get precedence over the system ones. Solution: search for files named net.downloadhelper.coapp.json in your home directory and remove them.