Downloaded video plays fast but with audio normal

Paul Colton

Jul 4, 2022, 2:38:01 PM7/4/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Some recent downloads, from a DASH source, plays the video very fast, all video within a few seconds, while the audio plays at normal speed (can be over an hour of audio).

No settings have changed at my end. I can't find any settings or conversions to fix this. Anyone else see this? Perhaps a new encoding mechanism that's not recognized?

Wild Willy

Jul 4, 2022, 2:48:15 PM7/4/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group

mjs

Jul 8, 2022, 2:27:06 AM7/8/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Paul, is the video public or behind a login & password. Another post in one of links Willy posted also mention a dash stream as well as it being
a subscription site. Maybe these are common factors of the issue. What does the video properties show ?

Jeremy K

Sep 11, 2022, 1:38:35 PM9/11/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I am running into the same issue now too. Play it VLC you just get a frozen image with audio, play it with Windows Media Player/Movies & TV/Photos apps and the video plays in fast forward while the audio works fine. Isn't this what VDH is meant to do, make it easy to download videos? These programming language-like solutions are not helpful to normies either.

Wild Willy

Sep 11, 2022, 7:28:38 PM9/11/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
If you want a solution, you need to step outside your "normie" box. I have given a
solution of sorts over here:

https://groups.google.com/g/video-downloadhelper-q-and-a/c/w9993gUmxr4

Too many downloads with VDH work fine for anybody to conclude that VDH is causing this
problem. My suspicion is that there is some sort of transient error on the connection
that puts some bad information into the output file. I hit the problem myself today. I
have not yet dealt with it, but I will use what I describe in the thread whose link I
just cited. I have skimmed through the file enough to discover that about the first 1
hour 45 minutes of the file is fine. Then suddenly the video speeds up but the audio
remains correct for the remaining 2 hours of the file. Of course, video being too fast,
it stops before the audio runs out.

So either you roll up your sleeves & learn something new or just throw the damaged video
away & move on to other things.

Jeremy K

Sep 11, 2022, 10:51:25 PM9/11/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I'm far from normie, I also have a life.

Paul Colton

Sep 12, 2022, 10:39:45 AM9/12/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I'm fairly confident it is not due to errors. This is happening consistently across all the video sources I've been using (video sources that I have used for a long time without issue). Nothing has changed on the content creator side, BUT they are all behind a password protected Vimeo feed. I suspect that something has changed with Vimeo in how they encode these videos, and VDH is just not processing them "correctly".

Paul

mjs

Sep 12, 2022, 7:34:04 PM9/12/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A

Jeremy K

Sep 15, 2022, 11:06:17 PM9/15/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Or VDH could help by figuring it out.

mjs

Sep 16, 2022, 12:18:04 AM9/16/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I don't work for VDH but how exactly do you think they will figure it out ? All you have done is post that you have a problem.
You have not provided a website nor a link to a video.

Wild Willy

Sep 16, 2022, 2:14:21 AM9/16/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
It is not at all clear that this is being caused by VDH. There are too many successful
downloads made by VDH by me, by you, by the many other users using this product,
including those who have not posted here. I have only ever seen it with livestreams from
Golf Channel. There's no predicting when it will happen. I record 15, 20, or more
rounds of golf from Golf Channel & they're perfect. Then one will crop up with this
problem. You guys are just sitting here saying you see this but you don't say what
videos you're seeing it on. It's not good enough to say, "Some recent downloads, from a
DASH source" or "I am running into the same issue." Give us URLs. Let us try to
replicate your problem. If it's private Vimeo content, you can't give us URLs but not
every problem is with private content. I can't figure out your problem from your
descriptions so there's no way Michel could either. You display an utter lack of grasp
of what it takes to diagnose software problems. Michel can't just press his forehead to
his monitor & absorb the answer from the web by ESP. You have to provide enough
information for Michel or one of us users to look at the content ourselves.

Besides that, I have pointed you repeatedly to a thread I opened over a year ago in which
I offer 2 possible solutions. One is rather complex & actually doesn't always work. It
involves ffmpeg & I've been having trouble making it work on some recent cases I've
encountered. The second possible workaround I've offered involves 2 concurrent VLC
windows. It will always work. There have also been several threads on here lately in
which both mjs & I have shown how you can mine the Network Monitor for your content.
When you open the video you manage to fish out of the Network Monitor in its own tab, it
is highly likely that you'll be able to download that with VDH. You could also not even
use VDH, instead popping up the context menu on the video & using the browser's "Save
Video As" menu selection. You have probably just decided to wait for Michel to magically
figure this out without making the slightest attempt to help yourselves. Do you want to
get your video content onto your system or do you just want to complain? VDH has never
claimed to handle all cases. When you hit a case on which VDH doesn't work, report it --
properly, which you have not done -- then improvise some alternative method to get it
done. If there are publicly available web pages where you're observing the problem, post
the URLs. Otherwise, sod off.