No site access setting in Firefox.

mjs

Oct 17, 2022, 6:41:19 AM10/17/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I just noticed that the Edge and Chrome extensions have a site access setting in their
extension pages. Firefox has no such setting.

Site access
Allow this extension to read and change all your data on websites you visit:

On click
On specific sites
On all sites

When set to -> on click the extension isn't running until you click the VDH icon.
The extension says:
Refresh the page to use this extension. Clicking the refresh button allows VDH to run
for that site you have open.

Some people have said they don't want the extension running in all tabs but per tab or only the current tab. There was one post where someone said they have hundreds of tabs open and only wanted it on the current tab but I can't find it. In those situations
setting it to on click is the way to go. Why hasn't Firefox got this setting ?

mjs

Oct 17, 2022, 7:04:38 AM10/17/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Well I thought someone said they had hundreds of tabs open on this forum but searching the forum finds no such conversations.

Wild Willy

Oct 17, 2022, 7:27:39 AM10/17/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
I'm going to guess that the Site Access control is something in those 2 browsers, not the
extension (any extension, not just VDH). Mozilla just hasn't implemented such a feature
in Firefox. But if both Chrome & Edge have such a thing, it wouldn't surprise me if some
day Firefox acquired such a feature.

And I remember that thread, too. Was it this one?

https://groups.google.com/g/video-downloadhelper-q-and-a/c/h_fOnsQDjFc

It wasn't hundreds of tabs but it was a large number.

mjs

Oct 17, 2022, 7:39:57 AM10/17/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Yes that's the one , they wanted only current tab. Well they can do that in Chrome and Edge versions for VDH. I don't think they mentioned the
browser they were using.

mjs

Oct 17, 2022, 7:58:58 AM10/17/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I mean that the actual extensions not the browsers have that setting:

Edge
site access edge.png

Chrome
site acces chrome.png

Wild Willy

Oct 17, 2022, 3:32:58 PM10/17/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
It could still be a facility offered by the browser. It might not be anything Michel has
coded in the extension. Only he could answer that.

jcv...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2022, 5:33:02 AM10/18/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
It's actually not in the dev's scope, it's a browser feature.
We have no control on this.
jerome