Detect only current tab

Ern Goint

Mar 24, 2022, 4:27:35 AM3/24/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Hi,

Is there a way to disable detection on other tabs? When I have a few youtube tabs open the plugin slows down from detecting all tabs.

I cannot find an option to detect streams just from the current tab.

mjs

Mar 25, 2022, 1:56:17 AM3/25/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
There isn't such an option, so if there is such a problem then you kind of answered it yourself by having only the current tab open and forget
about having other tabs open. Why do you need other tabs open ? Just do it one tab at a time. Most of the time I only have one tab open when
on youtube.
--
A vdh user

Ern Goint

Mar 25, 2022, 10:18:49 AM3/25/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I usually have many tabs open. So then extension scans other tabs and slows down overall performance.

Wild Willy

Mar 25, 2022, 12:19:31 PM3/25/22
to Video Download Helper Google Group
I think this is a worthy suggestion, deserving of consideration. But for now, you need
to deal with the software as it exists. Clearly, you need to change the way you do
things until a new VDH appears that includes the feature you're asking for, something
that possibly will never happen. You have to adapt. Stop opening many YouTube tabs.
Discipline yourself to having only one YouTube tab open at any given time. I think you
can get away with a few tabs open at the same time. Seems to me I've had 3 or 4 open & I
haven't had any problems. But if you have trouble when you've got 20 or 30 tabs open at
the same time, stop doing that. Open fewer. It may not be how you want to do things but
you are stuck for the time being. So change the way you do things.

Ern Goint

Mar 25, 2022, 12:37:57 PM3/25/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I would probably stop using the extension before I will change the way I browse. It is not the issue of me browsing. It is an issue of the extension scanning all open tabs when there should be an option to only scan current open tab. Its not just about Youtube. There are other sites with video and streams embedded. That is when the plugin slows down when the counter on the yellow circle does not fit in the circle. I will get a screenshot next time.

I have been using the extension like this for quite a while now. But decided to investigate and raise the issue. Maybe it will be added.

mjs

Mar 27, 2022, 12:52:05 AM3/27/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
It's up to the developer if they were to consider the option you want. It also may never happen so this what I would suggest for yourself,it is a routine you'll have to do everytime other tabs are open. Vdh let's you delete hits on what it detects on a page where there are videos.
Just go in the menu to find the button to delete these hits. One thing to note is that it will be tempory for live stream videos. It'll start detecting
those again. On live streams open them in private windows where vdh is not running. Vdh shouldn't be enabled on private windows.
That's all you can do for now.

cbds

Aug 5, 2022, 7:25:52 AM8/5/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
The fact that the extension can currently distinguish between current tab hits and other tabs hits implies that it shouldn't be that difficult to restrict detection the same way. I personally see the performance of the extension effected even with only a few tabs open. Suggesting that people change the way they browse to cater to the extensions shortcomings is counterintuitive and against the point of groups such as this.

I would love to see this enhancement added...

Jaymo

Aug 6, 2022, 2:46:42 AM8/6/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I often have things I want to watch, rather than keep those tabs open (often need to reboot or close browser and each tab uses system resources) I drop the url's I want to go back to into a notepad document which has an entry in the startup folder so it's always there upon boot, I save it every time I make a change, helps when you shut down and it's not saved and the system cancels the shut down as there is have unsaved documents.

Jaymo

Aug 6, 2022, 3:04:31 AM8/6/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A

Another thing I drop into this document is the name of any episodes, especially when downloading more than 1 at a time, often the downloaded files have a similar file name which does not distinguish episodes but a standard name for each .... sometimes a number at the end to distinguish them and order them in download succession, proper renaming of the file using the episode name from the site makes it easy to ID each download by the numbering of the file given by VDH and placing the names of the episodes in order in the document, one site needs the page to be refreshed before it updates the episode name after clicking on the link for the next episode, but worth it for the time and hassle it saves.

mjs

Oct 19, 2022, 6:49:59 AM10/19/22
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
I recently learned that if you use VDH in Edge or Chrome then you can enable a setting to run on click. Then you click the VDH icon on the current
tab that you want it to run on. It'll say reload page to use this extension. Click the blue reload button . VDH will be enabled only for that tab,
in other tabs it will still be disabled until of course you enable it for those for tabs.

Go into chrome://extensions  or Edge://extensions then click details for VDH. Look for :

Site access
Allow this extension to read and change all your data on websites you visit:  On click

Firefox does not have this capability yet.