Stealth quoting

Wild Willy

Nov 5, 2021, 3:01:53 AM11/5/21
to Video Download Helper Google Group

When Google foisted this new interface on us a year ago or whenever it was, they did
something to the reply function that I say surreptitiously draws people into a practice
that is counter to good netiquette. Judging from the posts in this forum, hardly anybody
knows about this. I hope to correct that with this discussion. Open each attached image
in succession to read what I'm talking about.

I quote a URL in one of the attached images. But you can't click on a URL in an image.
So here's that link where you can click it:

https://groups.google.com/g/video-downloadhelper-q-and-a/c/94hxIXg_9bY
#1.png
#2.png
#3.png
#4.png
#5.png
#6.png
#7.png
#8.png
#9.png

Wild Willy

Dec 6, 2021, 10:44:52 AM12/6/21
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
Google imposes a limit of 8M on the size of any individual post.  If you allow Google to do its stealth quoting, your post will be larger than what you think it is by the size of what you are quoting.  It's possible that you might stealth quote so much useless content from higher up in the thread that your post is actually well over the 8M limit when you want to post only a few lines.  So be very aware of this stealth quoting and discipline yourself to ALWAYS remove the quoted material.  Keep it in mind, do it regularly, let it become an automatic habit.  That's simple good netiquette.  Don't let Google make you seem rude.  And I repeat something I said in one of my images above.  If you use E-mail to post to the group, you'll avoid this stealth quoting entirely.

Wild Willy

Jul 4, 2022, 3:37:21 PMJul 4
to Video DownloadHelper Q&A
When you allow Google to do its stealth quoting, any images in the previous post will be included in the stealth quote.  This will quickly contribute to a post reaching the 8M limit.  So it is especially important to delete a stealth quote that includes images.