MIPS32 Is No Longer Maintained

Liu Yu

May 24, 2022, 5:07:32 AM5/24/22
to v8-dev
Hi,
Due to the lack of physical machines, we plan to give up maintaining the mips32 platform of v8.
If anyone still needs mips32, welcome to maintain it continue.
Otherwise we will apply to remove it from CI.

Michael Achenbach

May 27, 2022, 3:00:03 AM5/27/22
to v8-...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Removing the builders is a trivial task on our end (currently they are still green). Will the port be removed from V8 code as well if it becomes unmaintained?

Cheers
Michael

Michael Achenbach | Software Engineer, V8 | Google Germany GmbH | Erika-Mann-Str. 33, 80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891 | Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg | Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado

Liu Yu

May 30, 2022, 5:01:43 AM5/30/22
to v8-dev
Hi,

It's up to the v8 team. Do you think the code of mips32 should be removed?
And would you like us to remove the code or do it yourself?

Jakob Kummerow

May 30, 2022, 10:44:16 AM5/30/22
to v8-dev
When the port is unmaintained, it will probably break quickly. For example, the builder is red right now, because new Wasm instructions were added earlier today that would need to be ported.
There's no point in keeping broken code around, so an unmaintained port should be deleted. If anyone later wants to resurrect it for any reason, they can always go back in the git history to find it.

Deleting the code is not urgent, especially as long as it's still being tested and still works. Even when the builders are removed, we can still give it a grace period (something like 1-3 months, maybe?) and delete it if no other maintainers step up during this time. If you could submit a CL to delete it, that'd be great.

Please keep sending announcements to this list when the official status changes, e.g. when "we plan to give up maintaining the mips32 platform" turns into "we have now stopped maintaining mips32, and the code will be deleted in 2 months if nobody steps up to maintain it".

Liu Yu

Jun 2, 2022, 3:04:44 AM6/2/22
to v8-dev
Hi,

We have stopped maintaining mips32 now; the builder is red and we won't fix it;
If there are no other maintainers , the code of mips32 will be deleted in August.