MSVC will be unsupported after V8 version 13.0

Hannes Payer

Jun 17, 2024, 3:58:17 AM (13 days ago) Jun 17
to v8-...@googlegroups.com, v8-users
Hi all,

V8 will follow Chromium's lead and will discontinue support for MSVC. To give projects time to adjust, we will stop support after V8 version 13.0 in September 2024. After that, we will remove the infrastructure bots and MSVC compatibility hacks in the code base.

Cheers,
Hannes

Ben Ernst

Jun 17, 2024, 3:27:04 PM (12 days ago) Jun 17
to v8-...@googlegroups.com, v8-users
Ouch! We do use V8 on a live project compiled with MSVC. Thought it was worth throwing a comment out there, although I'm sure this isn't a decision that was taken lightly.
Cheers,
Ben

Hannes Payer

Jun 18, 2024, 2:16:36 AM (12 days ago) Jun 18
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com, v8-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We acknowledge that this is a change for everybody who is using MSVC. However there is a solution which hopefully works for many projects: clang-cl produces ABI-compatible output to MSVC. You can build v8 with clang-cl and link it to the code which is built with MSVC. The MSVC installer includes clang-cl as an install option.

Cheers,
Hannes

Hannes Payer | V8 | Google Germany GmbH | Erika-Mann Str. 33, 80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Liana Sebastian

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Falls Sie diese fälschlicherweise erhalten haben sollten, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht an jemand anderes weiter, löschen Sie alle Kopien und Anhänge davon und lassen Sie mich bitte wissen, dass die E-Mail an die falsche Person gesendet wurde.

This e-mail is confidential. If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it has gone to the wrong person.

Hannes Payer

Jun 18, 2024, 12:17:03 PM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com, v8-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jean-Claude,

The preferred way would be to link both standard libraries. In your case, libc++ could be private to V8 and Microsoft standard library could be used for the rest.

Cheers,
Hannes

On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 9:41 AM Jean-Claude Monnin <jc_m...@emailplus.org> wrote:
Hi Hannes,

Just a clarification: Does that mean only MSVC the compiler isn't supported anymore, but the Microsoft C++ Standard Library still works [1]? As you said, clang-cl is ABI compatible with MSVC, so I don't care which compiler is used to compiled v8, as long as I can link v8 with other code.

It's not always possible to use libc++ on Windows. In my case it's the precompiled Qt (possibly Qt works with libc++ on Windows, but I think it's unsupported). Mixing two huge libraries which require different C++ standard libraries wouldn't be fun. Additionally, I use closed source SDK's which mandate the Microsoft C++ standard library. I probably can't convince you if you want to support only libc++ on Windows, but I hope the Microsoft standard library is still supported so that v8 can be used in a standard Windows executable (fingers crossed).

Cheers,
Jean-Claude