Google Groepen ondersteunt geen nieuwe Usenet-berichten of -abonnementen meer. Historische content blijft zichtbaar.

Youngest Has-Been's

47 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Dean Jarratt

ongelezen,
23 dec 2003, 10:55:3123-12-2003
aan
Just looking at the way Anderson's career is developing leads me to believe
that he could well be a has-been already.

This puts him on my list Has-Been's. Most likely he is the youngest has-been
ever.

max.it

ongelezen,
23 dec 2003, 14:08:5723-12-2003
aan
"Dean Jarratt" <mar...@eidosnet.spamless.co.uk>

Schofield ?

max.it

John Hall

ongelezen,
23 dec 2003, 14:59:0223-12-2003
aan
In article <3fe865b7$0$25958$fa0f...@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>,

Dean Jarratt <mar...@eidosnet.spamless.co.uk> writes:
>Just looking at the way Anderson's career is developing leads me to believe
>that he could well be a has-been already.

I think it's way premature to write him off.

>This puts him on my list Has-Been's. Most likely he is the youngest has-been
>ever.

How about Brian Close, who at Test level never really fulfilled the
promise that he showed when selected against NZ in 1949 when (IIRC) he
was still a teenager?
--
John Hall

"I am not young enough to know everything."
Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Chris Henderson

ongelezen,
23 dec 2003, 19:39:4323-12-2003
aan
max.it wrote:
> Schofield ?

Surely a Never-Was?

Dean Jarratt

ongelezen,
24 dec 2003, 04:55:5624-12-2003
aan

"Chris Henderson" <c.m.c.h...@durham.ac.uk> wrote in message

> max.it wrote:
> > Schofield ?
>
> Surely a Never-Was?

Yep a 'never-has-been' in my book.

Dean Jarratt

ongelezen,
24 dec 2003, 04:57:2424-12-2003
aan

"John Hall" <nospam...@jhall.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <3fe865b7$0$25958$fa0f...@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>,
> Dean Jarratt <mar...@eidosnet.spamless.co.uk> writes:
> >Just looking at the way Anderson's career is developing leads me to
believe
> >that he could well be a has-been already.
>
> I think it's way premature to write him off.

He will need to bring back his old form...he's got time on his side.

> >This puts him on my list Has-Been's. Most likely he is the youngest
has-been
> >ever.
> >
> How about Brian Close, who at Test level never really fulfilled the
> promise that he showed when selected against NZ in 1949 when (IIRC) he
> was still a teenager?

In that case, it would make Close the Youngest and the Oldest has-been.

Hawkeye

ongelezen,
25 dec 2003, 21:24:3525-12-2003
aan

"John Hall" <nospam...@jhall.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <3fe865b7$0$25958$fa0f...@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>,
> Dean Jarratt <mar...@eidosnet.spamless.co.uk> writes:
> >Just looking at the way Anderson's career is developing leads me to
believe
> >that he could well be a has-been already.
>
> I think it's way premature to write him off.
> >
> >This puts him on my list Has-Been's. Most likely he is the youngest
has-been
> >ever.
> >
> How about Brian Close, who at Test level never really fulfilled the
> promise that he showed when selected against NZ in 1949 when (IIRC) he
> was still a teenager?

wow! Thanks John. I had thought very highly of Close. After seeing your
post,
went to Cricinfo, and lo and behold Close's statistics are quite
awful. 22 matches, 887 runs, avg around 25 and no centuries

Is his legacy garnished by the 1976 display against WI ?

John Hall

ongelezen,
26 dec 2003, 04:06:1026-12-2003
aan
In article <DZMGb.137665$8y1.418102@attbi_s52>,

Hawkeye <m...@my-deja.nospamcom> writes:

>"John Hall" <nospam...@jhall.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >
>> How about Brian Close, who at Test level never really fulfilled the
>> promise that he showed when selected against NZ in 1949 when (IIRC) he
>> was still a teenager?
>
>wow! Thanks John. I had thought very highly of Close. After seeing your
>post,
>went to Cricinfo, and lo and behold Close's statistics are quite
>awful. 22 matches, 887 runs, avg around 25 and no centuries
>
>Is his legacy garnished by the 1976 display against WI ?

Probably, and also by that epic 70 he made in the Lord's Test in 1963
against Hall and Griffith. You could never doubt his courage.

Of course, at county level he had great success over a very long period.
--
John Hall
"If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts;

Rob

ongelezen,
26 dec 2003, 07:31:5526-12-2003
aan

"Dean Jarratt" <mar...@eidosnet.spamless.co.uk> wrote in message
I'm inclined to agree. He's not been around 12 months yet but looked jaded
in the Summer and he's been injured twice in that time. Two
possibilities - either he's not being handled properly or he needs to bloody
well sort himself out fitness wise. A little more time in the gym and less
in the hairdressers might be a good idea.

Rob

ongelezen,
27 dec 2003, 05:21:4227-12-2003
aan

"Dean Jarratt" <mar...@eidosnet.spamless.co.uk> wrote in message
What about Collingwood?

Mad Hamish

ongelezen,
7 jan 2004, 07:12:3407-01-2004
aan
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:59:02 +0000, John Hall
<nospam...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <3fe865b7$0$25958$fa0f...@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>,
> Dean Jarratt <mar...@eidosnet.spamless.co.uk> writes:
>>Just looking at the way Anderson's career is developing leads me to believe
>>that he could well be a has-been already.
>
>I think it's way premature to write him off.
>>
>>This puts him on my list Has-Been's. Most likely he is the youngest has-been
>>ever.
>>
>How about Brian Close, who at Test level never really fulfilled the
>promise that he showed when selected against NZ in 1949 when (IIRC) he
>was still a teenager?

Ian Craig?
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws
h_l...@aardvark.net.au

Mad Hamish

ongelezen,
13 feb 2024, 22:39:5313 feb
aan
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:55:31 -0000, "Dean Jarratt"
<mar...@eidosnet.spamless.co.uk> wrote:

I've just been looking through old posts (having moved back to using
Agent rather than google)
New contender for worst ever call in cricket?

jack fredricks

ongelezen,
14 feb 2024, 00:35:5614 feb
aan
On Wednesday, February 14, 2024 at 1:39:53 PM UTC+10, Mad Hamish wrote:
> New contender for worst ever call in cricket?

Just as bad as some of Bucknor's decisions during the "waaaaa, Sydney" Test. So.. yes.

John Hall

ongelezen,
14 feb 2024, 05:08:4614 feb
aan
In message <obdosillpj4aj0dl0...@4ax.com>, Mad Hamish
<newsunsp...@iinet.unspamme.net.au> writes
LOL!
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

dnorth

ongelezen,
14 feb 2024, 08:35:2014 feb
aan
Rob's "What about Collingwood?" in the same thread was also fairly wide of the mark. He played his last international match nearly 14 years later.

https://groups.google.com/g/uk.sport.cricket/c/iy1rOlfleZA/m/Leve4HZGAgAJ

max.it

ongelezen,
14 feb 2024, 09:57:5314 feb
aan
On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:33:55 +0000, use...@lanefarm.plus.com (dnorth)
wrote:
Collingwood must be close to being the longest has been. I never rated
him as a top international player. Decent but easier to replace than a
true top class player. David Willey gives me the same feeling.

max.it

Mad Hamish

ongelezen,
15 feb 2024, 20:22:4315 feb
aan
I'd say you're being a bit harsh on collingwood or flattering to
Willey here.
I'd agree that Collingwood was never a top drawer international player
but his record is reasonable for the period.
Willey, with an average of 26.9 is well below an acceptable record for
the period (admittedly almost all of his tests came against Aus and
the Windies who were probably the strongest attacks during his career
but 1 50 and only 2 other innings over 20 from 9 tests vs Aus tells
its own story)

jack fredricks

ongelezen,
15 feb 2024, 20:28:1115 feb
aan
On Friday, February 16, 2024 at 11:22:43 AM UTC+10, Mad Hamish wrote:
> I'd say you're being a bit harsh on collingwood or flattering to
> Willey here.

I do wonder if "had been" / "never was" is in context of global cricket, or just a player's peers w.r.t country selection eg other England players.

Collingwood might not have been a global super star, but he absolutely deserved his spot on THAT England team.
0 nieuwe berichten