1000 Gamerscore: How Many?

Craig Coope

Feb 10, 2011, 7:11:12 PM2/10/11
Having read Gus' post about Borderlands it got me thinking on
achievements and how many games you have 1000G'd.

Normally if I complete a game (ie main storyline) I'll end up with
about 300-400G but even that is rare as a rarely complete games.

Some achievements I feel are ridiculous and would take an unrealistic
amount of time (or are just plain impossible). Is there not one for
killing 10,000 zombies on L4D?

Personally I'm about to get 1000G on Oblivion (only 3 more quests to
go) and that will be the first time I've ever done it. No other game
has held my interest enough....and yes I'm aware that some games have
more than 1000G esp with expansions etc.

So are there a lot of whores out there?

How many games have you gained all achievements for and do you recall
any "ridiculous" ones you have proudly earned?

--
The Zero ST

buckskin

Feb 10, 2011, 9:14:29 PM2/10/11

"Craig Coope" <coop...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Killing 53,595 (not 10,000) zombies was easy. I think it took around 2
months. For a game that encourages repeated play I ended up chipping at
that total without even thinking about it.
I've completed CoD2, Marble Madness and Trials. But the latter two added
extra DLC achievements which I haven't got.

Beyond that can't say I'm ever that bothered about being a completist.
Toughest achievement was Ultimate Endurance in Trials. Had to complete a
set of courses flawlessly. The original achievement had Extreme courses and
was judged too hard (I think less than a hundred people got it) and only a
retweak could mere mortals complete it.

I really do hate the achievements where you have collect x number of
whatever. I don't think that encourages a healthy way of playing games at
all.

Toby Newman

Feb 11, 2011, 1:43:08 AM2/11/11

I have no idea if I've 1k'd a game because I never look at those damn
things!

--
-Toby

Liz Huckle

Feb 11, 2011, 2:49:38 AM2/11/11

> I really do hate the achievements where you have collect x number of
> whatever. I don't think that encourages a healthy way of playing games at
> all.

Does it not depend on personal satisfaction though? You may find
collecting x amounts of things boring where someone else may *love* that
or have a sense of purpose for it. In the same way that another gamer
finds completing the game on legendary or flawless or whatever it might
be tedious...

I don't know, I don't pay that much attention to an achievement until I
get it. :-)

brian.hopkinson

Feb 11, 2011, 3:34:05 AM2/11/11

"Craig Coope" <coop...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

17 according to true achievements

mostly race games though i think

bri

Man of Kent

Feb 11, 2011, 3:35:19 AM2/11/11

These are my 100% retail and arcade games - I'll own up and say there
are some titles i am not entirely proud of but I am a bit of an OCD
freak when it come to collecting things! The only time I was put off
was the orbs in Crackdown.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 09
Forza Motorsport 3
Fable II
Madden NFL 10
2006 FIFA World Cup
FIFA Street 3
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Assassin's Creed
LEGO Indiana Jones: Original Adventures
NHL 07 26 of 26
LEGO Batman
Ashes Cricket
International Cricket 2010
Madden NFL 09
Fuzion Frenzy 2
LEGO Indiana Jones 2
Madden NFL 08
Eragon
Cars 15 of 15
NHL 2K6
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe
Open Season
Madden NFL 06
FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
Lost: Via Domus
King Kong
Fight Night Round 3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
CSI: Hard Evidence
NBA 2K6 5 of 5
Avatar: The Burning Earth
Outpost Kaloki
Carcassonne
Golf: Tee It Up!
UNO Rush
Fable II Pub Games
The Secret of Monkey Island: SE
3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures
UNO 12 of 12 100%
3 on 3 NHL Arcade
Battlefield 1943
Wallace & Gromit 1: Fright of the Bees
Harm's Way
Dash of Destruction

deKay

Feb 11, 2011, 3:55:07 AM2/11/11
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, buckskin wrote:

> I really do hate the achievements where you have collect x number of
> whatever. I don't think that encourages a healthy way of playing games at
> all.

From what I recall, I've 1000/1000 (or however many):

Viva Pinata
TMNT
Fallout 3
Lego Indiana Jones
Lego Indiana Jones 2
Lego Batman
Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection

I'm up to 900 or more on another 6 or so, and also have a few 200/200
Arcade games.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

deKay

Feb 11, 2011, 3:56:29 AM2/11/11
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Liz Huckle wrote:

>> I really do hate the achievements where you have collect x number of
>> whatever. I don't think that encourages a healthy way of playing games at
>> all.
>
> Does it not depend on personal satisfaction though? You may find collecting x
> amounts of things boring where someone else may *love* that or have a sense
> of purpose for it.

I love the OCD Collectyness of the Lego games. I realise to other people
this is probably dull as anything, but to me - bliss.

[ste parker]

Feb 11, 2011, 4:18:46 AM2/11/11
On Feb 11, 2:14 am, "buckskin" <bucks...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> Killing 53,595 (not 10,000) zombies was easy.  I think it took around 2
> months.  For a game that encourages repeated play I ended up chipping at
> that total without even thinking about it.

You had to kill that many in a single playthrough though, it didn't
take overall kills in multiple playthroughs into account.

--
[ste]

[ste parker]

Feb 11, 2011, 4:25:52 AM2/11/11
On Feb 11, 7:49 am, Liz Huckle <l...@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

It works better in some games than others too, I quite enjoyed getting
all the feathers in Assassin's Creed 2 for my first and only 1000
because you could sort of tell which area you needed to look in and
they weren't ridiculously hidden. Whereas the last agility orb in
Crackdown eventually ended up tarnishing my view of the game a bit, if
only because there I had no idea where it may be on the entire sodding
map.

ugvm seems to be getting a bit of a poster resurrection of late!

--
[ste]

Hakk

Feb 11, 2011, 4:36:34 AM2/11/11

Only one retail game for me, Oblivion. And then they added the extra
250, of which I got all but one of the achievements. I missed the last
one due to a either/or choice and didn't have a fall back save to do both.

Came close in AC:II, but sold the game when I could still get a decent
resale value.

Arcade, I think I've 200/200 on Pacman DX (or is it EX?), Galaga, Track
n Field.

Hakk

hurricanepilot

Feb 11, 2011, 4:39:35 AM2/11/11

I thought that initially, but is it possible it's not Dead Rising
we're talking about here? I think a few games have had a nod to Dead
Rising's "Zombie Genocider" achievement now. Maybe L4D?

The one in Dead Rising does indeed need to be done in a single
playthrough and the bonus for doing so is pretty awesome (A megaman
blaster that doesn't just fire foam balls). Shame Dead Rising 2 didn't
have whatever it was that made me play the first game so many times.

I've got a few older games with 1000 gamerscore, though few f those
deserve the time taken. Achievements long ago became very much about
themselves, not the game they were attached to. I still check what a
trophy or achievement was for when I get one, but I can't recall the
last time I played a game with them in mind.

Prize for worst achievement use ever goes to Fable 2. Spent ages
becoming a master blacksmith in order to...win a 5G achievement saying
I'd done so. I'm a badge-carrying master blacksmith and I still have
to buy my swords like everyone else.

Gunther Gloop

Feb 11, 2011, 4:41:14 AM2/11/11
I've never 1000ed any game. Checking online the closest I've come is
Battlefield Bad Company 2, from which I garnered 775 points.

I would have thought my 200+hr online enjoyment amounted to a whole lot
more than someone else's idea of achievement, but I guess I would be
wrong in that.

Other games I got 700+ include Burnout Paradise, Assassin's Creed 2
(surprisingly -don't remember doing much more than the story), Scene It
LCA, ...er, and that's it it seems. :/

I _did_ get maximum points on one game... Pac-Man CE (the 'original'
CE). 200/ 200!
It was good practice for Pac-Man CE DX, which I play on PS3 and for
which I've discovered Captain Cluke has yet again beaten most of my
scores. Curse you Captain Cluke/Sozzlyjoe! 2+mil on all/most of them
now! ..The trouble with "being top" is one tends to ease-off on playing
it, then by the time someone beats the scores you're out of practice.
I'll use this to my advantage in the coming weeks.. er, months
probably... er, _years_ maybe by the time I beat one of those!

-Kevin.

James Sutherland

Feb 11, 2011, 4:56:10 AM2/11/11
On Feb 11, 12:11 am, Craig Coope <coope1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Having read Gus' post about Borderlands it got me thinking on
> achievements and how many games you have 1000G'd.

I've got over 1000 on Mass Effect 2, but that's only because of the
DLC. I don't have the basic 1000.

Other than that, it looks like the closest I've got are in Samurai
Warriors 2 Empires and Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires at 800 and 770
points.

On PS3 I have 100% of the trophies in Linger in Shadows, but that's
that only one.

Chris Stevens

Feb 11, 2011, 5:01:31 AM2/11/11
Craig Coope wrote:
> Having read Gus' post about Borderlands it got me thinking on
> achievements and how many games you have 1000G'd.
>
> So are there a lot of whores out there?
>
> How many games have you gained all achievements for and do you recall
> any "ridiculous" ones you have proudly earned?

There was a time when I actively pursued achievements, and went out of my
way to play (mostly on rentals, I should add in my defence) all of the games
that gave away 1000 points cheaply. Things like King Kong, Fight Night 3,
FIFA:RTWC, Madden games, TMNT. Some of those were pretty grim, and I wonder
now what I was thinking. It was some kind of strange meta-game thing, where
there were a handful of people competing to keep the highest gamerscore.
For the first 4 years of the 360's life, I probably averaged about 20,000
gamerscore per year. That was gradually becoming less about playing stupid
games, and more about just playing *lots* of games. I then spent the first 6
months of 2010 playing Modern Warfare 2 online to the exclusion of almost
everything else, and that finally broke any lingering sense of caring about
the bloody silly number.

There are a few that aren't entirely without merit, though. Like deKay, I'm
reasonably happy to have got 1K in the Lego games, and I try to 'complete'
the Tiger Woods games to the fullest extent that I can. Amped 3 was a labour
of love, also.

I can't remember who it was, but I very much agree with whoever said in here
in the past: 'Achievements in games are great. An overall gamerscore is
rubbish'.

--

Chris

GT: SomethingWitty

hurricanepilot

Feb 11, 2011, 5:10:02 AM2/11/11
On Feb 11, 9:41 am, Gunther Gloop <thunderb...@SPAMNOkevinforde.com>
wrote:

> I've never 1000ed any game. Checking online the closest I've come is
> Battlefield Bad Company 2, from which I garnered 775 points.
>
> I would have thought my 200+hr online enjoyment amounted to a whole lot
> more than someone else's idea of achievement, but I guess I would be
> wrong in that.

Just different ways of seeing. For some people, seeing that final
achievement pop up or that platinum trophy unlock is reward enough for
what you and I might class as tedium.

My wife occasionally catches me swearing at a game and calling it out
for all the cheap tricks it's pulling, preventing me achieving
whatever goal it is I've set myself. She asks why I'm still playing a
game I'm clearly not enjoying and apparently actively hating. I've
never been able to answer.

I need a reason other than the pling of achievements unlocking to
persevere with properly frustrating games, but I get that for some
people (with a lot of time on their hands) they're reason enough.

> I _did_ get maximum points on one game... Pac-Man CE (the 'original'
> CE). 200/ 200!
> It was good practice for Pac-Man CE DX, which I play on PS3 and for
> which I've discovered Captain Cluke has yet again beaten most of my
> scores. Curse you Captain Cluke/Sozzlyjoe! 2+mil on all/most of them
> now! ..The trouble with "being top" is one tends to ease-off on playing
> it, then by the time someone beats the scores you're out of practice.
> I'll use this to my advantage in the coming weeks.. er, months
> probably... er, _years_ maybe by the time I beat one of those!

I do the same, sort of. If I nail a high score, my mojo takes a walk
for some reason. I may have gotten to planet 55 on one life, but as
soon as that high score ticks over I'll lose the remaining 15 withing
a minute whether I want to or not. I'm guessing it's because my brain
has changed chemicals on me.

FooAtari

Feb 11, 2011, 5:11:20 AM2/11/11
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 00:11:12 +0000, Craig Coope wrote:

> So are there a lot of whores out there?

I've never really seen the point of achievements personally. I'll play
the game how I want to play it, not how some developer thinks I should
play it.

I have got maximum points in two or three games, but that was through
simply playing the game, not making an effort to actually get the
achievements.

Also the inconsistency of how easy it is to get achievements in different
games made it all a bit pointless. What was the point in having a gamer
score to demonstrate your uber awesome gamer skillz, when they are some
games out there that you gain 1000 points from in a few hours.

It's all bollocks I tell you. I've had a 360 since a few months after
launch and not even amassed 10,000 points which should show how much I
care about them, and actually how few games I've actually wanted to play
for more than a couple of hours.

--
Organ and Blood Donation saves lives. Register Now
www.uktransplant.org www.scotblood.co.uk

deKay

Feb 11, 2011, 5:27:37 AM2/11/11
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Chris Stevens wrote:

> I can't remember who it was, but I very much agree with whoever said in here
> in the past: 'Achievements in games are great. An overall gamerscore is
> rubbish'.

That was me. I don't think I was the only one who said it though.
Certainly not Zo ;)

jochta

Feb 11, 2011, 5:35:40 AM2/11/11
On 11/02/2011 00:11, Craig Coope wrote:

True Achievements (www.trueachievements.com) says that I have 100% these
games (not including DLC). Ordered from hardest first so ones near the
bottom can be called the whoreiest maybe....

Full Games
----------
Midnight Club Los Angelese
Burnout Paradise
Crackdown
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09
Monster Jam
LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
Test Drive Unlimited
Just Cause
Crash Time
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
DiRT
Call of Duty 2
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Sega Mega Drive Collection
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Meet the Robinsons

Lost: Via Domus
King Kong

Cars: Mater-National

Fight Night Round 3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
CSI: Hard Evidence

Total == 22

XBLA Games
----------
Trials HD
Bankshot Billiards 2
Pac-Man: Championship Edition
Word Puzzle
Jewel Quest
UNO
KrissX
Sealife Safari
Cloning Clyde
New Rally-X
Harm's Way
Galaga
Dash of Destruction

Total == 13

Grand Total == 35

Call of Duty 2 was probably the hardest physically to complete. Most of
the others appear higher in the list because they either have difficult
to get MP achievements or require a lot of patience (e.g. Just Cause).
Midnight Club required the most skill and is the best 1000G I've got.

Best set of achievements goes to Crackdown which were all excellent fun.

The final achievement in Pirates of the Caribbean was a real pain and
totally whored to death. A few near the bottom (e.g. King Kong, CSI) are
1000G gimmies just by completing the game.

Most of the XBLA games near the bottom of the list are 200G gimmies.

I have 6 games with only 1 achievement left to get. I would love to get
the last few in FlatOut but they require 4 co-operative players to get
which is nigh on impossible now.

--
John Talbot
XBL, PSN, Twitter, Everything : jochta

Chris Whitworth

Feb 11, 2011, 5:38:11 AM2/11/11
On 2011-02-11, Craig Coope <coop...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> So are there a lot of whores out there?
>
> How many games have you gained all achievements for and do you recall
> any "ridiculous" ones you have proudly earned?

I've never 100%ed any game, ever.

Chris

jochta

Feb 11, 2011, 5:44:14 AM2/11/11
On 11/02/2011 10:27, deKay wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Chris Stevens wrote:
>
>> I can't remember who it was, but I very much agree with whoever said
>> in here
>> in the past: 'Achievements in games are great. An overall gamerscore is
>> rubbish'.
>
> That was me. I don't think I was the only one who said it though.
> Certainly not Zo ;)
>
> deKay

I would agree with that. I don't pay attention to the total number. It's
meaningless. But achievements in games are generally good, gets me to
explore the game beyond just completing it to the credits if the
achievements are well thought out. I get more value.

Some games get it totally wrong (e.g. GHIII) some games get it totally
right (e.g. Crackdown). Most are somewhere in the middle.

I don't usually look at the achievements before starting a game now,
I'll play it as I want and then take a look afterwards to see what else
I can do. Can be annoying when the developer has put something in that
can only be done during a normal play through and I missed it.

[ste parker]

Feb 11, 2011, 5:49:21 AM2/11/11
On Feb 11, 9:39 am, hurricanepilot <hurricanepi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 9:18 am, "[ste parker]" <imagi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 11, 2:14 am, "buckskin" <bucks...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
> > > Killing 53,595 (not 10,000) zombies was easy.  I think it took around 2
> > > months.  For a game that encourages repeated play I ended up chipping at
> > > that total without even thinking about it.
>
> > You had to kill that many in a single playthrough though, it didn't
> > take overall kills in multiple playthroughs into account.
>
> I thought that initially, but is it possible it's not Dead Rising
> we're talking about here? I think a few games have had a nod to Dead
> Rising's "Zombie Genocider" achievement now. Maybe L4D?

You're right, I was assuming Zombie Genocider but that's a mere 53,594
kills isn't it so he must be on about L4D. Boy, do I feel foolish!

--
[ste]

SozzlyJoe

Feb 11, 2011, 5:50:43 AM2/11/11
wrote:

> I _did_ get maximum points on one game... Pac-Man CE (the 'original'
> CE). 200/ 200!
> It was good practice for Pac-Man CE DX, which I play on PS3 and for
> which I've discovered Captain Cluke has yet again beaten most of my
> scores. Curse you Captain Cluke/Sozzlyjoe! 2+mil on all/most of them
> now! ..The trouble with "being top" is one tends to ease-off on playing
> it, then by the time someone beats the scores you're out of practice.
> I'll use this to my advantage in the coming weeks.. er, months
> probably... er, _years_ maybe by the time I beat one of those!

Well, no rush, I think I might have to go into pac-man rehab for a
while so you have plenty of time ;-)

[ste parker]

Feb 11, 2011, 5:54:42 AM2/11/11
On Feb 11, 10:01 am, "Chris Stevens" <n...@thestevensfamily.plus.com>
wrote:

> I can't remember who it was, but I very much agree with whoever said in here
> in the past: 'Achievements in games are great. An overall gamerscore is
> rubbish'.

The gamerscore seemed fairly exciting as it was climbing up, not to
the point where I'd force myself through shit just to get more points
but still a bit of a driver to play a game more. Since getting over
20000 it's become a bit more abstract to the point where I'm playing
games less as a result, I've barely played a 360 game outside of
Kinect since late last year.

--
[ste]

Gunther Gloop

Feb 11, 2011, 6:11:22 AM2/11/11
On 11/02/11 10:10, hurricanepilot wrote:
> On Feb 11, 9:41 am, Gunther Gloop<thunderb...@SPAMNOkevinforde.com>
> wrote:
>> I've never 1000ed any game. Checking online the closest I've come is
>> Battlefield Bad Company 2, from which I garnered 775 points.
>>
>> I would have thought my 200+hr online enjoyment amounted to a whole lot
>> more than someone else's idea of achievement, but I guess I would be
>> wrong in that.
>
> Just different ways of seeing. For some people, seeing that final
> achievement pop up or that platinum trophy unlock is reward enough for
> what you and I might class as tedium.
>
> My wife occasionally catches me swearing at a game and calling it out
> for all the cheap tricks it's pulling, preventing me achieving
> whatever goal it is I've set myself. She asks why I'm still playing a
> game I'm clearly not enjoying and apparently actively hating. I've
> never been able to answer.
>
> I need a reason other than the pling of achievements unlocking to
> persevere with properly frustrating games, but I get that for some
> people (with a lot of time on their hands) they're reason enough.

Hatred is the emotion closest to love. Both are a passion. Videogames
are for passionate people (you tell her).

>> I _did_ get maximum points on one game... Pac-Man CE (the 'original'
>> CE). 200/ 200!
>> It was good practice for Pac-Man CE DX, which I play on PS3 and for
>> which I've discovered Captain Cluke has yet again beaten most of my
>> scores. Curse you Captain Cluke/Sozzlyjoe! 2+mil on all/most of them
>> now! ..The trouble with "being top" is one tends to ease-off on playing
>> it, then by the time someone beats the scores you're out of practice.
>> I'll use this to my advantage in the coming weeks.. er, months
>> probably... er, _years_ maybe by the time I beat one of those!
>
> I do the same, sort of. If I nail a high score, my mojo takes a walk
> for some reason. I may have gotten to planet 55 on one life, but as
> soon as that high score ticks over I'll lose the remaining 15 withing
> a minute whether I want to or not. I'm guessing it's because my brain
> has changed chemicals on me.

Yup I know that one too.

Another hi-score inevitability I've noticed through the years is I am
virtually *guaranteed* to be unbeatable and better than ever before when
it is least wanted -eg. when I'm late to be somewhere else/ when Mrs.
Gloop is glaring over me, fuming from the ears.... "but but this is my
best score EVAR!... I can't..."

Of course pausing never works. Try that and you die as soon as you return.

...I checked the remaining Achievements I have with BFBC2. Most of them
I'm not even going to attempt -they're awful- but these two will be a
bit o'fun:

1. Online: in a round, get one kill with the knife, M60 and RPG-7.
Nothing difficult there I should think. Easy enough once I equip them.

2. Online: do a headshot kill with the repair tool.
This will gain me legendary notoriety in my own mind. I will laugh
heartily if I pull it off. Oh yes I will!
...I tried it once on an enemy tank. I was killed of course, but I
reckon with the right newbie driver it'd be doable. I don't

One interesting one is "Online: knife 5 people on your friend list".
It's quite rare I meet up with any of you on there these days (boo to
you) and most of my "RL friends" wouldn't know a 360 from TV Pong. And
even when I do meet someone from my friends list we usually play on the
same team. Interesting achievement, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

There are a few others I didn't get, but they're mostly neither
attainable nor fun.

-Kevin.

Paul Murray

Feb 11, 2011, 6:25:02 AM2/11/11
On 2011-02-11, Craig Coope <coop...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Having read Gus' post about Borderlands it got me thinking on
> achievements and how many games you have 1000G'd.

I've only 1000G'd one game, and that was where finishing the game
equalled 1000. (CSI something)
Too many games frustate me a single-player-only gamer by having
achievements that require multi-player, so I have no hope of ever
'completing' them in than sense.
It would have been a better design to have completely split single
and multi-player achievements.

buckskin

Feb 11, 2011, 6:32:31 AM2/11/11

"[ste parker]" <ste.p...@gmail.com> wrote in message

--

Yes Value added 1 kill onto the total in L4D as a homage to DR.

buckskin

Feb 11, 2011, 6:38:02 AM2/11/11

"Chris Stevens" <ne...@thestevensfamily.plus.com> wrote in message

> For the first 4 years of the 360's life, I probably averaged about 20,000
> gamerscore per year.

My GS right *now* is 19,001. So I average 4k gamerscore per year :)

Mind you I have over 20k multiplayer kills in Reach! Actually just two more
achievements, if I can be bothered, and then I will have maxed out that
game.

buckskin

Feb 11, 2011, 6:42:55 AM2/11/11

"FooAtari" <allie.f...@MTRPgooglemail.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 00:11:12 +0000, Craig Coope wrote:
>
> > So are there a lot of whores out there?
>
> I've never really seen the point of achievements personally. I'll play
> the game how I want to play it, not how some developer thinks I should
> play it.

To be fair developers never asked for them but it was a smart move by MS.

Sometimes, as a metagame it's been fun but I do take it on a game by game
basis. They offer additional challenges that on occasion are fun to
attempt. But if they simply unlock as a direct consequence of playing the
game normally they don't strike me as particularly rewarding or imaginative.

Toby Newman

Feb 11, 2011, 6:41:41 AM2/11/11

The most I've ever got on a game was 470/1000.

--
-Toby

buckskin

Feb 11, 2011, 6:53:29 AM2/11/11

"Liz Huckle" <l...@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> > I really do hate the achievements where you have collect x number of
> > whatever. I don't think that encourages a healthy way of playing games
at
> > all.
>
> Does it not depend on personal satisfaction though? You may find
> collecting x amounts of things boring where someone else may *love* that
> or have a sense of purpose for it. In the same way that another gamer
> finds completing the game on legendary or flawless or whatever it might
> be tedious...
>
> I don't know, I don't pay that much attention to an achievement until I
> get it. :-)

It just strikes me as unimaginative and forms part of the grind we see in so
many games today as part of an overall design to make games "sticky". I've
definitely fallen into the trap of trying to collect things but ultimately
it's wasting your time and can be rather annoying if you don't get them all.
Call it OCD or whatever but there's definitely a strong psychological
imperative being exploited and I feel a bit sorry for anyone who gets too
obsessed by this activity.

In the XBLA title Hydro Thunder Hurricane they mock the collectables design
by emphasising the pointlessness. They're just these attractive looking
spinning badges and when you grab one the announcer makes statements like
"you collected....a thing"

The only time I felt it was worthwhile was collecting all the audio diaries
in Bioshock, though sadly I wasn't able to achieve that.

WCZ

Feb 11, 2011, 7:13:32 AM2/11/11

> The only time I felt it was worthwhile was collecting all the audio
> diaries
> in Bioshock, though sadly I wasn't able to achieve that.

I missed two diaries in Bioshock and they were the only two you couldn't go
back to get! Bloody game. :-)

--

WCZ

Chris Stevens

Feb 11, 2011, 7:15:22 AM2/11/11
deKay wrote:
>> I can't remember who it was, but I very much agree with whoever said
>> in here in the past: 'Achievements in games are great. An overall
>> gamerscore is rubbish'.
>
> That was me. I don't think I was the only one who said it though.
> Certainly not Zo ;)

No. Certainly not Zo.
Speaking of which, isn't it the custom for someone to mention his Fallout 3
shame when threads like this come up? Well, consider it mentioned.

--

Chris

GT: SomethingWitty

WCZ

Feb 11, 2011, 7:17:51 AM2/11/11

> I have 6 games with only 1 achievement left to get. I would love to get
> the last few in FlatOut but they require 4 co-operative players to get
> which is nigh on impossible now.

I've still got it. Despite it being utter rubbish. And you made me buy it.

--

WCZ

Chris Whitworth

Feb 11, 2011, 7:29:41 AM2/11/11
On 2011-02-11, Toby Newman <goo...@asktoby.com> wrote:
> On 2011-02-11, Chris Whitworth <usenet...@parm.net> wrote:
>> On 2011-02-11, Craig Coope <coop...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> So are there a lot of whores out there?
>>>
>>> How many games have you gained all achievements for and do you recall
>>> any "ridiculous" ones you have proudly earned?
>>
>> I've never 100%ed any game, ever.
>
> The most I've ever got on a game was 470/1000.

Looks like mine is 580 on Prince of Persia, followed by 365 on Halo 3 and
325 on Bayonetta. Actually, I did go out of my way to go and collect a few
more of the glowy orb things after the main story of PoP ended, now I think
about it.

Chris

AndyNine

Feb 11, 2011, 7:43:29 AM2/11/11
In article <atu8l6t6hea61rm99...@4ax.com>, coope1999
@hotmail.com says...

> So are there a lot of whores out there?
>
> How many games have you gained all achievements for and do you recall
> any "ridiculous" ones you have proudly earned?

Just two

Assassins Creed 2 and Pro Evolution Soccer 6

I enjoyed AC2 so much I went after the 1000 just so I could keep playing
it.

I went after the 1000 with Pro Evo because at that point it was pretty
much the only game I was playing on a regular basis so I thought it
would keep it interesting and I hadn't got 1000 in anything anyway- in
fact it was a pain as i had to finish all the leagues
(dutch/spanish/french/etc) and it just became a grind in the end.

Now I usually play a game without really thinking about getting near
1000 and whatever my score is at the end that's it unless I want to eek
out a bit more time on a game like I did with AC2 (570 on Pro Evo 2008
for example - i'll never go back to that so that's my score for it!)

I quite like getting an acheivement randomly popping up while I'm
playing but some of the silly online ones can go jump off a cliff.

I'm sure I saw an achievement once where you had to beat someone from
the Dev team to get it? Or did I imagine that?

--
@AndyParkes
andyparkes.co.uk/blog

Tony

Feb 11, 2011, 8:10:09 AM2/11/11
On 11/02/2011 11:53, buckskin wrote:

> It just strikes me as unimaginative and forms part of the grind we see in so
> many games today as part of an overall design to make games "sticky". I've
> definitely fallen into the trap of trying to collect things but ultimately
> it's wasting your time and can be rather annoying if you don't get them all.
> Call it OCD or whatever but there's definitely a strong psychological
> imperative being exploited and I feel a bit sorry for anyone who gets too
> obsessed by this activity.

Some people are driven by achieving goals, others are driven by
experiencing diverse things, neither is 100% right (balance in all
things!). The problem with both is that in vulnerable people, they can
replace achieving goals or experiencing things outside of the game (i.e.
having a life as the pejorative goes).

--
Tony Evans
Saving trees and wasting electrons since 1993

Tony

Feb 11, 2011, 8:13:47 AM2/11/11
On 11/02/2011 00:11, Craig Coope wrote:

> How many games have you gained all achievements for and do you recall
> any "ridiculous" ones you have proudly earned?

0.

Not had the 360 *that* long, but I don't feel compelled to get all the
achievements, although I enjoy earning them as a surprise.

Also, since I rarely play online (on consoles), any achievement that
requires there to be another living person in the same game as me ain't
gonna happen.

Tony

Feb 11, 2011, 8:21:20 AM2/11/11
On 11/02/2011 12:43, AndyNine wrote:

> I'm sure I saw an achievement once where you had to beat someone from
> the Dev team to get it? Or did I imagine that?

Borderlands. Play the game in co-op with a developer, or someone who
already has the achievement.

It's like a viral achievement, kind of amusing to think about it spreading.

Zomoniac

Feb 11, 2011, 8:36:45 AM2/11/11
On 2011-02-11 12:15:22 +0000, "Chris Stevens"
<ne...@thestevensfamily.plus.com> said:

I hate you.

--

Zo

Zomoniac

Feb 11, 2011, 8:50:07 AM2/11/11
On 2011-02-11 00:11:12 +0000, Craig Coope <coop...@hotmail.com> said:

> So are there a lot of whores out there?
>

> How many games have you gained all achievements for and do you recall
> any "ridiculous" ones you have proudly earned?

In order from hardest to most shamefully easy:

Retail
---
FIFA 08
FIFA 10
FIFA 09
Euro 2008
Forza 3
Sonic Kart
Resi 5
You're In The Movies
Fable 2
Viva Pinata
FIFA Street 3
Condemned
Monopoly
Trivial Pursuit
NHL 07
Meet The Robinsons
NHL 2K6
Open Season
Madden 06
FIFA 06
Lost
Terminator Salvation
King Kong
Cars Mater-National
Fight Night 3
Hannah Montana The Movie
TMNT
NBA 2K6

29.

XBLA
---
Sonic Adventure
Sonic 2
Crazy Taxi
Sonic 1
SoulCalibur
Sonic 3
Uno
New Rally-X
Dash Of Destruction

9.

So 38 in total.

I think Forza 3 was the last 1k I got, about a year ago. I just don't
care any more. If it's not too much effort and I'm within touching
distance without going out of my way then I'll go for it, so I should
have Assassin's Creed 2 done pretty soon, but I've given up on doing
all the FIFA games, way too much effort and just not very much fun. The
vast majority of mine are shamefully easy, but I like to counterbalance
them with the FIFA games which are beyond hard (last time I checked
there were 107 people in the world including me to have done FIFA 08),
makes me feel slightly less bad. I've now been over 90k for a year, I
could have got to 100k months ago if I'd cared enough, but I'm stuck on
94k and I can't say it bothers me.

--

Zo

deKay

Feb 11, 2011, 8:50:34 AM2/11/11
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Chris Stevens wrote:

> No. Certainly not Zo.
> Speaking of which, isn't it the custom for someone to mention his Fallout 3
> shame when threads like this come up? Well, consider it mentioned.

It's been mentioned both times we've met him too :)

Zomoniac

Feb 11, 2011, 8:54:48 AM2/11/11

Dead Rising had a kill 53,594 achievement, then L4D had a kill 53,595
achievement, then Prototype had a kill 53,596 achievement. Not sure if
anyone did the next one.

--

Zo

Zomoniac

Feb 11, 2011, 8:55:27 AM2/11/11
On 2011-02-11 13:50:34 +0000, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk.invalid> said:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Chris Stevens wrote:
>
>> No. Certainly not Zo.
>> Speaking of which, isn't it the custom for someone to mention his Fallout 3
>> shame when threads like this come up? Well, consider it mentioned.
>
> It's been mentioned both times we've met him too :)

Quite. Damn whoever noticed that. I really wish I could delete it from
my profile.

--

Zo

deKay

Feb 11, 2011, 8:52:50 AM2/11/11
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, AndyNine wrote:

> I'm sure I saw an achievement once where you had to beat someone from
> the Dev team to get it? Or did I imagine that?

Quite a few games have it. I think Prey and Halo 3 do? Usually you only
have to kill someone who was on the dev team, or who has already beaten
someone on the dev team. They're not actually that hard to get, but are
utterly pointless as they can only be obtained (essentially) randomly.

hurricanepilot

Feb 11, 2011, 8:59:30 AM2/11/11
On Feb 11, 1:54 pm, Zomoniac <the_proper_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Dead Rising 2 has a 53,596 kills achievement called "Z-Genocider 2:
Genocide Harder" according to x360a, and Dead Nation has a
"Genocidiary" trophy for the same amount.

Craig Coope

Feb 11, 2011, 9:00:07 AM2/11/11
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:52:50 +0000, deKay
<an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, AndyNine wrote:
>
>> I'm sure I saw an achievement once where you had to beat someone from
>> the Dev team to get it? Or did I imagine that?
>
>Quite a few games have it. I think Prey and Halo 3 do? Usually you only
>have to kill someone who was on the dev team, or who has already beaten
>someone on the dev team. They're not actually that hard to get, but are
>utterly pointless as they can only be obtained (essentially) randomly.
>
>deKay

I'm pretty sure GTA4 has one.

--
The Zero ST

hurricanepilot

Feb 11, 2011, 9:01:53 AM2/11/11
On Feb 11, 1:50 pm, Zomoniac <the_proper_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

There's one missing from the bottom of that list, or maybe you put it
soooo far down the list it fell off usenet? ;o)

Zomoniac

Feb 11, 2011, 10:04:31 AM2/11/11

I'm pretty sure it doesn't count :)

--

Zo

Hakk

Feb 11, 2011, 10:26:21 AM2/11/11
On 11/02/2011 09:36, Hakk wrote:
> On 11/02/2011 00:11, Craig Coope wrote:
>> Having read Gus' post about Borderlands it got me thinking on
>> achievements and how many games you have 1000G'd.
>>
>> Normally if I complete a game (ie main storyline) I'll end up with
>> about 300-400G but even that is rare as a rarely complete games.
>>
>> Some achievements I feel are ridiculous and would take an unrealistic
>> amount of time (or are just plain impossible). Is there not one for
>> killing 10,000 zombies on L4D?
>>
>> Personally I'm about to get 1000G on Oblivion (only 3 more quests to
>> go) and that will be the first time I've ever done it. No other game
>> has held my interest enough....and yes I'm aware that some games have
>> more than 1000G esp with expansions etc.

>> So are there a lot of whores out there?
>>
>> How many games have you gained all achievements for and do you recall
>> any "ridiculous" ones you have proudly earned?
>>
>> --
>> The Zero ST
>
> Only one retail game for me, Oblivion. And then they added the extra
> 250, of which I got all but one of the achievements. I missed the last
> one due to a either/or choice and didn't have a fall back save to do both.
>
> Came close in AC:II, but sold the game when I could still get a decent
> resale value.
>
> Arcade, I think I've 200/200 on Pacman DX (or is it EX?), Galaga, Track
> n Field.
>
> Hakk

Oh, and that "Lost" game. But that was piss easy.

Hakk

Chris Stevens

Feb 11, 2011, 10:35:53 AM2/11/11

You know what? I just went back and checked and found something quite
amusing.

The original thread is here.

https://groups.google.com/group/uk.games.video.misc/browse_thread/thread/4205f5e0ac2b4725/ab0815ed2f2a12e3

Note the date. February 2009.

When I saw my original post in that thread, I thought to myself that if it
was only 1100G, it must have been before the majority of the DLC came out.
Out of curiosity, I then had a quick look at Zo's profile on xbox.com and
what did I find? After being shamed in this way back in February, he
returned to the game 6 months later and did the same for the rest of the
DLC!

What a bad man. ;)

--

Chris

GT: SomethingWitty

GusTavToo

Feb 11, 2011, 11:31:16 AM2/11/11
Tony <to...@darkstorm.invalid> wrote:
> On 11/02/2011 12:43, AndyNine wrote:
>
> > I'm sure I saw an achievement once where you had to beat someone
> > from
> > the Dev team to get it? Or did I imagine that?
>
> Borderlands. Play the game in co-op with a developer, or someone who
> already has the achievement.
>
> It's like a viral achievement, kind of amusing to think about it
> spreading.

Loads of games seem to be going down the viral achievement route.
Trueachievements.com are having a 'virals' month at the moment to
facilitate their spread across lots of games.

Gus.
--
GT: GusTavToo / PSN: GusWho - Sent from a micro iPad

Toby Newman

Feb 11, 2011, 1:32:26 PM2/11/11

Brilliant!

Toby Newman

Feb 11, 2011, 1:33:47 PM2/11/11

Magic The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers has one.

Tim Miller

Feb 11, 2011, 2:56:42 PM2/11/11
"buckskin" <buck...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> Sometimes, as a metagame it's been fun but I do take it on a game by
> game
> basis. They offer additional challenges that on occasion are fun to
> attempt. But if they simply unlock as a direct consequence of playing
> the
> game normally they don't strike me as particularly rewarding or
> imaginative.

It's been mentioned a few times, but Crackdown's achievements are great
- a combination of progress and discovery. There are similar
achievements for Blur, Burnout Paradise, Geometry Wars, and Outrun
Online Arcade.

The only game I've got all achievements for is Afterburner Climax. But
that's because I'm a bit obsessed with it.

Tim (tm)

Zomoniac

Feb 11, 2011, 8:14:48 PM2/11/11
On 2011-02-11 15:35:53 +0000, "Chris Stevens"
<ne...@thestevensfamily.plus.com> said:

The shame.

I sold the game the day after the original stunt. When the new DLC came
out I fired it up assuming it wouldn't work as I didn't have the disc.
To my surprise it did. I couldn't resist. I really, really wish I could
delete that.

--

Zo

gospvg mobile

Feb 12, 2011, 2:35:59 AM2/12/11
Craig Coope <coop...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Having read Gus' post about Borderlands it got me thinking on
> achievements and how many games you have 1000G'd.
>
> Normally if I complete a game (ie main storyline) I'll end up with
> about 300-400G but even that is rare as a rarely complete games.
>
> Some achievements I feel are ridiculous and would take an unrealistic
> amount of time (or are just plain impossible). Is there not one for
> killing 10,000 zombies on L4D?
>
> Personally I'm about to get 1000G on Oblivion (only 3 more quests to
> go) and that will be the first time I've ever done it. No other game
> has held my interest enough....and yes I'm aware that some games have
> more than 1000G esp with expansions etc.
>

> So are there a lot of whores out there?
>
> How many games have you gained all achievements for and do you recall
> any "ridiculous" ones you have proudly earned?

Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas & AC2
I hate online based impossible achievements, there are some in AC
Brotherhood which I'll be playing next :(

--
[..getting old and still playing video games..]

brian.hopkinson

Feb 12, 2011, 5:17:50 AM2/12/11

"Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

the only shame is you missed out on a great game.

bri

Gunther Gloop

Feb 12, 2011, 5:28:12 AM2/12/11

You can. Create a new account. Your old one is tainted. You're lucky you
have a chance to start afresh.

-Kevin.

Carl Cross

Feb 12, 2011, 5:46:35 AM2/12/11
gospvg mobile <addre...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Craig Coope <coop...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Having read Gus' post about Borderlands it got me thinking on
> > achievements and how many games you have 1000G'd.
> >
> > Normally if I complete a game (ie main storyline) I'll end up with
> > about 300-400G but even that is rare as a rarely complete games.
> >
> > Some achievements I feel are ridiculous and would take an
> > unrealistic
> > amount of time (or are just plain impossible). Is there not one for
> > killing 10,000 zombies on L4D?
> >
> > Personally I'm about to get 1000G on Oblivion (only 3 more quests to
> > go) and that will be the first time I've ever done it. No other game
> > has held my interest enough....and yes I'm aware that some games
> > have
> > more than 1000G esp with expansions etc.
> >

> > So are there a lot of whores out there?
> >
> > How many games have you gained all achievements for and do you
> > recall
> > any "ridiculous" ones you have proudly earned?

To be best of my knowledge I have never maxed out a game since you've
been able to check such things.

Seeing the credits is more than enough for me and I nearly always finish
playing right there. Made Animal Crossing a short game I can tell you.

When did OCD become such a positive and desirable trait? I can't think
of anything more dull than compulsive fetch quests.

In fact I've come to the conclusion that I have gaming ADHD. I run
around for half am hour looking at all the flashing lights and then move
on to the next thing.

Carl.

[ste parker]

Feb 12, 2011, 11:42:40 AM2/12/11
On 12/02/2011 07:35, gospvg mobile wrote:
> Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas& AC2

> I hate online based impossible achievements, there are some in AC
> Brotherhood which I'll be playing next :(

Although I've not played it for a while the online in ACB was utterly
excellent, achievements be damned!

--
[ste]

gospvg mobile

Feb 12, 2011, 1:22:40 PM2/12/11
"[ste parker]" <imag...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Although I've not played it for a while the online in ACB was utterly
> excellent, achievements be damned!

I'm expecting it will be a poor afterthought?
Maybe not then?

AndyNine

Feb 12, 2011, 1:44:56 PM2/12/11
In article <1863881066319225055.653946address_is-
invalid...@news.individual.net>, addre...@invalid.invalid says...

> > Although I've not played it for a while the online in ACB was utterly
> > excellent, achievements be damned!
>
> I'm expecting it will be a poor afterthought?

That was my worry too - want to play a bit more of the single player
first but will definetely give online a shot soon

--
AndyNine
@AndyParkes

[ste parker]

Feb 12, 2011, 9:04:33 PM2/12/11
On 12/02/2011 18:22, gospvg mobile wrote:
> "[ste parker]"<imag...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Although I've not played it for a while the online in ACB was utterly
>> excellent, achievements be damned!
>
> I'm expecting it will be a poor afterthought?
> Maybe not then?

Definitely not, the most fun I'd had in online multiplayer in ages. It's
probably dead now, I might have a look on tomorrow and see.

--
[ste]

Luke Curtis

Feb 13, 2011, 6:52:11 AM2/13/11
<coop...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Having read Gus' post about Borderlands it got me thinking on
>achievements and how many games you have 1000G'd.
>
>Normally if I complete a game (ie main storyline) I'll end up with
>about 300-400G but even that is rare as a rarely complete games.
>
>Some achievements I feel are ridiculous and would take an unrealistic
>amount of time (or are just plain impossible). Is there not one for
>killing 10,000 zombies on L4D?

some of the worst for me are:

Gears of War, get 10,000 kills online

Guitar Hero complete all songs on Hard/expert

and generally all the MP achievements when you have to win x/y/x win
in a row.

Some of the fifa games when you have to win in every stadium etc.

>Personally I'm about to get 1000G on Oblivion (only 3 more quests to
>go) and that will be the first time I've ever done it. No other game
>has held my interest enough....and yes I'm aware that some games have
>more than 1000G esp with expansions etc.
>

>So are there a lot of whores out there?
>
>How many games have you gained all achievements for and do you recall
>any "ridiculous" ones you have proudly earned?

These are the games which I feel really proud to have competed, a
real, well, "achievement" <G>

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 09
Amped 3
Call of Duty 2
Fallout 3
Just Cause
Just Cause 2
Fallout 3 (PC)

and those that were just for easy points but still enjoyed playing:

Cars
Surfs Up
King Kong
TMNT

and pure whoreing:

Avatar:TBE
Dash of Destruction

Close but no cigar:

Dirt: just missing the 2 MP achievements

MW2 missing some of the Special Ops achievements

Fallout New Vegas - will get most of the achievements soon, the big
question is can I be bothered to play it yet again to get the
companions achievement

-
XBox 360 GT: Broton69

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere! Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned! Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

Luke Curtis

Feb 19, 2011, 3:48:39 AM2/19/11
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 02:10:02 -0800 (PST), hurricanepilot
<hurrica...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Feb 11, 9:41 am, Gunther Gloop <thunderb...@SPAMNOkevinforde.com>
>wrote:
>> I've never 1000ed any game. Checking online the closest I've come is
>> Battlefield Bad Company 2, from which I garnered 775 points.
>>
>> I would have thought my 200+hr online enjoyment amounted to a whole lot
>> more than someone else's idea of achievement, but I guess I would be
>> wrong in that.
>
>Just different ways of seeing. For some people, seeing that final
>achievement pop up or that platinum trophy unlock is reward enough for
>what you and I might class as tedium.

For me it did add a huge amount of replayability to some games, In
Call of Duty 2 there is no way I would have gone and replayed the game
on the hardest possible level other than the allure of more
achievements and the prestige of being able to say I maxed out the
game

Of course there is the flip side that some really good games I not
replayed at all because I have maxed out the achievements or got all
the SP achievements.

>My wife occasionally catches me swearing at a game and calling it out
>for all the cheap tricks it's pulling, preventing me achieving
>whatever goal it is I've set myself. She asks why I'm still playing a
>game I'm clearly not enjoying and apparently actively hating. I've
>never been able to answer.
>
>I need a reason other than the pling of achievements unlocking to
>persevere with properly frustrating games, but I get that for some
>people (with a lot of time on their hands) they're reason enough.
>
>> I _did_ get maximum points on one game... Pac-Man CE (the 'original'
>> CE). 200/ 200!
>> It was good practice for Pac-Man CE DX, which I play on PS3 and for
>> which I've discovered Captain Cluke has yet again beaten most of my
>> scores. Curse you Captain Cluke/Sozzlyjoe! 2+mil on all/most of them
>> now! ..The trouble with "being top" is one tends to ease-off on playing
>> it, then by the time someone beats the scores you're out of practice.
>> I'll use this to my advantage in the coming weeks.. er, months
>> probably... er, _years_ maybe by the time I beat one of those!
>
>I do the same, sort of. If I nail a high score, my mojo takes a walk
>for some reason. I may have gotten to planet 55 on one life, but as
>soon as that high score ticks over I'll lose the remaining 15 withing
>a minute whether I want to or not. I'm guessing it's because my brain
>has changed chemicals on me.

For Geo Wars 2 (the only HS based game I play a lot of) I tend to
start poor, get better and better over the next 10 minutes and then I
have maybe 1/2 hour before I get sloppy and lose my "mojo"

Gunther Gloop

Feb 19, 2011, 5:56:26 AM2/19/11
On 19/02/11 08:48, Luke Curtis wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 02:10:02 -0800 (PST), hurricanepilot
> <hurrica...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 11, 9:41 am, Gunther Gloop<thunderb...@SPAMNOkevinforde.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I've never 1000ed any game. Checking online the closest I've come is
>>> Battlefield Bad Company 2, from which I garnered 775 points.
>>>
>>> I would have thought my 200+hr online enjoyment amounted to a whole lot
>>> more than someone else's idea of achievement, but I guess I would be
>>> wrong in that.
>>
>> Just different ways of seeing. For some people, seeing that final
>> achievement pop up or that platinum trophy unlock is reward enough for
>> what you and I might class as tedium.
>
> For me it did add a huge amount of replayability to some games, In
> Call of Duty 2 there is no way I would have gone and replayed the game
> on the hardest possible level other than the allure of more
> achievements and the prestige of being able to say I maxed out the
> game
>
> Of course there is the flip side that some really good games I not
> replayed at all because I have maxed out the achievements or got all
> the SP achievements.

Wasn't there some experiment where a group of children were told "if you
all draw a picture you'll get a bag of sweets each".
They were handed pens and paper, each kid drew a picture, then stopped,
waiting for their reward.

Then another class were told "here are pens and some paper". They drew a
picture, then another, then another, because it's what they wanted to be
doing.

"...Something something, in conclusion, something something..."