OT: What does "I'm away until the 24th" mean to you?

Commander Kinsey

Sep 29, 2022, 11:26:42 AM9/29/22
What does "I'm away until the 24th" mean to you?

To me, "X until Y" means X runs until Y happens, then X immediately stops. Hence in the above example, as soon as it becomes the 24th, at midnight at the beginning of that day, I am no longer away, and hence available.

So, "I'm on holiday until wednesday" means that any time during wednesday, I will be available and no longer on holiday.

But Ebay thinks otherwise. When I set my away time (as in buyers cannot buy from me without a delay) to "until the 24th", it assumed I was still on holiday on the 24th! Illogical!

SteveW

Sep 29, 2022, 12:05:16 PM9/29/22
Both interpretations are correct depending upon contect. If I was
setting my out of office reply, it'd say I was on holiday until the
24th, meaning that I'd be back on the 24th (as that is what business
contacts are interested in), but if talking to friends, I'd say I was on
holiday until the 23rd, meaning that my holiday would be ending on the
23rd (when I'd be travelling back, but not in work).

David Brooks

Sep 29, 2022, 12:14:18 PM9/29/22
On 29/09/2022 17:05, SteveW wrote:
> On 29/09/2022 16:26, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> What does "I'm away until the 24th" mean to you?
>>
>> To me, "X until Y" means X runs until Y happens, then X immediately
>> stops.  Hence in the above example, as soon as it becomes the 24th, at
>> midnight at the beginning of that day, I am no longer away, and hence
>> available.
>>
>> So, "I'm on holiday until wednesday" means that any time during
>> wednesday, I will be available and no longer on holiday.
>>
>> But Ebay thinks otherwise.  When I set my away time (as in buyers
>> cannot buy from me without a delay) to "until the 24th", it assumed I
>> was still on holiday on the 24th!  Illogical!
>
> Both interpretations are correct depending upon context. If I was
> setting my out of office reply, it'd say I was on holiday until the
> 24th, meaning that I'd be back on the 24th (as that is what business
> contacts are interested in), but if talking to friends, I'd say I was on
> holiday until the 23rd, meaning that my holiday would be ending on the
> 23rd (when I'd be travelling back, but not in work).

I agree with you, Steve - 100%.

You could not have explained better. 🙂

--
David

Commander Kinsey

Sep 29, 2022, 12:42:33 PM9/29/22
Your first explanation makes sense and is clear and precise. But why do you change it for friends? If I tell my friend I'm away until Wednesday, he should expect me to be around at home on Wednesday, because when Wednesday occurs, my holiday has finished.

Interestingly, from the Ebay forum, we have decided America uses the second one you mentioned, and UK the first. I take it you're in the UK?

Commander Kinsey

Sep 29, 2022, 12:43:29 PM9/29/22
To make sure this argument continues, how many days until "next Thursday", if today is Tuesday?

Peeler

Sep 29, 2022, 1:42:09 PM9/29/22
On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 16:26:36 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (aka "Commander Kinsey",
"James Wilkinson", "Steven Wanker","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.),
the pathological resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs,
blathered again:

<FLUSH the subnormal sociopathic trolling attention whore's latest
attention-baiting sick bullshit unread again>

So you posted the identical shit to SEVERAL ngs separately again, just so
you could get all the more attention out of several separate threads, you
totally fucked up wanker, attention whore and troll!

--
damdu...@yahoo.co.uk about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL)
trolling:

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a fucking moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander Kinsey LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"the piss poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
thekma...@gmail.com asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander
Kinsey" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic wanker Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
cl...@snyder.on.ca about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a shithole with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his shit is so grand he has the right to

Peeler

Sep 29, 2022, 1:45:35 PM9/29/22
On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 17:05:11 +0100, SteveWanker, another troll-feeding
senile ASSHOLE, blathered:

> Both interpretations are correct depending upon contect.

The ONLY right interpretation is that his latest shit is yet another attempt
at getting the attention of as many troll-feeding senile assholes as
possible. Get that into your troll-feeding senile head, senile moron!

zall

Sep 29, 2022, 2:05:50 PM9/29/22
Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote

> What does "I'm away until the 24th" mean to you?

That if you show up during normal hours on the
24th, I will be back unless the shit has hit the fan.

> To me, "X until Y" means X runs until Y happens, then X immediately
> stops. Hence in the above example, as soon as it becomes the 24th, at
> midnight at the beginning of that day, I am no longer away, and hence
> available.

That's silly with midnight with a return. The stater is talking
about normal hours, not the time from midnight.

> So, "I'm on holiday until wednesday" means that any time during
> wednesday, I will be available and no longer on holiday.

Not really, thats only true of normal hours, not from midnight.

> But Ebay thinks otherwise.

Hardly surprising given that they don't go away on holidays.

> When I set my away time (as in buyers cannot buyfrom me without a
> delay) to "until the 24th", it assumedI was still on holiday on the
> 24th! Illogical!

Then do the decent thing and set fire to yourself outside
ebay HQ. That will make them change their ways for sure.

Peeler

Sep 29, 2022, 3:04:40 PM9/29/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 04:05:42 +1000, zall, better known as cantankerous

<FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather>

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rodent:

Senile Rodent: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own shit?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the shit."

MID: <fv66ka...@mid.individual.net>

David Brooks

Sep 29, 2022, 3:48:13 PM9/29/22
In two days time it will be Thursday!

Pthirus Pubis

Sep 29, 2022, 3:52:41 PM9/29/22
You are unavailable until Oct 23 at 23h:59m:59s

You are available after Oct 24 at 00h:00m:01s

zall

Sep 29, 2022, 4:35:32 PM9/29/22
Not really, it actually means that you may be available
in normal hours but may be out shopping etc as usual.

Peeler

Sep 29, 2022, 4:42:00 PM9/29/22
On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 20:48:08 +0100, Shit the git, the senile troll and
troll-feeding senile asshole, ALSO trolling as David Brooks, blathered
again:

> In two days time it will be Thursday!

Unable to resist the unwashed Scottish wanker's cock again, Shit the Git?
<BG>

--
Some facts about the troll-feeding and trolling senile shithead:
https://web.archive.org/web/20181028000459/http://www.cosmicpenguin.com/snit.html

Peeler

Sep 29, 2022, 4:44:04 PM9/29/22
On Thu, 29 Sep 22 19:52:37 UTC, Pthirus Pubis, another mentally challenged,
troll-feeding, senile ASSHOLE, blathered:

> You are unavailable until Oct 23 at 23h:59m:59s
>
> You are available after Oct 24 at 00h:00m:01s

Another mentally deficient senile asshole who doesn't get that he's been
successfully baited by the dumbest troll around! LMAO

Peeler

Sep 29, 2022, 5:39:38 PM9/29/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 06:35:24 +1000, zall, better known as cantankerous

David Plowman about senile Rodent Speed's trolling:
"Wodney is doing a lot of morphing these days. Must be even more desperate
than usual for attention."
MID: <59a60da...@davenoise.co.uk>

SteveW

Sep 29, 2022, 7:53:52 PM9/29/22
I'd disagree there. "until Thursday" would be two days, "next Thursday"
would be nine days, as the next would imply the following one.

SteveW

Sep 29, 2022, 7:55:45 PM9/29/22
Because, for a friend, it would not be about when I would be back, but
when my holiday would end - which would be when I started travelling back.

> Interestingly, from the Ebay forum, we have decided America uses the
> second one you mentioned, and UK the first.  I take it you're in the UK?

Yes.

Snit

Sep 29, 2022, 9:18:46 PM9/29/22
On Sep 29, 2022 at 4:53:46 PM MST, "SteveW" wrote
<th5b6b$pj8b$4...@dont-email.me>:
I would say it is ambiguous, much like bimonthly can be.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 3:33:27 AM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 00:55:39 +0100, SteveWanker, another troll-feeding
senile ASSHOLE, blathered:

> Because, for a friend, it would not be about when I would be back, but
> when my holiday would end - which would be when I started travelling back.

Are you too senile to realize what an IDIOTIC "discussion" you are having
again with that idiot troll, you troll-feeding senile asshole? <BG>

Brian Gaff

Sep 30, 2022, 4:41:20 AM9/30/22
Well, that is bad wording on the label for the option. It should have said
on holiday from start date to end date inclusive, The word inclusive means
the whole of that day.

Another simple case of the old idea - Today is yesterdays tomorrow, in fact.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Commander Kinsey" <C...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 5:16:00 AM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:41:11 +0100, Brainless & Daft, the TV-watching and
pity-baiting senile "blind" mole, blathered again:

> Well, that is bad wording on the label for the option. It should have said

You should have kept your trollfeeding stupid gob shut, Brainless & Daft,
you disgusting, pity-arousing, TV-watching "blind" mole!

FromTheRafters

Sep 30, 2022, 6:28:33 AM9/30/22
SteveW formulated on Thursday :
> On 29/09/2022 20:48, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 29/09/2022 17:43, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> To make sure this argument continues, how many days until "next Thursday",
>>> if today is Tuesday?
>>
>> In two days time it will be Thursday!
>
> I'd disagree there. "until Thursday" would be two days, "next Thursday" would
> be nine days, as the next would imply the following one.

Here one might say "Thursday After Next" to mean that. Next means the
very next.

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 7:37:58 AM9/30/22
For a friend, I would like to tell them when I'm available. I have quite a few elderly friends who often need my help with things, so when I say "I'm away until Wednesday" they know they can come round and ask for help on Wednesday.

NY

Sep 30, 2022, 7:39:11 AM9/30/22
"FromTheRafters" <F...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

>> I'd disagree there. "until Thursday" would be two days, "next Thursday"
>> would be nine days, as the next would imply the following one.
>
> Here one might say "Thursday After Next" to mean that. Next means the very
> next.

Don't get me started on "this Thursday", "next Thursday" etc. I tend to be
as unambiguous as possible "the Thursday of this week", "the Thursday of
next week"... or even "Thursday 9 March" etc.

My wife's definition of "next Wednesday" seems to alter depending on how
close it is to today, whereas "this Thursday" *always* means the first one
that is later than today and "next Thursday" always means the one after
that, so the only time it jumps is on a Thursday, when "this Thursday"
refers to what had previously been "next Thursday". I think she may
sometimes use "this Thursday" to refer to the most recent day in the *past*,
providing it's in the same calendar week as today.

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 7:40:05 AM9/30/22
Yes, I was taught to use "inclusive" at school. But I haven't seen that word used for decades.

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 7:43:04 AM9/30/22
It depends on how you think, and I was told Scotland thinks of days as divided into weeks, but the English don't. Not sure about Americans.

I use the Scottish way of thinking. "This [day]" is the day in this week. "Next [day]" is that day in the following week.

For example. This is Tuesday. If I say "come see me this Thursday", you know that's in two days time. If I say "come see me next Thursday", how could you possibly think that was the same day? How can this and next be the same thing?

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 7:44:09 AM9/30/22
Yeah that seems to be divided 50/50. If a plant flowers biannually, or a meeting occurs biannually, is it twice a year or every 2 years? I just say "twice a year", "every 6 months", "every 2 years".

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 8:05:21 AM9/30/22
On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 21:23:06 +0100, Scott Lurndal <sc...@slp53.sl.home> wrote:

> Thomas <cano...@gmail.com> writes:
>> I agree with PP. Ebay has no schedule.
>> I say "out of office, return 09/29. I am available on 09 29 regular hours which is 6 am.
>> They know my hours give or take.
>
> You might want to google "Pthirus Pubis" before you agree with it.

Irrelevant to the current discussion.

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 8:06:17 AM9/30/22
Exactly the way I think, anything else is illogical.

Are you American? I was told the Brits think the way we do, and the Americans think I'll be back a day later.

NY

Sep 30, 2022, 8:56:23 AM9/30/22
> Yes, I was taught to use "inclusive" at school. But I haven't seen that
> word used for decades.
>

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:41:11 +0100, Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Well, that is bad wording on the label for the option. It should have
>> said
>> on holiday from start date to end date inclusive, The word inclusive
>> means
>> the whole of that day.

Yes I'd say "I'm away from 11 to 15 January, and will next be in the office
on 16 January". More words, but totally unambiguous.

It's like the age-old problem with quoting the dates when disused railway
stations closed: does the date specified mean the last day that trains
called (permanently close the doors after the last train that day) or does
it mean the first date when trains did not call?

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 9:11:28 AM9/30/22
Somebody needs to combine maths with English and make the language more precise.

whisky-dave

Sep 30, 2022, 9:17:45 AM9/30/22
No, it was Thursday, yesterday :-)

Fredxx

Sep 30, 2022, 9:22:44 AM9/30/22
Any language can be as vague or precise as you choose. Anything less
suggests a lack of command and understanding of the language.

whisky-dave

Sep 30, 2022, 9:28:01 AM9/30/22
Sounds more like your way of not thinking.

So if you buy something on-line and it says next day delivery then they mean it'll take a week to deliver ?

> For example. This is Tuesday. If I say "come see me this Thursday", you know that's in two days time. If I say "come see me next Thursday", how could you possibly think that was the same day? How can this and next be the same thing?

Not for me , both see you this thursday or next thursday mean the same thing. if I mean next week i'd be see you the following thrusday or a week next thrusday is what my parents would say

billy bookcase

Sep 30, 2022, 9:38:15 AM9/30/22

"SteveW" <st...@walker-family.me.uk> wrote in message news:th4fnn$mna0$1...@dont-email.me...
> On 29/09/2022 16:26, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>> What does "I'm away until the 24th" mean to you?

Nothing. Who cares how long someone is,.or isn't away ?

What is so difficult in simply saying "I'll be back at work, or available,
on the 25th ?"

Who cares where they've been ? On their holiday or wherever.

bb

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 9:49:47 AM9/30/22
A decent language should be precise without us requiring to be verbose. How would you let people know when you plan to return from holiday?

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 9:50:47 AM9/30/22
Yes that is more clear, but Ebay don't seem to think so. "The seller is away until the 24th"

whisky-dave

Sep 30, 2022, 9:52:00 AM9/30/22
On Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 16:26:42 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> What does "I'm away until the 24th" mean to you?

At guess I'd say you've been charged with gross sexual indecency with a haggis
and will be relased on bail on 24th.

Fredxx

Sep 30, 2022, 10:27:42 AM9/30/22
By telling the date of your return; silly.
I will return from holiday on x/y/z
I will start work on x+1/y/z

Only someone who can't express themselves in plain English will complain
that the words they use are ambiguous. Or use a series of words that
create ambiguity and then blame it on the language itself rather than
their lack of understanding of the language.

Did you pass any English Language exam? If you have, you should consider
re-taking it or taking part in a refresher course. If not perhaps
consider some tuition.

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 10:31:41 AM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:56:02 +0100, NY, the really endlessly blathering,
notorious, troll-feeding, senile asshole, blathered, yet again:

> Yes I'd say

Yeah, senile smartass, help the clinically insane, trolling attention whore
make a real success of his latest trollshit in these groups! After all,
that's what your senility is useful for, you senile wisenheimer!

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 10:33:28 AM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 14:22:42 +0100, Fredxx, the notorious, troll-feeding,
senile smartass, blathered again:

> Any language can be as vague or precise as you choose. Anything less
> suggests a lack of command and understanding of the language.

WTF has this sick shit got to do with ANY of the groups the Scottish wanker
crossposted it to? Eh, senile cretin?

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 10:35:27 AM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 06:27:58 -0700 (PDT), whisky-depraved, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, bullshitted yet again:

> Sounds more like your way of not thinking.

Sound more like his way of trolling, you troll-feeding senile ASSHOLE!

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 10:47:32 AM9/30/22
I agree, but direct your complaints to Ebay, they're the ones that make it ambiguous. When a seller is on holiday they are "away until the 24th".

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 11:09:19 AM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 15:27:40 +0100, Fredxx, the notorious, troll-feeding,
senile smartass, blathered again:

> By telling the date of your return; silly.

Soon you will be howling and crying again because you had been trolled again
by the very troll who already made you howl and cry so many times before,
you senile troll-feeding asshole! LOL

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 11:12:48 AM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 06:51:57 -0700 (PDT), whisky-depraved, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blabbered again:

> At guess I'd say you've been charged with gross sexual indecency with a haggis
> and will be relased on bail on 24th.

My guess is that you are a dumber troll-feeding senile ASSHOLE than I already knew you were.

zall

Sep 30, 2022, 12:19:50 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 21:39:59 +1000, Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com>
wrote:

> Yes, I was taught to use "inclusive" at school. But I haven't seen that
> word used for decades.

Then you need to get out more.

Snit

Sep 30, 2022, 12:26:37 PM9/30/22
On Sep 29, 2022 at 8:26:36 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1s9ju...@ryzen.home>:

> What does "I'm away until the 24th" mean to you?
>
> To me, "X until Y" means X runs until Y happens, then X immediately stops.
> Hence in the above example, as soon as it becomes the 24th, at midnight at the
> beginning of that day, I am no longer away, and hence available.
>
> So, "I'm on holiday until wednesday" means that any time during wednesday, I
> will be available and no longer on holiday.
>
> But Ebay thinks otherwise. When I set my away time (as in buyers cannot buy
> from me without a delay) to "until the 24th", it assumed I was still on
> holiday on the 24th! Illogical!

I think it is ambiguous.

I am doing X until such and such date... could mean I am doing that thing
until and including that date, or I am doing that thing but will stop on that
date.

Damned language.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Rod Speed

Sep 30, 2022, 12:33:43 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 22:56:02 +1000, NY <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote:

> "Commander Kinsey" <C...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, I was taught to use "inclusive" at school. But I haven't seen
>> that word used for decades.
>>

>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:41:11 +0100, Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, that is bad wording on the label for the option. It should have
>>> said
>>> on holiday from start date to end date inclusive, The word inclusive
>>> means
>>> the whole of that day.
>
> Yes I'd say "I'm away from 11 to 15 January, and will next be in the
> office on 16 January". More words, but totally unambiguous.

Makes more sense to say 'I will be back on 16 Jan.

> It's like the age-old problem with quoting the dates when disused
> railway stations closed: does the date specified mean the last day that
> trains called (permanently close the doors after the last train that
> day) or does it mean the first date when trains did not call?

Nothing like in fact.

zall

Sep 30, 2022, 12:38:23 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 23:11:22 +1000, Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com>
wrote:
There is an argument that english works better because it isnt as precise.

Rod Speed

Sep 30, 2022, 12:40:48 PM9/30/22
But he is basically suggesting that it would be better
if it wasnt ambiguous because then people couldnt
be ambiguous without intending to be ambiguous.

There is no chance of changing the language.

Rod Speed

Sep 30, 2022, 12:44:29 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 23:49:41 +1000, Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com>
I will be back on the 16th.

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 1:10:53 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 17:26:32 +0100, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2022 at 8:26:36 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
> <op.1s9ju...@ryzen.home>:
>
>> What does "I'm away until the 24th" mean to you?
>>
>> To me, "X until Y" means X runs until Y happens, then X immediately stops.
>> Hence in the above example, as soon as it becomes the 24th, at midnight at the
>> beginning of that day, I am no longer away, and hence available.
>>
>> So, "I'm on holiday until wednesday" means that any time during wednesday, I
>> will be available and no longer on holiday.
>>
>> But Ebay thinks otherwise. When I set my away time (as in buyers cannot buy
>> from me without a delay) to "until the 24th", it assumed I was still on
>> holiday on the 24th! Illogical!
>
> I think it is ambiguous.
>
> I am doing X until such and such date... could mean I am doing that thing
> until and including that date, or I am doing that thing but will stop on that
> date.
>
> Damned language.

I am a logical person and the answer is obvious. I do X until Y. Which means AS SOON AS Y occurs, X stops. So AT THE VERY START of Y, X stops.

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 1:17:32 PM9/30/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 02:44:22 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

<FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather>

--
Typical retarded "conversation" between the Scottish wanker and the senile
Ozzietard:

Birdbrain: "Horse shit doesn't stink."

Senile Rodent: "It does if you roll in it."

Birdbrain: "I've never worked out why, I assumed it was maybe meateaters
that made stinky shit, but then why does vegetarian human shit stink? Is it
just the fact that we're capable of digesting meat?"

Senile Rodent: "Nope, some cow shit stinks too."

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 1:18:07 PM9/30/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 02:40:40 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Tim+ about trolling Rodent Speed:
He is by far the most persistent troll who seems to be able to get under the
skin of folk who really should know better. Since when did arguing with a
troll ever achieve anything (beyond giving the troll pleasure)?
MID: <1421057667.659518815.743...@news.individual.net>

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 1:18:42 PM9/30/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 02:38:16 +1000, zall, better known as cantankerous

<FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather>

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rodent Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rodent: "Then fuck the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rodent: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rodent Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try fucking them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rodent Speed: "They wont if you try fucking them. Try it and see."

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 1:19:33 PM9/30/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 02:33:35 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

JimK addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"I really feel the quality of your trolling has dropped in the last few
months..."
MID: <n8idndHg5972A2DD...@brightview.co.uk>

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 1:20:10 PM9/30/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 02:19:44 +1000, zall, better known as cantankerous

<FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather>

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between the two resident idiots:

Birdbrain: "But imagine how cool it was to own slaves."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, right. Feed them, clothe them, and fix them when
they're broken.
After all, you paid good money for them. Then you've got to keep an eye
on them all the time."

Birdbrain: "Better than having to give them wages on top of that."

Senile Rodent: "Specially when they make more slaves for you
and produce their own food and clothes."

MID: <fvlcdc...@mid.individual.net>

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 1:22:11 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 16:26:32 GMT, Shit the git, the senile troll and
troll-feeding senile asshole, ALSO trolling as David Brooks, blathered
again:

> I think it is ambiguous.

I think Shit the Git, the resident human toilet, is running again! <BG>

--
Glenn Hall in comp.os.linux.advocacy about Shit the git:
"That person is like a constantly running toilet that won't stop. Does he

Snit

Sep 30, 2022, 1:24:24 PM9/30/22
On Sep 30, 2022 at 10:10:46 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1tbjb...@ryzen.home>:
It is logical to accept that not all will see it that way.

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 1:28:27 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 18:24:19 +0100, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2022 at 10:10:46 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
> <op.1tbjb...@ryzen.home>:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 17:26:32 +0100, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think it is ambiguous.
>>>
>>> I am doing X until such and such date... could mean I am doing that thing
>>> until and including that date, or I am doing that thing but will stop on that
>>> date.
>>>
>>> Damned language.
>>
>> I am a logical person and the answer is obvious. I do X until Y. Which means
>> AS SOON AS Y occurs, X stops. So AT THE VERY START of Y, X stops.
>
> It is logical to accept that not all will see it that way.

It is also logical to accept illogical people are wrong.

Snit

Sep 30, 2022, 1:29:56 PM9/30/22
On Sep 30, 2022 at 9:44:22 AM MST, ""Rod Speed"" wrote
<op.1tbh3...@pvr2.lan>:
That is ore clear.

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 1:57:38 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 17:24:19 GMT, Shit the git, the senile troll and
troll-feeding senile asshole, ALSO trolling as David Brooks, blathered
again:

> It is logical to accept that not all will see it that way.

It is logical to see that you are one of the most obnoxious trolling senile
pests around, Shit the Git!

--
Some facts about the trolling senile shithead:
https://web.archive.org/web/20181028000459/http://www.cosmicpenguin.com/snit.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20190529043314/http://cosmicpenguin.com/snitlist.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20190529062255/http://cosmicpenguin.com/snitLieMethods.html

Snit

Sep 30, 2022, 3:23:04 PM9/30/22
On Sep 30, 2022 at 10:28:20 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1tbj5...@ryzen.home>:
It is more important to me to have good communication than to assign blame.

Snit

Sep 30, 2022, 3:29:23 PM9/30/22
Depends on the goal.

Mark Lloyd

Sep 30, 2022, 3:45:43 PM9/30/22
On 9/29/22 18:53, SteveW wrote:

[snip]

>>> To make sure this argument continues, how many days until "next
>>> Thursday", if today is Tuesday?
>>
>> In two days time it will be Thursday!
>
> I'd disagree there. "until Thursday" would be two days, "next Thursday"
> would be nine days, as the next would imply the following one.

"next Thursday" is sometimes interpreted as "the next day that is a
Thursday", which could never be 9 days away. I prefer to find a better
(non-ambiguous) way of saying it, such as the date.

--
86 days until the winter celebration (Sunday, December 25, 2022 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Faith is often the boast of the man who is too lazy to investigate." -
F.M. Knowles

Mark Lloyd

Sep 30, 2022, 3:50:03 PM9/30/22
On 9/29/22 18:55, SteveW wrote:

[snip]

> Because, for a friend, it would not be about when I would  be back, but
> when my holiday would end - which would be when I started travelling back.

For some people, travelling back is PART of the holiday. Anyway, what
matters to the friend is when you expect to be back.

>> Interestingly, from the Ebay forum, we have decided America uses the
>> second one you mentioned, and UK the first.  I take it you're in the UK?
>
> Yes.

Mark Lloyd

Sep 30, 2022, 3:52:18 PM9/30/22
On 9/29/22 20:18, Snit wrote:

[snip]

> I would say it is ambiguous, much like bimonthly can be.

"next Thursday" is ambiguous.

"bimonthly" is twice a month. What else?

zall

Sep 30, 2022, 3:52:50 PM9/30/22

>>> Somebody needs to combine maths with English and make the language more
>>> precise.
>>
>> There is an argument that english works better because it isnt as
>> precise.
>
> Depends on the goal.

There is never just one goal with any language.

English is much better than some languages for literature
poetry etc than some other much simpler languages.

Mark Lloyd

Sep 30, 2022, 3:56:20 PM9/30/22
On 9/30/22 05:28, FromTheRafters wrote:

[snip]

>>> In two days time it will be Thursday!
>>
>> I'd disagree there. "until Thursday" would be two days, "next
>> Thursday" would be nine days, as the next would imply the following one.
>
> Here one might say "Thursday After Next" to mean that. Next means the
> very next.

I do sometimes say "next Thursday'. Then I add something to make it
obvious which one, like "next Thursday, the 6th" or "next Thursday, the
13th".

OT: I should be getting flu and CoViD shots around then.

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 3:56:57 PM9/30/22
That is all very well provided you can teach those stupid people to become logical.

Mark Lloyd

Sep 30, 2022, 4:00:38 PM9/30/22
On 9/30/22 06:42, Commander Kinsey wrote:

[snip]

> It depends on how you think, and I was told Scotland thinks of days as
> divided into weeks, but the English don't.  Not sure about Americans.
>
> I use the Scottish way of thinking.  "This [day]" is the day in this
> week.  "Next [day]" is that day in the following week.

That's a nice, simple, unambiguous way of doing it. However, not
everyone does that so I still try to add something to make it obvious.

> For example.  This is Tuesday.  If I say "come see me this Thursday",
> you know that's in two days time.  If I say "come see me next Thursday",
> how could you possibly think that was the same day?  How can this and
> next be the same thing?

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 4:00:42 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 14:49:58 -0500, Mark Lloyd, another absolutely brain
dead, troll-feeding, senile cretin, drivelled:

> For some people, travelling back is PART of the holiday.

For ALL intelligent people he is a clinically insane, trolling attention
whore, you brain dead, troll-feeding senile ASSHOLE!

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 4:02:37 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:29:18 GMT, Shit the git, the senile troll and
troll-feeding senile asshole, ALSO trolling as David Brooks, blathered
again:

> Depends on the goal.

YOUR goal is to just keep gurgling idiotically in these groups like a
"constantly running toilet", Shit the Git!

Rod Speed

Sep 30, 2022, 4:02:53 PM9/30/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 05:45:37 +1000, Mark Lloyd <not....@all.invalid>
wrote:

> On 9/29/22 18:53, SteveW wrote:
>
> [snip]

>>> In two days time it will be Thursday!
>> I'd disagree there. "until Thursday" would be two days, "next
>> Thursday" would be nine days, as the next would imply the following one.
>
> "next Thursday" is sometimes interpreted as "the next day that is a
> Thursday", which could never be 9 days away. I prefer to find a better
> (non-ambiguous) way of saying it, such as the date.

But isnt as easy to come up with the date or for the recipient
to know which day you mean in general conversation.

Better to say Thursday this week or Thursday next week.

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 4:04:36 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:22:59 GMT, Shit the git, the senile troll and
troll-feeding senile asshole, ALSO trolling as David Brooks, blathered
again:

> It is more important to me to have good communication than to assign blame.

But it is most important to you to keep sucking off the troll and spam all
the ngs you infest with your endless sick senile shit, senile Shit the Git!

Commander Kinsey

Sep 30, 2022, 4:11:30 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 21:00:33 +0100, Mark Lloyd <not....@all.invalid> wrote:

> On 9/30/22 06:42, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> It depends on how you think, and I was told Scotland thinks of days as
>> divided into weeks, but the English don't. Not sure about Americans.
>>
>> I use the Scottish way of thinking. "This [day]" is the day in this
>> week. "Next [day]" is that day in the following week.
>
> That's a nice, simple, unambiguous way of doing it. However, not
> everyone does that so I still try to add something to make it obvious.

I don't, because anyone not thinking the way I do is clearly wrong.

Mark Lloyd

Sep 30, 2022, 4:13:57 PM9/30/22
On 9/30/22 03:41, Brian Gaff wrote:

[snip]

> Well, that is bad wording on the label for the option. It should have said
> on holiday from start date to end date inclusive,

That would make it better.

> The word inclusive means the whole of that day.
>
> Another simple case of the old idea - Today is yesterdays tomorrow, in fact.
> Brian

The thing I remember is from "Alice in Wonderland" where these people
are having jam tomorrow, which means they never have jam. I thought of
that when around someone who's always going to do something tomorrow,
and had been like that for over 10 years. It's never tomorrow.

Rod Speed

Sep 30, 2022, 4:32:20 PM9/30/22
Mark Lloyd <not....@all.invalid> wrote
> Snit wrote

>> I would say it is ambiguous, much like bimonthly can be.

> "next Thursday" is ambiguous.

> "bimonthly" is twice a month. What else?

Every second month.

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 4:42:24 PM9/30/22
"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 4:44:06 PM9/30/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 15:00:33 -0500, Mark Lloyd, another absolutely brain
dead, troll-feeding, senile cretin, drivelled:

> That's a nice, simple, unambiguous way of doing it.

You talking about your sucking off the unwashed Scottish wanker, time and
again, you troll-cock sucking senile shithead?

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 4:44:50 PM9/30/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 06:02:45 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID: <ev1p6ml7ywd5$.d...@sqwertz.com>

Peeler

Sep 30, 2022, 4:45:23 PM9/30/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 05:52:41 +1000, zall, better known as cantankerous

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"Shit you're thick/pathetic excuse for a troll."
MID: <ogoa38$pul$1...@news.mixmin.net>

Snit

Sep 30, 2022, 5:35:54 PM9/30/22
On Sep 30, 2022 at 12:52:13 PM MST, "Mark Lloyd" wrote
<NNHZK.528957$iiS8....@fx17.iad>:

> On 9/29/22 20:18, Snit wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I would say it is ambiguous, much like bimonthly can be.
>
> "next Thursday" is ambiguous.
>
> "bimonthly" is twice a month. What else?

Bimonthly is ever other month OR twice a month. It has both meanings.

English is broken.

Snit

Sep 30, 2022, 5:39:44 PM9/30/22
True. But I meant the goal of the communication.

> English is much better than some languages for literature
> poetry etc than some other much simpler languages.

Fair enough.

Snit

Sep 30, 2022, 5:40:24 PM9/30/22
On Sep 30, 2022 at 12:56:50 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1tbq0...@ryzen.home>:
Seems like a lot of effort with little return... and lots of drama.

Rod Speed

Sep 30, 2022, 8:55:55 PM9/30/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 07:35:49 +1000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2022 at 12:52:13 PM MST, "Mark Lloyd" wrote
> <NNHZK.528957$iiS8....@fx17.iad>:
>
>> On 9/29/22 20:18, Snit wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I would say it is ambiguous, much like bimonthly can be.
>>
>> "next Thursday" is ambiguous.
>>
>> "bimonthly" is twice a month. What else?
>
> Bimonthly is ever other month OR twice a month. It has both meanings.
>
> English is broken.

Nope, just not as crude as some other simpler languages.

zall

Sep 30, 2022, 9:00:20 PM9/30/22
But ambiguity is useful with some communication
like literature, poetry, jokes, song etc.

Snit

Oct 1, 2022, 12:00:13 AM10/1/22
At the very least that word is broken.

And it’s not the only one.

Snit

Oct 1, 2022, 12:00:13 AM10/1/22
Absolutely! Good point.

>>> English is much better than some languages for literature
>>> poetry etc than some other much simpler languages.
>
>> Fair enough.

Rod Speed

Oct 1, 2022, 12:26:47 AM10/1/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 14:00:07 +1000, Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 07:35:49 +1000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Bimonthly is ever other month OR twice a month. It has both meanings.
>>>
>>> English is broken.
>>
>> Nope, just not as crude as some other simpler languages.

> At the very least that word is broken.

Not really, just ambiguous.

> And it’s not the only one.

Sure but languages with ambiguity work better for some stuff like jokes.

Snit

Oct 1, 2022, 1:19:29 AM10/1/22
Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 14:00:07 +1000, Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Nope, just not as crude as some other simpler languages.
>
>> At the very least that word is broken.
>
> Not really, just ambiguous.

Broken in the sense of being clear.

>> And it’s not the only one.
>
> Sure but languages with ambiguity work better for some stuff like jokes.

Yes. My first language is pun, so I get that.

Rod Speed

Oct 1, 2022, 2:53:54 AM10/1/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 15:19:23 +1000, Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 14:00:07 +1000, Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> At the very least that word is broken.
>>
>> Not really, just ambiguous.

> Broken in the sense of being clear.

Nothing broken about ambiguity, its useful.

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing
you to use ambiguous words. That is one of the
massive advantages of a complex language like
english, there are completely clear alternative
words available to use instead.

In this case, every 2 weeks or every 2 months.

>>> And it’s not the only one.

>> Sure but languages with ambiguity work better for some stuff like jokes.

> Yes. My first language is pun, so I get that.

Obvious lie, you first language was grunts.

Peeler

Oct 1, 2022, 3:31:52 AM10/1/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 04:00:07 GMT, Shit the git, the senile troll and
troll-feeding senile asshole, ALSO trolling as David Brooks, blathered
again:

> At the very least that word is broken.
>
> And it’s not the only one.

Found yet another troll to feed and to spread your shit incessantly in these
groups, senile shithead?

Peeler

Oct 1, 2022, 3:32:30 AM10/1/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 16:53:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rodent Speed:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID: <g4ihla...@mid.individual.net>

Peeler

Peeler

Oct 1, 2022, 3:34:15 AM10/1/22
On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 04:00:08 GMT, Shit the git, the senile troll and
troll-feeding senile asshole, ALSO trolling as David Brooks, blathered
again:

> Absolutely! Good point.

More absolutely useless senile shit from you, you constantly running toilet?

Peeler

Oct 1, 2022, 3:36:17 AM10/1/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 21:40:20 GMT, Shit the git, the senile troll and
troll-feeding senile asshole, ALSO trolling as David Brooks, blathered
again:

> Seems like a lot of effort with little return... and lots of drama.

Seems like you keep squeezing yet more of your well-known senile shit out of
your shit-filled senile head, Shit the Git!

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 1, 2022, 4:56:08 AM10/1/22
On 2022-09-30, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2022 at 12:52:13 PM MST, "Mark Lloyd" wrote
><NNHZK.528957$iiS8....@fx17.iad>:
>
>> On 9/29/22 20:18, Snit wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I would say it is ambiguous, much like bimonthly can be.
>>
>> "next Thursday" is ambiguous.
>>
>> "bimonthly" is twice a month. What else?
>
> Bimonthly is ever other month OR twice a month. It has both meanings.
>
> English is broken.

People are broken. We have a perfectly good word for twice a month--
semi-monthly--leaving bimonthly to connote every other month.

Just like semi-annual and biennial.

Dictionaries describe how we actually use language (even incorrectly)
rather than tell us how it should be used.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Commander Kinsey

Oct 1, 2022, 5:09:15 AM10/1/22
Yes, pushing them off a cliff is easier and more fun.

NY

Oct 1, 2022, 6:04:24 AM10/1/22
"Snit" <Brock.M...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Bimonthly is ever other month OR twice a month. It has both meanings.
>>>
>>> English is broken.
>>
>> Nope, just not as crude as some other simpler languages.
>>

> At the very least that word is broken.
>
> And it’s not the only one.

"Cleave" is a good example of a word that means two opposing things: either
it means to cut something into pieces (eg with a meat cleaver) or to
join/stick things together (a rarer meaning).

It is loading more messages.