Club is in Hiatus

Big K

Jan 25, 2011, 2:23:02 PM1/25/11
to ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Well, I'll keep it short and bitter ;-). (joke!)
For the past year+, we haven't had enough people to officially have a club. We've been given many chances to pull things together, but we've fallen short. So the club is in hiatus until further notice.

We will be starting a Karate class through Parks & Rec in the Summer, if you're interested in training.

Thanks to all of you who participated in our club. And also thanks to those of you who thought you would participate. ;-)

Cheers,

Kyle

Lisa B

Jan 31, 2011, 4:17:29 PM1/31/11
to UCSC Shotokan Karate Club
Out of curiosity, did the club have an official listing in the OPERS
activities book this year? In my freshman year, there was a listing in
that book for the club, and that is how I found you guys. If the club
wasn't shown in the OPERS book, that might be bad.

mem...@ucsc.edu

Aug 14, 2013, 12:20:19 PM8/14/13
to ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com
Hi my name is Maggie Munn and I don't exactly know who to contact for what I'm looking for. I currently train at a dojo in Southern California and I practice Okinawan Goju Ryu. I really want to continue my training while up at UCSC and I don't exaclty know how to get involved in your Shotokan Karate Club. I hope I'm talking to the right people and any help you can give me is much appreciated.
Thank you,
Maggie Munn

Kai Noeske

Aug 14, 2013, 5:13:49 PM8/14/13
to ucsc-shotokan-ka...@googlegroups.com, mem...@ucsc.edu, ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com, j...@jkasv.com
Dear Maggie,

To my knowledge (I departed UCSC years ago), the UCSC Shotokan club that we operated between 2004 and approx. 2010 is currently not active. I do not know whether there are currently any other Karate Clubs, Shotokan or any other style, at UCSC. Unless you have done so, I would encourage you to check the recreation program or ask at the recreation center to find out.

Jon Keeling Sensei (I Cc'ed him), who leads the JKA of Silicon Valley, is a great source of Karate information in the Bay Area.

For years, there was also a downtown Santa Cruz Karate group at the Louden Nelson center, in case there are no options at UCSC and you want something local. Not sure if they still exist, if not, chances are Santa Cruz has some other Karate group. Again, Jon Keeling probably knows which schools are good and reputable.

All best, Kai Noeske

------------------------------
Dr. Kai Noeske
ESA Staff Astronomer
Space Telescope Science Institute

3700 San Martin Dr        email: noe...@stsci.edu
Baltimore, MD 21218       phone: +1-410-338-4556
USA                       fax  : +1-410-338-5090
                         web  : http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~knoeske

Jon Keeling

Aug 14, 2013, 5:42:51 PM8/14/13
to Kai Noeske, ucsc-shotokan-ka...@googlegroups.com, mem...@ucsc.edu, ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if that Shotokan group that was operating downtown still exists. I forgot the instructor's name and can't seem to find any info on the web.

In Soquel, you should check out:
http://sanfordkarate.com/
http://mydojo.com/

I have quite a few people in my group that used to do Goju-ryu.  The 2 styles have their differences but are more similar than different.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Hopefully you can make it up to Silicon Valley at some point.

Good luck,

Jon Keeling
Silicon Valley Shotokan Karate
www.svkarate.com