So long, Jim Brown

Bob Jersey

May 20, 2023, 9:30:07 AM5/20/23
to TVorNotTV
The football hero, first in college at Syracuse, then in a record-smashing nine-year NFL career in Cleveland... then a prolific actor, breaking out in The Dirty Dozen but becoming an icon of Blaxploitation films along fellow ex-footballer Fred Williamson... last credited as a version of himself in the drama Draft Day with Kevin Costner in 2014. Thursday in L.A.; 87.

Brad Beam

May 20, 2023, 12:20:18 PM5/20/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
In a case of coincidence, Norah O’Donnell was off last night, so it was left up to tontine-winner James Brown (aka JB) to announce the passing on the CBS Evening News.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 20, 2023, at 09:30, 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

The football hero, first in college at Syracuse, then in a record-smashing nine-year NFL career in Cleveland... then a prolific actor, breaking out in The Dirty Dozen but becoming an icon of Blaxploitation films along fellow ex-footballer Fred Williamson... last credited as a version of himself in the drama Draft Day with Kevin Costner in 2014. Thursday in L.A.; 87.

Bob Jersey

May 20, 2023, 7:40:21 PM5/20/23
to TVorNotTV
I reported on the first time I'd seen JB do Evening News, on a weekend IIRC.  That probably wasn't the first time he'd been there either...

Brad Beam, to moi, May 20th:

Bob Jersey

May 20, 2023, 7:42:15 PM5/20/23
to TVorNotTV
Actually, it was... https://groups.google.com/g/tvornottv/c/AtmL_T2V9Gw/m/2Xxa02akYmIJ (web archive)      B

Moi, to Brad Beam, May 20th:

David Bruggeman

May 20, 2023, 8:02:37 PM5/20/23
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
(Warning - sidetrack)

In what was easily my most unexpected celebrity encounter while I lived in the DC area, JB came to the gym I went to in Silver Spring.  We exchanged small talk when I went to use a machine near him, and he was a real pleasant fellow.

David