Almost two years later, James Brown gets his chance...

Bob Jersey

Feb 15, 2014, 9:47:20 PM2/15/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The NFL Today host and Cornell alum was quietly plugged into the CBS Evening News Friday - to as-far-as-I-can-find no fanfare whatsoever. (No word of anything particular involving Pelley, either.)

Way back in March 2012, after interviewing beleaguered NFL star Michael Vick for 60 Minutes in 2009, West 57th named him a special correspondent and fill-in anchor for This Morning Saturday, and in a TVNewser piece expressed interest in one day being in the 6:30 east spot... tho it wasn't a priority at the time...

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/james-brown-on-his-cbs-news-role-i-would-like-to-think-there-will-be-no-limits_b114551

Kudos, JB.

PGage

Feb 16, 2014, 1:46:42 AM2/16/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
No offense to Cornell (my mother was a loyal alum, and spoke of Ithica as the most beautiful place in the US) but I always thought that Brown was a Harvard alum.

JW

Feb 16, 2014, 5:06:53 AM2/16/14
to tvornottv
> No offense to Cornell (my mother was a loyal alum, and spoke of Ithica as
> the most beautiful place in the US) but I always thought that Brown was a
> Harvard alum.

That's what I remember as well. I also think Brown sat in the Evening News anchor chair sometime around Christmas.

Brad Beam

Feb 16, 2014, 8:40:42 AM2/16/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

From: tvor...@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvor...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of PGage

>No offense to Cornell (my mother was a loyal alum, and spoke of Ithica as the most beautiful place in the US) but I always thought that Brown was a Harvard alum.

YACS.

http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/team/jbrown

Wikipedia does say that his roommate at Harvard was Cornel West, who of course would go on to work at Princeton.

_  _

|_>|_>  Brad Beam- Belle WV

|_>|_>  http://www.facebook.com/74bmw

PGage

Feb 16, 2014, 9:25:14 AM2/16/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

From: tvor...@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvor...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of PGage

>No offense to Cornell (my mother was a loyal alum, and spoke of Ithica as the most beautiful place in the US) but I always thought that Brown was a Harvard alum.

YACS.

http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/team/jbrown

Wikipedia does say that his roommate at Harvard was Cornel West, who of course would go on to work at Princeton.

Famous black guys from Ivy League schools for 600, Alex.

I did not know that about Brown and West.

Diner

Feb 16, 2014, 10:28:35 AM2/16/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

Just checked the forums on tvnewstalk.net ... apparently JB filled in for Pelley at least once before, around Christmastime. Someone there describes Brown as "basically a fourth-in-line sub."

Brown also did an excellent feature on CBS Sunday Morning this past September, interviewing the man who inadvertently ended up with MLK's copy of the "I Have a Dream" speech. All 7:40 of it is at http://www.cbsnews.com/news/guardian-of-history-mlks-i-have-a-dream-speech-lives-on/

-Tim

Bob Jersey

Feb 16, 2014, 11:48:53 AM2/16/14
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

I was in the right league. This is him on the right.

http://www.dcbasketball.com/images/harvard/004a.jpg

Joe Hass

Feb 16, 2014, 3:44:15 PM2/16/14
to TV Or Not TV
On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Diner <bway...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just checked the forums on tvnewstalk.net ... apparently JB filled in for Pelley at least once before, around Christmastime. Someone there describes Brown as "basically a fourth-in-line sub."

Which leads to the question: how many people would have to be out for Bob Costas to sit in BriWi's seat?