Character Stack Problems

Bernhard Schrems

Sep 25, 2007, 9:58:24 PM9/25/07
to tise-...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying Tise 1.9.9beta5 on OpenOffice 2.2 with the Jamolhari-alpha or TibetanMachineUniAlpha font. It performs quite well as long character stacks are not involved. Character stacks reveal some problems.

1.Character stacks are not composed of character fragments.
For example, when using the 'ra' as a superscript like in 'rta' the character stack is wrongly represented with the lower, horizontal arc of character 'ra'. Possibly, it would be better to pick out a 'ra' fragment without the lower, horizontal arc, when using it as a superscript. Of course, as a requisite, the font needs to contain such a 'ra' fragment character for being able to access it.
Another example is the use of a 'ga' with the subscript 'ya' like in 'gya'. Here, the vertical line on the right of the base character 'ga' is too long. Maybe, the font contains a clipped version of the 'ga' that could be used to represent the 'gya' stack with a proper vertical line length of the 'ga'.
2.Superscripts of character stacks are not properly scaled.
They should be significantly smaller than the base character.

Do you intend to solve these problems?

Best regards,
Bernhard.

Grigory Mokhin

Sep 25, 2007, 10:08:55 PM9/25/07
to tise-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Have you checked this thread -
http://groups.google.com/group/tise-devel/browse_thread/thread/898e49e963786c73
?

Do you have the Complex Layout Text option activated?

Regards,
Gregory

Kong in Lhasa

Oct 3, 2007, 2:25:40 PM10/3/07
to Tise Development
Your problem can probably be solved by updating the Uniscribe. You'll
need this .dll file.
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniscribe
And here: http://www.thdl.org/xml/showEssay.php?xml=/tools/fonts/unicode-explain-eng.xml&lng=eng

The second website has all the details for you if you want to display
Tibetan on your computer.

Hope this help.

> Ideal f r Modem und ISDN:http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer

Bernhard Schrems

Oct 14, 2007, 7:14:15 PM10/14/07
to tise-...@googlegroups.com
Respect,

Your hints helped a lot:
Updating Uniscribe and activating it solves character stack problems on Windows XP for OpenOffice.
Thank you very much.

How it works:
I am applying OpenOffice 2.2 on Windows XP Service Pack 2 and use Tise as input utility for Tibetan typing. Initially I falsely enabled OpenOffice's internal complex text layout CTL capability expecting to get the proper ligatures or character stacks. But character stacks were still wrongly displayed. However, enabling OpenOffice's internal CTL cannot be the remedy because Tise interferes on the low level keyboard API before entered characters are transferred to OpenOffice by Windows XP. The solution is to activate Uniscribe by selecting 'Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages' of the Windows XP Control Panel's 'Regional and Language Options' dialog. Uniscribe is the name of the Unicode Script Processor USP, which is Microsoft's rendering for Unicode encoded text and contained in the DLL USP10.DLL. My original DLL version did not provide Tibetan language support, but I were able to replace it with a newer one that provides Tibetan language support from a 'Microsoft VOLT 1.2' download. (This newer DLL is already bundled in Windows Vista.)

How to replace the USP10.DLL is detailed described in:
http://www.thdl.org/xml/showEssay.php?xml=/tools/fonts/unicode-explain-eng.xml&m=print

and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniscribe
gives an overview of the different DLL versions.

Best regards,
Bernhard.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------