Progress

Jonathon Duerig

Jul 19, 2011, 5:19:49 PM7/19/11
to Tile Factory
I've made some progress towards TF2. Take a look at the screenshot and
see if you can guess what it is. :)

http://imgur.com/WCbQp?full

-D

CJ

Jul 20, 2011, 6:08:46 PM7/20/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
That's one optimized solution. Anyway, when will it be available for beta testing? And when will you make the logo?

Jonathon Duerig

Jul 20, 2011, 6:22:47 PM7/20/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 4:08 PM, CJ <cjquin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's one optimized solution. Anyway, when will it be available for beta
> testing? And when will you make the logo?

I need to get to a point where the new save data structures are
finalized before I can start having people test it out.

I have now created a twitter account where I will post my progress:
http://twitter.com/#!/duerig

Also, the point of the screenshot wasn't the solution per se (I
grabbed that from the wiki). It was the fact that you could see it all
on one screen. I have made the game resizable. :)

Quick question. Current order for the new play menu is play, pause,
step, stop, fast, turbo. Fast = 2x speed, turbo = 8x speed. I'm not
completely happy with that arrangement, but not sure how to improve
it. Any ideas would be welcome.

-D

steve42

Jul 20, 2011, 6:52:42 PM7/20/11
to Tile Factory
On Jul 20, 11:08 pm, CJ <cjquinesp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's one optimized solution.

As I recall, it's the second-fastest published solution to
"Crown" (mine was here: http://groups.google.com/group/tile-factory/msg/8e229e10caeafd11
and produces a mosaic every 2 seconds compared with that one's mosaic
every 3.... although I'll acknowledge the other solution is much more
elegant! :p)

CJ

Jul 20, 2011, 11:07:43 PM7/20/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
I believe a small step button over a bigger pause button. And then a big play button, a slightly smaller fast, and a bigger turbo button. Also the stop button at the left most part.

Iván Nieto

Jul 21, 2011, 10:51:34 AM7/21/11
to Tile Factory
Besides being resizable, could it be possible to have different tile
sizes? Right now each tile is 32x32 pixels. Maybe an option for them
to be 24x24 or 16x16? Just a crude 'zoom out' feature.

About your question, fast and turbo can be combined into a 'go faster'
button. And maybe remove 'stop' and add a 'restart' button. Also, will
there be a "go back a step" button? And there could be things besides
button, like a slider to control speed. An order may be: restart, back
a step, play/pause, step. Pressing play it becomes pause and vice-
versa. And a slider to the bottom to control play speed, from normal
to turbo.

Also, there are cases when the solution is very long, and while
working on it, the first half is complete and you are working in the
later half. Having to wait for the first part to complete each time
you test the machine is very time-consuming. I think this have been
proposed: some way to say 'skip to this turn' that is remembered
between tests. Maybe a 'bookmark' button?

P.S.: don't forget keyboard shortcuts!

Jonathon Duerig

Jul 21, 2011, 10:59:53 AM7/21/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Iván Nieto <ivan.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Besides being resizable, could it be possible to have different tile
> sizes? Right now each tile is 32x32 pixels. Maybe an option for them
> to be 24x24 or 16x16? Just a crude 'zoom out' feature.

This is hard with my current implementation. And given the resizable
flash window, it won't be as necessary since you will be able to go
full-screen. The 'step backwards' has also been suggested before and
that is another hard one. It is only really possible if I keep history
which is complicated. Neebat did it for his game, but I'm not sure
that I'm that ambitious. :) I will more likely want to spend my time
improving other aspects.

> Also, there are cases when the solution is very long, and while
> working on it, the first half is complete and you are working in the
> later half. Having to wait for the first part to complete each time
> you test the machine is very time-consuming. I think this have been
> proposed: some way to say 'skip to this turn' that is remembered
> between tests. Maybe a 'bookmark' button?

This will be implemented with a 'breakpoint' part which you can use
for debugging. When it gets power, it pauses the simulation.

> P.S.: don't forget keyboard shortcuts!

I shan't.

CJ

Jul 22, 2011, 12:20:49 AM7/22/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com
TF2 is shaping up good. Am I one of the beta testers?

CJ

Jul 22, 2011, 12:20:52 AM7/22/11
to tile-f...@googlegroups.com