Refnotes plugin: Development version

Mohammad Rahmani

Apr 3, 2021, 3:22:48 PM4/3/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Refnotes is a plugin jointly developed with Mark S. Recently there were some requests to add features like different output styles and support for other reference types like conference papers, websites, theses, ...

I have pushed a beta version in a development branch on GitHub. Those interested can download and test. Feature requests, comments and feedback are welcome!

The 1.6.0 beta added some view templates to display bibtex entries.

Odin

Apr 4, 2021, 12:47:34 PM4/4/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad,

I looked around the new update of the plugin. I see that the default templated has code in it, but the others are empty. It isn't clear to me how to fill in the templates and/or create new templates for the plugin to use. How would I create a new template?

Mohammad Rahmani

Apr 4, 2021, 2:01:13 PM4/4/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Odin,
 Actually I am working on the update! I will add some more templates!
 The new design will simplify adding your own template. If you note when there is a missing template the default template is used.

 I will notify you here of a new update for testing!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad

Apr 5, 2021, 4:18:14 AM4/5/21
to TiddlyWiki

To use Tiddlywiki as reference manager, the best practice is to import the bibliographic libraries generated by other tools (manually or automatically).

The Tiddlywiki Bibtex plugin provides a deserializer that can convert bibliographic entries in .bib files into individual tiddlers.

There are sevarl good online tools to generate libraries of bibliographic data. Some simple and general purpose online tools are given below.

BibGuru

BibGuru generates citation and bibliographic data by searching and finding references including books, papers, websites, and other types. It is possible to manually enter the bibliographic data.

Mohammad Rahmani

Apr 5, 2021, 8:57:57 AM4/5/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Refnotes 1.6.1 beta is out there

Apr 5th, 2021
  • [FIXED] abbr macro support CamelCase term
  • [FIXED] abbreviation font style changed to normal
  • [FIXED] all inline styles removed and suitable classes were created
  • [FIXED] the css class for title in show footnotes changed to h2
  • [FIXED] all color settings were removed. It is planned to use the active color palette for some coloring
  • [FIXED] documentation improved
  • [NEW] more templates to display different bibtex entry types e.g books, websites,...
  • [NEW] bibliography table was added to show the library of bibtex entries. It uses Shiraz dynamic table
  • [NEW] process new bibtex entry button to tag new new entries to bibtex-entry and change the entry title and entry-type to lowercase

The implementation of different output style mainly APA7, Harward and numbered is planned for next steps.

Feedbacks and comments are welcome!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Odin

Apr 5, 2021, 1:05:50 PM4/5/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad!

Excited to see the development and looking forward to when I can test it!
Thanks for notifying us about bibguru. Such a quick way to generate bibtex files. I am going to fiddle it around into my workflow.

Mohammad Rahmani

Apr 6, 2021, 3:02:28 AM4/6/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Odin,
 You can always download the latest development version of Refnotes from https://github.com/kookma/TW-Refnotes/tree/development
See docs and packaged folder!

Here I have attached a latest demo wiki. Look at
demo/test-newRef
demo/bibtex/01 showrefsAPA

tiddlers and see how this beta version handles APA citation style (based on Andres) .
This beta version also distinguishes between different material types so it recognizes book, article and website!
I will add support for other material types!

My current plan is Refnotes support two citation styles APA 7 and Numbered.
I think it does not make sense to add many citation styles as code will get large and confusing!

@Springer
Please check and review if the this beta version addresses your previous requests

Best wishes
Mohammad

refnotes-1.6.1-beta-only for test.zip

Mohammad Rahmani

Apr 7, 2021, 10:35:08 AM4/7/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Refnotes 1.6.2 beta development version is available for testing

Release 1.6.2 beta

  • Apr 7th, 2021
  • [FIXED] citation for APA7 handles multiple authors references correctly
  • [NEW] Reference library at the sidebar
  • [NEW] Search and filter library items
  • [NEW] Stretchtext to show reference details (author list, year, title) in library (sidebar)
  • [NEW] Buttons to expand/collapse details of entry in library

Sidebar bibliography (Library)

img_59_chrome.png

Use stretchtext to show more details of a bibtex entry (reference)

img_60_chrome.png

Show all details / hide all details buttons

img_61_chrome.png

search in s specific field (bibtex-field like author ISBN, year, publisher, ...)

img_62_chrome.png

Drag and drop an item to cite!

img_63_chrome.png

Use shortcuts to cite!

img_64_chrome.png

and much more...

If you are not familiar with GitHub just go to the docs folder and download the beta wiki for the test! e.g. download the https://github.com/kookma/TW-Refnotes/blob/master/docs/index.html

Start it if you like it!

Best wishes
Mohammad

History Buff

Apr 9, 2021, 7:53:27 PM4/9/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad,

Are there any plans to be able to add citation references to a particular bibliographic entry? What I mean by that is say I'm referencing a book. There will be one bibliographic entry for the book. However, my research will cite many different pages from that book in different parts of a tiddler or different tiddlers entirely. I don't want a separate bibliographic entry for each page, but rather a reference to the single bibliographic entry for the book with a page number appended (or something like that). It's an easy ask, but may be complicated to implement. Any thoughts along those lines?

Thanks,

Damon

Mohammad Rahmani

Apr 10, 2021, 12:15:19 AM4/10/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
In Refnotes, the refs macro inserts citation. A book has a citation key (a tiddler title contains bibliographic data). The macro insert author (year) to cite the reference!
So, to this end there is no link to a certain page number. As long as you have that single citation key Refnotes always refer to that book and do not understand page number.

But you can duplicate that entry and add a page number for example in the title field. I will look in APA 7 standard (the one Refnotes uses now) to see if there is any recommendation for that.

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad Rahmani

Apr 10, 2021, 12:38:46 AM4/10/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Correction

The macro for citation is ref NOT refs.  In APA 7 I cannot see reference to certain book page, but Googling shows something like (author, year, pgae) like (Ruston J., 2004, p. 27)

I will investigate this!

Best wishes
Mohammad