Artwork for v5.2.0

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 13, 2021, 7:14:17 AM6/13/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
This is to announce our regular competition for the artwork for the next release of TiddlyWiki 5. The next release is planned to be called v5.2.0, which requires a little explanation.

We've bumped the minor version number because of a single very important change: for the first time in a decade, we're changing the format used to encode tiddlers into the HTML file.

The new format is based on JSON, making it much easier to develop tools that produce or consume TW5 standalone HTML files. While there is some limited backwards compatibility, the developers of many existing tools will need to make modifications to keep things working with v5.2.0.

Hence the version number change: it's intended to make every developer ask "Gosh, what could have changed to warrant such a big jump", and helps us to make sure that the news of the change is promulgated as widely and prominently as possible.

The change also brings one big improvement for all users: field names now have no restrictions on which characters can be used, and are case-sensitive so that "MyField" is a valid fieldname, and refers to a different field than "myfield" (just like tiddler titles). Finally, we can have fields called "⛄️".

These changes will be merged shortly, but in the meantime can be inspected here:

So, with that, back to the artwork competition. The task is to design the banner image that is shown on the splash screen and within the opening HelloThere tiddler. It is traditional for the artwork to reflect some of the changes in the new version.

The rules for the competition are:

* The version number (with the correct punctuation) must be clear and readable even when the banner is shown at a reduced size
* The image must be a PNG, JPEG or SVG of exactly 560x315 pixels
* The bottom 46 pixels will be obscured by the banner text “What’s new in 5.2.0” when it is displayed within HelloThere
* Feel free to enter an updated version of artwork that was a runner-up in a previous competition

Here are the posts about previous artwork competitions:

If you’ve got a great idea for the banner image, but don’t have the skills to produce finished artwork, do feel free to share your ideas in case somebody else would like to work on the artwork.

The competition will be open for a week, at which point if there is more than one submission I’ll set up a Google Form for voting.

Best wishes and many thanks,

Jeremy

Mat

Jun 13, 2021, 2:08:15 PM6/13/21
to TiddlyWiki
Freely naming of fields will be fantastic! It will give fields a much more prominent position because they can be used directly as connections to actual tiddlers. Great progress!

@Jeremy can the artwork treat the version number as 5.2 (i.e without .0 at end)? I don't have a particular idea but I imagine it will be easier to come up with ideas for fewer digits.

<:-)

Mat

Jun 13, 2021, 3:02:43 PM6/13/21
to TiddlyWiki
Oooh I just got two cool ideas! Anyone skilled, feel free to create:

First depends on if it is OK with "5.2" (see my previous question). Those two digits have a very similar shape! I think it should be possible to make some kind of mirror reflection to have one show the other.

Second idea uses that new feature with freely named fields. So the design idea is to simply make the string "TiddlyWiki 5.2.0" as a field! E.g the "TiddlyWiki 5" as the field name and the "2.0" as the field value. Should the garbage can that deletes the field be next to it?...

<:-)

springer

Jun 13, 2021, 3:23:15 PM6/13/21
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy and all,

I'm happy to host all entries again, in an easy-to-compare (and change palettes, etc.) dedicated TW:

-Springer

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 13, 2021, 4:13:44 PM6/13/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat

The artwork needs to show "v5.2.0" (including the "v"!), because there will  be a "v5.2.1" at some point, potentially quite soon, and it's important for everybody to be able to unambiguously distinguish the versions. Stated another way, this is not version '5.2', this is version '5.2.0'.

I'd also say that perhaps designs based on the shapes of the letters might be a bit generic. I think the opportunity is to try to capture what is in the release, not just the string of numbers we use to refer to it.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Mat

Jun 13, 2021, 4:25:44 PM6/13/21
to TiddlyWiki
Fair enuff!
<:-)

springer

Jun 13, 2021, 4:32:30 PM6/13/21
to TiddlyWiki
Here's a hasty concept-logo to kick things off, also visible at site: https://tw-logo-contest.tiddlyhost.com/#unleash-your-fields

unleash_your_fields.jpg

Saq Imtiaz

Jun 13, 2021, 4:35:34 PM6/13/21
to TiddlyWiki
It might be helpful to look at the release notes:

I am biased but I think visually the image drag and drop stuff in the editor stands out, so that could be an idea.

Mat

Jun 13, 2021, 5:14:53 PM6/13/21
to TiddlyWiki
Springer - brilliant!

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 13, 2021, 5:17:32 PM6/13/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

> I'm happy to host all entries again, in an easy-to-compare (and change palettes, etc.) dedicated TW:
>
> https://tw-logo-contest.tiddlyhost.com/

Thanks, much appreciated!

Best wishes

Jeremy

Mohammad Rahmani

Jun 13, 2021, 11:47:50 PM6/13/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Springer!

I love your artwork! very nice!

Minor comments:
1. Why not host the image on https://tw-logo-contest.tiddlyhost.com/#unleash-your-fields and why use dropbox?
2. I remember you have hosted artworks for 5.1.23, it is good to see them on https://tw-logo-contest.tiddlyhost.com/#unleash-your-fields
3. It is good to have https://tw-logo-contest.tiddlyhost.com/#unleash-your-fields for past and future artworks competitions all in one place this not only archive all previous efforts but also give ideas to other contributors

Best wishes
Mohammad

Message has been deleted

Darth Mole

Jun 14, 2021, 12:43:30 AM6/14/21
to TiddlyWiki
One of my attempts so far. Hope it isn't too off the mark!

Logo1.png

Darth Mole

Jun 14, 2021, 2:02:10 AM6/14/21
to TiddlyWiki
Here is another attempt based on what I read regarding a focus on fields.

Logo2.png

TW Tones

Jun 14, 2021, 3:37:25 AM6/14/21
to TiddlyWiki
Folks if Drag and Drop ia a key feature then what about a water drop and someone in drag?

:)

Tones

Eric Shulman

Jun 14, 2021, 6:04:12 AM6/14/21
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 12:37:25 AM UTC-7 TW Tones wrote:
Folks if Drag and Drop ia a key feature then what about a water drop and someone in drag?

Or perhaps a water drop and a fire-breathing giant reptile ("Dragon Drop")

-e

Mat

Jun 14, 2021, 9:28:41 AM6/14/21
to TiddlyWiki
Or perhaps a water drop and a fire-breathing giant reptile ("Dragon Drop")

Yeah! Or a dragon spouting water/drops! Just above the TiddlyWiki: 5.2.0 field thingy. That would make for a really cool and odd art work.
And it is even a super cool version name: "Dragon Drop"! (even if, admittedly, the drag'n drop we are discussing here is limited. It would be an even more suitable name for if tiddlers were freely movable)

<:-)

springer

Jun 14, 2021, 11:19:28 AM6/14/21
to TiddlyWiki
iamdar..., and all,

I'm sorry I don't know how to attribute an author name to your entries.

For anyone who posts entries here, it would be helpful to include (1) how you'd ilke your authorname to appear, and (2) name of entry.

I'll try to keep an eye out and update the site with entries, as they're shared here, at https://tw-logo-contest.tiddlyhost.com/

-Springer

springer

Jun 14, 2021, 11:21:38 AM6/14/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad,

All good suggestions! Though I usually don't embed images (and don't think tiddlyhost has file directories for such), these images are small, and presumably visitors would want to load them all anyway. So I've embedded each entry so far, and also set up an overview of the final entries from the 5.1.23 contest for inspiration and some sense of continuity:

Darth Mole

Jun 14, 2021, 11:49:05 AM6/14/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hello Springer and thank you for handling the entries. Please see below for my details.

First Entry-
Name: Assorted Swedish Tiddlers (like the Swedish Fish candy)
Author: IAmDarthMole

Second Entry-
Name: Assorted Swedish Tiddler Fields (original I know)
Author: IAmDarthMole

If I enter anymore I'll be sure to include the name and my name :)

Thanks again!

Message has been deleted

Frank Bruns-Ballhausen

Jun 14, 2021, 5:21:11 PM6/14/21
to TiddlyWiki
I have four ideas. The first two classic square. The last two with alternative borders.
But I think with a banner underneath the round variant does not look good...

entw1.png entw2.png
entw4.png  entw3.png

mwik...@gmail.com schrieb am Montag, 14. Juni 2021 um 19:43:20 UTC+2:
Inspired by Mat, here are my "Dragon Drop" entries on the "field" of a shield : ]

I am no artist but it is fun to share and practice my Inkscape skills and hopefully inspire someone with more talent than me. SVGs are available to anyone who wants them.

/Mike

springer

Jun 14, 2021, 5:33:08 PM6/14/21
to TiddlyWiki
Frank, I've added your designs to the collection at  https://tw-logo-contest.tiddlyhost.com/

If you'd like to add any descriptive titles, or author name beyond "Frank B", let me know.

-Springer

Mohamed Amin

Jun 15, 2021, 2:37:38 AM6/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi springer,

I like your idea a lot, please find below another variation (just a draft , change it as you like) it shows:
- The emoji field names (as per Jeremy's first post)
- Drag & Drop mentioned by Saq (text is from the release note)
- JSON

Selection_15Jun2021_082439.png

Mohammad Rahmani

Jun 15, 2021, 2:57:21 AM6/15/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, Jeremy Ruston

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 7:51 PM springer <springer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mohammad,

Hi Springer,

Many thanks for all your efforts!

@all
WOW, very exciting! I am really happy to see such an active community! I love you TiddlyWiki!

image.png

It would be great if you could decide on the name when you move from 5.1 to 5.2
at least I suggest using TW, or TW Platform, or TW framework,  instead of Tiddlywiki! Tiddlywiki is MuCh MoRe ThAn a wiki!

Best wishes
Mohammad

Jon

Jun 15, 2021, 3:29:06 AM6/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
I agree with Mohammad about the name change at some point . Apart from the wiki aspect, I think the diminutive associations of 'tiddly'  (and I know this bit has been discussed before)  are also in opposition to the grand scale of what TW can do.

Regards
Jon

Jeremy Ruston

Jun 15, 2021, 3:47:53 AM6/15/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you to everyone for the entries so far. I always enjoy these competitions, and I appreciate the effort everyone puts into their designs. And I love the spirit of cooperation and friendly competition.

I would like to make a couple of small steers that might improve the results:

First, I think many of the entries are a bit too complex. Have a look at tiddlywiki.com and check how small the artwork is displayed, particularly on mobile: you'll see it in the splash screen, and in the HelloThere tiddler. Many of the designs this time around have too much detail for an icon of this size. Have a look at the other artwork badges to see how simple they are in comparison to some of the entries here.

Second, I think there is too much textual content in many of the entries. Creating new slogans/taglines for TiddlyWiki is not part of the brief, and just takes up a lot of space. The artwork is designed to break the flow of a generally text-heavy site; packing more text into images makes things worse. The text that needs to be there is "v5.2.0". Adding "TiddlyWiki" is reasonable for the splash screen, but unnecessary within the HelloThere tiddler, so I would recommend that if you include the word it be smaller than the version number.

Third, I would suggest being very careful with visual puns. While they can be funny for the creator, they are often baffling for casual observers. This is an inclusive, broad community, and so we should aim to communicate clearly.

The core of the brief is to make a visual representation of the new release that includes the letters "v5.2.0". Next time, I'll take care to raise these points in the original post.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Michael Wiktowy

Jun 15, 2021, 9:27:52 AM6/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
Understood and agree, Jeremy.

I officially withdraw my submissions to avoid cluttering the vote but the SVG is available here under CC0 for anyone who wants to reuse it elsewhere:

/Mike

springer

Jun 15, 2021, 11:20:30 AM6/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy and all,

Apologies for starting the trend by cramming something like a feature-slogan into a caption field!

In addition, I recall that reducing file size, of anything that's bound to be handled frequently by servers, is a good aim. In the "dynamic table of images" you can see the file size for images.

I've removed my "busy" entries from the contest HelloThere tiddler, and swapped in some more minimal ones, such as the one below (though I'm still troubleshooting why I'm not achieving smaller sizes in png versions):

-Springer

hand-oval.png

springer

Jun 15, 2021, 12:45:36 PM6/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
Mohamed,

My reply to you is a bit late here... I wanted to acknowledge your thoughts about adding more graphic hints. In accord with Jeremy's note (posted since your message here), I've moved toward minimizing complexity as much as possible while hinting at both drag-and-drop and flexible field names. So, the hand-cursor has become my compromise for an easily-recognizable drag-and-drop clue that doesn't add much to the color palette and doesn't feel noisy at small scale.

Certainly, playing with graphics can be a fun rabbit-hole! But I confess I need to step away for a bit and get back to my day-job. :)

-Springer

Brian Radspinner

Jun 15, 2021, 1:02:57 PM6/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
I'll throw in my attempts...

5.2.0 banner.jpg5.2.0 banner alt.jpg

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 15, 2021, 1:11:31 PM6/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
... I think there is too much textual content in many of the entries. Creating new slogans/taglines for TiddlyWiki is not part of the brief, and just takes up a lot of space. The artwork is designed to break the flow of a generally text-heavy site; packing more text into images makes things worse. The text that needs to be there is "v5.2.0".

Totally agree. BUT, also 'v5.2.0'  is a kind of "jump" isn't it? What is I mean is, its slightly potentially more newish, hence the number?
A word slogan/flag pointing to that might not be so bad?

Just thoughts
TT

Darth Mole

Jun 15, 2021, 1:34:57 PM6/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
Here a third attempt, less small things. Hopefully those that remain won't be too obscure/hard to see. I wasn't able to really think of any other way to show "drag and drop"

Author: IAmDarthMole
Name: Drag n Drop JSON

Logo3.png

Darth Mole

Jun 15, 2021, 4:28:58 PM6/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
Ok, modified 3rd attempt, so technically 4th, with different/larger arrow and hand to hopefully be a bit more visible when smaller. Also added a border.

Author: IAmDarthMole
Name: Drag n Drop JSON LG

Logo4.png

TiddlyTweeter

Jun 15, 2021, 6:10:22 PM6/15/21
to TiddlyWiki
Ok, modified 3rd attempt ...

Author: IAmDarthMole
Name: Drag n Drop JSON LG

Logo4.png

I PERSONALLY THINK that is neat and semantic.
It kinda grasps that 5.2.0 up is a change.
Just saying, TT

Frank Bruns-Ballhausen

Jun 16, 2021, 5:22:18 PM6/16/21
to TiddlyWiki