[PLUGIN] Working on a new fullscreen editor, looking for feedback

JD

Jul 29, 2020, 8:49:27 AM7/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello everyone,

I was backtracking and saw some posts about my old Fullscreen editor plugin... Thank you for the appreciation!

...Found out some people were having trouble with it (I, myself, consider it inelegant), so I am in the process of developing a new one that uses TW5.1.22's features..

It's not yet packaged in a plugin, so I'd like for those interested to try it here:

(I have more notes about its development there)

Thanks guys

-jd

---

Legecy has moved here:

Saq Imtiaz

Jul 29, 2020, 9:27:17 AM7/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Cool stuff JD.

Some quick observations:
  • animations are cool, but maybe a config option to control duration or disable them?
  • perhaps don't show the dropdown to adjust margins etc when not in FS mode?
  • the slider for left/right gutter is hard to use since the container moves
  • perhaps something like the DualRangeWidget from https://saqimtiaz.github.io/sq-tw/sandbox.html could be handy to configure left/right and top/bottom separately
  • I haven't looked at the code but I imagine you're switching and restoring the edit template configured in $:/config/ui/EditTemplate, and if so this should work just as well if a custom edit template is specified.
Offtopic: If you have the time to spare I think we could benefit from your input here as well:

Cheers,
Saq

JD

Jul 29, 2020, 12:30:48 PM7/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for trying this out Saq!
  • animations are cool, but maybe a config option to control duration or disable them?
  • perhaps don't show the dropdown to adjust margins etc when not in FS mode?
Definitely! I'm going to use the core animation duration config for this, and thanks for the observation on dropdown usability!
  • the slider for left/right gutter is hard to use since the container moves
  • perhaps something like the DualRangeWidget from https://saqimtiaz.github.io/sq-tw/sandbox.html could be handy to configure left/right and top/bottom separately
The fact that the popup moves along with the tiddler width, i think, will make any horizontal movement clash with range widgets.. notice how the vertical gutters, perpendicular to the range widget, doesn't make the operation too awkward. I'm thinking of either turning this into  << and >> buttons with the changing value in between them, or first show the adjustment on a small preview and let the user apply or not. I'm leaning towards the first option hehe just because I'd like the operation to be instant.
  • I haven't looked at the code but I imagine you're switching and restoring the edit template configured in $:/config/ui/EditTemplate, and if so this should work just as well if a custom edit template is specified.
Yeah, I might make this independent of the current EditTemplate plugin I'm parallely developing it on... but I'm not too keen on it. I'm actually sort of hesitant to style core templates... chances are it'll interfere with other, more-important plugins, like how StoriesPlugin needs compatibility styling with my themes. Anyway, I still might. hehe. I guess the last barrier will be how I don't much like the looks of the core EditTemplate and so would like to limit the time I use it or test for it

Offtopic: If you have the time to spare I think we could benefit from your input here as well:
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/4765

I noticed a strangeness in the method I tried! Please do check out my reply there.

Thanks again!

-jd

Saq Imtiaz

Jul 29, 2020, 12:48:15 PM7/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
@JD

Yeah, I might make this independent of the current EditTemplate plugin I'm parallely developing it on... but I'm not too keen on it. I'm actually sort of hesitant to style core templates... chances are it'll interfere with other, more-important plugins, like how StoriesPlugin needs compatibility styling with my themes. Anyway, I still might. hehe. I guess the last barrier will be how I don't much like the looks of the core EditTemplate and so would like to limit the time I use it or test for it

I hear you, I go out of my way to never have to use the default EditTemplate.

 In terms of usability of your plugin, if it works with whatever EditTemplate the user may have setup, that would be a huge plus as many have customized their templates.

Personally I think it would be acceptable if going to fullscreen mode switched to your custom edit template and back, but otherwise whatever template was specified by the user in $:/config/ui/EditTemplate was active. So for someone that always wanted to use your custom edit template, that would also be possible.

Atronoush

Jul 29, 2020, 3:37:09 PM7/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
JD,

 This is brilliant!

You know TW 5.1.23 is under the way and has more cool stuff! Among them the support for keyboard for selecting items in search and tag pill.
 Why not to use also these features and develop your tools on TW 5.1.23pre!

  For example in FS one can work just with keyboard independent from mouse clicks!

Atro

Mat

Jul 29, 2020, 4:17:14 PM7/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
JD, thanks for sharing!

Detail: IMO the down-arrow should be to the right of the tiddler to select, like in the native UI.

More importantly: Do you want feedback on the fullscreen editor or on the unconventional theme and palette of the site? IMO it is a mistake to blend things like this in demos because it makes it ambiguous what the "product" is. Or maybe you intend to include all of that in the plugin... which I would also consider a mistake. I like the fullscreen editor but I would never use that theme.

Very cool idea to put the tiddler tools ext to the editor tools like that. I've never seen, nor thought, of that and it works totally good.

<:-)

JD

Jul 29, 2020, 4:44:36 PM7/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the recommendation, Atro! Will definitely continue develoment of FS editor there! I should have from the get go, with all the amazing new keyboard and editting additions!

JD

Jul 29, 2020, 5:23:31 PM7/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat, thanks for the feedback!

If you mean the tag dropdown, then yeah I can see that to the right is the correct idea! Must have been the remnant of a previous design.

Oh! And yep! Just the fullscreen editor and the EditTemplate ^^, I've vanilla-ed the work site to make it clearer what's being presented for commenting! Thanks!

The plugin is actually focused on FS, with the custom edit template you see being the by-product of the want to toggle template segments without editting nor styling those of the core, nor those of other plugins.

Glad you like the buttons placement ^^, I find that in writing long texts I edit the title and tags fewer times than I use the toolbar.. And that I never want to lose sight of delete/discard/save

Thanks again!

-jd

TW Tones

Jul 29, 2020, 10:13:49 PM7/29/20
to TiddlyWiki
JD,

Feedback from the +10 UTC Time Zone,

This looks even more elegant than before.  My only questions would be
  • Can we use code mirror in the editor?
  • The ability to set a display filter on the edit button would be a nice feature
    • Default to all, but the designer could set it to something like [!is[system]] or [object-type[note]]
Very-nice.

Regards
Tony

TiddlyTweeter

Jul 31, 2020, 3:48:42 PM7/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao JD

Definite improvements. And looks nicer. FYI, I used the old experimental one ever since you made it. It makes sense to edit that way for anything other than "shortie" tiddlers.

The ONE request I have is to be able to configure it so that the behavior is .. EITHER ...
  • Full Screen (takes over the wiki)
OR
  • Full Screen in a NEW Tab/Window (runs parallel).
The later approach would allow more flex.

Best wishes
TT

JD

Jul 31, 2020, 9:08:05 PM7/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks TT!

I actually remembered you using this that's why this is one of the plugins I'm prioritizing to update. So, thanks for the comments! Will find a way to add this (i have little experience with opening new windows from tw).

-jd

JD

Jul 31, 2020, 9:12:25 PM7/31/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tony! Thank you for appreciating the looks! This is really how I'd want the editor toolbar to be styled.

I'll definitely add those configurables, thanks for the suggestion!

-jd

Saq Imtiaz

Aug 1, 2020, 5:10:00 AM8/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
@JD some more feedback:
  • aesthetically I understand the design of the toggle bars (buttons) for the editor segements. However, they need greater affordance as to the functionality provided there, it isn't intuitive enough and make this unsuitable for use in a wiki meant to be used by people unfamiliar with this editor. A small arrow/chevron icon or similar would help.
  • the toggle bars are also too thin to tap reliably on mobile, especially if you have the title and the toolbar collapsed.
  • the experience of typing a tiddler title is very jarring as the input doesn't resize until after you finish typing, so you end up typing blind.
  • the tiddler toolbar buttons need to be better differentiated from the editor toolbar buttons. Something subtle like a different background color or different icon styling would do the trick.
Hope this helps,
Saq

E Browns

Aug 1, 2020, 9:39:50 AM8/1/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Saq!

Thank you, those are really important ideas!

After a while using, I did become annoyed at the toggles and how they didn't achieve the kind of simplicity in interaction and looks as I was hoping for.

I am also going to return the editButtons up top, because with a narrower frame, they cause the editor toolbar buttons to bunch together and make it all feel unbalanced.

Also, yeah I realized while using it that the titlebar is acting strangely! I'll have to find a better method for the effect I want.

Thanks for those valuable thoughts!

-jd

Saq Imtiaz

Aug 1, 2020, 10:02:14 AM8/1/20
to TiddlyWiki
@JD no worries. Very happy to see you exploring alternative UX ideas for a much ignored aspect of TW (the edit template).

In case you haven't seen it, some UI fiddling of mine here that might inspire some ideas:

danraymond

Oct 19, 2020, 12:46:24 AM10/19/20
to TiddlyWiki
Jd;

How close are you to the revised full screen editor? Getting very excited. Have played with the work in progress, like it very much!