December meeting - input needed

Ash Moran

Nov 23, 2011, 2:39:18 PM11/23/11
to systhi...@googlegroups.com, Ian Ibbotson
Hi all

The Systems Thinking Sheffield group has been dormant since March as I've not been in the area, and everybody else has been too busy to organise a meeting. I'm back in Sheffield for at least December, and the GIST Lab has some space free, so it's now possible to organise a meeting. There are two things to decide: the date, and the session content.

Available dates:

* 1st Dec (Thursday)
* 5th Dec (Monday)
* 6th Dec (Tuesday)
* 15th Dec (Thursday)

Session ideas

* Systems Thinking Playbook games

I have a copy of the Systems Thinking Playbook[1] which contains loads of games that illustrate systems thinking concepts. They range from the simple to the complex, and cover a lot of topics (mental models, reinforcing and balancing loops, interconnections etc). I ran a few at Agile Staffordshire[2] and I did one at BarCamp Blackpool. They are good fun and always get a discussion going.

* getKanban

I've also got a copy of the getKanban board game[3]. This is a game to simulate product development, with limited work in process and pull, and variation simulated by dice. The aim of the game is to make as much money as possible by delivering features to a subscription website. I ran this at Limited WIP Society Manchester this month[4] (no photos up yet though) and it also went down well. The instructions say it works for up to 8 people - we made it work with 10 or so, but it might not stretch to more unless everyone there is really interested in it.

* Other ideas?

I'm open to other suggestions if anyone wants to run a session - hopefully I'll be back in Sheffield again before too long and I could run either of these next year.

FEEDBACK NEEDED!

Please let me know if you're interested in attending, and if so…

(a) Do you have any strong feelings about any of the dates? (Any you prefer, any you really can't make)

(b) Do you have any strong feelings about the session ideas, or would you attend any / only one?

I'll try to accommodate as many people as possible, but hopefully we'll have another meeting early 2012 too.

Cheers
Ash

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Systems-Thinking-Playbook-Exercises-Capabilities/dp/1603582584/
[2] http://agilestaffordshire.org/?p=85
[3] http://www.getkanban.com/
[4] http://www.meetup.com/Limited-WIP-Society-Manchester/events/40383082/

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ashmoran

Gino Franco

Nov 24, 2011, 9:14:56 AM11/24/11
to systhi...@googlegroups.com, Ian Ibbotson
You may want to attend our next event - see attached

Regards

Gino

Gino Franco
Programme Leader MBA Part-Time
Admin Lead Systems Thinking and Organisational Change Research Group
Room N511
Faculty of Business, Computing and Law
University of Derby
Kedleston Rd
Derby DE22 1GB

Tel 01332 591861
g.fr...@derby.ac.uk

Thinking about studying for an MBA? See how our Chartered Management Institute accredited programme can help you www.derby.ac.uk/dbs/mba-cmi

For information on our Postgraduate Business Masters Programmes please go to www.derby.ac.uk/dbs/pg

[...]

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic. If you believe this email was sent to you in error, please notify the sender and delete this email. Please direct any concerns to Inf...@derby.ac.uk.

Sytoc Event Poster - Jan' 2012 v2-TRK.doc

Edward Saxton

Nov 27, 2011, 12:59:24 PM11/27/11
to systhi...@googlegroups.com

> Please let me know if you're interested in attending, and if so�

> (a) Do you have any strong feelings about any of the dates? (Any you prefer, any you really can't make)

I can make the 1st and 6th - no preference but can't do the 5th and 15th.

> (b) Do you have any strong feelings about the session ideas, or would you attend any / only one?

Both the session ideas look good too me.

> I'll try to accommodate as many people as possible, but hopefully we'll have another meeting early 2012 too.
>
> Cheers
> Ash

Cheers
Ed

Robert Burrell Donkin

Nov 28, 2011, 6:30:02 AM11/28/11
to systhi...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Edward Saxton <edd...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 23/11/2011 19:39, Ash Moran wrote:
>>
>> Hi all

Ash :-)

>> The Systems Thinking Sheffield group has been dormant since March as I've
>> not been in the area, and everybody else has been too busy to organise a meeting.
>> I'm back in Sheffield for at least December, and the GIST Lab has some space free, so it's now possible to
>> organise a meeting.

Great (this has been on my mind for a while)

<snip>

>> Available dates:
>>
>> * 1st Dec (Thursday)
>> * 5th Dec (Monday)
>> * 6th Dec (Tuesday)
>> * 15th Dec (Thursday)

>> (a) Do you have any strong feelings about any of the dates? (Any you
>> prefer, any you really can't make)
>

> I can make the 1st and 6th - no preference but can't do the 5th and 15th.

I have no strong preferences

>> (b) Do you have any strong feelings about the session ideas, or would you
>> attend any / only one?
>
> Both the session ideas look good too me.

+1

>> I'll try to accommodate as many people as possible, but hopefully we'll
>> have another meeting early 2012 too.

:-)

SystemsThinkingSheff@AgileYorkshire component sounds like it'd be
doable, perhaps quarterly in addition to GIST lab sessions

Robert

BTW (shameless plug)
I'm now able[1] to offer a number of one-day sessions for charity. The
full details blogged at http://itstechupnorth.me.uk
[1] My computer time has now recovered to over 8 hours a day :-)

Ash Moran

Nov 28, 2011, 4:01:01 PM11/28/11
to systhi...@googlegroups.com

On 28 Nov 2011, at 11:30, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

>> I can make the 1st and 6th - no preference but can't do the 5th and 15th.
>
> I have no strong preferences

The first is this week so that's a bit short notice. Tuesday the 6th is still clear so let's go with that.

>>> (b) Do you have any strong feelings about the session ideas, or would you
>>> attend any / only one?
>>
>> Both the session ideas look good too me.
>
> +1

On the basis that (a) there's no strong preference, (b) I'm quite busy and (c) everybody likes playing board games at Christmas, let's go with getKanban. We can save the systems thinking games from the Playbook until next year when I've got a bit more time to prepare.

Also, Martin came up with a good suggestion[1]:

> Howabout discussion session@SysThinkSheff #gistlab on most influential Systems thinker, and why? I advocate Donella Meadows

This gave me the idea if we had enough time to prepare a few of us could do intros on influential thinkers, which would be good way to share knowledge and maybe make the group more accessible (at the first meeting, not everyone recognised names like Meadows, Deming, Goldratt etc). Again, something to save for next year.

I'll make another preliminary announcement on Twitter, follow here if you're not already!

https://twitter.com/systhinksheff

Cheers
Ash

[1] https://twitter.com/#!/martinwass/status/141071818483175424