You're invited! Bike Tour of West Hills Neighborhood/Marys Annexation

Steve Starcevich

Mar 30, 2023, 10:53:34 PM3/30/23
to sustainable-corvallis-transportation, Land Use Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition, Corvallis Vision Zero, mvbc-a...@googlegroups.com
Greetings everyone,
Join us for a tour of the largest single development in Corvallis in over a decade. Here are the key details:
  • TAT Bike Tour: West Hills Neighborhood/Marys Annexation
  • Date & Time: Saturday, April 8, 11 AM
  • Meet up location: Winter Farmer’s Market at the Benton County Fairgrounds (south entrance/gravel parking lot)
  • Tour guide: Daniel Wood, president of the West Hills Neighborhood Association
The 118-acre parcel, annexed to Corvallis in 2021, could add 1000-2000 housing units to the West Hills neighborhood. We will learn about the housing development, the mind-blowing 53rd Street overcrossing, Dunawi Creek and wetlands, the planning process for the SW West Hills Road Corridor Plan, and the multimodal street and intersection designs needed to safely accommodate growth and prioritize active transportation.

Public meetings coming soon – Now is a good time to learn about growth and development in Corvallis and get involved in the public planning process.

MAP - The 2.5-mile tour will include stops along the 53rd St. path, Willow Ave, West Hills Road & 53rd St. roundabout, West Hills Road near SW Timian St., 35th St., and a final stop at the end of SW Sagebrush Drive.
West Hills map.png
SAFETY - Some sections of the tour will pose some danger to people bicycling: for example, the 53rd path has many driveway crossings and West Hills Road has narrow unprotected bike lanes and areas with poor visibility. We also will encounter distracted drivers and unsafe vehicle speeds. We hope to be a big visible group, but please charge up your bike lights and consider wearing hi-vis clothing on the tour.

We expect the tour to take around two hours. All micromobility devices are welcome.

Cheers, Steve
Steve Starcevich (he/him) |541-602-1265
Transportation Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

Steve Starcevich

Apr 7, 2023, 1:43:15 AM4/7/23
to sustainable-corvallis-transportation, Land Use Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition, Corvallis Vision Zero, mvbc-a...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Wood, David Eckert
Greetings again,
Just a little reminder about the tour this Saturday - it is full speed ahead!

Come a little early and stock on supplies for the tour at the final Winter Farmer's Market. As stated below, we'll meet at the ticket booth at the south entrance around 11am. One new happy detail: Dave Eckert, leader of the coalition's Water Action Team, will likely be at the first stop to tell us a little about Dunawi Creek and wetlands.

One request: We'd like to get a rough tour count. If you are planning on coming on the tour, please respond to this email (but please don't Reply All, reply only to me).

I put together a little presentation of the route, some of the highlights, maps, and links to information. Feel free to download this pdf to your phone, it might be nice to look at during the tour.

Take care, Steve

On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 7:53 PM Steve Starcevich <stevenst...@gmail.com> wrote:
Greetings everyone,
Join us for a tour of the largest single development in Corvallis in over a decade. Here are the key details:
  • TAT Bike Tour: West Hills Neighborhood/Marys Annexation
  • Date & Time: Saturday, April 8, 11 AM
  • Meet up location: Winter Farmer’s Market at the Benton County Fairgrounds (Ticket booth at south entrance/gravel parking lot)
  • Tour guide: Daniel Wood, president of the West Hills Neighborhood Association
Bike Tour of Marys Annex and SW West Hills Road.pdf