Next up: H. P. Lovecraft - Short Fiction

584 views
Skip to first unread message

Robin Whittleton

unread,
Mar 1, 2018, 5:22:47 PM3/1/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
We don’t have any Lovecraft yet on SE, and that should probably be rectified. Looking at Gutenberg, it’s a little light, but it has a few (including strangely some post-1923 ones, lapsed copyright renewal?):

The Alchemist (1916)
A Reminiscence of Dr. Samuel Johnson (1917)
The White Ship (1919)
Nyarlathotep (1920)
Ex Oblivione (1921)

The Dulwich Horror (1929)

The Shunned House (1937)

There’s a comprehensive bibliography at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft_bibliography , and Wikisource seems to have most of the rest of the pre-1923 words, for example https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Cats_of_Ulthar . So I figure I could take the GB texts, then comb Wikisource for anything else pre-1923 and check for sources. Anything that’s a short story and has scans can go in, and the Wikipedia bibliography can determine ordering based on year of publishing.

Sound like a plan?

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 1, 2018, 5:41:07 PM3/1/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Lovecraft is not US PD. Actually I have his whole short fiction already produced but it cannot be released at this time. The copyright history is complex and theres even research done on it.

Robin Whittleton

unread,
Mar 1, 2018, 6:00:07 PM3/1/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I probably should have guessed. OK! Was waiting until the weekend to start so no harm done, will think of something else :)
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to standar...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/standardebooks.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E6AFDF4B-BD2A-4F0D-8AFC-C6D82312D34E%40standardebooks.org.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 1, 2018, 6:43:09 PM3/1/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Actually now that I look at that list, it looks like PG has more transcriptions than when I looked last. Last time I checked they only had like 1 or 2. So maybe now's a good time to get a basic Lovecraft short fiction out there after all. Like I said I already have them all ready to go.

IIRC the main problem was that PG was unable to locate copies of the 1st edition shorts. They are frequently republished, but in edited form, which PG was hesitant to host. Maybe they finally started finding 1st editions.

Also the copyright history is really ridiculous. I think a researcher finally concluded that they are most likely all PD but we may not be able to ever be certain until orphan work legislation happens.

On March 1, 2018 5:22:37 PM GMT-05:00, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net> wrote:

Jared Updike

unread,
Mar 1, 2018, 8:06:33 PM3/1/18
to Standard Ebooks
Ha! I spent a week or so going down the rabbit hole last summer trying to track down HPL's short fiction in a way that hopefully SE could make use of (and so I could read it chronologically in the right order), but the copyright stuff is super fuzzy and the only solid copyrights would require original scans of the original documents (issues of Weird Tales) in order to have proof of out-of-copyright status:

- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11RGuTztG5LzOfpOtchkjcuQhwkHShhE7PZL_bs4ygwg/edit?usp=sharing

It all started when I thought to myself: "Cthulhu and Lovecraft are part of the culture. I should really read some H. P. Lovecraft, surely there is a definitive edition or a small series of books that have all of it in one place, like for Sherlock Holmes, etc." No. It is all a mess. There are hard-cover physical editions for sale on Amazon that simply published the stories in alphabetical order (!) which I thought was ridiculous. I too would love to read it all, chronologically, in an ebook some day. US Copyright = :-(

Sad that Alex has it available but because of Copyright shenanigans, no one else can enjoy it all without going through the same arduous task of producing it themselves!

  Jared.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Apr 3, 2018, 7:51:52 PM4/3/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com

OK I've gone ahead and released the ones I produced that are in this list.

I excluded "Samuel Johnson" because it seemed to be a super-short outlier to his usual horror stuff.

Lovecraft is obviously super popular, so if any of you want to contact PGDP about doing raw transcriptions for them please do so. IIRC the difficult was in finding first editions of the pulps he was published in. That would be some good ebay/thrift/used bookstore work.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to standar...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/standardebooks.

Robin Whittleton

unread,
Apr 4, 2018, 12:48:32 AM4/4/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Oh great! I was expecting those to languish in development hell.

Robin Whittleton

unread,
Apr 13, 2018, 3:58:07 PM4/13/18
to Standard Ebooks
One quick query: the colophon and imprint only link to a single scan - is this intentional? I ask cos I’m in a similar situation with Conan. Same with the dc:source scan links in content.opf actually.

On 4 Apr 2018, at 01:51, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:

Alex Cabal

unread,
Apr 13, 2018, 4:15:07 PM4/13/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Yeah usually when there's more than one scan source from the same site, I just pick the first one for the colophon instead of listing every single scan. For some books, like Chekhov's short fiction, listing them all would be exhausting

Mike Bennett

unread,
Jun 22, 2019, 6:23:12 PM6/22/19
to Standard Ebooks
Hey Alex, you mentioned in this thread that you have all of Lovecraft's stories ready to go but are waiting on more definitive proof of its status in the public domain. Recently a bunch of scans of Weird Tales were uploaded to the Internet Archive, though many of the stories printed in the early editions of the pulp were reprints of stories he had published in other magazines.

In 1923, we have Dagon, which should constitute enough proof to be able to include in our collection.

And when 2020 rolls around in six months and 1924 becomes PD, there's The Hound, Imprisoned With The Pharaohs (byline is Houdini but Lovecraft ghost wrote it), The Rats in the Walls, Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family (published as The White Ape here which apparently annoyed Lovecraft), The Picture in the House, and a poem called To A Dreamer which probably shouldn't be included in a collection of short stories but hey here it is.

And that's just 1923 and 1924. He published most of his work in Weird Tales, and now most of it is scanned and online. Not sure how useful this is, but hopefully it gives us the confidence to expand our collection.

Thanks,
~Mike

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 1:15:07 PM UTC-7, Alex Cabal wrote:

Yeah usually when there's more than one scan source from the same site, I just pick the first one for the colophon instead of listing every single scan. For some books, like Chekhov's short fiction, listing them all would be exhausting


On 04/13/2018 02:57 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
One quick query: the colophon and imprint only link to a single scan - is this intentional? I ask cos I’m in a similar situation with Conan. Same with the dc:source scan links in content.opf actually.
On 4 Apr 2018, at 01:51, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:

OK I've gone ahead and released the ones I produced that are in this list.

I excluded "Samuel Johnson" because it seemed to be a super-short outlier to his usual horror stuff.

Lovecraft is obviously super popular, so if any of you want to contact PGDP about doing raw transcriptions for them please do so. IIRC the difficult was in finding first editions of the pulps he was published in. That would be some good ebay/thrift/used bookstore work.


On 03/01/2018 04:22 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
We don’t have any Lovecraft yet on SE, and that should probably be rectified. Looking at Gutenberg, it’s a little light, but it has a few (including strangely some post-1923 ones, lapsed copyright renewal?):

The Alchemist (1916)
A Reminiscence of Dr. Samuel Johnson (1917)
The White Ship (1919)
Nyarlathotep (1920)
Ex Oblivione (1921)

The Dulwich Horror (1929)

The Shunned House (1937)

There’s a comprehensive bibliography at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft_bibliography , and Wikisource seems to have most of the rest of the pre-1923 words, for example https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Cats_of_Ulthar . So I figure I could take the GB texts, then comb Wikisource for anything else pre-1923 and check for sources. Anything that’s a short story and has scans can go in, and the Wikipedia bibliography can determine ordering based on year of publishing.

Sound like a plan?
-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standar...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to standar...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/standardebooks.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/etPan.5a987d2d.38d1bb3e.74fc%40reala.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standar...@googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standar...@googlegroups.com.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Jun 23, 2019, 5:27:41 PM6/23/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great! I'd love to include Dagon in our existing compilation. The first
step is to get a transcription going, which shouldn't be too tough as
it's a short one. Anyone interested in taking it on?

On 6/22/19 5:23 PM, Mike Bennett wrote:
> Hey Alex, you mentioned in this thread that you have all of Lovecraft's
> stories ready to go but are waiting on more definitive proof of its
> status in the public domain. Recently a bunch of scans of Weird Tales
> were uploaded to the Internet Archive, though many of the stories
> printed in the early editions of the pulp were reprints of stories he
> had published in other magazines.
>
> In 1923, we have Dagon
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV02N03192310/page/n23>, which
> should constitute enough proof to be able to include in our collection.
>
> And when 2020 rolls around in six months and 1924 becomes PD, there's
> The Hound <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV03N02192402/page/n49>,
> Imprisoned With The Pharaohs
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTales1924050607ATLPM/page/n3> (byline
> is Houdini but Lovecraft ghost wrote it), The Rats in the Walls
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV03n03192403/page/n25>, Facts
> Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV03n04192404/page/n15> (published
> as The White Ape here which apparently annoyed Lovecraft
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facts_Concerning_the_Late_Arthur_Jermyn_and_His_Family#Publishing_history_and_possible_influences>),
> The Picture in the House
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV03N01192401/page/n39>, and a
> poem called To A Dreamer
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV04N03192411/page/n54> which
> probably shouldn't be included in a collection of short stories but hey
> here it is.
>
> And that's just 1923 and 1924. He published most of his work in Weird
> Tales, and now most of it is scanned and online. Not sure how useful
> this is, but hopefully it gives us the confidence to expand our collection.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Mike
>
> On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 1:15:07 PM UTC-7, Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> Yeah usually when there's more than one scan source from the same
> site, I just pick the first one for the colophon instead of listing
> every single scan. For some books, like Chekhov's short fiction,
> listing them all would be exhausting
>
>
> On 04/13/2018 02:57 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
>> One quick query: the colophon and imprint only link to a single
>> scan - is this intentional? I ask cos I’m in a similar situation
>> with Conan. Same with the dc:source scan links in content.opf
>> actually.
>>
>>> On 4 Apr 2018, at 01:51, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>>>> it, send an email to standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
>>>> To post to this group, send email to standar...@googlegroups.com
>>>> <javascript:>.
>>>> Visit this group
>>>> at https://groups.google.com/group/standardebooks
>>>> <https://groups.google.com/group/standardebooks>.
>>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/etPan.5a987d2d.38d1bb3e.74fc%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>>>
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>>> Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>>> send an email to standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
>>> To post to this group, send email to standar...@googlegroups.com
>>> <javascript:>.
>>> <https://groups.google.com/group/standardebooks>.
>>> To view this discussion on the web
>>> visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ffb78273-7bbb-be3d-6478-3745276e931a%40standardebooks.org
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ffb78273-7bbb-be3d-6478-3745276e931a%40standardebooks.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>> send an email to standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
>> To post to this group, send email to standar...@googlegroups.com
>> <javascript:>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/group/standardebooks>.
>> To view this discussion on the web visit
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/B8C17123-3E57-42C5-9D19-638FBDE961E0%40reala.net
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/B8C17123-3E57-42C5-9D19-638FBDE961E0%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b856e43a-090c-4515-9802-69df0159724a%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b856e43a-090c-4515-9802-69df0159724a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.


Message has been deleted

Jason Bell

unread,
Jun 24, 2019, 8:27:38 AM6/24/19
to Standard Ebooks
Transcription attached.
Dagon.txt

Alex Cabal

unread,
Jun 29, 2019, 1:12:13 PM6/29/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I'm not going to have time to do much of this in the coming week. If
anyone wants to proofread this and add it to the existing ebook, please
feel free to open a pull request against the book. It's very short and
you could probably knock it out in an hour. Otherwise I'll see if I
have time the week after next.

On 6/24/19 7:27 AM, Jason Bell wrote:
> Transcription attached.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0903a144-c906-4651-9b27-95c06aaa8aa4%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0903a144-c906-4651-9b27-95c06aaa8aa4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason Bell

unread,
Jun 29, 2019, 2:21:39 PM6/29/19
to Standard Ebooks
There are a few mistakes that I am aware of:

Lline 14, last sentence: "having" should be "heaving"
Wrong: But neither ship nor land appeared, and I began to despair in my solitude upon the having vastness of unbroken blue.
Right: But neither ship nor land appeared, and I began to despair in my solitude upon the heaving vastness of unbroken blue.

Lines 26 and 67 end with a <p> tag; should be a </p> tag.

Line 71, last sentence: "fo" should be "of".


I've attached a new .txt file with the above corrections (and with straight quotes/apostrophes with the Unicode versions).

Also note that I put a comment in the last sentence of line 34 (begins with <!--jbell); the word "know" appears in the original article's text, but I think it should have been "known"

Dagon.txt

Alex Cabal

unread,
Jul 7, 2019, 2:39:10 PM7/7/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have time to proof this and add it to the ebook? It's really short so it shouldn't take long!

Evan Hall

unread,
Jul 7, 2019, 10:52:42 PM7/7/19
to Standard Ebooks
Sure, I'll take a look.


On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 1:39:10 PM UTC-5, Alex Cabal wrote:
Does anyone have time to proof this and add it to the ebook? It's really short so it shouldn't take long!

Evan Hall

unread,
Jul 8, 2019, 1:24:50 AM7/8/19
to Standard Ebooks
Okay, I added Dagon, proofread it (Dagon only) and submitted a pull request. I caught and corrected a couple more minor typos in the transcription, but overall it looked great.

Here are a few notes. Let me know if you have any questions.
• I put this between The Alchemist and Samuel Johnson, per the publication dates on wikipedia and Jared's spreadsheet from earlier in this email chain.
• I added Jason Bell to the content.opf and colophon as another transcriber.
• I added myself to the content.opf and colophon as another producer.
• I didn't add the new page scan URL anywhere, since it didn't look like there was a separate one for every story.
• I agree with the change that Jason noted (know->known) and made that change as an editorial commit.
• I also made an editorial commit to insert a hyphen into "Polyphemus-like", it being a compound adjective.

Let me know if you have any other comments on reviewing. This is my first time adding a short story to an existing ebook. I pretty much just followed the step-by-step guide and skipped the parts that weren't necessary.

Evan.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Jul 8, 2019, 8:40:26 PM7/8/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, this is now released. Thanks everyone!
> *Lline 14*, last sentence: "having" should be "heaving"
>
> Wrong: But neither ship nor land appeared, and I began to
> despair in my solitude upon the having vastness of unbroken
> blue.
>
> Right: But neither ship nor land appeared, and I began to
> despair in my solitude upon the heaving vastness of unbroken
> blue.
>
> *Lines 26 and 67* end with a <p> tag; should be a </p> tag.
>
> *Line 71*, last sentence: "fo" should be "of".
>
>
> I've attached a new .txt file with the above corrections
> (and with straight quotes/apostrophes with the Unicode
> versions).
>
> Also note that I put a comment in the last sentence of line
> 34 (begins with <!--jbell); the word "know" appears in the
> original article's text, but I think it should have been "known"
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/782cce3c-4cd2-459e-b220-902c49c6292b%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/782cce3c-4cd2-459e-b220-902c49c6292b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.


Jason Bell

unread,
Jul 9, 2019, 8:35:39 AM7/9/19
to Standard Ebooks
Lookin' good, but hey guess what?  I found some more typos:

23 -in any abyss
   +in an abyss

24 -yet now without
   +yet not without

26 -Bulwer, the were
   +Bulwer, they were

27 -musing whilst
   +musing, whilst

Think I must've been over-caffeinated that day.  I opened a pull request for corrections.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Jul 9, 2019, 11:27:42 AM7/9/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f64b7613-1c9c-4864-bbd4-15f91d01be53%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f64b7613-1c9c-4864-bbd4-15f91d01be53%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.


Jason Bell

unread,
Feb 21, 2020, 9:01:56 AM2/21/20
to Standard Ebooks
A project for "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs" has just started on DP.  (https://www.pgdp.net/c/project.php?id=projectID5e4ed97fc2ef4&detail_level=2)

Alex Cabal

unread,
Feb 21, 2020, 12:51:25 PM2/21/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great! Once they're done we can include it in our short fiction.

On 2/21/20 8:01 AM, Jason Bell wrote:
> A project for "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs" has just started on DP.
> (https://www.pgdp.net/c/project.php?id=projectID5e4ed97fc2ef4&detail_level=2)
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d187580c-ac74-4ec9-8766-a72f5b9384f7%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d187580c-ac74-4ec9-8766-a72f5b9384f7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ncz...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 15, 2020, 11:45:41 PM10/15/20
to Standard Ebooks
If we're still waiting on the 1924 stories, I'd be willing to do those while I'm proofreading Flowers of Evil.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Oct 15, 2020, 11:49:48 PM10/15/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Lovecraft has a very difficult PD history. We will basically have to
wait for PG to post their editions as unless you can find print scans of
1924 editions, I'm going to leave it to them to do PD clearance for these.

On 10/15/20 10:45 PM, ncz...@gmail.com wrote:
> If we're still waiting on the 1924 stories, I'd be willing to do those
> while I'm proofreading Flowers of Evil.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/02ee5dee-4e7d-46ee-9296-bc1b9ffed667o%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/02ee5dee-4e7d-46ee-9296-bc1b9ffed667o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ncz...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 16, 2020, 11:39:23 AM10/16/20
to Standard Ebooks
Are the links Mike posted on 6/22/19 not sufficient?

> And when 2020 rolls around in six months and 1924 becomes PD, there's The Hound, Imprisoned With The Pharaohs (byline is Houdini but Lovecraft ghost wrote it), The Rats in the Walls, Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family (published as The White Ape here which apparently annoyed Lovecraft), The Picture in the House, and a poem called To A Dreamer which probably shouldn't be included in a collection of short stories but hey here it is.

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 3:49:48 AM UTC, Alex Cabal wrote:
Lovecraft has a very difficult PD history. We will basically have to
wait for PG to post their editions as unless you can find print scans of
1924 editions, I'm going to leave it to them to do PD clearance for these.

On 10/15/20 10:45 PM, ncz...@gmail.com wrote:
> If we're still waiting on the 1924 stories, I'd be willing to do those
> while I'm proofreading Flowers of Evil.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send

Alex Cabal

unread,
Oct 16, 2020, 12:19:44 PM10/16/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, those would work. Does PG already have the transcriptions?

On 10/16/20 10:39 AM, ncz...@gmail.com wrote:
> Are the links Mike posted on 6/22/19 not sufficient?
>
> > And when 2020 rolls around in six months and 1924 becomes PD, there's
> The Hound <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV03N02192402/page/n49>,
> Imprisoned With The Pharaohs
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTales1924050607ATLPM/page/n3> (byline
> is Houdini but Lovecraft ghost wrote it), The Rats in the Walls
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV03n03192403/page/n25>, Facts
> Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV03N01192401/page/n39>, and a
> poem called To A Dreamer
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV04N03192411/page/n54> which
> probably shouldn't be included in a collection of short stories but hey
> here it is.
>
> On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 3:49:48 AM UTC, Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> Lovecraft has a very difficult PD history. We will basically have to
> wait for PG to post their editions as unless you can find print
> scans of
> 1924 editions, I'm going to leave it to them to do PD clearance for
> these.
>
> On 10/15/20 10:45 PM, ncz...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
> > If we're still waiting on the 1924 stories, I'd be willing to do
> those
> > while I'm proofreading Flowers of Evil.
> >
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> send
> > an email to standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/02ee5dee-4e7d-46ee-9296-bc1b9ffed667o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/02ee5dee-4e7d-46ee-9296-bc1b9ffed667o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c9970629-c68e-4e81-b637-bbbcb16bcbb8o%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c9970629-c68e-4e81-b637-bbbcb16bcbb8o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

mgbe...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 16, 2020, 12:42:36 PM10/16/20
to Standard Ebooks
Transcriptions are almost through distributed proofreaders (here's a query to track the progress) but have been delayed a long time because the PM who stated them has way too many projects in flight at the same time. They were transferred to a different PM for the last round of formatting, but they've been on hold since mid September. I could ping them and see what the status of it is. Or we could just take the mostly finished work they've done so far or take a transcription from WikiSource.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Oct 16, 2020, 12:54:14 PM10/16/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I would prefer DP. If you want to take their work in progress and finish it up then that's fine. Maybe you could even take it over from the original transcriber and submit it to PG as well.

On October 16, 2020 11:42:36 AM CDT, "mgbe...@gmail.com" <mgbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Transcriptions are almost through distributed proofreaders (here's a
>query
>to track the progress
><https://www.pgdp.net/c/tools/search.php?show=search&title=&author=Lovecraft&projectid=&project_manager=&checkedoutby=&pp_er=&ppv_er=&postednum=&language%5B%5D=&genre%5B%5D=&difficulty%5B%5D=&special_day%5B%5D=&state%5B%5D=>)
>
>but have been delayed a long time because the PM who stated them has
>way
>too many projects in flight at the same time. They were transferred to
>a
>different PM for the last round of formatting, but they've been on hold
>
>since mid September. I could ping them and see what the status of it
>is. Or
>we could just take the mostly finished work they've done so far or take
>a
>transcription from WikiSource
><https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Howard_Phillips_Lovecraft>.

ncz...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 16, 2020, 7:57:34 PM10/16/20
to Standard Ebooks
I'll get started on those then. A couple questions right away:

Which title do we want for Arthur Jermyn/The White Ape?
Should I add anything about Houdini for his ghostwritten story?
How are we ordering stories within the collection? It seems mostly chronological at the moment except for The Shunned House coming after The Dunwich Horror.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Oct 20, 2020, 7:10:30 PM10/20/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Can you remind me exactly what the issues are here with The White Ape?
This is a really old thread.

For the Houdini story, you can add an endnote to the story title
explaining that it was ghostwritten for Houdini.

Stories are ordered chronologically by date of publication. If there are
some that are out of order then that should be corrected.
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6707b04b-b279-40be-9ca4-ef695ec3f957o%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6707b04b-b279-40be-9ca4-ef695ec3f957o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ncz...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 21, 2020, 1:39:01 AM10/21/20
to Standard Ebooks
Can you remind me exactly what the issues are here with The White Ape?
This is a really old thread.

Weird Tales changed the title and published the story as "The White Ape", which Lovecraft did not like.

Actually, looking in to it deeper it seems this was specifically an issue with the reprint in Weird Tales, and that the original publication in The Wolverine was, according to the Wikipedia entry, as "Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn...." In that case, I'll use the longer title.

François Grandjean

unread,
Oct 21, 2020, 1:52:21 AM10/21/20
to Standard Ebooks
Lovecraft even stated that if he ever wrote a story called The White Ape, it would most certainly not feature any white ape at all.

As you said, it was an issue specific to Weird Tales. If you want to know more about this incident, episode 22 of Voluminous (https://www.hplhs.org/voluminous.php) contains a lot of information about it. It’s a podcast dedicated to reading and analysing Lovecraft’s correspondance; fascinating and worth your time if you are a Lovecraft fan.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Oct 21, 2020, 10:32:22 AM10/21/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, sounds good. This would also be a good endnote to put on the work title.

On 10/21/20 12:39 AM, ncz...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can you remind me exactly what the issues are here with The White Ape?
> This is a really old thread.
>
> Weird Tales changed the title and published the story as "The White
> Ape", which Lovecraft did not like.
>
> Actually, looking in to it deeper it seems this was specifically an
> issue with the *reprint* in Weird Tales, and that the original
> publication in The Wolverine// was, according to the Wikipedia
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facts_Concerning_the_Late_Arthur_Jermyn_and_His_Family#Publishing_history_and_possible_influences>
> entry, as "Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn...." In that case,
> I'll use the longer title.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4a338c44-0e14-457c-8278-e6bcda18fc32o%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4a338c44-0e14-457c-8278-e6bcda18fc32o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ncz...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 23, 2020, 11:42:35 AM10/23/20
to Standard Ebooks
Two notes about Arthur Jermyn:

First, there are a few abbreviations I'm unclear on. There's a reference to "Sir Robert Jermyn, Bt.," which seems like a degree but I can't find anything useful (the character is an anthropologist, for reference). Another character is "M. Verhaeren," and it's unclear to me whether the M is an initial or an equivalent to Mr. or Mrs. For now I've set both as unsemantic <abbr>

Secondly, modernize-spelling made two missteps IMO. It missed a change from dumfound -> dumbfound, and it changed stable-boy -> stableboy. For the latter, ngrams shows "stableboy" as less common than "stable boy," and even the original "stable-boy" has been more common than "stableboy" since 2014

Robin Whittleton

unread,
Oct 23, 2020, 11:55:58 AM10/23/20
to Standard Ebooks
Bt. stands for Baronet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baronet) so a title. Verhaeren is a Belgian name, so presumably M. is the French monsieur?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f88b4652-cf4e-4baf-af07-5f0b95eac587o%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Oct 23, 2020, 12:24:53 PM10/23/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
For Bt. you can use <abbr>.

M. is short for Monsieur. Just <abbr> is fine.

dumbfound is correct. You can leave stable-boy unchanged, I'll remove it
from the word list.
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f88b4652-cf4e-4baf-af07-5f0b95eac587o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ncz...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 23, 2020, 1:54:28 PM10/23/20
to Standard Ebooks
Just to clarify, the original text used “dumfounded” and modernize-spelling did not catch it.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Oct 23, 2020, 1:57:40 PM10/23/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK. You can fix that, and I'll add it to modernize-spelling.

On 10/23/20 12:54 PM, ncz...@gmail.com wrote:
> Just to clarify, the original text used “dumfounded” and
> modernize-spelling did *not* catch it.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/320cb5bd-bba9-45e1-be51-cf20d2788b0ao%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/320cb5bd-bba9-45e1-be51-cf20d2788b0ao%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ncz...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 29, 2020, 9:22:08 PM10/29/20
to Standard Ebooks
I found two proper names in "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs" that should be added to modernize-spelling: Gizeh => Giza and Ghizereh => Gezira

ncz...@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 4, 2020, 9:44:45 PM11/4/20
to Standard Ebooks
I've made a pull request with the new stories

Robin Whittleton

unread,
Mar 28, 2021, 3:39:36 PM3/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
Gutenberg have published some issues of ”The Fantasy Fan”, which seems to contain some Lovecraft shorts we don’t have:


I can’t find any scans, but I’m assuming PGDP have them. What do we think? Gutenberg’s copyright clearance good enough here?

-Robin

On 5 Nov 2020, at 03:44, ncz...@gmail.com wrote:

I've made a pull request with the new stories

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/cd582349-6dc7-4ffa-b68d-1ae0b6479c6co%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 28, 2021, 6:13:17 PM3/28/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, you can certainly add them. If it's on PG then we can accept it.
Let me know when you finish!

On 3/28/21 2:39 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> Gutenberg have published some issues of ”The Fantasy Fan”, which seems
> to contain some Lovecraft shorts we don’t have:
>
> * The Other Gods: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46534
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46534>
> * Polaris: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46616
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46616>
> * From Beyond: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64901
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64901>
> * Beyond the Wall of Sleep: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64940
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64940>
>
>
> I can’t find any scans, but I’m assuming PGDP have them. What do we
> think? Gutenberg’s copyright clearance good enough here?
>
> -Robin
>
>> On 5 Nov 2020, at 03:44, ncz...@gmail.com <mailto:ncz...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I've made a pull request with the new stories
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/cd582349-6dc7-4ffa-b68d-1ae0b6479c6co%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7FE54FE1-AF21-47A2-A027-E6F2F36B164D%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7FE54FE1-AF21-47A2-A027-E6F2F36B164D%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

unread,
Mar 29, 2021, 7:56:54 AM3/29/21
to Standard Ebooks
PR at https://github.com/standardebooks/h-p-lovecraft_short-fiction/pull/5
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/70487a29-80e2-ad69-c426-9eea266dd010%40standardebooks.org.

maticstric

unread,
Jan 4, 2022, 7:45:24 PMJan 4
to Standard Ebooks
I'm working on adding three new stories (The Outsider, The Moon-Bog, and He) to this collection that were mentioned here: https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/uece7aOtyW4

Lint is complaining that the language of the stories is en-US (as far as I can tell, the transcriptions are all from Weird Tales and use US spellings) but the content.opf language is en-GB. Am I supposed to change the language of each story to en-GB or should I make a lint exception? If I'm supposed to make an exception, I'm surprised that this hasn't come up before since I'd suspect that at least some (if not the majority) of the stories are en-US.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Jan 4, 2022, 7:58:40 PMJan 4
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Have the files set to their language, and you can create an ignore rule
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/cd582349-6dc7-4ffa-b68d-1ae0b6479c6co%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/cd582349-6dc7-4ffa-b68d-1ae0b6479c6co%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> >> --
> >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
> it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7FE54FE1-AF21-47A2-A027-E6F2F36B164D%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7FE54FE1-AF21-47A2-A027-E6F2F36B164D%40reala.net>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7FE54FE1-AF21-47A2-A027-E6F2F36B164D%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7FE54FE1-AF21-47A2-A027-E6F2F36B164D%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> >
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
> > To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/70487a29-80e2-ad69-c426-9eea266dd010%40standardebooks.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/70487a29-80e2-ad69-c426-9eea266dd010%40standardebooks.org>.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/002233e8-4423-4a90-84ea-ffbdf9337277n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/002233e8-4423-4a90-84ea-ffbdf9337277n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

maticstric

unread,
Jan 6, 2022, 10:55:56 PMJan 6
to Standard Ebooks
Should I add my name to the colophon as a producer? I know I asked this for when I added stories to the Poul Anderson collection and the answer at the time was "yes".

But the two other producers (Evan Hall and Robin Whittleton) who added stories to the H. P. Lovecraft collection didn't add their names to the colophon, just the content.opf. If I do add myself, do you want me to add Evan and Robin as well?

Alex Cabal

unread,
Jan 7, 2022, 7:06:28 PMJan 7
to standar...@googlegroups.com

maticstric

unread,
Jan 9, 2022, 7:07:05 PMJan 9
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, the new stories are ready for review: https://github.com/maticstric/h-p-lovecraft_short-fiction

Besides adding the stories I did some cleaning up:
- Reordered all the stories to be in actual publication order. Some of them were out of place
- Added comments to dc:source links so we know which stories they contain
- Added all the producers to the colophon
- Typogrify made correct changes in "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs"
- Fixed a miscurled quote in "The Picture in the House" (second full paragraph in last column of page 41: https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV03N01192401/page/n41/mode/1up)
- Added "S.E. Editor" citation to all the endnotes since they were presumably added by a producer at some point.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Jan 13, 2022, 10:52:14 AMJan 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Asher Smith

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 6:29:56 AMJan 14
to Standard Ebooks
What's the list of stories that have been added?

Alex Cabal

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 11:29:00 AMJan 14
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I just realized this is a personal repo. Can you create a pull
request against the SE repo instead, so I can merge it in? Thanks!

On 1/9/22 7:07 PM, maticstric wrote:
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/322b50e1-3883-47c8-b96f-9fa6bcf9446cn%40googlegroups.com>
>
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/322b50e1-3883-47c8-b96f-9fa6bcf9446cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/322b50e1-3883-47c8-b96f-9fa6bcf9446cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f52a4e8c-2e2d-47e2-8a53-d46d0c221311n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f52a4e8c-2e2d-47e2-8a53-d46d0c221311n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

maticstric

unread,
Jan 14, 2022, 11:31:34 AMJan 14
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, I created a pull request.

And the stories which were added are

1. "The Outsider"
2. "The Moon-Bog"
3. "He"

Asher Smith

unread,
Jan 17, 2022, 4:57:37 AMJan 17