Next up: H. P. Lovecraft - Short Fiction

Robin Whittleton

Mar 1, 2018, 5:22:47 PM3/1/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
We don’t have any Lovecraft yet on SE, and that should probably be rectified. Looking at Gutenberg, it’s a little light, but it has a few (including strangely some post-1923 ones, lapsed copyright renewal?):

The Alchemist (1916)
A Reminiscence of Dr. Samuel Johnson (1917)
The White Ship (1919)
Nyarlathotep (1920)
Ex Oblivione (1921)

The Dulwich Horror (1929)

The Shunned House (1937)

There’s a comprehensive bibliography at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft_bibliography , and Wikisource seems to have most of the rest of the pre-1923 words, for example https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Cats_of_Ulthar . So I figure I could take the GB texts, then comb Wikisource for anything else pre-1923 and check for sources. Anything that’s a short story and has scans can go in, and the Wikipedia bibliography can determine ordering based on year of publishing.

Sound like a plan?

Alex Cabal

Mar 1, 2018, 5:41:07 PM3/1/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Lovecraft is not US PD. Actually I have his whole short fiction already produced but it cannot be released at this time. The copyright history is complex and theres even research done on it.

Robin Whittleton

Mar 1, 2018, 6:00:07 PM3/1/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I probably should have guessed. OK! Was waiting until the weekend to start so no harm done, will think of something else :)

Alex Cabal

Mar 1, 2018, 6:43:09 PM3/1/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Actually now that I look at that list, it looks like PG has more transcriptions than when I looked last. Last time I checked they only had like 1 or 2. So maybe now's a good time to get a basic Lovecraft short fiction out there after all. Like I said I already have them all ready to go.

IIRC the main problem was that PG was unable to locate copies of the 1st edition shorts. They are frequently republished, but in edited form, which PG was hesitant to host. Maybe they finally started finding 1st editions.

Also the copyright history is really ridiculous. I think a researcher finally concluded that they are most likely all PD but we may not be able to ever be certain until orphan work legislation happens.

Jared Updike

Mar 1, 2018, 8:06:33 PM3/1/18
to Standard Ebooks
Ha! I spent a week or so going down the rabbit hole last summer trying to track down HPL's short fiction in a way that hopefully SE could make use of (and so I could read it chronologically in the right order), but the copyright stuff is super fuzzy and the only solid copyrights would require original scans of the original documents (issues of Weird Tales) in order to have proof of out-of-copyright status:

- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11RGuTztG5LzOfpOtchkjcuQhwkHShhE7PZL_bs4ygwg/edit?usp=sharing

It all started when I thought to myself: "Cthulhu and Lovecraft are part of the culture. I should really read some H. P. Lovecraft, surely there is a definitive edition or a small series of books that have all of it in one place, like for Sherlock Holmes, etc." No. It is all a mess. There are hard-cover physical editions for sale on Amazon that simply published the stories in alphabetical order (!) which I thought was ridiculous. I too would love to read it all, chronologically, in an ebook some day. US Copyright = :-(

Sad that Alex has it available but because of Copyright shenanigans, no one else can enjoy it all without going through the same arduous task of producing it themselves!

  Jared.

Alex Cabal

Apr 3, 2018, 7:51:52 PM4/3/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com

OK I've gone ahead and released the ones I produced that are in this list.

I excluded "Samuel Johnson" because it seemed to be a super-short outlier to his usual horror stuff.

Lovecraft is obviously super popular, so if any of you want to contact PGDP about doing raw transcriptions for them please do so. IIRC the difficult was in finding first editions of the pulps he was published in. That would be some good ebay/thrift/used bookstore work.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 4, 2018, 12:48:32 AM4/4/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Oh great! I was expecting those to languish in development hell.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 13, 2018, 3:58:07 PM4/13/18
to Standard Ebooks
One quick query: the colophon and imprint only link to a single scan - is this intentional? I ask cos I’m in a similar situation with Conan. Same with the dc:source scan links in content.opf actually.

Alex Cabal

Apr 13, 2018, 4:15:07 PM4/13/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Yeah usually when there's more than one scan source from the same site, I just pick the first one for the colophon instead of listing every single scan. For some books, like Chekhov's short fiction, listing them all would be exhausting

Mike Bennett

Jun 22, 2019, 6:23:12 PM6/22/19
to Standard Ebooks
Hey Alex, you mentioned in this thread that you have all of Lovecraft's stories ready to go but are waiting on more definitive proof of its status in the public domain. Recently a bunch of scans of Weird Tales were uploaded to the Internet Archive, though many of the stories printed in the early editions of the pulp were reprints of stories he had published in other magazines.

In 1923, we have Dagon, which should constitute enough proof to be able to include in our collection.

And when 2020 rolls around in six months and 1924 becomes PD, there's The Hound, Imprisoned With The Pharaohs (byline is Houdini but Lovecraft ghost wrote it), The Rats in the Walls, Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family (published as The White Ape here which apparently annoyed Lovecraft), The Picture in the House, and a poem called To A Dreamer which probably shouldn't be included in a collection of short stories but hey here it is.

And that's just 1923 and 1924. He published most of his work in Weird Tales, and now most of it is scanned and online. Not sure how useful this is, but hopefully it gives us the confidence to expand our collection.

Thanks,
~Mike

On 03/01/2018 04:22 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
[...]

Alex Cabal

Jun 23, 2019, 5:27:41 PM6/23/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great! I'd love to include Dagon in our existing compilation. The first
step is to get a transcription going, which shouldn't be too tough as
it's a short one. Anyone interested in taking it on?

On 6/22/19 5:23 PM, Mike Bennett wrote:
> [...]
> here it is.
>
> And that's just 1923 and 1924. He published most of his work in Weird
> Tales, and now most of it is scanned and online. Not sure how useful
> this is, but hopefully it gives us the confidence to expand our collection.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Mike
>
> On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 1:15:07 PM UTC-7, Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> Yeah usually when there's more than one scan source from the same
> site, I just pick the first one for the colophon instead of listing
> every single scan. For some books, like Chekhov's short fiction,
> listing them all would be exhausting
>

> On 04/13/2018 02:57 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
>> One quick query: the colophon and imprint only link to a single
>> scan - is this intentional? I ask cos I’m in a similar situation
>> with Conan. Same with the dc:source scan links in content.opf

Message has been deleted

Jason Bell

Jun 24, 2019, 8:27:38 AM6/24/19
to Standard Ebooks
Transcription attached.
Dagon.txt

Alex Cabal

Jun 29, 2019, 1:12:13 PM6/29/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I'm not going to have time to do much of this in the coming week. If
anyone wants to proofread this and add it to the existing ebook, please
feel free to open a pull request against the book. It's very short and
you could probably knock it out in an hour. Otherwise I'll see if I
have time the week after next.

On 6/24/19 7:27 AM, Jason Bell wrote:
> Transcription attached.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0903a144-c906-4651-9b27-95c06aaa8aa4%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0903a144-c906-4651-9b27-95c06aaa8aa4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason Bell

Jun 29, 2019, 2:21:39 PM6/29/19
to Standard Ebooks
There are a few mistakes that I am aware of:

Lline 14, last sentence: "having" should be "heaving"
Wrong: But neither ship nor land appeared, and I began to despair in my solitude upon the having vastness of unbroken blue.
Right: But neither ship nor land appeared, and I began to despair in my solitude upon the heaving vastness of unbroken blue.

Lines 26 and 67 end with a <p> tag; should be a </p> tag.

Line 71, last sentence: "fo" should be "of".

I've attached a new .txt file with the above corrections (and with straight quotes/apostrophes with the Unicode versions).

Also note that I put a comment in the last sentence of line 34 (begins with <!--jbell); the word "know" appears in the original article's text, but I think it should have been "known"

Dagon.txt

Alex Cabal

Jul 7, 2019, 2:39:10 PM7/7/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have time to proof this and add it to the ebook? It's really short so it shouldn't take long!

Evan Hall

Jul 7, 2019, 10:52:42 PM7/7/19
to Standard Ebooks
Sure, I'll take a look.

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 1:39:10 PM UTC-5, Alex Cabal wrote:
Does anyone have time to proof this and add it to the ebook? It's really short so it shouldn't take long!

Evan Hall

Jul 8, 2019, 1:24:50 AM7/8/19
to Standard Ebooks
Okay, I added Dagon, proofread it (Dagon only) and submitted a pull request. I caught and corrected a couple more minor typos in the transcription, but overall it looked great.

Here are a few notes. Let me know if you have any questions.
• I put this between The Alchemist and Samuel Johnson, per the publication dates on wikipedia and Jared's spreadsheet from earlier in this email chain.
• I added Jason Bell to the content.opf and colophon as another transcriber.
• I added myself to the content.opf and colophon as another producer.
• I didn't add the new page scan URL anywhere, since it didn't look like there was a separate one for every story.
• I agree with the change that Jason noted (know->known) and made that change as an editorial commit.
• I also made an editorial commit to insert a hyphen into "Polyphemus-like", it being a compound adjective.

Let me know if you have any other comments on reviewing. This is my first time adding a short story to an existing ebook. I pretty much just followed the step-by-step guide and skipped the parts that weren't necessary.

Evan.

Alex Cabal

Jul 8, 2019, 8:40:26 PM7/8/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, this is now released. Thanks everyone!
> *Lline 14*, last sentence: "having" should be "heaving"
>
> Wrong: But neither ship nor land appeared, and I began to
> despair in my solitude upon the having vastness of unbroken
> blue.
>
> Right: But neither ship nor land appeared, and I began to
> despair in my solitude upon the heaving vastness of unbroken
> blue.
>
> *Lines 26 and 67* end with a <p> tag; should be a </p> tag.
>
> *Line 71*, last sentence: "fo" should be "of".
>

> I've attached a new .txt file with the above corrections
> (and with straight quotes/apostrophes with the Unicode
> versions).
>
> Also note that I put a comment in the last sentence of line
> 34 (begins with <!--jbell); the word "know" appears in the
> original article's text, but I think it should have been "known"
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/782cce3c-4cd2-459e-b220-902c49c6292b%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/782cce3c-4cd2-459e-b220-902c49c6292b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason Bell

Jul 9, 2019, 8:35:39 AM7/9/19
to Standard Ebooks
Lookin' good, but hey guess what?  I found some more typos:

23 -in any abyss
   +in an abyss

24 -yet now without
   +yet not without

26 -Bulwer, the were
   +Bulwer, they were

27 -musing whilst
   +musing, whilst

Think I must've been over-caffeinated that day.  I opened a pull request for corrections.

Alex Cabal

Jul 9, 2019, 11:27:42 AM7/9/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f64b7613-1c9c-4864-bbd4-15f91d01be53%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f64b7613-1c9c-4864-bbd4-15f91d01be53%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason Bell

Feb 21, 2020, 9:01:56 AM2/21/20
to Standard Ebooks
A project for "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs" has just started on DP.  (https://www.pgdp.net/c/project.php?id=projectID5e4ed97fc2ef4&detail_level=2)

Alex Cabal

Feb 21, 2020, 12:51:25 PM2/21/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great! Once they're done we can include it in our short fiction.

On 2/21/20 8:01 AM, Jason Bell wrote:
> A project for "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs" has just started on DP.
> (https://www.pgdp.net/c/project.php?id=projectID5e4ed97fc2ef4&detail_level=2)
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d187580c-ac74-4ec9-8766-a72f5b9384f7%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d187580c-ac74-4ec9-8766-a72f5b9384f7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ncz...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2020, 11:45:41 PM10/15/20
to Standard Ebooks
If we're still waiting on the 1924 stories, I'd be willing to do those while I'm proofreading Flowers of Evil.

Alex Cabal

Oct 15, 2020, 11:49:48 PM10/15/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Lovecraft has a very difficult PD history. We will basically have to
wait for PG to post their editions as unless you can find print scans of
1924 editions, I'm going to leave it to them to do PD clearance for these.

On 10/15/20 10:45 PM, ncz...@gmail.com wrote:
> If we're still waiting on the 1924 stories, I'd be willing to do those
> while I'm proofreading Flowers of Evil.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/02ee5dee-4e7d-46ee-9296-bc1b9ffed667o%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/02ee5dee-4e7d-46ee-9296-bc1b9ffed667o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ncz...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2020, 11:39:23 AM10/16/20
to Standard Ebooks
Are the links Mike posted on 6/22/19 not sufficient?

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 3:49:48 AM UTC, Alex Cabal wrote:
Lovecraft has a very difficult PD history. We will basically have to
wait for PG to post their editions as unless you can find print scans of
1924 editions, I'm going to leave it to them to do PD clearance for these.

On 10/15/20 10:45 PM, ncz...@gmail.com wrote:
> If we're still waiting on the 1924 stories, I'd be willing to do those
> while I'm proofreading Flowers of Evil.

Alex Cabal

Oct 16, 2020, 12:19:44 PM10/16/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, those would work. Does PG already have the transcriptions?

On 10/16/20 10:39 AM, ncz...@gmail.com wrote:
> Are the links Mike posted on 6/22/19 not sufficient?
>
> > And when 2020 rolls around in six months and 1924 becomes PD, there's
> The Hound <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV03N02192402/page/n49>,
> Imprisoned With The Pharaohs
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTales1924050607ATLPM/page/n3> (byline
> is Houdini but Lovecraft ghost wrote it), The Rats in the Walls
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV03n03192403/page/n25>, Facts
> Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV03N01192401/page/n39>, and a
> poem called To A Dreamer
> <https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV04N03192411/page/n54> which
> probably shouldn't be included in a collection of short stories but hey
> here it is.
>
> On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 3:49:48 AM UTC, Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> Lovecraft has a very difficult PD history. We will basically have to
> wait for PG to post their editions as unless you can find print
> scans of
> 1924 editions, I'm going to leave it to them to do PD clearance for
> these.
>
> On 10/15/20 10:45 PM, ncz...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
> > If we're still waiting on the 1924 stories, I'd be willing to do
> those
> > while I'm proofreading Flowers of Evil.
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/02ee5dee-4e7d-46ee-9296-bc1b9ffed667o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/02ee5dee-4e7d-46ee-9296-bc1b9ffed667o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c9970629-c68e-4e81-b637-bbbcb16bcbb8o%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c9970629-c68e-4e81-b637-bbbcb16bcbb8o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

mgbe...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2020, 12:42:36 PM10/16/20
to Standard Ebooks
Transcriptions are almost through distributed proofreaders (here's a query to track the progress) but have been delayed a long time because the PM who stated them has way too many projects in flight at the same time. They were transferred to a different PM for the last round of formatting, but they've been on hold since mid September. I could ping them and see what the status of it is. Or we could just take the mostly finished work they've done so far or take a transcription from WikiSource.

Alex Cabal

Oct 16, 2020, 12:54:14 PM10/16/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I would prefer DP. If you want to take their work in progress and finish it up then that's fine. Maybe you could even take it over from the original transcriber and submit it to PG as well.

On October 16, 2020 11:42:36 AM CDT, "mgbe...@gmail.com" <mgbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Transcriptions are almost through distributed proofreaders (here's a
>query
>to track the progress
><https://www.pgdp.net/c/tools/search.php?show=search&title=&author=Lovecraft&projectid=&project_manager=&checkedoutby=&pp_er=&ppv_er=&postednum=&language%5B%5D=&genre%5B%5D=&difficulty%5B%5D=&special_day%5B%5D=&state%5B%5D=>)
>
>but have been delayed a long time because the PM who stated them has
>way
>too many projects in flight at the same time. They were transferred to
>different PM for the last round of formatting, but they've been on hold
>
>since mid September. I could ping them and see what the status of it
>is. Or
>we could just take the mostly finished work they've done so far or take
>transcription from WikiSource
><https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Howard_Phillips_Lovecraft>.

ncz...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2020, 7:57:34 PM10/16/20
to Standard Ebooks
I'll get started on those then. A couple questions right away:

Which title do we want for Arthur Jermyn/The White Ape?
Should I add anything about Houdini for his ghostwritten story?
How are we ordering stories within the collection? It seems mostly chronological at the moment except for The Shunned House coming after The Dunwich Horror.

Alex Cabal

Oct 20, 2020, 7:10:30 PM10/20/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Can you remind me exactly what the issues are here with The White Ape?
This is a really old thread.

For the Houdini story, you can add an endnote to the story title
explaining that it was ghostwritten for Houdini.

Stories are ordered chronologically by date of publication. If there are
some that are out of order then that should be corrected.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6707b04b-b279-40be-9ca4-ef695ec3f957o%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6707b04b-b279-40be-9ca4-ef695ec3f957o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ncz...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2020, 1:39:01 AM10/21/20
to Standard Ebooks
Can you remind me exactly what the issues are here with The White Ape?
This is a really old thread.

Weird Tales changed the title and published the story as "The White Ape", which Lovecraft did not like.

Actually, looking in to it deeper it seems this was specifically an issue with the reprint in Weird Tales, and that the original publication in The Wolverine was, according to the Wikipedia entry, as "Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn...." In that case, I'll use the longer title.

François Grandjean

Oct 21, 2020, 1:52:21 AM10/21/20
to Standard Ebooks
Lovecraft even stated that if he ever wrote a story called The White Ape, it would most certainly not feature any white ape at all.

As you said, it was an issue specific to Weird Tales. If you want to know more about this incident, episode 22 of Voluminous (https://www.hplhs.org/voluminous.php) contains a lot of information about it. It’s a podcast dedicated to reading and analysing Lovecraft’s correspondance; fascinating and worth your time if you are a Lovecraft fan.

Alex Cabal

Oct 21, 2020, 10:32:22 AM10/21/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, sounds good. This would also be a good endnote to put on the work title.

On 10/21/20 12:39 AM, ncz...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can you remind me exactly what the issues are here with The White Ape?
> This is a really old thread.
>
> Weird Tales changed the title and published the story as "The White
> Ape", which Lovecraft did not like.
>
> Actually, looking in to it deeper it seems this was specifically an
> issue with the *reprint* in Weird Tales, and that the original
> publication in The Wolverine// was, according to the Wikipedia
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facts_Concerning_the_Late_Arthur_Jermyn_and_His_Family#Publishing_history_and_possible_influences>
> entry, as "Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn...." In that case,
> I'll use the longer title.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4a338c44-0e14-457c-8278-e6bcda18fc32o%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4a338c44-0e14-457c-8278-e6bcda18fc32o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ncz...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2020, 11:42:35 AM10/23/20
to Standard Ebooks
Two notes about Arthur Jermyn:

First, there are a few abbreviations I'm unclear on. There's a reference to "Sir Robert Jermyn, Bt.," which seems like a degree but I can't find anything useful (the character is an anthropologist, for reference). Another character is "M. Verhaeren," and it's unclear to me whether the M is an initial or an equivalent to Mr. or Mrs. For now I've set both as unsemantic <abbr>

Secondly, modernize-spelling made two missteps IMO. It missed a change from dumfound -> dumbfound, and it changed stable-boy -> stableboy. For the latter, ngrams shows "stableboy" as less common than "stable boy," and even the original "stable-boy" has been more common than "stableboy" since 2014

Robin Whittleton

Oct 23, 2020, 11:55:58 AM10/23/20
to Standard Ebooks
Bt. stands for Baronet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baronet) so a title. Verhaeren is a Belgian name, so presumably M. is the French monsieur?

Alex Cabal

Oct 23, 2020, 12:24:53 PM10/23/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
For Bt. you can use <abbr>.

M. is short for Monsieur. Just <abbr> is fine.

dumbfound is correct. You can leave stable-boy unchanged, I'll remove it
from the word list.

ncz...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2020, 1:54:28 PM10/23/20
to Standard Ebooks
Just to clarify, the original text used “dumfounded” and modernize-spelling did not catch it.

Alex Cabal

Oct 23, 2020, 1:57:40 PM10/23/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK. You can fix that, and I'll add it to modernize-spelling.

On 10/23/20 12:54 PM, ncz...@gmail.com wrote:
> Just to clarify, the original text used “dumfounded” and
> modernize-spelling did *not* catch it.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/320cb5bd-bba9-45e1-be51-cf20d2788b0ao%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/320cb5bd-bba9-45e1-be51-cf20d2788b0ao%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ncz...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2020, 9:22:08 PM10/29/20
to Standard Ebooks
I found two proper names in "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs" that should be added to modernize-spelling: Gizeh => Giza and Ghizereh => Gezira

ncz...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2020, 9:44:45 PM11/4/20
to Standard Ebooks
I've made a pull request with the new stories

Robin Whittleton

Mar 28, 2021, 3:39:36 PM3/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
Gutenberg have published some issues of ”The Fantasy Fan”, which seems to contain some Lovecraft shorts we don’t have:

I can’t find any scans, but I’m assuming PGDP have them. What do we think? Gutenberg’s copyright clearance good enough here?

-Robin

On 5 Nov 2020, at 03:44, ncz...@gmail.com wrote:

I've made a pull request with the new stories

Alex Cabal

Mar 28, 2021, 6:13:17 PM3/28/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, you can certainly add them. If it's on PG then we can accept it.
Let me know when you finish!

On 3/28/21 2:39 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> Gutenberg have published some issues of ”The Fantasy Fan”, which seems
> to contain some Lovecraft shorts we don’t have:
>
> * The Other Gods: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46534
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46534>
> * Polaris: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46616
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46616>
> * From Beyond: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64901
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64901>
> * Beyond the Wall of Sleep: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64940
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64940>
>

> I can’t find any scans, but I’m assuming PGDP have them. What do we
> think? Gutenberg’s copyright clearance good enough here?
>
> -Robin
>
>> On 5 Nov 2020, at 03:44, ncz...@gmail.com <mailto:ncz...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I've made a pull request with the new stories
>>
>> --
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7FE54FE1-AF21-47A2-A027-E6F2F36B164D%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7FE54FE1-AF21-47A2-A027-E6F2F36B164D%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Mar 29, 2021, 7:56:54 AM3/29/21
to Standard Ebooks
PR at https://github.com/standardebooks/h-p-lovecraft_short-fiction/pull/5
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/70487a29-80e2-ad69-c426-9eea266dd010%40standardebooks.org.

maticstric

Jan 4, 2022, 7:45:24 PM1/4/22
to Standard Ebooks
I'm working on adding three new stories (The Outsider, The Moon-Bog, and He) to this collection that were mentioned here: https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/uece7aOtyW4

Lint is complaining that the language of the stories is en-US (as far as I can tell, the transcriptions are all from Weird Tales and use US spellings) but the content.opf language is en-GB. Am I supposed to change the language of each story to en-GB or should I make a lint exception? If I'm supposed to make an exception, I'm surprised that this hasn't come up before since I'd suspect that at least some (if not the majority) of the stories are en-US.

Alex Cabal

Jan 4, 2022, 7:58:40 PM1/4/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Have the files set to their language, and you can create an ignore rule
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/cd582349-6dc7-4ffa-b68d-1ae0b6479c6co%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/cd582349-6dc7-4ffa-b68d-1ae0b6479c6co%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> >> --
> it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7FE54FE1-AF21-47A2-A027-E6F2F36B164D%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7FE54FE1-AF21-47A2-A027-E6F2F36B164D%40reala.net>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7FE54FE1-AF21-47A2-A027-E6F2F36B164D%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7FE54FE1-AF21-47A2-A027-E6F2F36B164D%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> > --
> send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/70487a29-80e2-ad69-c426-9eea266dd010%40standardebooks.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/70487a29-80e2-ad69-c426-9eea266dd010%40standardebooks.org>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/002233e8-4423-4a90-84ea-ffbdf9337277n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/002233e8-4423-4a90-84ea-ffbdf9337277n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

maticstric

Jan 6, 2022, 10:55:56 PM1/6/22
to Standard Ebooks
Should I add my name to the colophon as a producer? I know I asked this for when I added stories to the Poul Anderson collection and the answer at the time was "yes".

But the two other producers (Evan Hall and Robin Whittleton) who added stories to the H. P. Lovecraft collection didn't add their names to the colophon, just the content.opf. If I do add myself, do you want me to add Evan and Robin as well?

Alex Cabal

Jan 7, 2022, 7:06:28 PM1/7/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

maticstric

Jan 9, 2022, 7:07:05 PM1/9/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, the new stories are ready for review: https://github.com/maticstric/h-p-lovecraft_short-fiction

Besides adding the stories I did some cleaning up:
- Reordered all the stories to be in actual publication order. Some of them were out of place
- Added comments to dc:source links so we know which stories they contain
- Added all the producers to the colophon
- Typogrify made correct changes in "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs"
- Fixed a miscurled quote in "The Picture in the House" (second full paragraph in last column of page 41: https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV03N01192401/page/n41/mode/1up)
- Added "S.E. Editor" citation to all the endnotes since they were presumably added by a producer at some point.

Alex Cabal

Jan 13, 2022, 10:52:14 AM1/13/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Asher Smith

Jan 14, 2022, 6:29:56 AM1/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
What's the list of stories that have been added?

Alex Cabal

Jan 14, 2022, 11:29:00 AM1/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I just realized this is a personal repo. Can you create a pull
request against the SE repo instead, so I can merge it in? Thanks!

On 1/9/22 7:07 PM, maticstric wrote:
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/322b50e1-3883-47c8-b96f-9fa6bcf9446cn%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/322b50e1-3883-47c8-b96f-9fa6bcf9446cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/322b50e1-3883-47c8-b96f-9fa6bcf9446cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f52a4e8c-2e2d-47e2-8a53-d46d0c221311n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f52a4e8c-2e2d-47e2-8a53-d46d0c221311n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

maticstric

Jan 14, 2022, 11:31:34 AM1/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, I created a pull request.

And the stories which were added are

1. "The Outsider"
2. "The Moon-Bog"
3. "He"

Asher Smith

Jan 17, 2022, 4:57:37 AM1/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
Brilliant, I've added wiki links for them.

Alex Cabal

Jan 18, 2022, 6:40:16 PM1/18/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

maticstric

Jun 22, 2022, 6:30:44 PM6/22/22
to Standard Ebooks
I saw that Gutenberg recently added two very popular Lovecraft stories: "The Colour Out of Space" and "The Call of Cthulhu" and I'd like to add them to our collection.

Alex Cabal

Jun 23, 2022, 6:43:56 PM6/23/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

maticstric

Jul 14, 2022, 3:18:26 PM7/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
Apologies for the long wait. Finally got around to finishing everything. I made a pull request.

Alex Cabal

Jul 14, 2022, 11:05:29 PM7/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great work, thanks Matic! Always excited to see more Lovecraft.

On 7/14/22 2:18 PM, maticstric wrote:
> Apologies for the long wait. Finally got around to finishing everything.
> I made a pull request.
>
> On Friday, June 24, 2022 at 12:43:56 AM UTC+2 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> Great, go for it!
>
> On 6/22/22 5:30 PM, maticstric wrote:
> > I saw that Gutenberg recently added two very popular Lovecraft
> stories:
> > "The Colour Out of Space" and "The Call of Cthulhu" and I'd like
> to add
> > them to our collection.
> >
> > "The Colour Out of Space"
> > https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68236
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68236>
> > https://archive.org/details/Amazing_Stories_v02n06_1927-09
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68283>
> > https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV11N02192802
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4df43cc5-b209-4dfe-b1a8-a26fc1cb4been%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4df43cc5-b209-4dfe-b1a8-a26fc1cb4been%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b5bad61-c74f-43e5-a4fc-91b073aa516bn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b5bad61-c74f-43e5-a4fc-91b073aa516bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

maticstric

Jan 29, 2023, 8:02:19 PM1/29/23
to Standard Ebooks
I just finished the Lovecraft short fiction spreadsheet and I think there's one story we should consider adding to our collection.

There a bunch which we don't have, but that's because they're attributed to other people with revisions/editing done by Lovecraft. I'm guessing we don't want to add those. I'll re-edit the spreadsheet when this is confirmed.

There's one though which is attributed to Lovecraft: "Poetry and the Gods" written in collaboration with Anna Helen Crofts. He wrote it under a pseudonym Henry Paget-Lowe (H. P. L.). Should this one be added for the sake of completion?

Alex Cabal

Jan 30, 2023, 12:31:08 AM1/30/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Correct, we don't want stories that he merely edited or revised, but
that are attributed to other people.

We can, however, include Poetry and the Gods. It looks like that was her
only major work, and we've included collaborations in other collections.
(Though which one exactly escapes me at the moment, maybe someone else
can chime in?)
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b5bad61-c74f-43e5-a4fc-91b073aa516bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b5bad61-c74f-43e5-a4fc-91b073aa516bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Jan 30, 2023, 1:11:34 AM1/30/23
to Standard Ebooks
De Cleyre’s short fiction has a collab with Rosa Slobodinsky who basically wrote nothing else in terms of short fiction besides the colab.

maticstric

Jan 30, 2023, 2:10:58 PM1/30/23
to Standard Ebooks
Poul Anderson does as well with Karen Anderson: https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/poul-anderson/short-fiction

By the way, on the Poul Anderson and Mack Reynolds page has a "With ..." link. That's missing from De Cleyre. I guess it might be from this being wrong:

This "ctb" rule for adding short story contributors doesn't exist in the manual. It looks like it was decided for the Mack Reynolds collection in the mailing list, but then never made official. With at least four (including Lovecraft) collections now, it should probably be added to the manual somewhere.

Alex Cabal

Jan 30, 2023, 5:39:35 PM1/30/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'll add that. I think we also want to set the contributor's
display-seq to 0 so that they don't appear as a byline on the
cover/metadata.

On 1/30/23 1:10 PM, maticstric wrote:
> [...]
>
> On Sunday, January 29, 2023 at 9:31:08 PM UTC-8 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> Correct, we don't want stories that he merely edited or revised,
> but
> that are attributed to other people.
>
> We can, however, include Poetry and the Gods. It looks like that
> was her
> only major work, and we've included collaborations in other
> collections.
> (Though which one exactly escapes me at the moment, maybe
> someone else
> can chime in?)
>
> On 1/29/23 7:02 PM, maticstric wrote:
> > I just finished the Lovecraft short fiction spreadsheet and I
> think
> > there's one story we should consider adding to our collection.
> >

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IldpmxjK06BxPL4CCOEJZpw_bxm4AhYnrTchS03QP3k/edit#gid=900474510 <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IldpmxjK06BxPL4CCOEJZpw_bxm4AhYnrTchS03QP3k/edit#gid=900474510>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b5bad61-c74f-43e5-a4fc-91b073aa516bn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b5bad61-c74f-43e5-a4fc-91b073aa516bn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b5bad61-c74f-43e5-a4fc-91b073aa516bn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b5bad61-c74f-43e5-a4fc-91b073aa516bn%40googlegroups.com>>
> > >

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b5bad61-c74f-43e5-a4fc-91b073aa516bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b5bad61-c74f-43e5-a4fc-91b073aa516bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b5bad61-c74f-43e5-a4fc-91b073aa516bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9b5bad61-c74f-43e5-a4fc-91b073aa516bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> >
> > --
> it, send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Glenn Willey

Apr 28, 2023, 11:42:42 AM4/28/23
to Standard Ebooks
It looks like Gutenberg just added At the mountains of madness today. It
clocks in at just over 40,000 words so I'm not sure if it's something that
would go into the collection or become its own book (I don't have the
technical know-how to add it myself; just a heads-up for those that do!).

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/70652

Alex Cabal

Apr 28, 2023, 2:10:01 PM4/28/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
This would be its own book. I'll add it to the wanted list.
> [...]
> > >
> > > --
> > it, send
> > > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> > >

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c594d7c6-d61d-4ebe-b67a-8b5e6c34c633n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/976ffa02-757b-403e-ade0-455225e3c996n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/976ffa02-757b-403e-ade0-455225e3c996n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

M. Knepper

May 9, 2023, 11:35:25 AM5/9/23
to Standard Ebooks
Usually, it's included in published collections. You can see various
paperbacks, e-books, and hardbacks published that contain At the Mountains
of Madness with all of his other work.

M. Knepper

May 9, 2023, 11:44:40 AM5/9/23
to Standard Ebooks
(This may be a duplicate reply. Google is acting strange.)

I noticed several pieces of Lovecraft's work are not in the spreadsheet.
There are probably more, but here are some I caught:

1. At the Mountains of Madness
2. The Shadow Over Innsmouth
3. From Beyond
4. The History of the Necronomicon
5. The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
6. The Thing on the Doorstep
7. The Shadow Out of Time
8. The Haunter of the Dark
9. The Whisperer in Darkness

Alex Cabal

May 9, 2023, 11:46:35 AM5/9/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
No need to duplicate Github issues on the mailing list.

Lovecraft has an extremely complex publication history and many of his
works are not yet provably in the US public domain. Thus, we can't
include them. This collection only includes his US-PD work, as Standard
Ebooks only produced US-PD ebooks. This is also why versions of the
stories in this collection may differ from versions published or edited
later.

Project Gutenberg is our guide for what is or isn't public domain. If
the story isn't posted there, then we can't use it.

If it has since been posted there, then someone can volunteer to add it
to our existing collection.
> https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/jscxHcQ9Q2Q/m/wa8UiKhXCQAJ <https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/jscxHcQ9Q2Q/m/wa8UiKhXCQAJ>>,
> > >

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c79fc676-add2-40af-84b2-10e4f8e75ad4n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c79fc676-add2-40af-84b2-10e4f8e75ad4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

M. Knepper

May 9, 2023, 12:09:07 PM5/9/23
to Standard Ebooks
Apologies for the duplication.

How would I go about adding At the Mountains of Madness or other material
from Gutenberg to the current e-book? Would I contribute to Github? Are
there guides available anywhere or certain paradigms I'd need to follow?

I'm not sure what the submission guidelines or formatting requirements are,
per say. Thanks for your reply and insight.

Alex Cabal

May 9, 2023, 12:13:50 PM5/9/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
At the Mountains of Madness is long enough to be its own ebook, it
wouldn't go in our collection.

Our process is complex. See https://www.standardebooks.org/contribute/
and https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Adding to an existing collection is done via PR and is something for a
more advanced contributor to do, not a first time contributor.

Mountains of Madness would be a good first-time production though.
> https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/jscxHcQ9Q2Q/m/wa8UiKhXCQAJ <https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/jscxHcQ9Q2Q/m/wa8UiKhXCQAJ> <https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/jscxHcQ9Q2Q/m/wa8UiKhXCQAJ <https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/jscxHcQ9Q2Q/m/wa8UiKhXCQAJ>>>,
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com>>
> > > >

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f9f9ff13-6d28-4fe3-8154-a583de6955bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>
> > > >

> > --
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c79fc676-add2-40af-84b2-10e4f8e75ad4n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c79fc676-add2-40af-84b2-10e4f8e75ad4n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c79fc676-add2-40af-84b2-10e4f8e75ad4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c79fc676-add2-40af-84b2-10e4f8e75ad4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bd9cfb6a-8b2e-458a-908e-c62b70ad9ad0n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bd9cfb6a-8b2e-458a-908e-c62b70ad9ad0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Hendrik Kaiber

Mar 22, 2024, 4:45:57 PMMar 22
to Standard Ebooks
Hello, The Thing on the Doorstep <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/73230>,
was just added to PG, can I add it to the project? Or should I wait for
more short stories be added to do it all at once?

Also, I guess The Case of Charles Dexter Ward will be its own production?

-Hendrik

Alex Cabal

Mar 22, 2024, 4:49:23 PMMar 22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Hendrik Kaiber

Mar 22, 2024, 9:14:15 PMMar 22
to Standard Ebooks
I'll add both The Thing on the Doorstep and The Haunter of the Dark (just added on the evening) then.
Sources:

The Thing on the Doorstep: PG, IA.
The Haunter of the Dark: PG, IA.

-Hendrik

Christopher Hapka

Mar 23, 2024, 5:57:33 AMMar 23
to Standard Ebooks
It looks like two stories released by PG last year aren't in our omnibus yet: The Lurking Horror and The Silver Key. Also Through the Gates of the Silver Key, though that's another collaboration (with E. Hoffmann).

Is there any reason we (probably meaning Hendrik) couldn't add these as well, or did they just slip through the cracks?

Hendrik Kaiber

Mar 23, 2024, 7:59:40 AMMar 23
to Standard Ebooks
For some reason I thought that they were already in the collection, I didn't think too much about it. I can add them as well.

The Silver Key: PG, IA.
The Lurking Fear: PG, IA.

-Hendrik

Hendrik Kaiber

Mar 24, 2024, 6:14:38 PMMar 24
to Standard Ebooks
I've been working in adding these short stories and so far I only encountered one issue I'm not sure about:

In The Haunter of the Dark there is a passage with is a series of short entries in a journal (picture included), can someone tell me or point me to another project with a similar structure? I'm leaning towards put the section in a <blockquote>, but I'm not certain. Thank you.

-Hendrik
Screenshot from 2024-03-24 19-10-46.png

Alex Cabal

Mar 24, 2024, 9:53:20 PMMar 24