SQL Workbench won't launch

Wesley Takeo Konrad

Jun 21, 2021, 12:19:01 PM6/21/21
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Hi, I am using Workbench-Build 127 with optional Libs

I use to be able to use Workbench but after some time away, it won't seem to launch now.

I tried updating to the newest version on the website, but that didn't seem to fix it.

Basically, I double click on SQLWorkbench.exe and nothing happens.

If I try from the commandline sqlworkbench.cmd, it accepts the command but nothing happens.

java --version
java 16 2021-03-16
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 16+36-2231)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16+36-2231, mixed mode, sharing)

Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043

any help would be appreciated

Thomas Kellerer

Jun 21, 2021, 12:22:40 PM6/21/21
to sql-wo...@googlegroups.com
It's known problem with Java 16 and the Windows launcher.

You can either download ust the launcher that fixes this: https://codeberg.org/sql-workbench/launcher/releases/tag/v1.1.0.1

or download the current dev build which includes the fixed launcher as well.

Regards
Thomas
> Version10.0.19043 Build 19043

Wesley Takeo Konrad

Jun 21, 2021, 12:37:08 PM6/21/21
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
I tried the new launcher, the same behavior is happening

Thomas Kellerer

Jun 22, 2021, 12:46:22 PM6/22/21
to sql-wo...@googlegroups.com
Can you please start it passing the -logstartup parameter? That way the launcher writes some diagnostic messages into the file wblauncher.log

Wesley Takeo Konrad

Jun 22, 2021, 12:53:20 PM6/22/21
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Thanks Thomas,

It seems that it was a multiple Java Version issue.  I manually put in the Java 11 JDK folder (downloaded online) into the workbench folder and renamed the Java 11 folder to jre.  It now works fine.  My understanding is that this will force workbench to use that version of the JRE

Thomas Kellerer

Jun 22, 2021, 2:48:10 PM6/22/21
to sql-wo...@googlegroups.com

Michael karas

Jul 23, 2021, 2:44:20 PM7/23/21
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Hi Thomas

sorry to jump in. I have jdk16 (Win10) installed and Launcher runs without any issue.

kind regards Michael