Calendar events

Totara North School

Nov 16, 2023, 2:42:34 PM11/16/23
to Spike@School Support
Can the boxes showing the important dates be made smaller or put in list.  They take up so much room on page and when printing the newsletter they take up  a page plus

Brendon Muir

Nov 16, 2023, 4:52:37 PM11/16/23
to spikea...@googlegroups.com
Hi there, I see what you mean. I've spent a bit of time rejigging the print layout for Important Dates and have converted them to a row based display that's more compressed. Let me know what you think of the new layout :)

The Online Newsletters are designed primarily for online consumption and so our design decisions are weighted in that direction.

Have a great weekend! :)

Brendon Muir
Founder | Spike@School

+64 7 959 7200

bre...@spikeatschool.co.nz

www.spikeatschool.co.nz

Spike@School

Level 1, 6 Garden Place, Hamilton 3204

PO Box 303, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton 3240, New Zealand

On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 at 08:42, Totara North School <prin...@totaranorth.school.nz> wrote:
Can the boxes showing the important dates be made smaller or put in list.  They take up so much room on page and when printing the newsletter they take up  a page plus

Totara North School

Nov 16, 2023, 5:02:40 PM11/16/23
to spikea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks im not on site but admin will be looking at it to print off today. Will let you know how it goes later

Totara North School

Nov 20, 2023, 3:23:17 PM11/20/23
to spikea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brendon
Thanks for that - yes it was much better.  The admin asked if there is a way to reduce the size of the community notices without  becoming blurry.
Also the band of green and logo is very wide also when printing - can that be reduced plus the Tai Tokerau banner
Jenny Williams
Principal
Totara North School
(09) 405 1852

Brendon Muir

Nov 20, 2023, 3:39:58 PM11/20/23
to spikea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jenny, I've changed the community notices to be three columns in print form. They get stacked and reflowed into columns to make best use of the space but it's really up to the PDF converter to decide how that ends up looking on the page. It's never going to be 100% perfect unfortunately and depends a lot on the height of each notice. It's also not possible for us to tweak this in relation to just one newsletter. Our main aim with the PDF feature is to output something that's readable by parents who don't have the internet and aesthetics are second to that.

You seem to have uploaded much lower resolution copies of your notices to the latest newsletter you have. It's best to upload something nice and high-resolution. Our system will downscale the image to suit the space but it can't upscale things to add detail.

The header area is designed to take a photo or graphic and so while it appears to be a big green block for you (as you've chosen to go with a block colour), it commonly will be a nice image, and the height is required to allow adequate space to show the image properly.

I hope that helps explain why things are the way they are. Both of your online newsletters come out to be 4 pages long which isn't too bad. The Online Newsletter system is never going to be as flexible as a desktop publishing package or word processor. The aim is more to make it quick for you to add content, and also make it easy for parents to read on their devices and certainly the online newsletters are much easier to read on a phone vs trying to read an old PDF based newsletter generated in Word.

Have a great day! :D

Brendon Muir
Founder | Spike@School

+64 7 959 7200

bre...@spikeatschool.co.nz

www.spikeatschool.co.nz

Spike@School

Level 1, 6 Garden Place, Hamilton 3204

PO Box 303, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton 3240, New Zealand

Totara North School

Nov 20, 2023, 3:47:03 PM11/20/23
to spikea...@googlegroups.com
thanks