Sound Studies SIG tech-related updates

Juan Carlos Melendez-Torres

Nov 7, 2019, 6:53:14 AM11/7/19
to sound-...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Though I will unfortunately not be at this year's SEM meeting, I wanted to send along a few Tech Tsar updates and put out a couple calls for crowdsourcing on some new projects for the Sound Studies SIG.

1) I've attached to this email a PDF version of DJ's list of panels of likely interest for our SIG members. Hopefully it will be of use to some of you.

2) After a few years (yes, years!) of trial and error, I've finally found a way to compile and present on our SIG website a bibliography that is fully searchable and tagged with keywords. You can find it here. If you want an easier URL to remember, you can just find us at soundstudiessig.tk. The new bibliography also allows for downloading of .RIS files for those of you who use bibliography management software. I thought this format might be of more use for those who are new to sound studies, searching for something precise, or looking for something easier to sort through than a multi-page text document.

The list is only populated with about a dozen sources right now, but that will continue to grow over the coming months. This is where you, the SIG members, come in: I'm asking you to please send to sem.sound....@gmail.com any and all sound studies texts/sources you'd like to see in the shared bibliography so that we can build out this project of knowledge sharing and dissemination. When you send these sources, please include a few potential keywords (three or fewer) for as many of your suggested entries as possible.

3) In the continued spirit of knowledge sharing, I'd also like to establish a database of sound studies syllabi for our members. If you are amenable to the possibility of sharing your syllabus with the SIG, please send it in PDF format to the same email address as bibliography submissions,  sem.sound....@gmail.com

Thanks to all of you, and enjoy this year's meeting!

Best,

Juan Carlos
Tech Tsar, SEM Sound Studies SIG

--
Juan Carlos Meléndez-Torres
PhD Student, Musicology

SEM 2019 Panels of Interest for Sound Studies SIG.pdf