EVPN/VXLAN in VS

Jens Kristian Kjaergaard

Jan 10, 2021, 4:58:14 AM1/10/21
to sonicproject

The image sonic-vs.img.gz from 202012 build #2  is used https://sonic-jenkins.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com/job/vs/job/buildimage-vs-image-202012/2/artifact/target/sonic-vs.img.gz  has been used to setup a testbed with two interconnected Sonic routers running in a VM environment. Basic BGP peering is working with address family l2vpn evpn.

We understand that EVPN with MAC distribution is new in the Sonic 202012 release and according to the release progress https://github.com/Azure/SONiC/wiki/Release-Progress-Tracking-202012  has state “MergePending”.

The configuration works only partly, so before we start further troubleshooting we have some questions in respect to the state of the EVPN support:

  1. Is the vs (platform) supposed to support EVPN L2 (MAC), i.e. EVPN type 2 and type 3. Really hope so.
  2. Are there outstanding merges that prevents EVPN L2 (MAC) to work? In our test setup it seems that part of the MACs are distributed by BGP and remote MACs can be seen in the Linux Bridge, but doesn’t appear in the Sonic DBs.
  3. Any prediction when the merge into the 202012 release may happen?

Syed Hasan Raza Naqvi

Jan 12, 2021, 2:28:58 AM1/12/21
to Jens Kristian Kjaergaard, sonicproject, Kishore Kishore Kunal

Hi Jens,

Please find updates to the EVPN tracker maintained by Prince here:

Thanks,

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 1:58 AM Jens Kristian Kjaergaard <ted...@gmail.com> wrote:

The image sonic-vs.img.gz from 202012 build #2  is used https://sonic-jenkins.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com/job/vs/job/buildimage-vs-image-202012/2/artifact/target/sonic-vs.img.gz  has been used to setup a testbed with two interconnected Sonic routers running in a VM environment. Basic BGP peering is working with address family l2vpn evpn.

We understand that EVPN with MAC distribution is new in the Sonic 202012 release and according to the release progress https://github.com/Azure/SONiC/wiki/Release-Progress-Tracking-202012  has state “MergePending”.

The configuration works only partly, so before we start further troubleshooting we have some questions in respect to the state of the EVPN support:

  1. Is the vs (platform) supposed to support EVPN L2 (MAC), i.e. EVPN type 2 and type 3. Really hope so.
[Hasan] Yes, these are supported.
  1. Are there outstanding merges that prevents EVPN L2 (MAC) to work? In our test setup it seems that part of the MACs are distributed by BGP and remote MACs can be seen in the Linux Bridge, but doesn’t appear in the Sonic DBs.
[Hasan] If remote MACs/VNIs are installed in the kernel, fdbsyncd is responsible for syncing those to APP_VXLAN_FDB/APP_REMOTE_VNI tables, respectively. Please check if fdbsyncd is running in swss docker.
  1. Any prediction when the merge into the 202012 release may happen?
[Hasan] Please refer to the latest on the email thread above.

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and destroy any printed copy of it.

Jens Kristian Kjaergaard

Jan 12, 2021, 10:41:12 AM1/12/21
to sonicproject
Thanks Syed for sharing information.

My take from the answer and going through the EVPN tracker status is that it should be possible to setup EVPN on VS with the current sonic 202012 version. It might very well be that we have missed something in the EVPN / VxLAN configuration. We will try to troubleshot our setup and may come back.

Does anyone happen to have a working VxLAN / EVPN configuration that could be shared?

I assume that it is better to dispatch further questions to the EVPN tracker list. Right?

Amit Limaye

Apr 23, 2023, 12:06:13 PM4/23/23
to sonicproject
Did you ever get this to work on vs.
I am trying this on vs i see all routes getting exchanged on the wire and show in both ends but the traffic gets blackholed.
Did you ever get a working config for this

Christian Svensson

Apr 23, 2023, 4:56:44 PM4/23/23
to Amit Limaye, sonicproject

Amit Limaye

Apr 24, 2023, 8:05:06 AM4/24/23
to Christian Svensson, sonicproject
Yep that was the issue iptables was dropping vxlan packets.

-SIGTERM
amit

Humanity's first sin was faith, Its first virtue doubt