LI-ION BATTERIES ALONG WITH BMS

Rahul Jain

Apr 28, 2016, 10:58:55 AM4/28/16
to SolarCarTeams
Hi,

We are a solar car racing team from India.

Just wanted to know what are the different companies that provide li-ion batteries (by geometry) prismatic, pouch or anything else that we can
along with the battery management system.Recently we have been facing a lot of problem.

Thanks
Shubham Kuchhal

William Lynch

Apr 28, 2016, 2:22:25 PM4/28/16
to SolarCarTeams
I included some spreadsheets of lithium ion cell comparisons in an earlier post. Many of these are cylindrical but some in the Lithium_Cells-15b spreadsheet are pouch or prismatic types. The Sheet2 tab includes cell manufacturer, model and links.
Bill

Rahul Jain

May 2, 2016, 9:11:03 PM5/2/16
to SolarCarTeams
Hi
I am not able to find the spreadsheet for li ion batteries.Kindly paste the link on this thread only.

Regards
Shubham

William Lynch

May 5, 2016, 11:44:01 AM5/5/16
to SolarCarTeams
Attached are the spreadsheets and a paper about a cell model.
Regards
Bill
Lithium_Cells-15.xlsx
Lithium_Cells-15b.xlsx
PaperASNE_Final_LiFePO4_WALNAS-1.pdf

William Lynch

May 5, 2016, 4:17:07 PM5/5/16
to SolarCarTeams
The following link includes discharge curves of a wide variety of lithium ion cells. These are 18650 cylindrical cells.

You could test cells to get your own data. When I tested some cells I used a thermoelectric chamber to maintain constant temperature so my tests would be repeatable and comparable. A thermoelectric wine cooler is inexpensive and may be suitable for testing small cells. It would be designed to cool but could be modified to heat by reversing the current direction in the thermoelectric module. Typically I used it to maintain a nominal temperature such as 25 deg C. Charging can be provided using a power supply and power resistors can be used as loads. A data logger such as http://www.mccdaq.com/ and PC could be used to collect the data. You could design a test system such as described in the attached paper. Some hobby chargers contain active loads. Such a hobby charger could be used to charge and discharge the cell and some of these have data logging or PC interface features. I found some on the web and you could search for others.

Bill

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 10:58:55 AM UTC-4, Rahul Jain wrote:
Paper-rad1B1C2-IEEE-PES-submission.pdf