GHOP: Coming to You in December 2009

LH (Leslie Hawthorn)

Sep 19, 2009, 10:49:00 AM9/19/09
to GHOP Contest Administrative List
Hello everyone,

Not sure how many of you, if any, are following the GHOP discussion
list, but we're planning to reprise the contest in 2009 with a couple
of changes. One, we're going to rename GHOP, as the diet coke binge I
was on when I came up with that name has finally worn off. [0]

Second, we're going to be using Melange [1], the Open Source project
that powers Google's student programs site. [2]

In order to actually make GHOP happen again in 2009, we need some
help. Discussion on how to assist with Melange are actively going on
[3], and we need mentors to get demo accounts and kick the tires.
Bonus points for actual bug fixes and code.

We're planning to have folks approach us to let us know that they'd
like to participate in GHOP but won't be doing an open call for
applications. As folks with experience in the effort, we'd generally
like to ask you to come back and participate again, assuming you'd
like to do so. We can discuss each project's participation in detail
off-list.

So, begging, pleading, etc., for help in making Melange better. [4]
We're going to do a sanity check at the upcoming GSoC mentor summit
(24 & 25 October) to make sure the system is in good enough shape to
make the contest happen again. Assuming it is where it needs to be (or
close enough), we'll formally announce the contest again. We're
targeting 7 December as the date for launch, meaning the day that
students can begin claiming and working on tasks.

Any questions, let me know.

Cheers,
LH

[0] - http://groups.google.com/group/ghop-discuss/browse_thread/thread/f3fdb6d151b85501