opensource OpenSocial?

Dan Brickley

Nov 2, 2007, 1:38:36 PM11/2/07
to social-networ...@googlegroups.com
So what are the obvious starting points for putting together an
opensource implementation of OpenSocial? As a container SN site I
mean. And as an environment to experiment with extensions to, and
deployment patterns over, their specs.

Thinking out loud --- Drupal? MediaWiki? Seems not PeopleAggregator
([1]) although apparently source is available for nonprofit etc use,
MugShot (which Marc Canter points us at, see [2]) ... and I guess the
LiveJournal code of course, [3]. Hmm I wonder if any of the SixApart
implementation will show up in the LJ code dumps.

BTW I just added a couple of OpenSocial feeds to the aggregator I'm
running at http://widgetarians.org/ --- if I'm missing anything else
that folks here think fits the broadly widgetty theme, let me know. At
the moment it has 42 source feeds, am always interested in suggestions
for more.

cheers,

Dan

[1] http://blog.broadbandmechanics.com/2006/06/mugshot-open-source-social-network
[2] http://mugshot.org/main
http://developer.mugshot.org/wiki/Mugshot_Project
[3] http://www.livejournal.com/code/

--
http://danbri.org/

Phillip Rhodes

Nov 2, 2007, 1:59:01 PM11/2/07
Dan Brickley wrote:
> So what are the obvious starting points for putting together an
> opensource implementation of OpenSocial? As a container SN site I
> mean. And as an environment to experiment with extensions to, and
> deployment patterns over, their specs.
>
> Thinking out loud --- Drupal? MediaWiki? Seems not PeopleAggregator
> ([1]) although apparently source is available for nonprofit etc use,
> MugShot (which Marc Canter points us at, see [2]) ... and I guess the
> LiveJournal code of course, [3]. Hmm I wonder if any of the SixApart
> implementation will show up in the LJ code dumps.

I don't know fast it (can | will | might) happen, but I expect to add
OpenSocial support
to OpenQabal. <https://openqabal.dev.java.net>. Anybody who is
interested in
helping, just let me know. Or join us in #openqabal on Freenode IRC.

Thanks,

Phil

Tony Stubblebine

Nov 2, 2007, 2:18:20 PM11/2/07
to Social Network Portability
Right, seems like the first step is getting our hands on the SPI
documentation. We're going to release a Rails implementation of
OpenSocial as soon as we can get our hands on the spec.

For an Open spec the launch looks very unopen. I don't see any open
source partners and they haven't released any SPI documentation:
http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/partners.html

Does anyone have any leads on getting the spec?

--tony
CrowdVine Social Networks
http://www.crowdvine.com

On Nov 2, 10:38 am, "Dan Brickley" <danbrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So what are the obvious starting points for putting together an
> opensource implementation of OpenSocial? As a container SN site I
> mean. And as an environment to experiment with extensions to, and
> deployment patterns over, their specs.
>
> Thinking out loud --- Drupal? MediaWiki? Seems not PeopleAggregator
> ([1]) although apparently source is available for nonprofit etc use,
> MugShot (which Marc Canter points us at, see [2]) ... and I guess the
> LiveJournal code of course, [3]. Hmm I wonder if any of the SixApart
> implementation will show up in the LJ code dumps.
>
> BTW I just added a couple of OpenSocial feeds to the aggregator I'm

> running athttp://widgetarians.org/ --- if I'm missing anything else

> that folks here think fits the broadly widgetty theme, let me know. At
> the moment it has 42 source feeds, am always interested in suggestions
> for more.
>
> cheers,
>
> Dan
>

> [1]http://blog.broadbandmechanics.com/2006/06/mugshot-open-source-social...

Daniel Feygin

Nov 2, 2007, 2:25:09 PM11/2/07
to social-networ...@googlegroups.com
Quoting from http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/container.html:
"Soon, we will provide a development kit with documentation and code
to better support OpenSocial websites... The OpenSocial website
development kit will include full SPI documentation. It will provide
open source reference implementations..."

Daniel

Tony Stubblebine

Nov 2, 2007, 2:42:53 PM11/2/07
to Social Network Portability
Yeah, I got that far. But there must be some documentation even if it
hasn't been publicly released. I'm asking around to see what it would
take to see the documentation and when they plan on releasing
publicly. So far the release seems to be much more focused on PR than
on Openness. Still, it'll be nice when this is widely supported.

On Nov 2, 11:25 am, "Daniel Feygin" <daniel.fey...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Quoting fromhttp://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/container.html:
> "Soon, we will provide a development kit with documentation and code
> to better support OpenSocial websites... The OpenSocial website
> development kit will include full SPI documentation. It will provide
> open source reference implementations..."
>
> Daniel

Danny Ayers

Nov 2, 2007, 2:57:13 PM11/2/07
On 02/11/2007, Tony Stubblebine <tonystu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For an Open spec the launch looks very unopen. I don't see any open
> source partners and they haven't released any SPI documentation:
> http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/partners.html

The preparation in secret wasn't exactly open either, and the terms of
service might as well say "Google will let you play with the ball if
you're a good boy" [1]. But if there are plenty of implementations in
the pipeline - which seems to be the case, I doubt they could
realistically take their ball home.

I'm not at all up to speed on widgety things, but we'll no doubt
implement at least some of the API on the Talis Platform - the
different data models in there look like they should map reasonably
well to RDF/FOAF etc. But starting from scratch, Abdera could probably
help with a lot of the Atom/AtomPub aspects. CouchDB, with its JSON
interface could be a fun way too...

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/terms.html
--

http://dannyayers.com

kidehen

Nov 2, 2007, 3:42:12 PM11/2/07
to Social Network Portability
Dan,

On Nov 2, 1:38 pm, "Dan Brickley" <danbrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So what are the obvious starting points for putting together an
> opensource implementation of OpenSocial? As a container SN site I
> mean. And as an environment to experiment with extensions to, and
> deployment patterns over, their specs.
>
> Thinking out loud --- Drupal? MediaWiki? Seems not PeopleAggregator
> ([1]) although apparently source is available for nonprofit etc use,
> MugShot (which Marc Canter points us at, see [2]) ... and I guess the
> LiveJournal code of course, [3]. Hmm I wonder if any of the SixApart
> implementation will show up in the LJ code dumps.

[SNIP]

It implies:

1. Equipping these platforms with Atom Publishing Protocol support
where such doesn't exist
2. Implementing GData support (which is a few additions to Atom
Publishing Protocol)
3. Then you implement the People Network Data Access and Activity Data
Access bits using GData

Hopefully, we will have all of this done in OpenLink Data Spaces (ODS)
[1] pretty quickly since Virtuoso has supported Atom Publishing &
GData [2] since protocol since inception.

Also, we have Virtuoso hosting (i.e Virtuoso playing the roles of
Apache and MySQL) of Drupal, MediaWiki, and Wordpress already, meaning
that we will also make this a feature of those products when Virtuoso
is the deployment platform. This applies to the Open Source Editions
of Virtuoso [3] and OpenLink Data Spaces.

Finally, we also have an EC2 image of Virtuoso & ODS (packed as one)
that already instantiates with Virtuoso hosting Wordpress & phpBB3
[4].

Links:
1. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/wiki/main/Main/OdsIndex - ODS (Open
Source Edition) Page
2. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/wiki/main/Main/OdsGData - ODS &
GData
3. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/wiki/main/ - Virtuoso Open Source
Edition Page
4. http://www.openlinksw.com/dataspace/kid...@openlinksw.com/weblog/kid...@openlinksw.com%27s%20BLOG%20%5B127%5D/1261
-Blog post explaining EC2 AMI instantiation

Kingsley

> --http://danbri.org/

Julian Bond

Nov 2, 2007, 4:27:10 PM11/2/07
to social-networ...@googlegroups.com
Danny Ayers <danny...@gmail.com> Fri, 2 Nov 2007 19:57:13

>The preparation in secret wasn't exactly open either, and the terms of
>service might as well say "Google will let you play with the ball if
>you're a good boy" [1].

Allegedly the briefing in London today involved NDAs. According to
people who were there and were live posting on Twitter. ;-)

Talking of Twitter (Pownce and Jaiku). OpenSocial is hugely useful for
them. They can write a Twitter Gadget once and immediately have it work
on 10s (possibly 100s or 1000s) of sites. The other advantage for
Twitter is that they could offer a much, much richer profile page
relatively quickly by implementing the container side. Of course we
won't actually know if this is true until we see the container code and
docs.

The one thing I'm actually quite excited about is the possibility of
bolting the container code into Wordpress, Drupal and things like phpBB.
There are 10s of thousands of small niche communities out there based on
Drupal and phpBB and millions of Wordpress blogs.

--
Julian Bond E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/ T: +44 (0)192 0412 433

John Breslin

Nov 2, 2007, 4:44:23 PM11/2/07

Julian Bond said:

> The one thing I'm actually quite excited about is the possibility of
bolting the container code into Wordpress, Drupal and things like phpBB.
There are 10s of thousands of small niche communities out there based on
Drupal and phpBB and millions of Wordpress blogs.

Hear hear! Especially when you already have some social networking
functionality in these systems, like the buddylist in Drupal, my old
FOAF/friends modules for phpBB2 or by exposing buddies in phpBB3, etc.
[I am also quite interested in making social.ie (powered by vBDrupal) an
OpenSocial container.]

James Tauber

Nov 2, 2007, 5:16:20 PM11/2/07
to social-networ...@googlegroups.com
For the Django web framework as container, I just started
django-opensocial both as a Google Group[1] and a Google Code Project
Hosting project[2].

James

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/django-opensocial/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/django-opensocial/

--
James Tauber http://jtauber.com/
journeyman of some http://jtauber.com/blog/

Paul Lindner

Nov 3, 2007, 4:09:59 AM11/3/07
to Social Network Portability
Hi,

Here's my recommendations for preparing to implement an containers
as Open Source:

For the server side:
* Atom/gData support (previously mentioned)
* OAuth support (likely to be the auth standard)
* JSONP support (just because it makes it easy to pull data into JS)
* Create a generic persistence layer to store data for apps.
- this can simply be a serialized map in a database blob on a
per-app/user basis
* Consider how you will validate applications to run on your
platform
i.e. will you allow any app (via a URL ref) or will you build
your
own gallery
* Create a table to store applications that the user has installed,
and where to put them. Let the user add/update/remove apps.
* Create a canvas page module and a module for displaying a gadget
on a profile page.

For the client side:
* Read and understand how Google Gadgets functions.
- The XML data format
- The set/get prefs maps pretty well to the app data.
* Read up on IFRAME communication mechanisms.
- please note, they are all gross hacks.
* Get really familiar with OO JavaScript
* Install Firebug, unless you like clicking on alert boxes
all day and night.

Also, once the SPI is available HI5 will release it's container glue
to the
community to help jump start other containers.

Happy Hacking

Paul

On Nov 2, 10:38 am, "Dan Brickley" <danbrick...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So what are the obvious starting points for putting together an
> opensource implementation of OpenSocial? As a container SN site I
> mean. And as an environment to experiment with extensions to, and
> deployment patterns over, their specs.
>
> Thinking out loud --- Drupal? MediaWiki? Seems not PeopleAggregator
> ([1]) although apparently source is available for nonprofit etc use,
> MugShot (which Marc Canter points us at, see [2]) ... and I guess the
> LiveJournal code of course, [3]. Hmm I wonder if any of the SixApart
> implementation will show up in the LJ code dumps.
>
> BTW I just added a couple of OpenSocial feeds to the aggregator I'm

> running athttp://widgetarians.org/ --- if I'm missing anything else

> that folks here think fits the broadly widgetty theme, let me know. At
> the moment it has 42 source feeds, am always interested in suggestions
> for more.
>
> cheers,
>
> Dan
>

> [1]http://blog.broadbandmechanics.com/2006/06/mugshot-open-source-social...

melvster

Nov 5, 2007, 10:17:23 PM11/5/07
to Social Network Portability
I have written the OpenID MOD for phpBB3 and have proposed an
OpenSocial MOD. PHPBB3 (currently at RC7) could act quite well as a
container in that it already had friend and foe relationships built
in, though it's not primarily used as an SNS, there's elements there.

The Containers (Ning + Orkut, sort of plaxo) appear to be very much in
Beta at the moment, and may take a while to come out. The apps are
very much of the "redirect to the iphone page" vein the moment. This
is more or less the definitive list: http://opensocialdirectory.org/

I think an Open Source OpenSocial container (maybe with OpenID?) could
be something to be excited about. Maybe it could be done from scratch
or plugged in to some existing technology.

When I built the OpenID MOD for phpBB i barely had to change the
source code and plugged in an GPL framework to do the heavy lifting.
I am wondering if this is the way for OpenSocial. To abstract the API
into a framework so that it can be plugged in to various projects.

I think an OpenSocial Lite framework that implements some of the basic
functions could be something interesting to play around with.

On Nov 2, 9:27 pm, Julian Bond <julian_b...@voidstar.com> wrote:
> Danny Ayers <danny.ay...@gmail.com> Fri, 2 Nov 2007 19:57:13

Julian Bond

Nov 6, 2007, 1:46:52 AM11/6/07
to social-networ...@googlegroups.com
melvster <melv...@gmail.com> Mon, 5 Nov 2007 19:17:23

>When I built the OpenID MOD for phpBB i barely had to change the
>source code and plugged in an GPL framework to do the heavy lifting.
>I am wondering if this is the way for OpenSocial. To abstract the API
>into a framework so that it can be plugged in to various projects.

I'd really like to see OpenSocial and OpenID appear in the PEAR
framework. Hopefully as a start to this the Zend GData Client and
JanRain OpenID code can be moved over. I can imagine:-

- OpenID Client
- OpenID Server
- AuthSub Client
- AuthSub Server
- GData APIs Client
- GData APIs Server

And so on.

Christian Scholz (mrtopf.de)

Nov 9, 2007, 8:00:45 AM11/9/07
to Social Network Portability
> I'd really like to see OpenSocial and OpenID appear in the PEAR
> framework. Hopefully as a start to this the Zend GData Client and
> JanRain OpenID code can be moved over. I can imagine:-

And I am actually thinking about implementing these things for Plone
(which actually implements OpenID already).

To have a wide range of open source platforms supporting these things
is definitely needed to help those standards to take off (maybe OAuth
instead of AuthSub though but to support AuthSub cannot hurt either).

-- Christian

Tony Stubblebine

Nov 11, 2007, 4:14:17 AM11/11/07
to Social Network Portability
There's starting to be enough information to implement open source
versions of Open Social containers. I got a couple of the API calls
talking to my Rails app and released the code:
http://code.google.com/p/rails-open-social/

I'd welcome help. Would also like looking at other people's
implementations, even if they're in another language.

--tony

On Nov 9, 5:00 am, "Christian Scholz (mrtopf.de)"

Julian Bond

Nov 11, 2007, 6:01:53 AM11/11/07
to social-networ...@googlegroups.com
Tony Stubblebine <tonystu...@gmail.com> Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:14:17

>There's starting to be enough information to implement open source
>versions of Open Social containers. I got a couple of the API calls
>talking to my Rails app and released the code:
>http://code.google.com/p/rails-open-social/

Have you got any examples that deliver data? Mine is at
http://www.ecademy.com/feeds/people/1

melvster

Nov 11, 2007, 5:35:05 PM11/11/07
to Social Network Portability
I have started working on the OpenSocial MOD for phpbb3. Using the
google reference implentation I have slotted it in to the phpbb
framework here and this will be released under GPL.

http://www.phpbbopensocial.com/test.php

I'm sure it displays apps properly, but at least it's a start. Still
early days, but since phpbb3 can define freinds and foe relationships,
this should be one of the first open source OpenSocial implementations
"in the wild".

On Nov 11, 12:01 pm, Julian Bond <julian_b...@voidstar.com> wrote:
> Tony Stubblebine <tonystubbleb...@gmail.com> Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:14:17

> >There's starting to be enough information to implement open source
> >versions of Open Social containers. I got a couple of the API calls
> >talking to my Rails app and released the code:
> >http://code.google.com/p/rails-open-social/
>

> Have you got any examples that deliver data? Mine is athttp://www.ecademy.com/feeds/people/1

John Panzer

Nov 12, 2007, 12:37:49 AM11/12/07
to social-networ...@googlegroups.com

One caveat:  The released project at http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-container-sample is an early sample rather than a real reference implementation.  Please don't build something intended for public release on top of it.  It really doesn't provide for any security at all.  We _are_ planning on releasing real reference implementations as soon as possible.

Regards,
John

smudge

Nov 17, 2007, 4:51:55 AM11/17/07
to Social Network Portability
At <a href="http://www.barnraiser.org/"> we are working with OpenID
and OAuth for this. There is a blog entry called "<a href="http://
www.barnraiser.org/index.php?wp=blog&blog_id=16">OpenSocial</a>" on
the site which explores this. Download AMPi if you want to try it out.

AaronF

Nov 18, 2007, 2:49:24 PM11/18/07
to Social Network Portability
Well, MindTouch plans to get here with Deki Wiki asap. To get an idea
of what I'm talking about look here: http://www.viddler.com/explore/Roebot/videos/15/
, this will be especially interesting with our upcoming launch of a
shared hosted site at www.wik.is (registration currently turned off).
We have a very active community and given our architecture
implementation should be clean and simple. I encourage you to check
out our API: http://wiki.opengarden.org/Deki_Wiki/API_Reference and
visit our forums: http://forums.opengarden.org I'm certain you can get
others there interested in this concept.