How does SmartGit log works?

Paweł Szczygielski

May 17, 2021, 7:35:31 AMMay 17
to SmartGit
Hi,

I prepared test repository in order to present different types of merging. I made presentation and one attendant pointed that his log history is different than mine. I checked and that's true - git console and visual studio show only part of the history while SmartGit shows everything.
This is the repository:
Git1.png
On branch BugFix_Refactoring I split file SupportedLanguages.txt to two files: SupportedLanguages_Codes.txt and SupportedLanguages_Names.txt. Then I squash merged BugFix_Refactoring to the master.

Being on master I want to examine the new files histories. The histories in SmartGit contain commits related to new files and original file (SupportedLanguages.txt).
Git2.png
Which is great. BUT, when I open Git console and write: git log -- SupportedLanguages_Codes.txt then I get only the commit from the master:

Git3.png
The same if I examine this file in Visual Studio Git plugin.

Can you please explain why the results are different? What SmartGit does to provide me with full history?

Thank you in advance,
Best regards
Paweł

syntevo Support

May 17, 2021, 9:01:42 AMMay 17
to smar...@googlegroups.com
> Can you please explain why the results are different? What SmartGit does to
> provide me with full history?

SmartGit will log all selected branches from the Branches view. The command line you gave will only use HEAD. Could that explain the difference?

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartgit/04d47bd6-948e-413d-86cb-a87b0277b1b6n%40googlegroups.com.

Paweł Szczygielski

May 18, 2021, 9:07:38 AMMay 18
to SmartGit
Hi Marc,
yes, that explains it, thank you.

I checked: git log --follow --all -- SupportedLanguages_Codes.txt and indeed, it shows everything.
So additional question is:

How to check what exact command SmartGit sends in order to show full blame for the file? I have the same problem, but this time nothing I tried works.
Maybe you know how to examine the commands SmartGit issues?
Best regards
Paweł

syntevo Support

May 18, 2021, 9:20:36 AMMay 18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
> How to check what exact command SmartGit sends in order to show full blame
> for the file? I have the same problem, but this time nothing I tried works.
> Maybe you know how to examine the commands SmartGit issues?

SmartGit has its own blame implementation which is using JGit to directly access the Git objects database. For blame, the data structure which SmartGit generates contains all lines of all versions of that file. I don't think there is a corresponding "git blame" option for that as this kind of data is only useful if you can interact with the blame result (like in SmartGit's GUI).

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartgit/b7307ce5-f31a-42e2-8388-c78b04fdf3afn%40googlegroups.com.

Paweł Szczygielski

May 20, 2021, 1:57:24 AMMay 20
to SmartGit
Marc, I think that this concludes the case. Thank you very much for your responses.
Best regards
Paweł