Skia: mac osx opengl deprecation and current state of metal api

Chris Allen

Jun 6, 2018, 9:16:45 AM6/6/18
to skia-discuss
Hey all, Ive read a few old posts and read through the api docs on skia.org

At WWDC18 they have announced deprecating opengl usage on mac os, starting from the upcoming Mojave version.

My question, at what percentage is the skia metal implementation complete? Just wanted to know its current state and if this is in any active progress?

Many thanks,

Chris

Ryan Gonzalez

Jun 6, 2018, 9:45:35 AM6/6/18
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com, Chris Allen

You could always use the Vulkan backend + MoltenVK.

Chris Allen

Jun 6, 2018, 12:03:08 PM6/6/18
to skia-discuss
AH thanks, will that work in mac os or would some skia source code still need to be mapped to metal somehow

Chris Allen

Jun 6, 2018, 12:05:52 PM6/6/18
to skia-discuss
...plus how feature complete is skia in vulkan at the moment?

Jim Van Verth

Jun 6, 2018, 3:28:21 PM6/6/18
to skia-discuss
The Vulkan implementation is pretty much feature complete at this point. In most cases it's quite solid and faster than our OpenGL implementation.

Chris Allen

Jun 7, 2018, 3:25:44 PM6/7/18
to skia-discuss
ok good to know will try switching to vulkan and using molten... has anyone tried this before? Hoping this will work, thanks again.

Greg Daniel

Jun 7, 2018, 3:32:01 PM6/7/18
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
We do have a MoltenVk test bot that runs with our Vulkan backend. But we do find that MoltenVk still has a bunch of bugs in it so I'm not sure how reliable it is right now.

Chris Allen

Jun 7, 2018, 3:49:15 PM6/7/18
to skia-discuss
ah, thanks...its an interesting dillema as mac will eventually 'turn off' opengl in future. What will happen to the skia implementation on chrome?? Will there likely be a decision to port to metal directly?

Mike Reed

Jun 7, 2018, 4:03:18 PM6/7/18
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
That is our hope.

Chris Allen

Jun 8, 2018, 8:45:50 AM6/8/18
to skia-discuss
thanks Mike, looking forward to when this happens :)

Michael Katz

May 26, 2023, 9:18:34 AM5/26/23
to skia-discuss
Five years later, can someone give me a brief summary of where things stand with Skia's support for Metal? If it matters, my use case is just drawing lines of different widths and colors (including alpha), and drawing filled polygons (including alpha).

Brian Osman

May 26, 2023, 9:20:21 AM5/26/23
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
The Metal backend is robust and mature, well-tested, and used in shipping products. If you encounter any issues with it, please let us know!

Jim Van Verth

May 26, 2023, 11:02:41 AM5/26/23
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
And to be clear this is direct to Metal, not through MoltenVK.

--

Jim Van Verth |
 Software Engineer | Google.com

Michael Katz

May 26, 2023, 2:01:59 PM5/26/23
to skia-discuss
Thanks very much. And just to confirm, this means I can create an OpenGL surface on Windows, and a Metal surface on macOS, and then treat the surfaces with more or less identical drawing code, correct?