SESSION BUDDY V3 END OF LIFE

Session Buddy Support

Mar 15, 2024, 2:33:34 PMMar 15
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
For those jumping through hoops to stay on SB v3, please be aware that SB v3 will stop working due to Chrome deprecations when Chrome updates to v124.

Accommodating Chrome deprecations and ensuring a smooth transition was a major part of the v4 effort. Please read the release notes: https://sessionbuddy.com/v4/

The underlying database file will likely persist for a bit beyond that, enabling recovery, but there are no guarantees.

For anyone that needs it, a migration tool will be set up to allow a v3 database file to be converted to a file that can be imported to v4.

For info on locating the v3 database file, see: https://sessionbuddy.com/data-location/

Hans

Mohammad Noor

Mar 15, 2024, 2:53:13 PMMar 15
to Session Buddy Discussion
Isn't there anyway that you could give users a roll back option or release a separate extension called something like Session Buddy Legacy or Session Buddy Lite which functions and looks just like SB v3 with the additions of using indexedDB instead of webSQL as well as the minor bug fixes so it continues to work past Chrome v124. I am willing to PAY YOU MONEY for this Hans, please I beg of you. I'm sure the majority of users would also love a chance to go back to using v3.

Session Buddy Support

Mar 15, 2024, 3:27:59 PMMar 15
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, no.

Even if there were time, it would take 4-6 months to port v3 to both IndexedDB and Manifest v3.

We've tried our best, but it's impossible to advance a product at this scale without disrupting some existing workflows. That's an unfortunate reality, but please note that all the core features of Session Buddy remain intact. You can still save your open tabs as collections. SB still recovers tabs after a crash. You can still manage your open tabs in one place. You can still search your collections. And v4 brings a lot more on top of that that many folks have been requesting for some time. See: https://sessionbuddy.com/v4/

Please take some time to explore the new version and all the ways it's been improved. Once you've given it a fair chance and it's not working quite like you want it to, let's talk about it and work together on ideas to streamline it through open dialog.

Cheers,
Hans

R Cache

Mar 15, 2024, 3:33:26 PMMar 15
to Session Buddy Discussion
From what I understand, due to Manifest v3 compliance, support for SB v3.x is really no longer possible.

See here:

and here:

At present, you CAN install SB v3.6.9 using the .crx.

But I have no idea how long that will continue to function and it may be automatically upgraded to v4.x even if extension upgrading is turned off.

Session Buddy Support

Mar 15, 2024, 3:41:39 PMMar 15
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
The imminent risk for running SB v3 is the webSQL deprecation moreso than Manifest v3.

Just to be clear, if you run SB v3 you risk permanent data loss.